Start by marking “Person” as Want to Read:
Person

Person

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  761 ratings  ·  86 reviews
You see him at the liquor store. You see him at the bus stop, trying to look at you without being seen. Who is he? He is a person. In this debut novel, a person walks around Chicago contemplating the possibility of starving to death on purpose. He has sex with his neighbor. He goes out to look for a job but just buys little plastic dogs from homeless people instead. Who is ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Eraserhead Press

To ask other readers questions about Person, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Person

Steve Lowe
Person is not a specific person in the sense that it's a character whose arc we follow through a story. This is a snapshot of loneliness and alienation, of over-powering apathy and lack of motivation. The person in Person has no name. He has no description aside from the inner thoughts he shares with us over 87 pages. Person has no sense of self, no ambition to be someone or do something, no idea at all, really, of who he is, or what he wants, or wants to be. Funny, a little sad, pathetic, occas ...more
Tina
So this is what I chose to read on a Friday 13th that occurred in the ninth month of the year 2013. This is, of course, absolutely inconsequential to anything I'm about to say about this book, but then again random seems to be my middle name lately.

More to the point, I feel like I need to start this review by saying that this is my first time ever reading bizarro fiction, as well as the first time I read a Sam Pink book. I can't say what exactly my expectations were before starting it, as the b
Kate
Nov 18, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who are absurdly surreal
Recommended to Kate by: Cameron Pierce
Shelves: bizarro
I came to this book at the most perfect time when I wasn't right in the head due to a harsh migraine. In between sleep, I read this book and had some very strange dreams about smelling like pizza, going into a second interview for a bagging position, and having neon colored words scroll through my headhole. It was as if this book played out as a movie in my sleep.

However, I still came to the conclusion today (now that I'm feeling like my 'normal' self) that this book is awesome! I loved the absu
Brian Carr
I've been meaning to read this for a bit. It's really fantastic. It's a book that lots of people will read and say, "I could write this."

No you couldn't.
DeWitt Brinson
Person's some tight shit. I'd read this book even if there were a fleet of rape drones saying, "Just do it. I dare you." I'd lick my reading finger and just do it anyway. Fuck a rape drone.
Mykle
"I live in Chicago and I don't get along with a lot of people and the reasons are always new and wonderful."

This is a quick read, but a touching one. It's a first-person portrait of extreme loneliness, mistrust and alienation, and how those feelings can reinforce one another, demand your loyalty and make you love them, until finally you start to enjoy being sad and look forward to dying. I've totally felt like this, and Sam Pink nails it.

(But again I say: no stars for books on the same press as
Justin
I want to say supportive things about a fellow indie author, I really do, but...damn it. This is the laziest book I've ever read, even lazier than Cormac Friggin McCarthy's The Road. That makes my blood boil. You see, I hate Cormac Friggin McCarthy, and I wanted to go on thinking that The Road was the laziest book even written, but now I can't do that anymore. Now I have to say unsupportive things about an orphan, starving small-fry independent author about how HE has written the laziest book ra ...more
Kirsten Alene
Sam Pink's new novel, Person, is the greatest book I have ever read where nothing really happens. A person wanders around Chicago, feeling alternately morose and elated. Although the eponymous Person lives in an apartment, I have never read a book that felt more homeless.

The occasional "Other Version" of a chapter (in which something only vaguely dissimilar to the first version happens) emphasizes the feeling of uncertainty.

I believe that Sam Pink has access to some of the most universal human
Kathleen
If I ever need to remind myself, years down the line, what it was like to be young and emotionally short-circuited in a small apartment in Chicago in the early 2010's, I could read this book again. I thought it was interesting how closely Person resembled my own internal dialogue. Maybe Sam Pink is one of those dudes who has read too much Bukowski, but whatever, I found this book touching and it rang true. It is at least a good artifact of our world-weary, Raskolnikovian zeitgeist.
Parker
"Feels like Practice."

After reading this book, whenever anything happens in my life I imagine myself saluting words in neon letters in my head.

And Sam Pink is right next to me and we wink at each other.
Zadignose
Jul 27, 2014 Zadignose added it
Shelves: 21st-century
This book is similar in character to Rontel, and much of what Sam Pink would do in that later work is already on display in some form here. In tone, Person is a little sadder, a little less funny, a little less extreme in its degree of absurdity. It makes use of its own leitmotifs, i.e. elements that are repeated and serve as a sort of a theme, such as the repeated sentences "it feels like practice" and "it's insane," and the tendency to retreat from some of his most extreme or tenuous assertion ...more
Benjamin
Yo, this is it. This book kills it. Get this book. This book is fucking it.
M.
Jan 09, 2013 M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, fiction
I thought this was absolutely terrific. Before reading this novel I had only read YOU HEAR AMBULANCE SOUNDS AND THINK THEY ARE FOR YOU and FROWNS NEED FRIENDS TOO, both of which I enjoyed, but couldn't fully hold my attention in the way that Pink reading/performing his own works can. I traded Sam some vicodin & some zines for this (& THE NO HELLOS DIET) at the Pop Serial reading during AWP (of which I actually missed the entirety of the reading via drinking in the kitchen--except I saw C ...more
Bradley
Prior to reading this book, I had mostly been familiar with Sam Pink’s poetry (although I had also read a few short-short prose pieces here and there). And this poetry made me a fan of his work, particularly due to its humor and surreal imagery. This book introduced me to his longer work, and I thought it was really great. Unlike his other writing, this is extremely reality-based. Considering Pink’s strength lies in the surreal, I would have assumed that I wouldn’t care for a book that lacked fa ...more
Caitlin Goldblatt

