Start by marking “Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide” as Want to Read:
Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  515 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This is a hands-on guide to mastering Objective C - the language every MAC OS X and iPhone/iPod Touch developer needs to know.
Published October 18th 2011 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published March 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Objective-C Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Objective-C Programming

Bjoern Rochel
Jan 04, 2015 Bjoern Rochel rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology, 2013
Pretty good introduction to Objective-C. I like the challenges presented at the end of most chapters. Really helped me a lot to get basic understanding of ObjC as a language. The next steps for me will be to learn more about unit testing and iOS/Cocoa.
Janie
Dec 27, 2012 Janie rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for learning Objective-C. Objective-C is a pretty screwy programming language that feels very different from other C-derived languages like PHP and Java. It had a massive library of built-in objects and it changes constantly. There is an online forum for this book and others written by Big Nerd Ranch if you need help on the challenges at the end of the chapter.

The only problem I personally had with this book is that things are explained very quickly. I am a person who n
Mark Boszko
Jul 01, 2014 Mark Boszko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been working through this book during a lunchtime book group at my office, and while I do have some previous Objective-C programming experience, I wanted a refresher before I dove back into creating a new iPhone app later this year. They way the book is plotted is top-notch — introducing concepts early on that will pay off later. I've always felt that I understand something best when I can look at it from the ground up (instead of learning at the nice shiny surface, and later having to figu ...more
Elbert Villarreal
May 24, 2012 Elbert Villarreal rated it it was amazing
Un libro fácil de leer por como está estructurado. Va paso a paso en cada explicación, así que no se necesita ningún conocimiento sobre el lenguaje de C o Objective-C para poder entender. Esto es para todo el que se quiera iniciar en el mundo de las app para iPhone, iPad y Mac. Muy recomendado para todo programador beginner.
Zakk Vald
Apr 16, 2015 Zakk Vald rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
The book is really good. However, I always had a feeling that something was left untold. I mean that after reading a chapter I always had to check some things in Apple's Deveper Guidelines or StackOverflow.com. But the language of the book is pretty nice and Aaron is easy to follow.
Mohamad El-husseini
Dec 05, 2014 Mohamad El-husseini rated it really liked it
This is book offers a great intro to Objective-C. I highly recommended learning Objective-C before Swift, unless you have a strong background in statically typed languages. iOS is written almost entirely in Objective-C, so it's difficult to get anything meaningful done without looking at Objective-C libraries. For example, I found myself falling back to C and Objective-C while mocking around with a markdown parser. Besides being easy to digest, this book does a fabulous job of teaching programmi ...more
Kevin Kirkhoff
May 01, 2014 Kevin Kirkhoff rated it really liked it
Shelves: macintosh
I came into this endeavor (to learn iOS development in a casual, relaxed, non-work environment) with 30 years of programming experience with C, OpenGL, PHP, and just a hint of C++. This book and the Big Nerd Ranch series is highly regarded. That's bad for me because most times I expect to be blown away and I usually never am. This was no exception. While I did enjoy the casual presentation and the nice introduction to Objective-C without immediately jumping into iOS or Cocoa development, it stil ...more
Dav
Jul 09, 2012 Dav rated it really liked it
This is a very clear, comprehensive and concise introduction to programming via the Objective-C language. Before reading through this, I would have said Objective-C is probably too advanced (compared to something like ruby or python) for a novice, but the author seems to do a great job introducing a lot of the necessary principles and quirks of the language in an amazingly small number of pages. In addition to the basics there are some sections on low level C operations you tend to run across, a ...more
Amp Tanawat
Mar 10, 2015 Amp Tanawat rated it it was amazing
I would say this book is one of the best intro-to-programming-language books I have read. The hardest bit of writing intro book is how you put a more details here and skip some details there. The authors of this book did this things great.
You will not become an expert in Objective-c with this book. But you are guaranteed to get a whole picture and concepts and this will help you grow your knowledge with other resources in the future.
Jasen Tenney
Jun 13, 2015 Jasen Tenney rated it really liked it
A great book for learning the fundamentals of Objective-C programming. I enjoyed the hands-on nature of the book where each chapter is an exercise for the reader. Each chapter is relatively short so the reader is able to quickly implement a program demonstrating an Objective-C topic. I thought this “work-through” format aided in learning Objective-C and provided a sense of accomplishment.
Jack Arenas
Dec 26, 2015 Jack Arenas rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
BNR was recommended to me by a friend and I've got to give it to them, they did a great job going through key concepts in iOS development ranging from layouts, the view stack, how to navigate Xcode, and more. Highly recommended if you're looking to learn about iOS development. Am considering picking up the Android and Swift books.
Ivan Pavlov
Oct 21, 2015 Ivan Pavlov rated it really liked it
Gives a reader good understanding of basic rules coding in objective c, though it's more like a encyclopedia of terms and patterns, not really satisfied with the 'story line' of the examples performed in challenges. Probably would not recommend as your first objective c book.
Magdalena Nemesh
Jun 05, 2015 Magdalena Nemesh rated it really liked it
Good book for those who is learning iOS development. It teaches Objective C through C. If one does not know C, it requires some learning curve. Chapters are short and give a good base for understanding basics of iOS programming.
Deryck Hodge
Dec 31, 2014 Deryck Hodge rated it really liked it
I started this a few months back when my company took up our current iOS project. I wanted to brush up on my Objective-C knowledge, and this book was excellent for that. It's well done, and a good book for experienced programmers.
Michael
Nov 03, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of programming books over the years, and I find that "Big Nerd Ranch Way" that I experienced in this book is a great pace and approach for teaching people new skills. I found that the chapters provided a good foundation, and unlike many other books, I was unable to find a single program listing flaw. This meant that as I worked my way thru each chapter, I felt confident that I was starting to understand the techniques. Also the challenge questions at the end of many chapters wer ...more
Liz
Jun 15, 2014 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I lost momentum on this book a few months ago when life got busy. Now that Apple has announced Swift, I'm not motivated to pick it up again.

