Start by marking “Summoning” as Want to Read:
Summoning

Summoning

Summoning is based on a “true” Irish witch story in which an evil vicar sells not only his soul but also that of his young servant girl, Meredith, to the devil. After learning the dark craft herself, Meredith finds herself trapped in the demon's shadow when she is accused of witchcraft. It is up to her to find the light and save herself – and those she loves – from the ...more
Published October 9th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Summoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summoning

Meg
Jun 27, 2011 Meg rated it liked it
I find myself ambivalent about this book. The story was an interesting one, but I never really found myself engaged in the story, and I did learn to care about the characters towards the end.

I found the story very choppy as the action moved back in forth through her early years. I usually don't mind a story that moves around, but this one had very short sections on her young life, and then boom, back to 15 and then boom, back to earlier. I never really got to know the character, and I missed tha
Elizabeth Svigar Stephen
Apr 10, 2011 Elizabeth Svigar Stephen rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book. Faulkner brings together a plethora of lovely, harsh and raw elements to form a bewitching (pun intended, I suppose) whole: the cold, wet beauty of Ireland and Scotland, God and the Devil, mysticism and magic, castles, church, betrayal, love, and witchery. The story is told non-linearly; we meet main character Meredith at a different point in her life each time the chapter breaks. This does not feel like some sort of arty-literary device. Rather, it helped me to ...more
Vanessa
Jun 22, 2011 Vanessa rated it really liked it
To start with, I was quite disappointed with the way the story is narrated. I expected something more detailed in terms of descriptions. Why? It’s because I want to read more and get lost in the story with the main character, Meredith. She wasn’t my favorite character; still I liked her naïve being that often made me sigh as I read on. Furthermore, I thought the first person point of view worked well in bringing her character to life in my mind's eye. However, to simply say that Summoning wasn’t ...more
Amy Siggelow
Jun 11, 2011 Amy Siggelow rated it liked it
I won this book from the Member Giveaways on Library Thing.

I was intrigued by this book, for the fact that it is based on a "true" Irish witch story. I also like stories that are from the distant past and the distant future. This book is set in the distant past. One thing I did not like, although this is purely a personal preference, is the fact that it jumped back and forth between ages of Meredith, the main character. One section would be from when she was 8, the next section from when she was
Emily
Oct 21, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story pulled you in flipping back and forth following the life of Meredith. A young woman sold at the age of six by her parents to an evil vicar demanding his rent of one year he purchases Meredith for seven. The man was twisted and evil he wasn't the pure christian he pretends to be summoning the devil and making packs with him found out later with Meredith for riches and powers. It's based in Ireland in the times of witchcraft scares and paganisms downfall.

Pulled in you get to experience
Birgit
Jun 05, 2011 Birgit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realize a lot of people don't like narratives where the author is jumping back and forth in time to tell the story, but I'm actually a big fan of it if it's well done. And it certainly is in this case, bringing the story together in a haunting crescendo at the end.
The main ingredients of the story are Meredith, a young servant girl, and a vicar selling not only his but also her soul to the demon Legion. Debi Faulkners writing style drew me in from the first page with her realistic descriptions
Avry15
Oct 16, 2014 Avry15 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, reviewed
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

i enjoyed this book.this is great really..since i am really fascinated with magic, spells and witchcraft..

along with other reviewers.. i at first had trouble with the flashing back in time.. it's not really indicated when it's past or present..but once i understand the tactics.. i began to read this with ease..

as for meredith.. i like her character.. but i would also like to recommend to the author to make another book showcasing meredith's life before
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Monica Sheffo for TeensReadToo.com

After being sold into slavery by her desperate parents, Meredith Pennyfather finds herself at Raewald Castle. As a servant to the Vicar Grimsditch, she encounters a dark force summoned by the Vicar himself - a force named Legion.

An exchange is made, one which threatens Meredith's very soul, as well as that of the Vicar's. Overwhelmed by fear and curiosity, she finds herself at the center of a dark ritual with a potentially deadly outcome.

Debi Faulkne
Oct 25, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Summoning is a wonderful story that stayed with me long after I finished reading the last word. Faulkner's talent with words and her background as a poet show in her brilliant prose. Strong, interesting characters in an Irish landscape transport the reader to another time and place. Her book, a Faustian tale, but with several interesting twists is part mystery, part fantasy, and part historical fiction.

