Start by marking “Seven Sorcerers” as Want to Read:
Seven Sorcerers

Seven Sorcerers (Seven Sorcerers #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  74 reviews
"Nin had never liked Wednesdays, but this one took the cake. On this Wednesday she woke up to find that it was raining buckets and that her little brother had ceased to exist." Nin Redfern wakes up one Wednesday to discover that her little brother, Toby, has vanished and no one -- not her mother, not her grandparents -- can remember him. Only Nin can, and she's going to ge ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Aladdin (first published 2009)

This is a book that sparkles with inventiveness and fun. The writing is transparent, which means it doesn't get in the way, it serves as a clear window on the action. Some of the ideas here--the 'pearls' of memory, the Gabriel hounds, etc --are beautifully realized. With one exception the characterization is terrific; the bogeyman Skerridge is a particular highlight.

Two quibbles. One is that the main character, Nin, seems emotionally shallow. She has been separated from her life, her mother, he
CCB
I loved the characters, but I don't know if I will read the second one... I just liked how it ended.
Kay
I loved this book. Truly, madly, deeply loved this book.

Seven Sorcerers is that first real Middle-Grade novel I have read since, well, I was in middle grade. And I am so glad I got such an amazing reintroduction to the MG section of the bookstore! Seven Sorcerers is filled with rollicking adventure, humorous villains, entertaining sidekicks and some epic I'm-doing-this-out-of-love sacrifice. It kept me entertained for hours - and I was genuinely sad when it ended.

Seven Sorcerers takes a new spin
Kerstin
Grundidee:Die Grundidee ist nichts Neues: Toby, der 4-jährige Bruder der 11-jährigen Ninevah Redstone, genannt Nin, wird von einem Kinderschreck in eine Parallelwelt entführt. Nin macht sich auf, ihn zu suchen, gerät an Freunde, die ihr helfen und natürlich auch in gefährliche Situationen.
Charaktere:Protagonistin Nin ist ein typischer Charakter in Jugendbüchern: Auf der einen Seite sehr mutig, aber auf der anderen Seite in manchen Situationen sehr weinerlich. Hier waren auf jeden Fall die Nebenf
Maninee
One fine morning ten-year-old ninevah redstone wakes up to find her four-year old brother, toby, missing along with all his belongings. And as if that wasn’t a bad enough way to start a day, her mom suddenly can’t remember the very existence of toby,her son; and neither can her grandparents. It’s almost as if the person who kidnapped toby stole the proof of his very existence along with him, from everyone except ninevah. And just when ninevah is about to just give up looking for him and give in ...more
K.C. Rivers
Have you ever continued to read a particular book just because you want to make sure that your own writing doesn’t end up the same? I felt like that with this story. I did read the whole thing, not because I had to find out what happened, but because I was amazed that it was so ... blah. I liked the general concept, regarding the bogeyman, though it took me a while to get used to the British spelling of it. (I can’t forgive the author for referring to them as “BMs,” however. My sense of humor is ...more
Jessica Martinez
Yeah...sorry but i am following the 50 page rule: if i don't like the book within the first fifty pages i won't read any more, but in this case a made it up to page 88 and i just stopped.
i can't get into the story, maybe its the plot that doesn't interest me.
the way the information is written is too much at once in just a couple of pages. i like my books to explain things like in this case the Drift.
i did like the beginning, but then it became boring and i put the book down. it still hasn't got
Aelvana
Nin wakes up one morning to find her younger brother Toby no longer exists. No one, not even her mother, remembers him. To make matters worse, the bogeyman who snatched him has come back for Nin. Determined to find her brother, Nin journeys across the Drift, a magical land of dread and desire. There she will find an evil far beyond any she's ever imagined . . .

