Start by marking “Forgive My Fins” as Want to Read:
Forgive My Fins

Forgive My Fins (Fins #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  13,165 ratings  ·  1,446 reviews
Princess Lily of Thessalania is a mermaid with an unrequited crush on swim star Brody Bennett at Seaview High School. Her neighbor is obnoxious biker Quince Fletcher, whose accidental kiss bonds them as mates, unless her king father performs a separation ritual, within days. Her cousin Dosinia has her own plans, to advance herself in the royal dynasty.
Published June 28th 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Forgive My Fins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgive My Fins

Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
This book is corny! In fact- a wave of sadness overcomes me when I realize the depths that this author has sunk to. Drowning her audience in a sea of underwater puns. See I can do it too!!

But seriously this book feels like it was written as an 11 year olds creative writing essay that just got out of hand. If the character is mean they are a sea slug if they are nice they are an angel fish. (Constantly!) It just gets ridiculous. But worst of all the characters are LAME!!

Lily clearly has a perse
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Oct 07, 2010 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens and anyone in the mood for a light and sweet mermaid love tale
3.5 - 4 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

(Plot points mentioned deal with aspects contained in the book blurb)

Is it just guppy love or a love as deep as the ocean?

Yes, I have been indoctrinated from all the puns in this book. ^_^ The sea puns and mermaid fish slang were a little jarring, at first, but son of swordfish (as Lily would say), once I got into the flow, I was all bubbly smiley reading them and at times even chuckling. Though I can see how the steady stream of puns co
Janina
This one wasn't for me. It was somehow too … pink, girly, fluffy and cute. The story itself was very predictable, which only made me want to shake the heroine and make her see what was going on already. Her absolute cluelessness really annoyed me.
And seriously, how can you be in love (and I'm referring to the I-love-you-so-much-I-want-to-marry-you-and-spend-the-rest-of-my-life-with-you kind of love here) with someone you rarely talk to and don't really know that well? I mean, having a crush, ok
Kristi
Looking for a fun, quick, cute, summer read? Look no further! Forgive My Fins has it all and more!

Let's just say I'm head over tail for the whimsical mermaid tale!

Such a cute story. This is definitely a novel that will appeal to the upper ya crowd but at the same time, is something that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to the younger ya and even mg readers.

I adored Quincy from the first spitball mention. Not really specifically because of the spitball, but because he seemed like the genuinely fu
Ariana

This is one of those stories that I got to read before starting to write reviews, but if I remember well I love it, so I should say at least one word or two about it.

I am not sure why I like reading books about mermaids (I blame it on The Little Mermaid, and the way I loved it so much as a kid that it's still somehow stuck in my head).
So I picked up this book wanting to have a good time with it, I read it in one sitting and I had tons of fun with it.
It was cute, it was funny, sometimes just a b
Alex Bennett
The last few days of my life have been tough. A dear friend of mine entered into eternal life at only seventeen. Over the past few days of mourning his death, I had one thing to look forward to everyday. That one thing was Forgive My Fins.

A very light read, exactly what I needed at this time, Forgive My Fins was very easy to get into and very smooth all the way. There wasn’t too much action, but it wasn’t lacking either. It is really fluffy and fun, which I really liked about it.

You may know tha
oliviasbooks
I rate this mermaid romance, which I have impatiently waited almost a year for, 3,5 stars altogether. It was really cute, but very predictable. In core it reminded me a lot of Something, Maybe and other regular YA which tell the story of a girl nursing a long time crush on a boy she doesn't really know that well. After 40 pages or so I was a tiny bit bored, but I held on tight - I was reading a mermaid-love-story! - and it got better again.

As far as I-am-a-mermaid-here-is-my-story books go, I l
Jen
I don't think rating out of 5 stars gives enough room for judgment.

I prefer the standard school grading scale...Maybe a B-.

It was a light, cute, fun book! The cover is obviously stunning. I love the greens and the blues. I'm not sure what she's supposed to be blowing out of her mouth, though. Is there something I missed in the book?

Anyway, we are presented with Lily Sanderson: half-mermaid, half-human. She's nothing spectacular with her blonde hair (yay!), pale-skin, and freckles. And she's go
Valerie
Forgive My Fins is really fast. Has a very modern setting and it's about mermaids of course. I haven't read a lot of books with mermaids (maybe one or two) so it was different, not bad, just different.

The premise of this book was interesting. It's easy to see where the book is headed a few chapters in but that has never fazed me. It just felt over simplified. The plot was all about breaking the bond, getting Brody, breaking the bond, getting Brody, est. Childs could at least put in one sub plot
Karen
Reading Forgive my Fins was like opening the covers of a book and watching a Disney film play out in front of my eyes. It is the story of first love, crushes and friendship and it is such a cute read that I can’t see many people not loving it.

