Night at Suck Mansion

Night at Suck Mansion

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Three tales of angstful adventure await you in this hilarious brouhaha of rain-soaked idiocy. Follow our young narrator as he discovers what a douchebag he used to be and how lucky he is now. At times funny, at times sad, at all times romantic and weird, this volume will teach you life's most important lesson: never to hang out with girls who live in time-traveling castles...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Big Rodent Books

Llalan
The author and illustrator of "Night at Suck Mansion" have created a volume that will bring to mind Edward Gorey--if Gorey was a clumsy and hopeless romantic. The dreams that fill the pages of "Suck Mansion" are dripping, four-color, visceral, tangible, sit-up-straight-in-a-sweat dreams. Yet the reader doesn't want to shake her head of the residual dream-webs; rather, she wants to hear more of the "Truth pouring blue foam like heroic waterfalls." Gallagher carefully crafts three-dimensional imag...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
A unique book containing three poems.

I won this in a goodreads first reads giveaway. I was very interested in reading poems of irony.

The first, "Night at Suck Mansion" is pretty much a nightmare. It has a demented edge: ghosts, tarot cards, mind reading, skeletons , etc. Too bad I read it the day after Halloween. It would be perfect to get into the proper creepy kind of mood.

The second poem is "The Fortunate Lies". It is a mix of emotions. The quest to figure out what is real.

The last poem is v...more
Angela
Gallagher's Night at Suck Mansion is a strange series of stories. Though a fast read, at times I found myself struggling to continue because the story felt disjointed. He is incredibly talented at using creative word choice and vivid imagery. I particularly enjoyed the imagery of the blushing cheeks with the comparison to a forest fire and the development of the narrator throughout the three stories. My struggle in reading this was simply because this is a story told in verse.
A lover of poetry a...more
Rebekah M
what did the sisters represent??? a mystery for the ages...

I usually find it kind of difficult to make meaning out of poetry, but Mr. Gallagher is direct and concrete. even the happy poems were great because they were so realistically cynical. it's possible to write a cynical, happy poem! there is hope for all of us.
Christine
I received a copy of this through First Reads. Although I am not typically a fan of poetry, there was something about the way Gallagher wove his words together kept me thinking about Night at Suck Mansion long after I finished reading it.
Jill
Maybe I'm biased, but the poems in this book made me fall in love with the author. I've committed many of the lines to memory, but I won't write them here, as that would spoil the beautiful surprises contained in the poetry. Read it!

Joe
Oct 12, 2010 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2010
I wrote the book, so I thought it was pretty good. The illustrations are excellent.
Jessee
Beautifully strange, like its author.
Lo
Lo marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
V
V marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2011
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2011
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2010
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2010
Sёkoya♪♫ Dixon
Sёkoya♪♫ Dixon marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2010
Katey
Katey marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2010
Edward Reinholtz
Edward Reinholtz marked it as to-read
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Voula
Voula marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2010
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mindy/fangedmom
Mindy/fangedmom marked it as to-read
Linda Cohen
Linda Cohen marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2010
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2010
Kayla Sakolsky
Kayla Sakolsky marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2010