This dark fantasy paints a story both grim and funny. Skerridge is a bogeyman who has never lost a child is determined Nin will not be th
Rashi
I loved this book! It is a fascinating story of Ninevah Redstone, who is on the journey to a magical world, to find her brother, Toby , who had ceased to exist. I really recommend this book to the teenagers who have a great interest in fantasy and adventurous stories.
I am eagerly looking forward to read the sequel of Seven Sorcerers - "Shadow Spells" and I hope it will not disappoint me..!
Shanshad Whelan
Not bad, sort of Labyrinth meets Neverwhere meets The Never-ending Story. Entertaining enough and clearly leading to more stories in the future. It's a grim but exciting middle grade fantasy.
Lynossa
For Nin, Wednesday is the worst day of a week but she learned a whole new dimension of worst when on one Wednesday her little brother Toby was gone and no one in her family remembered him except her. Tried to discover the mystery, she realized that whatever took Toby is planning to kidnap her as well. Managed to escape from the bogeyman but everyone is her family lost their memories about her, hid in Drift with the help of Jonas, a stranger who experienced the same thing with her, Nin discovered ...more
FantasyWereld
Wat zou jij doen als je moeder niet meer wist wie je broertje was? Als de elfjarige Nin op een dag wakker wordt, merkt ze dat alle sporen van haar broertje Toby gewist zijn. Niemand kan hem zich meer herinneren, behalve Nin. Wat is er met hem gebeurd? En hebben de enge, rode ogen in de donkere ruimte onder de trap er iets mee te maken? Nin komt er algauw achter dat er iets vreemds aan de hand is in haar huis. En dat vreemde blijkt ook achter Nin aan te zitten.

Toby is door een boeman meegenomen n
Aqsa
Wayne McCoy
A quite engaging middle grade reader with an abrupt (and unfinished) ending, this book was reminiscent of Neil Gaiman, Mervyn Peake and the movies 'Labyrinth' and 'Spirit Away.' It is a wholly unique creation, but if you like any of those things, then you may enjoy this.

Ninevah Redstone wakes up one morning to find that her younger brother Toby has gone missing, and she is the only person who retains any memory that he existed. He has been taken by a bogeyman (or BM), and events soon conspire to
Jul 06, 2011 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 5-8
Shelves: children-fantasy
Nin normally hates Wednesdays, but the Wednesday her little brother disappears—along with all of his things—is the worst Wednesday by far. When Nin realizes that their mother doesn’t remember that Toby ever existed, she knows something is very wrong.

Nin soon learns that her brother didn’t just disappear; he was kidnapped by a Boogeyman and taken to The Drift, an alternate world where magic and strange creatures exist…along with Mr. Strood, the immortal man behind all of the kidnapping cases lik
Majanka
Read the review on my website.

Seven Sorcerers by Caro King is one of the most humorous, entertaining and spellbinding middle grade novels I’ve ever read. With highly entertaining characters, epic villains that could make Voldemort shiver in fear, reliable and unreliable sidekicks, and a strange and miraculous world called The Drift, Seven Sorcerers offers everything you could ever wish for in fantasy. I was both amazed and impressed while reading this, and I would recommend it to everyone, fant
Angela
In terms of fantasy-type literature, I haven't read anything quite like this. Nin wakes up one morning to discover her brother has gone missing, and she's the only one who remembers him. When the Boeyman, Skerridge, comes to steal her away as well, she enters the world of the Drift. It's a land occupied by the Fabulous (those created by magic) and the Quick (people with souls), and there's a constant struggle between the two under the surface.

Nin befriends Jonas, and together they go on an adven
Sandra
Blood pounding.
Weirdly placed CAPS.
Weirdly like placed likes.
BM's.
Though I liked the general premise at the beginning of the book, the lack of explanation for anything to ever happen was kind of off-putting. I really only read it for the two main characters, Nin and Jason. Though I do think that the world is going to be better explained in the sequel, I'm not particularly thrilled to read it any time soon. It is, however, in my iPad, ready to be read.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Nineveh(Nin for short) Redstone has a problem,her brother has gone missing.To make it even more complicated no one but her seems to remember he existed in the first place!

He has been kidnapped by the bogeyman Skerrit into another world and now its up to Nin to save him.

Ok before anyone starts...I knew it was a childrens book when I started reading it but I just liked the plot and thought it sounded amazing. I am a firm believer that á good book is a good book.This book wasnt it though.

