Start by marking “Shout! Shout It Out!” as Want to Read:
Shout! Shout It Out!

Shout! Shout It Out!

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  365 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Kids are often told to sit still and be quiet. But Denise Fleming encourages them to shout, shout it out! By taking basic learning concepts like numbers, letters, and colors and putting them on display, she asks kids to shout out what they know--and her readers will be happy to oblige.

With bold colors and her unique handmade paper art, Denise Fleming makes learning into a
Published March 29th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Shout! Shout It Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout! Shout It Out!

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
188th out of 189 books — 76 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
323rd out of 326 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

Camie
Feb 08, 2016 Camie rated it it was amazing
What child doesn't want to use their outside voice inside once in awhile. If 2 1/2-3 year olds were our reviewers this book would get all 5 stars. Highly recommended by preschool teachers, a fun book that needs more attention. Ellie's Feb. 5 stars
Logan Mikesell
Denise Fleming is a fantastic author who uses minimal words and unique pictures in each of her books. She writes for a young age group and the story can be easily read without the words because her pictures tell the story. In each book she uses a process called pulp painting for her images. Her book Shout! Shout it out is no exception to her style. The central theme of most of her books is teaching through words and pictures. This book, Shout! Shout it out follows this theme. This book contains ...more
Sarah Shufelt
Perennial favorite author Denise Fleming invites young children to shout out what they see in what might be the ultimate participation book. In Shout! Shout It Out! Fleming displays colorful numbers, letters, colors, animals, and means of transportation and calls on children to shout out the things they know. The book takes children’s natural inclinations to comment and point out familiar things and makes it the center of the experience. The small mouse that appears throughout encourages anothe ...more
The Library Lady
Jun 09, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Perfect for story hour. Don't think so? Think this is too noisy for a (shhh!)library?
Well, then you havn't been to any public library lately. And you certainly haven't been to mine. Or to one of my story hours!
This book is PERFECT for getting a group involved in a program. And because of the side comments from the characters, you could also easily use it one on one on your lap.
Either way, another terrific title from one of my top "Too Good To Get A Caldecott" authors.
Annie
Feb 15, 2015 Annie rated it really liked it
Shout! Shout it out!

Have a room full of energized children that need to get it out? Not afraid of a little screaming? Then this is the book for you. It covers numbers, letters, colors, and common animals.

It breaks these concepts into sections, and each section starts with ,"Shout! Shout! Shout it out!" Then the children get to shout out the numbers/letters/colors/animals on the page.

Obviously this book is for children who already know these concepts. It's more a review of what they know than a
Codi Ebert
Feb 13, 2015 Codi Ebert rated it it was ok
Shout! Shout it out!:

In this book, children are encouraged to shout out what they are thinking and different things like the alphabet or numbers. This was a decent book, but it was definitely not my favorite. I don't have a true reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as other books, but it just didn't appeal to me like some other children's books have. I think it has a good meaning behind it though. Many times students are told to sit still and quietly in the classroom all day long and I am a stro
Melissa
Love the wide-open mouths on all the kids in this book; love little mouse making lovely little comments. You could read this at storytime once through with everybody being super loud, then read it again and only read what Mouse says, very quietly.
Angie
Mar 29, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing
I love to make kids be loud in the library!!
April
Oct 27, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "From the bright-bright-bright red cover where a wide-wide-wide open mouth shouts out the book's title, to Fleming's own wide-wide-wide open mouth in the author/illustrator photo on the back flap, this is an exuberant, enthusiastic, no-holds-barred, shout-out for enthusiasm itself. An open-mouthed teacher tells her students, "Everybody loves to shout. So, if you know it, shout it out!" And then open-mouthed children of various races a
Tiffany Beedle
The story is about what the students know. This book is a little out of the math box because there are other areas that are also incorporated into this story, but could definitely be used for math in a creative way.

The audience for this book is definitely a preschool or younger classroom. The students should know these basic numbers, letters, shapes and ect. Also, the shouting interaction of the book suits the preschool grade level very well.

I would use this book for counting numbers as well as
Cristina
Sep 13, 2013 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Assignment: Picture Book Project
Picture Book Soak – Book I can’t wait to use
Recommending Source: None required

Review: When kids are proud to share something they know, this book provides them with a fun outlet to shout it out. With every turn of the page, Denise Fleming encourages the children to yell out what they know, whether it is numbers, the alphabet, colors, or different objects. It’s a very fun and interactive approach to reviewing what students have learned.

Covering half of the dust ja
Sharon Lawler
Feb 05, 2014 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-picturebooks
Denise Fleming's mouse is back, and this time he is in the midst of preschoolers who are shouting their ABCs and 123s! Great story time selection to help shake out the wiggles! Illustrations are Fleming's hallmark--"pulp painting-a paper making technique using colored cotton fiber poured through hand-cut stencils. Accents were added with patterned paper collage, pastel pencil, china marker, and colored indian inks." (from the copyright page)
Andrea Carter
Jan 30, 2013 Andrea Carter rated it did not like it
Shelves: abc-picture-book
The book "SHOUT! Shout it out!" by Denise Fleming seemed busy and confusing to me as the reader. While it seemed like an ABC book it also had random spurts of 123's and other word patterns. One of the first things to strike me about the book was that most of the children looked the same but the teacher seemed to be drawn very differently than the children having a difference in her nose and eyes. Although the illustrations were bright and popped out to the reader the print varied from small to l ...more
Amy Forrester
Jul 05, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
The teacher, school children, and even the mouse in this book encourage readers to “Shout! Shout it out!” Beginning with numbers and the alphabet and moving onto colors, animals, and vehicles, this concept book will encourage kids to shout out everything they know.