The author has blogged that you need to know Objective-C to really know Swift. If that's true, I'll probably be back in a few months. But so far it doesn't feel very necessary.
Sean Huntley
Jan 12, 2016 Sean Huntley rated it really liked it
A great introduction to Objective-C, even knowing C and skipping the first few chapters. Very well done.
Hector Sanchez
Dec 12, 2011 Hector Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: engineering
This is a great book for someone that wants to begin understanding how to program in Objective-C.
I had already taken C programming courses several years ago but I had forgotten most of the basics and this book was exactly what I needed to remember them. If you have no experience programming though I think this book will be really confusing because it deals briefly with all the major topics in programming although it is not enough for fully understanding them.
With this book you won't be an exper
Ilya Kalimulin
Первая техническая книга, прочитанная мной от корки до корки, за черт знает сколько лет. Написана хорошо, интересно и не занудно. Автор шарит в том, как нужно учить, материал и примеры подобраны к друг другу. Теперь я знаю, зачем в ObjC скобочки и плюсики и минусики. Книга рассчитана на совсем новичков, что следует иметь в виду.

Отдельное спасибо издательству Питер. Сначала начинал читать скан в виде фоток, понравилось, написал в издательство и попросил выложить в магазине электронную копию. Чере
Bhumesh Muche
dgbrgdfgg
Trung Tín Nguyễn
Jul 18, 2015 Trung Tín Nguyễn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Tuyệt, sách rất căn bản về dễ hiểu. Dành cho những người muốn lập trình iOS và OS X.
Fatima
Feb 03, 2016 Fatima rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Just the right amount of info needed for someone who just wants to explore the language, play with it for a little and decides later if they want to move to the more advanced stuff.

I loved it, so simple an not complicated (doesn't go in depth) it touches each topic with what you want to know in general (an overview)

Don
Jul 11, 2012 Don rated it really liked it
Great for learning Objective-C, possible for an absolute beginner to learn from, though it'd be a tough ride. Most of the material in here is covered again in the other Big Nerd Ranch guide, iOS programming, so purchasing it is optional if you're just aiming to do iOS development.
Darius
Feb 20, 2012 Darius rated it really liked it
Shelves: sw-dev
For anyone wanting to get into Mac or iOS programming. Start here unless you are 100% confident of your Objective-C and Xcode skills.

This book does assume that you are at least comfortable with the C programming language, on which Objective-C is built.

Mark Love
Jul 19, 2012 Mark Love rated it really liked it
It's a very good book. It doesn't match the way I learn at all. I find Kochan's primer much easier to follow. I'd give more detail, but I don't think I have enough Objective-C experience to put it properly into words.
Jeremy
Oct 27, 2012 Jeremy rated it liked it
After having read both this and Stephen Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C", I can definitely say the latter is the superior book for a clear, concise introduction to the Objective-C programming language.
Mark
Mar 08, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
A concise and thorough book that covers essential skills in both C and Objective-C. It is focused on giving you what you need to get up and running as an iOS / OSX developer. Highly recommended.
Gabriel Nicholas
Jun 05, 2012 Gabriel Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, easy to read programming book. Hillegass really knows his audience and his iOS. The only problem I had is that there weren't enough challenges for the reader to do.
Glenn Burnside
Jan 27, 2013 Glenn Burnside rated it really liked it
Great introduction to the core of the language. Definitely need one of their follow-on volumes to actually build applications, though.
Linda
Apr 29, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
This was a more basic book than I was expecting but it's not a bad introduction to Objective-C programming.
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac
  • Programming in Objective C
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
  • The RSpec Book
  • Refactoring: Ruby Edition, Adobe Reader
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • jQuery in Action
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Pro Git
  • UNIX Power Tools

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »