To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service

To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Rabbi Donin offers a detailed guide to Jewish prayer which takes the reader through the entire prescribed course of Jewish liturgy, offering historical background, religious teaching, and practical instruction for each element of the service.Why do Jews pray? What is the role of prayer in their lives as moral and ethical beings? From the simplest details of how to comport...more
Published October 11th 1991 by Basic Books (first published October 10th 1991)

Vania Melamed
Rabbi Donin gives the best, most detailed explanations of religious observances in friendly, laymen terms. This book, and To Be a Jew, are almost primers of how to live righteously and correctly according to the laws of Torah. Most beneficial to people who feel spiritually cheated by the Reform and Conservative American Jewish movements.
Nicole
I found this a very interesting and helpful book that helped me understand synagogue services a bit better, and that has helped me understand more about different prayers said at different occasions. A definite recommendation for those interested in Jewish prayer, the Hebrew words of prayers, and the goings-on in synagogues.
Laura Weakley
This should be required reading!
amanda
Recommended by Rabbi......
Joel Kleehammer
Rabbi Hayim Halevy Donin is an amazingly talented author and teacher. His books on Judaism rival other modern greats, such as Rabbi Joseph Telushkin and Rabbi Harold Kushner. This book teaches us the basic prayer service, order of the siddur, and they why -in addition to the how. When read together with his book To Be a Jew, there seems to be more to learn than I can take in. I recommend reading this book, putting it down, then coming back to see how much more you can learn.

Rebecca Wright
I don't know if I'll ever be "done" reading this one. I'm going to have to return it to the library and buy my own copy, I think.
Craig J.
To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service by Hayim H. Donin (1991)
Abdul Aziz
Abdul Aziz marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Belle
Belle marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Beth Ann
Beth Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Janel
Janel marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Dawn Clevenger
Dawn Clevenger marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs & Rituals
  • Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History
  • Living a Jewish Life: Jewish Traditions, Customs and Values for Today's Families
  • The Jewish Book of Why
  • The Essential Talmud
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2
  • Boychiks in the Hood: Travels in the Hasidic Underground
To Be A Jew: A Guide To Jewish Observance In Contemporary Life To Raise A Jewish Child: A Guide For Parents Sukkot