Start by marking “Shout! Shout It Out!” as Want to Read:
Shout! Shout It Out!

Shout! Shout It Out!

Kids are often told to sit still and be quiet. But Denise Fleming encourages them to shout, shout it out! By taking basic learning concepts like numbers, letters, and colors and putting them on display, she asks kids to shout out what they know--and her readers will be happy to oblige.

With bold colors and her unique handmade paper art, Denise Fleming makes learning i
Published March 29th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Shout! Shout It Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout! Shout It Out!

Camie
Feb 08, 2016 Camie rated it it was amazing
What child doesn't want to use their outside voice inside once in awhile. If 2 1/2-3 year olds were our reviewers this book would get all 5 stars. Highly recommended by preschool teachers, a fun book that needs more attention. Ellie's Feb. 5 stars
Logan Mikesell
Denise Fleming is a fantastic author who uses minimal words and unique pictures in each of her books. She writes for a young age group and the story can be easily read without the words because her pictures tell the story. In each book she uses a process called pulp painting for her images. Her book Shout! Shout it out is no exception to her style. The central theme of most of her books is teaching through words and pictures. This book, Shout! Shout it out follows this theme. This book contains ...more
Sarah Shufelt
Perennial favorite author Denise Fleming invites young children to shout out what they see in what might be the ultimate participation book. In Shout! Shout It Out! Fleming displays colorful numbers, letters, colors, animals, and means of transportation and calls on children to shout out the things they know. The book takes children’s natural inclinations to comment and point out familiar things and makes it the center of the experience. The small mouse that appears throughout encourages anothe ...more
Sharon Lawler
Feb 05, 2014 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-picturebooks
Denise Fleming's mouse is back, and this time he is in the midst of preschoolers who are shouting their ABCs and 123s! Great story time selection to help shake out the wiggles! Illustrations are Fleming's hallmark--"pulp painting-a paper making technique using colored cotton fiber poured through hand-cut stencils. Accents were added with patterned paper collage, pastel pencil, china marker, and colored indian inks." (from the copyright page)
The Library Lady
Jun 09, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Perfect for story hour. Don't think so? Think this is too noisy for a (shhh!)library?
Well, then you havn't been to any public library lately. And you certainly haven't been to mine. Or to one of my story hours!
This book is PERFECT for getting a group involved in a program. And because of the side comments from the characters, you could also easily use it one on one on your lap.
Either way, another terrific title from one of my top "Too Good To Get A Caldecott" authors.
Kristen
This vibrant picture book is for all our little ones who love to call out what they see as we read: "Cow!" "Train!" "I know my ABC's!" Fleming's art is box-of-crayons bright. Nice choice for a loud storytime!
Donalyn
A splendid book for youngsters to practice the letters, numbers, colors, and other words they know. Bold, bright illustrations go along with the loudness and joy of shouting out the words. A clever little mouse appears on every page, adding his own thoughts about each category.
Melissa
Love the wide-open mouths on all the kids in this book; love little mouse making lovely little comments. You could read this at storytime once through with everybody being super loud, then read it again and only read what Mouse says, very quietly.
Angie
Mar 29, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing
I love to make kids be loud in the library!!
Wanda
May 11, 2017 Wanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Would be a good book for a 4-5 year old pre-k or kindergarten class. Could use for basic object labeling, counting, and letters.
Cristina
Sep 13, 2013 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Assignment: Picture Book Project
Picture Book Soak – Book I can’t wait to use
Recommending Source: None required

Review: When kids are proud to share something they know, this book provides them with a fun outlet to shout it out. With every turn of the page, Denise Fleming encourages the children to yell out what they know, whether it is numbers, the alphabet, colors, or different objects. It’s a very fun and interactive approach to reviewing what students have learned.

