Start by marking “The Marriage Market” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Market

The Marriage Market

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Aaron knows next to nothing of the Indian way - its culture, its rituals, its idealism. When Aaron marries Jeena, he marries her extended family too. And despite his best intentions, love has a way of creeping up on a man just when he least expects it.
Unknown Binding, 485 pages
Published September 29th 2006 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Market

Akshatha Chakkodubail Rao
The book was a drag! I had to push myself to read it to the end! Highly stereotyped Indians on this one!
okyrhoe
Jeena figures out that the only way to get out of a traditional Indian arranged marriage her parents try to force upon her, is to arrange a marriage herself, specifically a sham marriage with her current boyfriend. This eventually placates her parents, but the greater Indian community doesn't take to the interracial union too well.

In contrast, sham husband Aaron isn't that concerned with Jeena's Asian background, or with the concept of faking a marriage. Jeena's just another attractive woman in
Kevin Rubin
Another fun east-meets-west chick-lit book from Nisha Minhas.

In this one we have Jeena, a young, British woman with fairly "liberal" Indian parents. They're liberal enough to let her wear very short skirts and go out to night clubs as long as she doesn't speak to any men, since they're planning to arrange her marriage.

Unbeknownst to them (at least until page 10 of the book) she does see and sleep with lots of men, including Aaron, who she's having sex with on page 10 when her parents come home a
Chanpreet
A marriage of convenience that turns to love is a theme I usually enjoy in books. Not in this case. Here you've got a couple who has a marriage of convenience, yet sleeps with other people days/weeks into the marriage, even while they are sleeping on and off with each other! Plus a whole bunch of other crazy things like stalkers and kidnappings. Basically I was expecting something else, and what was in the book really did not meet my expectations. There was so much going on in the book and there ...more
Rama Krishna
Apr 24, 2015 Rama Krishna marked it as to-read
i just have to read this novel
Anna-Liisa
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone really. About half way through I wondered why I was reading it, but had been sucked in enough to want to know how it ended. There is lots of swearing in the book, which I know is supposed to help set up the personalities of the characters, but I found it unappealing and over the top. The plot is lacking and at the end I didn't really feel satisfied like I do when I finish a truly good book. I felt like my time would have been better spent reading somethin ...more
Nadia
Aaron has an inability to stay faithful, and his girlfriend Jeena is facing exile to India.Aaron conquers his deep-sated fears and agrees to marry her,for a year only.A year on, and they will divorce. But it was never going to that easy, like they thought.

"A hilarious read, I was laughing with each page turned, and certainly enjoyed the book truly."
Pinky
It didn't make me fall asleep while reading as though I had experienced with few books. very good book to read......I would recommend this book to anyone who likes spicied-up love story rather than just normal and usual. I very much liked the heroism of Aaron who rushed to save his kidnapped wife and when he was furious about the man who punched Jeena.....
Julie
Nazia Ahmed
It was ok... I found this book to be really funny at certain points, but the drawback is that Nisha Minhas has overly stereotyped 'Indians'.
Afshan
Jun 27, 2010 Afshan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Friends
Can you understand the way a man and a woman think - at the same time? How they hate each other, fight, argue and finally fall in love despite coming from two completely different worlds? A smooth, funny and thrilling read. Nisha has a great sense of humour. You'll find it funnier if you know how England and the Asian community living there is. It's a thick, fat 500 page book. Best time to read will be while travelling. Cheers.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Thando Khoza
Thando Khoza marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Marlene
Marlene marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Mairi
Mairi marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Nora Joe
Nora Joe marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Sed La
Sed La marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Preethi
Preethi marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Highlighted in Yellow: A Short Course in Living Wisely and Choosing Well
  • Never Trust A Rabbit: Stories With a Twist
  • Too Good To Be True
  • The Multiple Identities of the Middle East
  • Homefront: The Voice of Freedom
  • سرد الذات
  • Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour
  • A Married Woman
  • Secrets
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • The Uses and Abuses of History
  • Blasphemy
  • The Wind on Fire Trilogy: The Wind Singer/Slaves of the Mastery/Firesong
  • Palestinian Walks: Forays into a Vanishing Landscape
  • Xcess Baggage
  • Killing Honour
  • Zero Percentile—2.0: Missed IIT Kissed Gurgaon
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Omnibus
In her early thirties, Nisha Minhas lives in Milton Keynes with her partner and two cats. A former employee of the Inland Revenue and a avid reader, Nisha couldn't find any novels that really appealed to her, a young woman born in the UK to Indian parents. So she decided to write a book that she herself would really like to read.
More about Nisha Minhas...
Chapatti Or Chips? Bindis And Brides Sari And Sins Passion & Poppadoms Tall, Dark and Handsome