The text of this book was clearly written to be read out loud with the help of children. The letters, numbers, colors, etc. are printed and drawn in large colorful type and the frequent refrain of, “Shout! Shout it out!” is lots of fun
Melanie
Children are encouraged to shout out 1-10, the abc's, colors, animals and vehicles. Bright, vivid illustrations will draw children in.

I'm conflicted about this book. I think it would be more useful as an at-home book. Having most of the concepts in one book with no transitions between them seems very confusing.

As much as I love shouting in the library I will not be using this book for storytime.
Barbara
Sep 30, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
Young readers will delight in shouting out the letters of the alphabet, the numbers, colors, animals, modes of transportation as a tiny mouse that appears throughout the pages offers encouragement or sly comments. I suspect he'll be more appealing to the adult readers who share this read-aloud with children than with the children themselves. The idea of being proud of what you know is certainly an empowering message, and reading this book with children will result in a rollicking boast fest desi ...more
Karen
Feb 03, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Good idea: Checking this book out from the library yesterday.

Bad idea: Reading it last night at bedtime.

My six-year-old son had so much fun shouting the words, he almost forgot that he was reading them himself. Because the illustrations are so big and vibrant, this book would work really well in a group setting. Just not at bedtime.
Toni Tawes
Mar 05, 2015 Toni Tawes rated it really liked it
"Shout Shout Shout it Out!" is a picture book for children ages 2-6. The book is delightfully illustrated and tells children if they know something to shout it out. The book discusses your alphabet, numbers, colors and shows children to be confident when they know something. another good read!
Brienz Wilkening
Apr 23, 2014 Brienz Wilkening rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 689
This was a very cute book for younger kids! I think that they would have fun with all of the things they get to shout out. This would be a good book for practicing letters, numbers, colors, transportation, and different animals. The illustrations are fun and colorful as well.
Shelby Deghand
Feb 25, 2015 Shelby Deghand rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun alphabet book because it encourages kids to say the letters out loud. Not only letters either, but numbers, colors, and animals too! I really like this book because it covers so many common concepts that very young children need practice on.
Whitney Rachel
Jul 11, 2014 Whitney Rachel rated it really liked it
I thought it was fun and interactive. I'd be interested to see how well this one does at ST. I think it'll depend on the audience, for sure.
Dominique St-pierre
Feb 24, 2014 Dominique St-pierre rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a fun book for Pre-K: All about numbers, letters, animals and things that GO! It's hard not to love everything Denise Fleming does.
Nadiyah Alanazi
May 26, 2014 Nadiyah Alanazi rated it it was amazing
I like this picture book that encourage kids to shout out what they know instead of just sitting down. It help kids to learn colors, numbers, and letters.
Amanda Connelly
Sep 29, 2015 Amanda Connelly rated it did not like it
Shelves: edrd314
Good for children who are under 5 years old. Learning to read book.
Suzanne Steward
A great interactive book for baby/toddler story time!
Michelle
Nov 14, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Might be a good last book in PS ST
Tricia
Jul 19, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Here's a shout out: Storytime! Perfect! Thank you, Denise Fleming!

This title is interactive from cover to cover---incorporating numbers, letters, colors, animals and transportation into one title. Brightly illustrated, each page shows a shouting child who is . Excellent and attractive storytime choice for preschool/pre-k/kindergarten...children will ask for it again and again.

Update: Used this one for storytime today and even though my audience was small, it was well received and the yelling par
Joy Lane
Dec 01, 2014 Joy Lane rated it it was amazing
fun!
Melissa Elgersma
Jul 02, 2011 Melissa Elgersma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschoolers
Sometimes we need to use our inside voices and sometimes we just have to SHOUT! In Denise Fleming’s newest book, kids get the chance to show-off what they know- numbers, letters, colors- by SHOUTING them out. There are lots of fun games you can play with this book: Toddlers can show you how they can count to ten and preschoolers can show you how they can find different letters on the page. This is a really great one for toddlers, who have excellent SHOUTING skills. This book is just plain fun!
Rachel Feather
Why are children always being told to sit down and be quiet? They are learning so much from the world around them, and they just want to share it with everyone! Why should adults squelch this excitement? Shout! Shout It Out! encourages students to share what they know. Readers will be enthusiastic and it will translate into their daily lives. Teachers and parents be careful... children are likely to become much more vocal about all the knowledge they are gaining. Be prepared for their excitement ...more
  • Little Chicken's Big Day
  • Everything I Need to Know Before I'm Five
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • RRRalph
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • My Side of the Car
  • Stretch
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Banana
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Shape by Shape
  • Sylvie
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Fairly Fairy Tales
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...