Covering half of the dust ja
April
Oct 27, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "From the bright-bright-bright red cover where a wide-wide-wide open mouth shouts out the book's title, to Fleming's own wide-wide-wide open mouth in the author/illustrator photo on the back flap, this is an exuberant, enthusiastic, no-holds-barred, shout-out for enthusiasm itself. An open-mouthed teacher tells her students, "Everybody loves to shout. So, if you know it, shout it out!" And then open-mouthed children of various races a
Tiffany Beedle
The story is about what the students know. This book is a little out of the math box because there are other areas that are also incorporated into this story, but could definitely be used for math in a creative way.

The audience for this book is definitely a preschool or younger classroom. The students should know these basic numbers, letters, shapes and ect. Also, the shouting interaction of the book suits the preschool grade level very well.

I would use this book for counting numbers as well as
Andrea Carter
Jan 30, 2013 Andrea Carter rated it did not like it
Shelves: abc-picture-book
The book "SHOUT! Shout it out!" by Denise Fleming seemed busy and confusing to me as the reader. While it seemed like an ABC book it also had random spurts of 123's and other word patterns. One of the first things to strike me about the book was that most of the children looked the same but the teacher seemed to be drawn very differently than the children having a difference in her nose and eyes. Although the illustrations were bright and popped out to the reader the print varied from small to l ...more
Annie
Feb 15, 2015 Annie rated it really liked it
Shout! Shout it out!

Have a room full of energized children that need to get it out? Not afraid of a little screaming? Then this is the book for you. It covers numbers, letters, colors, and common animals.

It breaks these concepts into sections, and each section starts with ,"Shout! Shout! Shout it out!" Then the children get to shout out the numbers/letters/colors/animals on the page.

Obviously this book is for children who already know these concepts. It's more a review of what they know than a
Amy Forrester
Jul 05, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
The teacher, school children, and even the mouse in this book encourage readers to “Shout! Shout it out!” Beginning with numbers and the alphabet and moving onto colors, animals, and vehicles, this concept book will encourage kids to shout out everything they know.

The text of this book was clearly written to be read out loud with the help of children. The letters, numbers, colors, etc. are printed and drawn in large colorful type and the frequent refrain of, “Shout! Shout it out!” is lots of fun
Codi Ebert
Feb 13, 2015 Codi Ebert rated it it was ok
Shout! Shout it out!:

In this book, children are encouraged to shout out what they are thinking and different things like the alphabet or numbers. This was a decent book, but it was definitely not my favorite. I don't have a true reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as other books, but it just didn't appeal to me like some other children's books have. I think it has a good meaning behind it though. Many times students are told to sit still and quietly in the classroom all day long and I am a stro
Barbara
Sep 30, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
Young readers will delight in shouting out the letters of the alphabet, the numbers, colors, animals, modes of transportation as a tiny mouse that appears throughout the pages offers encouragement or sly comments. I suspect he'll be more appealing to the adult readers who share this read-aloud with children than with the children themselves. The idea of being proud of what you know is certainly an empowering message, and reading this book with children will result in a rollicking boast fest desi ...more
Rachel Feather
Why are children always being told to sit down and be quiet? They are learning so much from the world around them, and they just want to share it with everyone! Why should adults squelch this excitement? Shout! Shout It Out! encourages students to share what they know. Readers will be enthusiastic and it will translate into their daily lives. Teachers and parents be careful... children are likely to become much more vocal about all the knowledge they are gaining. Be prepared for their excitement ...more
Melissa Elgersma
Jul 02, 2011 Melissa Elgersma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschoolers
Sometimes we need to use our inside voices and sometimes we just have to SHOUT! In Denise Fleming’s newest book, kids get the chance to show-off what they know- numbers, letters, colors- by SHOUTING them out. There are lots of fun games you can play with this book: Toddlers can show you how they can count to ten and preschoolers can show you how they can find different letters on the page. This is a really great one for toddlers, who have excellent SHOUTING skills. This book is just plain fun!
Tricia
May 26, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Here's a shout out: Storytime! Perfect! Thank you, Denise Fleming!