Craftwise, this is a strong book. A few writing techniques caught my eye. The story is about
Apr 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-before-2014
I enjoyed the Summoning by Debi Faulkner. Meredith is a young girl indebted to a man full of righteous evil but seeking a way to be reunited with her family. For many years she quielty accepts the abuse of the Vicar, a man who has sold his own soul and hers as well to a demon known as Legion. It is only after being accused of witchcraft that she is able to find away to defer the second half of the Vicar's bargain with Legion.

Although I enjoyed the story I feel that it could have been better exe
Darcia Helle
Jun 13, 2011 Darcia Helle rated it it was amazing
I found this story well written and engaging. The characters drew me right in. I loved the plot, which gives an inside view of how easy it was to be marked as a heretic and a witch.

I have to admit that I am not normally a fan of books that move back and forth in time. This one does that. Meredith is fifteen while the story takes place, though we go back and meet her at each year of her life from seven on to present. Debi Faulkner handles this well and, though I initially wished the story had ta
Naomi
Aug 10, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing
As I was reading this, I was trying to look at it from the perspective of a young preteen or early teen. (,15 yrs). Ms. Faulkner did an amazing job on this book. This book was incredibly creepy while remaining CLEAN. No reference to poor language, sex scenes or drug/alcohol reference. Ms. Faulkner's book is a clear example that YA authors can have quality YA books without resorting to what I mentioned above targeted to our young readers!
AvidReader47
May 12, 2011 AvidReader47 rated it really liked it
Summoning by Debi Faulkner is based on an old Irish witch tale. Evil Vicor sells his soul and the soul of his servant girl Meredith to the devil (what a guy!!). She spends the rest of the novel trying to redeem herself before she is accused of witchcraft. This story reminded me a lot of the ancient banshee folklore that scared me to death when I was younger. Overall, I really liked this story. It was different and well worth reading.
Karly Kirkpatrick
Mar 02, 2011 Karly Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was amazing. I was a little skeptical at first because of the time switch between past and present, but as the book moved on, I realized how brilliant it was and how finely Debi wove the stories together. I would highly recommend this book. I'll post a review on my blog www.karlykirkpatrick.com soon! Awesome book, Debi!
Thea Atkinson
Jul 03, 2011 Thea Atkinson rated it really liked it
pretty impressed with this author. nice characterization and a really interesting story. It kept my interest and I read it in a day. I highly recommend this read
Debi Faulkner
Oct 12, 2010 Debi Faulkner added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shameless promotion here! This is my book -- I wrote it. I'd tell you how wonderful it is, but it would be a totally biased opinion!

So, here's the blurb instead:

The short version of the description is here:
Summoning is based on a "true" Irish witch story in which an evil vicar sells not only his soul but also that of his young servant girl, Meredith, to the devil, and it is up to her to save herself - and those she loves - from the deal.

Here's the longer version (if you're still intrigued):
S
Eirian Houpe
Jan 13, 2013 Eirian Houpe rated it did not like it
Disappointment, with descriptions as a redeeming feature.

From an allegedly true Irish story Summoning falls into the general horror and/or mystery genre of young adult texts, but somehow seems to fall short. The one redeeming feature of the book is that the descriptions, particularly of the dissonance between the senses, and inner conflicts when dealing with demons which help to create a darker, more suffocating mood. The characters, however are merely sketched, and this is not helped by the lea
C.M.
Jan 05, 2014 C.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I had no problem with the flipping back and forth (it helped of course that the author kindly cleary indicate the age of the heroine in the chapter title) and loved how they eventually merged.

The author drew a lot of empathy out of me for the main character and the distinct voices between young girl and older teen was very well done.

A real page-turner -- I couldn't wait to get to the end!
Charm
May 13, 2012 Charm rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Interesting, fast read. The back and forth between stages in the main character's life were confusing making the story a little hard to follow.
Michelle's Book
Jul 21, 2016 Michelle's Book rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This book cover is on my Pinterest board and my blog, Michelle Dragalin’s Journey.
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2011
Cassie McCown
Cassie McCown rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Maya
Maya rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Jacqueline Murphy
Jacqueline Murphy rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Katherine Cowley
Katherine Cowley rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
May 22, 2012