Start by marking “How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer” as Want to Read:
How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer

How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  17 reviews
• Which explorer found the lost site of Jesus' first miracle?
• Who was first to the top of the highest mountain in Peru?
• Who was the first Westerner to visit the Ottoman harem in Constantinople?
• Who held the world record as the only person to fly from Britain to Australia for 44 years?

You'll find the answers to these questions and more in Mick Conefrey's charming new boo
Published March 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt

Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Oh my gosh, fellow history buffs, clear your schedule – How To Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt: A Handbook for the Lady Adventurer is so much fun. This book is all about women who were explorers and adventurers, including early explorers such as Lady Hester Stanhope (1776 – 1839) and more modern women such as Jerri Nielsen (1952-2009).

In an earlier book, Conefrey wrote about male adventurers and tried to distill some universal life lessons from their experien
Though this book reads likes a college essay on women explorers, I still enjoyed learning about the wide variety of women and their adventures. There is little depth, just a simple lighthearted reporting on women adventurers over the last 200 years.
Io Nuca
O mini-enciclopedie despre unele dintre cele mai aventuriere femei. Girl power ftw!

„May French Sheldon armed herself with a pair of Colt revolvers and a Winchester rifle, giving her '31 chances to shoot without having to reload'. One day, when her porters were looking particularly mutinous, she unholstered her Colts and downed a vulture with her first shot. Then she turned the guns on her men and ordered them to keep moving - or else. No one argued. On another occasion, a Masai warrior flew at h
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! this book. Mick Conefrey gives women their just due as explorers and does it in a funny way! The book celebrates females throughout history who have been adventurers to foreign lands. It is set up so you can easily pick it up, thumb through and read a few pages. Although I do recommend starting at the beginning as Conefrey does a great job describing the inhibiting clothing women had to wear, and the awful food they sometimes ate. A great bedside table book to pick up as you ar ...more
This book was an early birthday gift from my dear friend Elisa. It was very interesting, and I think the thing that kept me at 3 stars was that I wish the author would've gone into more detail on some of the adventurers he discussed. Everyone knows Amelia Earhart's name, but there are so many other women who have been pilots, hikers, climbers, sailors, and pioneers that we just don't hear much, if anything, about. This book was a good overview of many of those women who went places in the day an ...more
a thoroughly ripping read, it made me want to get my exploring boots on and hotfoot it to the Amazon or Darkest Africa.

In the history of exploration, avaition, mountineering and the like the women who forged their way through jungle, accross glaciers or flew accross sees are often overlooked. So when this came up as the Kindle Deal of the Day i couldn't resist it.

It's in public-transport friendly, or bedtime-reading sized chunks, and is a well written jog through a brief explanation of the journ
Nadia Mughal
I loved this. Just a light introduction to some of the most gutsy, adventurous women out there. Inspiring but not heavy. Good beginners guide
I enjoyed this book immensely! Never the less, it took me a while to get through because after reading each vignette, I HAD to look up photos and read more about that particular explorer. I now have a whole slew of fascinating women to admire, and hopefully inspire my own traveling adventures. Not to mention, several of their books to read!
One of the few non-fiction books that swept me up and carried me away! Loved the narrative of the writing. While the author has a male voice, his attention to the feminine issues discussed is wonderful. Inspiring and fun, by the end of the book I was ready to hitch up my skirt and climb a mountain myself.
Helen Apocalypse
Could have done without all the 'so we find women are better than men at x and worse at x'. The material is interesting enough on its own without clumsy editorial gender commentary.
Ascending a mountain in Victorian skirts and petticoats can be done. Well researched, with more useful survival tips, and a joy to read, especially for an armchair traveller.
This interesting topic was covered with no depth whatsoever; each explorer was described in about 3 paragraphs. Too bad, because I wanted to enjoy it.
This was fun and educational. I now have some names to look up for more in depth reading on female explorers.
This was a really interesting read!
Travel is a form of madness.
Ana Day
Ana Day marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Kelsie marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Andreana marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Jennie is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2015
Jenny added it
Sep 30, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
  • Jumbo: This Being the True Story of the Greatest Elephant in the World
  • The World's Greatest Idea: The Fifty Greatest Ideas That Have Changed Humanity
  • Marilyn
  • Memento Mori: The Dead Among Us
  • Egyptomania: Our Three Thousand Year Obsession with the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Misadventure in the Middle East: Travels as Tramp, Artist, & Spy
  • Confessions from Correspondentland: The Dangers and Delights of Life as a Foreign Correspondent
  • How to Destroy the Universe: and 34 Other Really Interesting Uses of Physics
  • Mountains of the Mind: A History of a Fascination
  • Shakespeare on Toast: Getting a Taste for the Bard
  • Crime Scene
  • The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer
  • The Diaries of a Fleet Street Fox
  • The Secret Olympian: The inside story of the Olympic experience
  • Radio Congo: Signals of Hope from Africa's Deadliest War
  • The Man in the Rubber Mask
  • Like a Virgin: How Science Is Redesigning The Rules Of Sex
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on t he Planet
Mick Conefrey is the author of the award-winning Adventurer’s Handbook and How to Climb Mont Blanc in a Skirt. An internationally recognised filmmaker, he has produced several BBC documentaries on mountaineering and exploration, including The Race for Everest. He lives in north Oxford with his family.
More about Mick Conefrey...
The Adventurer’s Handbook: Life Lessons from History's Great Explorers Everest 1953: The Epic Story of the First Ascent Mountain Men: The Remarkable Climbers And Determined Eccentrics Who First Scaled The World's Most Famous Peaks The Adventurer's Handbook Icemen