Sam Pink will fuck you up. This guy is hilarious and throws out beautiful prose like it's garbage he might want back one day. I definitely recommend this for white, cisgender dudes in their early to mid-twenties, but it was fairly easy for me to connect with as well, given that Pink's protagonists are about as sarcastic and confused as any twentysomething. His prose will hurt you the way you hurt your
Marti
buddy looked at my book and said nevermind. i read a little passage on the first page. he really didnt like that. i asked him why he didn't like it. he told me it was a waste of time and then after a few moments passed he told me i would make a good therapist. you can tell, i'm sure, that the next thing i asked is why he thought i would make a good therapist. he told me because i'm interested in other peoples weirdness.
David
This was a really weird little book, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to read. It seems like this really strange mix of Tao Lin and Knut Hamsun. I've never read anything quite like it. It is absurd, but most of the absurdity is in the mind of the character and in his reactions to things. It's funny, but self-deprecating as well in a way that goes beyond humor. In the end, I'm not quite sure what it is...but it is good.
Robb Todd
Mar 04, 2012 Robb Todd added it
Shelves: 2012, small-press
Should I be worried that I could identify with the narrator? No. No way. This book is hilariously thoughtful and is definitely going to be read again.
aidan w-m
Sep 14, 2014 aidan w-m added it
Recommends it for: people who get bored easily, people who think they hate everything
Shelves: 2013
odd in the best way, funny, affecting, wisely concise so as to never become grating. not exactly timeless, but definitely timely.
Kpiccolo
the word "genius" scrolls through my head in big block neon letters
Patrick Wensink
Like The Stranger if The Stranger was funny.
cucumber caleb
i'm not sure what i expected when i bought this book this morning. i'm still not sure what it is about now that i am finished.

sigh. if only i knew how to properly review a freaking book. let me attempt this, guys. and i apologize for it being the worlds crappiest goodreads review.

Person starts out with this guy (who i presume to simply be named person) walking around chicago in the winter. now, person is not a typical boy. man. creature. he's very cynical and very detached from reality. you ca
Lewis Lacook
This one is something. The prose is spare and lucid, very tight stuff. The plot? Well...it's a guy walking around Chicago, dealing with unemployment, dealing with dejection, floating around and wondering just what the hell to do with himself and why he can't be happy.

In many ways the book reminds me of Vonnegut, but a more depressive Vonnegut. It lacks the humanistic uplift in Vonnegut's work. BUT, there's so much that's raw and true here, and the style is amazing.

I've been in the place the pro
Lixian
I've never read bizarro fiction but I have been dying to read this book or any of the Lazy Fascist books out of curiosity. I always seem to be interested in anything that seems to be different from the usual mainstream literature. My Kindle also decided to start working somewhat, so I borrowed this from the Kindle Library. I have one important question though, do authors get paid when you borrow it from the Kindle library? Like how when you borrow a book from a physical library the authors actua ...more
Tom Bensley
This book was pretty whack, yo. I wish I could use another artist's name as like an adjective to describe it, but I can't, really. It's more like, if a person decided to compile all of the things that happen to them and the thoughts they have, about which they usually think, "that thought/action doesn't deserve to be written down" and then write them down and make a book with them.

On p.26 an odd but amusing thing happens:
"My roommate knocks on my door and I try not to move.
My heart is beating fa
Eric T. Voigt Voigt
My mind is stuck on "has sex" being "hassex" in the goodreads version of the synopsis. Alright. I'm over it. "Person" made me sad with its hopelessness. The irreverence and goofy 'what-ifs' being the majority of the book saved it from being the saddest book I've ever read. If you'd taken that out I might've fell into a funk. Now: I'm smiling.
Joe
From thought to thought the narrator carries you through this epic story line like a butterfly in a wind storm. You find yourself relating more and more to this lonesome, mad man than you'd probably feel comfortable admitting. Until you finally ask who IS this about me? Great easy read for someone who wants to finish something today.
Shawna
This won't be an over-the-top, in-depth review... but I found this book to something I could fully relate to. The way the book is written forces you to read it until the very end which is just what I did last night. It is a quick read but well worth taking time out of your day to enjoy. I am the Person. You are the Person.
Ben Arzate
Sam Pink's Person is probably best summed up by one of the best sentences in the book.

Full review here:
Chris Rhatigan
Bizarro at its finest. Pink doesn't need unicorns on fire to show us the absurdity of life--just one hopeless guy.

Person follows random emotional signals. He can't hold a thought in his head for more than a few seconds. He shows what everyone is like underneath all that bullshit.
  • Best Behavior
  • THE BROTHERS CRUNK - An 8-Bit Fack-It-All Adventure in 2D
  • The Cannibals of Candyland
  • Piecemeal June
  • Vacation
Sam Pink is the author of The No Hellos Diet, Hurt Others, I Am Going to Clone Myself Then Kill the Clone and Eat It, Frowns Need Friends Too, and the cult hit Person. His writing has been published widely in print and on the internet, and also in other languages. He lives in Chicago, where he plays in the band Depressed Woman.
More about Sam Pink...
Rontel The No Hellos Diet Hurt Others I am Going to Clone Myself Then Kill the Clone and Eat It Witch Piss

“And I realize that there is nothing to worry about without first wanting to be alive a certain way.
That is somewhat relaxing to think.”
18 likes
“I walk down the hallway and go into my room and call it a day and it calls me something else.” 17 likes