Start by marking “Bumpy Landings” as Want to Read:
Bumpy Landings

Bumpy Landings

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When Jordan MacDonald goes behind his mother's back to get his pilot's license, he soon finds out that a life full of dishonesty attracts more turbulence than he's ever faced in the air. Set against the majestic backdrop of the Hawaiian islands, this heartwarming story of romance and self-discovery will take you to new heights with each turn of the page.
Published January 8th 2011 by Bonneville Books (first published January 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bumpy Landings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bumpy Landings

Marri
This first novel by my brother, Don, is set in beautiful Hawaii and is a story of love, leis, and lies. I have just started reading and am excited to finish. Just a note, although the book is fictitious, I know some of you may wonder how much is based on actual people and events. The sister of the main character may sometimes resemble me, but when she is whiny, annoying, or not nice, it is clearly fictitious or perhaps he was drawing from another sister. :)
Krista Jensen
Donald J. Carey's BUMPY LANDINGS is something sweet, tropical and fun, sprinkled with cringe-worthy coming-of-age awkwardities and challenges. There I go making up words again. It's a clean coming-of-age romance.

I immediately felt compassion for Jordan MacDonald, the main character, as he is just trying so hard to be a man, to do the right thing, to follow his heart. But obstacle after big Hawaiian obstacle is clonked in his way. To build up his courage, Jordan tells himself he's changed because
Maggie
This wasn't for me. I was really excited reading the description, but what it doesn't mention is that it's based completely around the morman faith. There is nothing wrong with that really, but you'd think it would have been mentioned...

I also REALLY disliked the main character. I thought he was selfish and weak. It was so annoying that he pretty much thought his life was over if he didn't get a girlfriend/wife. And the end, I just didn't agree with it. And his mom was huge bitch, and that was n
Lynn
If you're looking for the perfect book to read during a cold spell, "Bumpy Landings" is it! This tale of love and lies, pilots and pani popo will draw you in from the first page.

Don Carey's characters are as warm as the Hawaiian climate. You'll enjoy this coming of age story. I know I'm hoping for a sequel!
Rebecca Talley
GREAT story. Who knew Don Carey was such a romantic? I loved reading it from the male POV. I also loved how he tied the story together and weaved in so many threads. Highly recommend it!
Heather
See our teaser here http://nblo.gs/cR11b

At 21 years old Jordan McDonald has decided he's ready to be an adult and take on his dreams. Never mind the fact that he still lives at home with an overbearing mother who is out to control him every step of the way. Or the fact that he's painfully stuck in socially awkward situations. He dreams of completing his pilot's license, his deceased father's wish for him. But he's experiencing turbulence while navigating the paths of his life.

Set in Lai'e, Haw
Elizabeth Mueller
I'm so impressed with how naturally Don has created this story. The characters feel amazingly real. The plot flows. The conflict is real. I'm tempted to ask if the author himself experienced these trials!

Okay, thanks for your patience! Here is my review!!!

What a delightful read!

LDS returned missionary Jordan MacDonald has a secret. A secret he refuses to share with his mother, who has life figured out for him. It is one that he has promised his father he'd fulfill no matter the cost.

But when it
Katie Watkins
I think the most unique thing about Bumpy Landings is that it's from a male point of view. Jordan is a recently returned missionary who is back home in Hawaii (who wouldn't love that?), looking to move on with his life--school, work, girlfriend, pilot's license--and finds himself along the way.

I thought the characters were great. Jordan's mother was so controlling! It drove me crazy that she would say jump and he'd ask how high. I thought it was crazy how he started to sneak around and lie to h
Tiffany
This story was a well written thought provoking story. I think the reason that I liked it so well was that I so identified with the main character. I liked that the main character dealt with real life problems and choices. I liked that the main character grew throughout the book and was able to see the things that could help him be a better person.
I love the descriptions that the author used to describe Hawaii and the sites that the character saw. I love that the character in the book hasn't los
Tamara Hart
My favorite part about this romance: It's from a male's POV. But at the same time, I could totally relate because it's a guy who seems to always fumble his encounters with the opposite sex.

Set in Hawaii, there couldn't be a better time of year to read this book. I could almost feel the tropical sunshine and smell the ocean breezes. Ah, refreshing. And Jordan, the MC, is going through a growth spurt: breaking away from Mom's tyrannical reign, learning you can kiss a girl and really like her but
Shanda
Read full review here:

I'll never forget the first time I met Donald. Hillary and I had just started interviewing people at the April 2010 LDStorymakers Conference when a gentleman caught my attention and introduced himself. I was ecstatic to meet Don because I had never before met one of the male listeners to the LDS Women's Book Review podcast.

As I interviewed him and learned more about his book scheduled to be released in January 2011, I was surprised t
Tristi
Our main character is Jordan McDonald. He's recently returned from his mission and has made up his mind to reinvent himself. He wants to make a success of his life and achieve some dreams he's had for a long time - mainly, to get his pilot's license and honor his deceased father's last wish for him. But his mother has reasons of her own for not supporting Jordan in his dream, and he must decide whether to openly defy her, turn his back on his father's request, or sneak around behind her back. He ...more
Christy Dorrity
Bumpy Landings is fresh and clean, like a tropical wind.