The main character, Lily, was really loveable and cute and she made me laugh. She has a crush on a boy at school called Brody, who in the three years she has known him has never really given her much attention, but now time is running out for Lily and she r
Jetches  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
I thought I was going to like this book and that it was going to be good. I never thought I would love it, read it so fast, and then start on the next in the series immediately after I put this one day. But I did. I loved it so much I think the time it took me to read it is probably up there in the top ten for record time reading.
I loved that it was a tale of a fish-out-of-water (literally) who after three years has finally gotten use to the mainland and its people(so she thought) but then, when
Mary (BookHounds)
**slight spoilers -- don't read after the first paragraph**

This is a super fast read and much like a candy bar, you are done and wondering where it all went. Well, at least this won't spend a life time on my hips. I still think about this one wistfully and how cute and sweet it is. This is just so much fun! There are so many adorable puns and cute ways Lily has about cussing -- my favorite, son of a swordfish! This is a pretty clean book with only some G rated kissing and not much else, although
Michelle
This book was beyond cute. I haven't read a good mermaid book in over a year, so I was past due for one. And this was the perfect series for me to pick up. I have already started the second book because I didn't want the story to be over when I finished the first one. I have been reading so many new adult contemporaries lately (which I still love) that it was nice to switch it up to a cute paranormal young adult book.

Lily is a mermaid that is living on land for a while. Her dad is king of her m
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Lily has a secret; she's a mermaid living on land due to the fact that her mother was human. Her father is king of the seas, which makes her a Thalassinian Princess. Since finding out about her mother's lineage, Lily began to understand why she doesn't feel at home in the sea. She moved in with her aunt and started attending Seaview High School in order to find the perfect mate.

She's convinced she's found him. All she has to do is persuade him that
Gabby
Originally posted @ The YA Bookworm

I LOVE MERMAIDS! when i was a kid i adore mermaids! even though there are some myths that says that mermaids are bad, i didn't grasp the idea... so i was so glad that there is a YA book about mermaids.
this novel is actually my first YA book that is about mermaids, and for my first, this one didn't quite disappoint me.

a new concept of mermaids were introduced here, cause mermaids can be bonded just by Kissing someone, and that kiss will eventually turn the B
Erica (daydreamer)
I absolutely loved this book! It captured my heart from the very beginning. I’ve always loved mermaids and fantasized about castles under the sea. Forgive My Fins did not disappoint my fantasies in any area. It captured the lure and beauty of mermaids perfectly. I couldn’t get enough of the mermaid fantasy that Tera made up. I couldn’t stop smiling as I eagerly turned the pages. Lily’s and Quince’s banter amused me, and had me laughing at times. And I loved all the sea talk and slang that Lily u ...more
Milly
Too fluffy for my own liking.

It would have been a cute read if it weren't for the clueless heroine. Lily, I get that you're half-mermaid but you've lived with humans for the last 3 years and should have a clue about the opposite sex and relationships at least by then. How could you not know Q liked you? He annoyed you endlessly to get your attention!

It was just too predictable for me. No surprises to get me hooked.

Only Quince was this book's saving grace. And even Quince won't get me reading t
~Tina~
Absolutely adorable.
Forgive My Fins is a cute light read that is perfect to just relax with.
The characters are all enjoyable, the plot is fun and I've always loved Tera Lynn Childs writing style.
My favorite thing about this book was Quince. What a sweetheart, there were some really, really humorous scenes that made me smile.
Overall, this was an enjoyable experience.
Super cute!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
There were several things I liked about this book. I don't think I've ever read a YA story about mermaids (they may be the next vampires, who knows?) so I had nothing to compare this to. Therefore I went in with a pretty open mind and as far as a story about mermaids goes, I liked it. Childs did a good job of creating the mermaid kingdom of Have-No-Idea-How-to-Pronounce, and her mythology backstory was very creative and original.

Childs is also the kind of author who pays attention to "the littl
Kristy
Cute, light-weight, fluffy, girly-girl read.
I had a decent time reading this one, but at times it was a bit cheesy. The characters were decently likable, but at times extremely annoying. I might have liked this one a little more than some of you, but I think it is my inner child smiling. "The Little Mermaid" was my absolute favorite movie as a child, if I would have read this in my pre-teen years, I would have been in love! But, seeing as I am an old maid now, it wasn't as thrilling. But, I hav
Realteenreviews
The Gist

Lily Sanderson never thought that going to the surface would cause such trouble. But when she realized that her dead mother had been a surface-dweller Lily feels as though she has to try out life on land, for both her and her mother’s sake. After being on land for three years (living with her Aunt Lauren) three things have happened. One: she fell in love with the swimmer/news anchor/most-popular-guy-at-school, Brody. Two: gets a new best friend, who she trusts with everything…except her
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
I was completely wrong about this book. I thought I would enjoy it, but I wouldn't love it, or anything like that. I thought it would be a fun quick read, one of those books that you read once and enjoy, but never read again. I was SO WRONG.
I don't think there was anything about this book that I didn't like. The characters were awesome, the plot was exciting, and the setting and world building were AMAZING. Seriously, the world of Thalassinia under the sea was a pleasure to read about. I could r
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I started out liking this book. It was a cute and sweet story. It made me smile a few times. It was light, without too much going on, but still I wanted to read more. It was predictable. I kind of knew what was going to happen (and trust me, I almost never do!), but that didn't even matter because it was so, so cute.

