Start by marking “How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer” as Want to Read:
How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer

How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
• Which explorer found the lost site of Jesus' first miracle?
• Who was first to the top of the highest mountain in Peru?
• Who was the first Westerner to visit the Ottoman harem in Constantinople?
• Who held the world record as the only person to fly from Britain to Australia for 44 years?

You'll find the answers to these questions and more in Mick Conefrey's charming new boo
Published March 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt

SmartBitches
Aug 12, 2015 SmartBitches rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-grade, nonfiction
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Oh my gosh, fellow history buffs, clear your schedule – How To Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer is so much fun. This book is all about women who were explorers and adventurers, including early explorers such as Lady Hester Stanhope (1776 – 1839) and more modern women such as Jerri Nielsen (1952-2009).

In an earlier book, Conefrey wrote about male adventurers and tried to distill some universal life lessons from their experien
Cindy
Apr 13, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
Though this book reads likes a college essay on women explorers, I still enjoyed learning about the wide variety of women and their adventures. There is little depth, just a simple lighthearted reporting on women adventurers over the last 200 years.
Io Nuca
Feb 20, 2014 Io Nuca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, english
O mini-enciclopedie despre unele dintre cele mai aventuriere femei. Girl power ftw!

„May French Sheldon armed herself with a pair of Colt revolvers and a Winchester rifle, giving her '31 chances to shoot without having to reload'. One day, when her porters were looking particularly mutinous, she unholstered her Colts and downed a vulture with her first shot. Then she turned the guns on her men and ordered them to keep moving - or else. No one argued. On another occasion, a Masai warrior flew at h
Chris
Aug 13, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! this book. Mick Conefrey gives women their just due as explorers and does it in a funny way! The book celebrates females throughout history who have been adventurers to foreign lands. It is set up so you can easily pick it up, thumb through and read a few pages. Although I do recommend starting at the beginning as Conefrey does a great job describing the inhibiting clothing women had to wear, and the awful food they sometimes ate. A great bedside table book to pick up as you ar ...more
Megan
Oct 04, 2014 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an early birthday gift from my dear friend Elisa. It was very interesting, and I think the thing that kept me at 3 stars was that I wish the author would've gone into more detail on some of the adventurers he discussed. Everyone knows Amelia Earhart's name, but there are so many other women who have been pilots, hikers, climbers, sailors, and pioneers that we just don't hear much, if anything, about. This book was a good overview of many of those women who went places in the day an ...more
Kara
Apr 17, 2016 Kara rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. An entire book devoted to women explorers / travelers / badasses? Sweet!

Not so much.

This book is obviously well researched. But completely lacking in any sort of story that you can really bite into. More "She did this, then this, then came back and did this."

Two, the layout is kind of distracting. The insets aren't necessarily set off enough to realize when you've got one, versus continuing on the story you've got.

Three, I'm not entirely sure if it's tongue and
Rosie
Apr 19, 2016 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20th-century, travel
I found this a compelling and entertaining book, full of tales of amazing, inspirational and often humerus women. I'm off to read some of Freya Stark's books now!
Sho
a thoroughly ripping read, it made me want to get my exploring boots on and hotfoot it to the Amazon or Darkest Africa.

In the history of exploration, avaition, mountineering and the like the women who forged their way through jungle, accross glaciers or flew accross sees are often overlooked. So when this came up as the Kindle Deal of the Day i couldn't resist it.

It's in public-transport friendly, or bedtime-reading sized chunks, and is a well written jog through a brief explanation of the journ
Nadia Mughal
Jan 09, 2014 Nadia Mughal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Just a light introduction to some of the most gutsy, adventurous women out there. Inspiring but not heavy. Good beginners guide
Barbara
Feb 27, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely! Never the less, it took me a while to get through because after reading each vignette, I HAD to look up photos and read more about that particular explorer. I now have a whole slew of fascinating women to admire, and hopefully inspire my own traveling adventures. Not to mention, several of their books to read!
Fal
Jul 11, 2012 Fal rated it really liked it
One of the few non-fiction books that swept me up and carried me away! Loved the narrative of the writing. While the author has a male voice, his attention to the feminine issues discussed is wonderful. Inspiring and fun, by the end of the book I was ready to hitch up my skirt and climb a mountain myself.
Santhi
Sep 20, 2014 Santhi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hel Gibbons
Could have done without all the 'so we find women are better than men at x and worse at x'. The material is interesting enough on its own without clumsy editorial gender commentary.
yengyeng
Ascending a mountain in Victorian skirts and petticoats can be done. Well researched, with more useful survival tips, and a joy to read, especially for an armchair traveller.
Kristin
Apr 30, 2013 Kristin rated it it was ok
This interesting topic was covered with no depth whatsoever; each explorer was described in about 3 paragraphs. Too bad, because I wanted to enjoy it.
Melissa
Jun 14, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, nonfiction
This was fun and educational. I now have some names to look up for more in depth reading on female explorers.
Littlenightowl
This was a really interesting read!
Austra
Oct 08, 2013 Austra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelling
Travel is a form of madness.
Susan
Feb 21, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read.
Sula Bruce
Sula Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Stacia
Stacia marked it as to-read
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
B. Fortune
B. Fortune rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Katie Staal
Katie Staal marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Mallory Hebert
Mallory Hebert is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jumbo: This Being the True Story of the Greatest Elephant in the World
  • Egyptomania: Our Three Thousand Year Obsession with the Land of the Pharaohs
  • A Concise History of the Arabs
  • Memento Mori: The Dead Among Us
  • Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard
  • Like a Virgin: How Science Is Redesigning The Rules Of Sex
  • The World's Greatest Idea: The Fifty Greatest Ideas That Have Changed Humanity
  • Crime Scene
  • Mountains of the Mind: A History of a Fascination
  • Tales From The Mall
  • How to Destroy the Universe: and 34 Other Really Interesting Uses of Physics
  • Nurse! Nurse!: A Student Nurse's Story
Mick Conefrey is the author of the award-winning Adventurer’s Handbook and How to Climb Mont Blanc in a Skirt. An internationally recognised filmmaker, he has produced several BBC documentaries on mountaineering and exploration, including The Race for Everest. He lives in north Oxford with his family.
More about Mick Conefrey...