Food to eat while reading: Torqued Pani Popo (www.dearestdreams.com)

Bumpy Landings by Don Carey is anything but bumpy. The writing is smooth and flowing and I lost myself in Jordan MacDonald’s Hawaiian world.

First off, I love Hawaii so I just soaked in the culture and setting that Carey deftly wove into the background. I was immediately drawn into the story and soon found myself relating to Jordan and his flight plights.
One of the things I
Michael Knudsen
I started reading Donald J. Carey’s Bumpy Landings on a January morning when it was 4 degrees outside. It only took a few pages before I was feeling the warm, tropical breeze from Carey’s story set in the friendly little Mormon community of Lai’e, Hawaii.

Jordan MacDonald is the type of protagonist anyone will identify with, but young people painfully caught between youth and adulthood will find him particularly compelling. As a recently returned missionary, he’s living at home with his widowed m
Debbie Cranberry Fries
Jordan MacDonald has a lot on his plate as he is trying to figure out who he is and what life has in store for him. He's got to figure out how to set new boundaries in his relationship with his mom, react to growing up (wanting to find something he's good at and going to college), deal with old acquaintances as he's trying to reestablish himself, interact with new friends (and girls he's attracted to!) and get more involved (and find more success) in the dating world. How does one person handle ...more
Anna
I've been a follower of Don's blog when he was in the non-published stage of writing. I was happy to learn that he got a book published. I decided to buy the book to support him because all first time authors need support.

Now to the review: It took a little bit for me to get into the story, but once I did get into it, I just wanted to keep reading.

There were a few characters that I could tell where suppose to feel a certain way, but I didn't really get why. But besides that, I enjoyed reading it
Danyelle Ferguson
I really enjoyed Bumpy Landings. I loved the setting - hey, who doesn't want to go to Hawaii? It's the perfect break from all this winter snow!

This isn't what I would really call a romance book, but an interesting story of a college aged man who is trying to find his path in life - what he stands for, who he can trust, and also how to recognize love and be brave enough to overcome his natural shyness to share his feelings.

Don Carey weaves an interesting story, one that's definitely worthy of put
Linda
I picked this book up at a book signing and I'm glad I did. It is a story of a Jordan a young man who had just got off his mission and is not who is was in high school but still trying to find himself with a bit more confidence than he had before. It is set in Hawaii where they moved when his mother and father divorced years ago. His mother is a bit overbearing I think. Jordan learns to fly, falls in love, gets rejected, accepted and through it all finds who he really is. It was a lighthearted s ...more
Stacie
I really liked this book. I had not read this author before so I was excited when I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. This was a fun, LDS romance story. It was definitely not predictable and had many twists and turns. It had an ending I really wasn't expecting and thoroughly enjoyed! The author reminds me of another fun romance author, Jack Weyland, which is a huge compliment! I look forward to more fun reads by Don Carey!
Paula
Love BYUH/RM style. Interesting to see a guy's perspective on it all, I guess. I wished the storyline btw the main character and the oppressive haole girlfriend had been more subtle so the motorcycle incident could have drawn me in emotionally. It's a two-star book but I'm a Kahuku/BYUH alum, so one extra credit bonus star.
Sherilyn
I thought I would like a romance told from the man's point of view but the man in this story was spineless and a borderline stalker. His mom bossed him around and he found a girlfriend who bossed him around. The book is set in Oahu, Hawaii which is one of my favorite places and that was about all I liked about this book
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

Very enjoyable LDS fiction. Fun characters. And, unusual (for a romance kind of novel) in that it is told from the boy's point of view. Loved the Hawaii setting. I was so happy I had been there to know where most of those places were. It really took me back and made me wish I were there right now.
Susan
Jordan MacDonald is a really NICE guy, but he has his share of "bumpy landings" now he's back from his mission. Overcoming his shyness is tough, honesty and integrity even tougher, but he meets a really great girl and has two amazing sisters. The biggest "bump" in his landing is his mother.
Carol
I really liked that it was set in a place that I was familiar with. Very interesting and it was even better because I got to meet the author who is really good friends with my good friend!
Karla
Although it was not the most eloquent novel I have ever read it is fun to read a book set in the place where you live. Especially when it is a small place like Laie. Fun fluff read
Alex
"A recommended read highlighting a part of Hawaii that is often overlooked in local literary circles."

More on this review here:
Sheila
Great story, with a fun twist, from the Male POV. There are many things to cheer for in this story.

Full review coming tomorrow on my blog. (2-17-11)
STEPHANIE
I am reading this book for two reasons: I know the author, and it's based in La'ie where I grew up. So far reading it is brining back many memories. I'm looking forward to part 2!
alisonwonderland
I participated in a blog tour for Bumpy Landings. My post is here.
Shelena
A well written book that I truly enjoyed. It was fun reading about the characters and being able to root for the main character to get girl.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
When he was eleven years old, Donald Carey moved with his family to the Hawaiian town of La’ie, where his father taught at BYU-Hawaii. Don is a graduate of Kahuku High School where, when he wasn’t in the band room, he could be found in the library with his nose in a book.

Don was awarded the David O. McKay scholarship to attend BYU-Hawaii, where he met his lovely wife, Kara. During college, he scr
More about Donald J. Carey...