Lily ends up having to spend more time with Quince, her neighbor who she claims is out to get her. She kind of hates him (in a neighborly way of course) and let's him and everyone el
Zemira Warner
If you are looking for a fun book,you found it.
Jessica Saylor
Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs was a refreshing and fun book that was great to start off my summer with. This was the first mermaid book I have read, and I have to say it definitely sets the standard for the other merfolk young adult books out there.

Childs created a great story that is backed up with even better characters. I loved Lily, Quince, Brody... all of them! The characters in Forgive My Fins were very realistic. A lot of times you will find novels that give simple teenagers much to
Kristy
Lily is a mermaid princess, living on land with her human aunt. She is only a few weeks away from her 18 birthday. She needs to find her mermate before then or forfeit the crown. But Lily has found her mate. She found him 3 years ago when she first went to live with her aunt. The only problem is she needs Brody to see her as more than a friend. But every time she gets the chance to make a move her bad boy biker neighbor Quince seems to mess everything up.

mermaid drawing

I've really been in a mermaid mood latel
Miriam
Forgive my Fins is a painfully predictable novel, in which I guessed the plotline in less than 5 pages. It was an extremely fast read, in which nothing even had a bit of depth. Not even the main characters.

It's about a half-human/half-mermaid who lives on land and accidently gets "bonded" to the so-called obnoxious, arrogant boy next door who, SURPRISE, turns out to be her true love. A very common romance concept often daily applied to YA books.

Now straight onto the painfully unbearable characte
Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten)
So, I had just come off of reading a really really heavy erotic romance novel and I needed something clean and sweet. I went through my piles of books on all my devices and then looked up at my bookshelf and noticed this!

I'd bought it about a year ago and I decided, "Mermaids, I need mermaids."

I started this book and I couldn't put it down. It was so sweet, innocent, unique, and clever that I was blown away. Lately you get so much of those young adult books that are full of so much inappropria
Lacey Weatherford
First off I would like to say I would actually rate this book 3.50 to 3.75 stars.

I was instantly attracted to this book by the cover, and the fact that I have always had a soft spot for mermaids. The story moved quickly, pulling the reader instantly into the tale and it was easy to understand what was going on.

It was clear from the start that this was going to be a love triangle between Lily, and the school's two head hotties, Brody and Quince. For me personally, while Brody had the dark looks t
Teen book group: * Forgive my fins 4 13 Oct 12, 2013 07:01AM
What you guys think? 5 22 Mar 31, 2013 09:32PM
Book Discussions ...: * Forgive my Fins 1 2 Mar 27, 2013 11:11AM
Totally YA bookwo...: Forgive my fins 2 6 Sep 22, 2012 10:28AM
Totally YA bookwo...: Forgive my fins 1 3 Sep 14, 2012 08:10AM
Hair 4 46 Aug 10, 2012 07:18PM
  • The Mermaid's Mirror
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • The Forbidden Sea
  • Sea Change
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • Between the Sea and Sky
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Ingo (Ingo, #1)
  • In Great Waters
  • Fins
  • Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Sleepless
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
Tera Lynn Childs is the RITA-award-winning author of the mythology-based Oh.My. Gods. and Goddess Boot Camp, the mermaid tales Forgive My Fins, Fins Are Forever and Just For Fins, and a kick-butt trilogy about monster-hunting descendants of Medusa that includes Sweet Venom, Sweet Shadows, and Sweet Legacy. She has published two e-novellas, Goddess In Time and Pretty In Pearls, and self-published h ...more
More about Tera Lynn Childs...
Oh. My. Gods. (Oh. My. Gods, #1) Goddess Boot Camp (Oh. My. Gods, #2) Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1) Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2) Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)

“Oh, Lily," He says shaking his head. "I know about love. About wanting and dreaming and wishing with every part of your soul. I know enough to reconize the parts that are real and teh parts that are only in my fantasy." Ge turns his head slightly to face me,
and I find myself saying,"L-like what?"
"Like when she cries and my heart tears in to little shreds, and all I can think of is making her forget the source of her sadness." His face is blank, emotionless. his words -and the underlying emotion bombarding me through the bond- more than make up for it. "That's real."
my voice is barely a whisper when I ask, "And fantasy?"
"Believing she'll ever feel the same way.”
157 likes
“I don't believe it,' Quince says with absolute certainty. ' I don't believe anything magical can make someone more in love.' [...] He looks me right in the eye as he says, 'Love is already the strongest magic in the world.” 146 likes