This title is interactive from cover to cover---incorporating numbers, letters, colors, animals and transportation into one title. Brightly illustrated, each page shows a shouting child who is . Excellent and attractive storytime choice for preschool/pre-k/kindergarten...children will ask for it again and again.

Update: Used this one for storytime today and even though my audience was small, it was well received and the yelling par
Melanie
Children are encouraged to shout out 1-10, the abc's, colors, animals and vehicles. Bright, vivid illustrations will draw children in.

I'm conflicted about this book. I think it would be more useful as an at-home book. Having most of the concepts in one book with no transitions between them seems very confusing.

As much as I love shouting in the library I will not be using this book for storytime.
Shannon
Apr 17, 2011 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
The mouse who appears throughout the book was the saving grace of this text for me. The art was not my style, although it's done using something called pulp painting, which sounds really interesting. I'll bet my kids would want to learn how she did her work. I could see this book being useful during a body break in a primary classroom, or when students are getting squirrely and need a chance to be silly and refocus. I could see this being a Geisel award candidate.
Cassie
Ages 2-6. Children love to show that they know something. What better way than a book about shouting what you know! I can see kids really enjoying this book in a group setting where they can participate with other children. I like this book because it isn't just an ABC, 1-2-3, animal, or color book, but all three in one. Then towards the end, there is a section where the children can whisper like mouse. Great for vocabulary also. A dynamic fun book.
JaNeal
Feb 20, 2012 JaNeal rated it really liked it
This incredibly simple book appeals to me for two reasons: It is highly interactive and it is an education-turned-to-game book. Beware, the interaction is SHOUTING (no surprise there), but my little guy also loved looking for the mouse (on every page including ends and cover). Your child will review numbers, the alphabet, colors, and basic words without even suspecting they are "in school." Even though my kids have outgrown the subject matter--they loved the interaction and illustrations.
Joanie
Oct 14, 2011 Joanie rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS ADORABLE!! Ok, why am I shouting? Because, the book is called SHOUT! and that's what you do as you read it...you shout! haha. It's a fun book for teachers to use in class during morning meeting as children practice counting, recognizing numbers, the alphabet, colors, animals, and transportation machines. Also, the little random mouse is quite funny and I'm sure children will enjoy looking for him throughout the pages.
Audeena
Dec 13, 2011 Audeena rated it really liked it
Genre: Concept/Informational
Copyright Date: 2011

I really liked this simple book. I wanted to use it in my preschool classroom this year but we have a problem with students shouting in the classroom and I didn't want this to add to the issue. I was thinking this would be a great book on a warm day to take outside and sit in the grass and read with students. It has all the preschool benchmarks: letters, number, colors, animals, transportation objects. Great book!
Samantha
Apr 08, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Just my kind of storytime book because it encourages you to shout out what you know! All the basics are covered: counting, the alphabet, colors, animals, and transportation. The final page is a review of everything covered in the book. I love, love, love this book! It's bright and colorful and exciting and I'm going to use it for many many storytimes to come!
Jess
This is a wonderful book to use with preschool storytime, high lights the basic concepts for preschools in a fun manner. A highly interactive book. While reading I have the kids count with me, say the ABC's and the rest of the book. This a great book to help get the parents involved in storytime. This was a hit in my storytime, one to keep in a rotation as it will not go out of style.
Vicki
Sep 29, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, toddler
Well, this one went over like gangbusters! I had a pack of toddlers clustered around me by the end of the book, shouting out what they knew. Honestly, this book is pretty much made for a story time setting or preschool circle time setting. There's not a lot of plot, but if you rock the early literacy skills, this one has a lot to offer in terms of a springboard. Good one!
  • Little Chicken's Big Day
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • If You're Hoppy
  • RRRalph
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Say What?
  • Lemons Are Not Red (Ala Notable Book(Awards)) (Neal Porter Books)
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Sylvie
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...