Start by marking “Wives and Sisters” as Want to Read:
Wives and Sisters
read excerpt* *Different edition

Wives and Sisters

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When Allison Jensen was six, she and her best friend were playing in the woods near home. One moment her friend was beside her; then she was gone. When no leads emerged, she was given up for dead. Now, years later, trying to fill in the gaps of a patchwork memory, to make sense of the senseless, Allison still can get no answers from the Mormon community in which she lives. ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wives and Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wives and Sisters

Celeste Miller
Pretty silly. The author has an obvious ax to grind, and highlights an extreme example of Mormonism, doing little to shed light on its appeal and power over followers. If she hadn't set it against the backdrop of Mormon culture, I doubt this shoddily-constructed, oddly-paced mystery would have garnered much attention.
Rhonda
Not my favorite. The story is set in Utah and is written around the Mormons/ LDS. I liked that the story was written in first person but the details of the belief structure of the LDS and the storyline itself, I ended the book wondering if the author had was a former LDS/Mormon herself and had left the church and its teachings, and if this was a real event that happened that she glossed over and created a fictional book from.

I found the story predictable in a lot of areas although there were a f
Judy
Oct 15, 2011 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Judy by: my sister
This book was a very quick read. It was difficult to put down because the story is compelling. I was not impressed entirely with the author's writing style, but I think this is her first novel or an early one, and she may be an author to watch. Natalie Collins was apparently raised in (and still lives in) Utah in the Mormon Church and very clearly knows the ins and outs of Mormon life. This is one of the things I found most interesting. I have read stories before of abused wives and children and ...more
Emily
Wow. This is written by an Ex-mormon about a girl who grows up in a mormon household most would think was abusive. Given events that happened to her as a young child, she has grown up openingly questioning the church and this pits her against her family. Her family dynamic is very interesting. Her father is very strict and quick to discipline and her mother died when she was 15, when she was giving birth to a child her father wanted to help populate his celestial family. Her brother is killed on ...more
Crystal
Very strong and good book! I could relate to the book very well since I was raised in a similar religion and couldn't wait to leave.

The reason I only gave it four stars was that in the beginning it seems extremely whiny but then I realized she is looking back and telling the story from her adult viewpoint and could see why it was negative, now realizing how it should have been.

I must add that I do realize not everyone that is Mormon grew up in such a horrible household as the book. The book di
Michele
Family secrets; creepy, a compelling search for justice.
Elzbieta Zdunek
I was hesitating how many stars should I give to this book. I hade huge expectations giving my current anti-cult obsession and on one hand I feel satisfied, but on the other I don't. The book was gripping and gave a broad picture of Mormon customs and beliefs, but the mystery was not mysterious at all and the answer was obvious from the beginning.
Libby
I grabbed this book from the Library without reading what it was about. I was quite surprised to find that it was very anti-Mormon. The story line was good - it is very dramatic - but the author, who grew up Mormon, really is bitter about the church and really brought it out in her story.
Naomi Jensen
I loved this book. I loke books about the church, whether Mormon, Catholic, or Episcopalian, because they are so foreign to me. It tells the story of a girl who grew up in the Mormom church and at some point loses faith in it.
Hailey
This book is about a girl that witnessed her friends murder at a young age by someone in the church....It was sort of interesting but really has some parts in the book...overall i really wouldn't recommend this book!
Rita
This is a bleak story. I looked at the writer's website, and discovered that she is an angry ex-Mormon, and some of what she wrote was autobiographical. That explained a lot about the book.
Kristen
Absolute crap but strangely compelling, fueling my current obsession. The abuse and rape is as common as Nancy Drew getting knocked unconscious.
Dawn
I thoroughly enjoyed this story about Mormons in Utah. I thought it was very suspenseful and it held my interest. It was very creepy.
Ashley
well i have read most of this book intill my boyfriend tore it apart so now i have to try to find a new copy but it was really good
Mary
Aug 01, 2009 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good suspense book
Recommended to Mary by: my daughter
Very suspenseful book. I felt sorry for Alli and her sisters and brother. To think that these things happen in some religions.
Elise
This had the potential to be interesting but was too far-fetched, bitter, and silly to be worth the time it took to read.
Tara
pretty good, i liked how the ending tied everything together.
Carley
Totally sucked me in but scared the beejeezies out of me!
D.
Wives and Sisters by Natalie R. Collins (2006)
Arlene
Feb 21, 2011 Ellen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeffco, utah
Utah
Marjean
Marjean marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kelline
Kelline marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk: Growing Up in Polygamy
  • Secrets and Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy
  • Desert Lost (A Lena Jones Mystery #6)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Her Loving Husband's Curse (Loving Husband, #2)
  • The Fifth Servant
  • After
  • God's Brothel: The Extortion of Sex for Salvation
  • Heaven's Harlots: My Fifteen Years as a Sacred Prostitute in the Children of God Cult
  • Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage
  • Fifty Years in Polygamy: Big Secrets and Little White Lies
  • Finishing School
  • Summer Harbor
  • I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)
In her acclaimed thrillers, Natalie R. Collins reveals the secrets that lurk in every town, the darkness that lies in every heart, and the ties that bind every family--till death...

Natalie R. Collins has ten published books, has worked as a ghostwriter on several other books, and is currently working on revisions for her fourth book with St. Martin's press, as well as a YA, her first. She has dabb
More about Natalie R. Collins...
Behind Closed Doors The Ties That Bind Sisterwife Twisted Sister Killer Instincts