I was expe
Kim (Bookishly Me)
Recensie geschreven voor MagicTales.nl

Dit is een spannend kinderboek met een komische noot op zijn tijd en een luguber tintje. Het leest heerlijk weg en het is moeilijk het naast je neer te leggen. De wereld die Caro King heeft gecreëerd is zowel schitterend als onheilspellend. Het is een wereld vol magie, Boemannen, vampiers en waar niets is wat het lijkt. Nin beleeft de meest spannende en onwerkelijke (en enge) avonturen in de zoektocht naar haar broertje. Het verhaal draait om Nin en Jonas,
Paul
This is another book I received from Goodreads First Reads.

Generally, I'm not all that into young adult fiction. I do, however, love sci/fi and fantasy.

I will say that this book could be read by people of all ages. The story is interesting with a number of twists. The characters are very well crafted. I especially liked the character of Skerridge the Bogeyman and his growth as a character throughout the story.

I do think that the story ended a little to abruptly. It would have been nice to have a
Johanna Berliner
Honestly could not get into this book. The story is interesting enough, but a lot of it feels very contrived- events happen in such rapid succession that it feels more like levels in a video game than events in a story (as soon as Nin & Jonas overcome one obstacle, there's immediately another one, and then another, and another- with little room for development, as far as I could tell). The writing doesn't flow well (King is too caught up in style)- I found myself revising it in my head as I ...more
Soybean Soybean
this was pretty good, the first few pages into the book, was like your hand was being gripped by a dead tree branch, it got your attention fast and it wasn't about to soothe anyone's delicate sensibilities at any time. you had to go on reading, to get to the end. and read it on i did. i must say, the protagonist was quite intelligent for her age, saying and thinking things you wouldn't normally expect out of a ten year old somewhat sheltered girl.i did enjoy reading it and i wouldve been rather ...more
Antoinette Rowlands
A fast-paced story with many different elements. It is full of inventiveness and has an unpredictable quality. I enjoyed it and was quickly drawn into the story as soon as I began reading it. The story definitely left room for a sequel, which thankfully, there was.
Francine
I don't know why, but I never managed to finish this book. Believe me, I tried (3 times). I really wanted to like this one because the plot intrigued me, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. It's not a bad book, it just didn't have the "wow-factor".
Annmarie Ager
why i got the book:
i brought the second book and had to buy the first. i am glad now i did find this series.
setting:
the world that the story was based in was amazing and imaginative i loved all the details and little extras. i found it so interesting dark and beautiful.
characters:
nin was a wonderful character to follow and her luck and determination to put her life back together made you have to keep reading. the other characters in the book were all amazing and sometimes dark and dangerous
Nur Nadhihah
As a fan of fantasy and adventure, I find this book incredibly indulging. This book is different than most of its kin because the heroine was fuelled by her determination to find her brother rather than being "the chosen one". And she's smart too. I recommend this for light reading.
Randi
Nogle mennesker er født heldig og selvom de overlever så oplever de også utrolig, magiske og livstruende ting. Sådan en er Nin men hendes held vil ændre hele verden.
Jjoy
One of the Best books I've read in awhile. It was a compelling adventure set in a world that is totally amazing.
Sarah Nelson
A little dark, but really interesting.
  • Between Two Ends
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • The Book of Wonders
  • 13 Curses (Thirteen Treasures, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
  • The Wednesdays
  • Spellbinder (Spellbinder #1)
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
  • Flood and Fang (The Raven Mysteries, #1)
  • Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)
  • The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)
  • The Power of Poppy Pendle
CARO KING was born in London and raised in Surrey. She did a foundation art course at university and tackled a series of widely varied jobs before joining the Civil Service, working in the Official Receiver's office. She now works part-time and lives in Surrey with her husband, Kevin, writing and restoring their Edwardian house.

Seven Sorcerers came from a rainy lunchtime when she began mapping out
More about Caro King...

Seven Sorcerers (2 books)
  • Shadow Spell (Seven Sorcerers #2)
Shadow Spell (Seven Sorcerers #2) Kill Fish Jones Kill Fish Jones Summer of Firsts