How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer

How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  13 reviews
• Which explorer found the lost site of Jesus' first
miracle?

• Who was first to the top of the highest mountain
in Peru?

• Who was the first Westerner to visit the Ottoman

harem in Constantinople?

• Who held the world record as the only person to fly
from Britain to Australia for 44 years?

You’ll find the answers to these questions and more in Mick Conefrey’s charming new b...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published January 1st 2010)

Cindy
Though this book reads likes a college essay on women explorers, I still enjoyed learning about the wide variety of women and their adventures. There is little depth, just a simple lighthearted reporting on women adventurers over the last 200 years.
Io Nuca
O mini-enciclopedie despre unele dintre cele mai aventuriere femei. Girl power ftw!

„May French Sheldon armed herself with a pair of Colt revolvers and a Winchester rifle, giving her '31 chances to shoot without having to reload'. One day, when her porters were looking particularly mutinous, she unholstered her Colts and downed a vulture with her first shot. Then she turned the guns on her men and ordered them to keep moving - or else. No one argued. On another occasion, a Masai warrior flew at h...more
Sho
a thoroughly ripping read, it made me want to get my exploring boots on and hotfoot it to the Amazon or Darkest Africa.

In the history of exploration, avaition, mountineering and the like the women who forged their way through jungle, accross glaciers or flew accross sees are often overlooked. So when this came up as the Kindle Deal of the Day i couldn't resist it.

It's in public-transport friendly, or bedtime-reading sized chunks, and is a well written jog through a brief explanation of the journ...more
Nadia Mughal
I loved this. Just a light introduction to some of the most gutsy, adventurous women out there. Inspiring but not heavy. Good beginners guide
Barbara
I enjoyed this book immensely! Never the less, it took me a while to get through because after reading each vignette, I HAD to look up photos and read more about that particular explorer. I now have a whole slew of fascinating women to admire, and hopefully inspire my own traveling adventures. Not to mention, several of their books to read!
Fal
One of the few non-fiction books that swept me up and carried me away! Loved the narrative of the writing. While the author has a male voice, his attention to the feminine issues discussed is wonderful. Inspiring and fun, by the end of the book I was ready to hitch up my skirt and climb a mountain myself.
Santhi
Helen Apocalypse
Could have done without all the 'so we find women are better than men at x and worse at x'. The material is interesting enough on its own without clumsy editorial gender commentary.
yengyeng
Ascending a mountain in Victorian skirts and petticoats can be done. Well researched, with more useful survival tips, and a joy to read, especially for an armchair traveller.
Kristin
This interesting topic was covered with no depth whatsoever; each explorer was described in about 3 paragraphs. Too bad, because I wanted to enjoy it.
Melissa
This was fun and educational. I now have some names to look up for more in depth reading on female explorers.
Littlenightowl
This was a really interesting read!
Austra
Travel is a form of madness.
Guy Dear
Guy Dear marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
FrannieMay
FrannieMay is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Pilar Rivett
Pilar Rivett marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Deanie
Deanie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
May 22, 2014
Emily Bledsoe
Emily Bledsoe marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Adele Mitchell
Adele Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Adrienne Fleck
Adrienne Fleck marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Adventurer’s Handbook: Life Lessons from History's Great Explorers Everest 1953: The Epic Story of the First Ascent Mountain Men: The Remarkable Climbers And Determined Eccentrics Who First Scaled The World's Most Famous Peaks Everest 1953: The Epic Story of the First Ascent The Adventurer's Handbook