Start by marking “Curious George Goes to the Hospital (Read-Aloud)” as Want to Read:
Curious George Goes to the Hospital (Read-Aloud)

Curious George Goes to the Hospital (Curious George Original Adventures)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  28,142 ratings  ·  103 reviews
When George swallows a piece of a jigsaw puzzle, a trip to the hospital is in order. George doesn't much enjoy the hospital--that is, until he's feeling better. Then, his curiosity gets the best of him and he soon creates quite a mess!
Published April 21st 2008 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George Goes to the Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George Goes to the Hospital

David Simmer II
Jan 07, 2013 David Simmer II rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Humanity
Recommended to David by: God
Shelves: davesfavorites
After re-reading "Curious George Goes to the Hospital" I am convinced that it is the peak of literary perfection, unmatched by any other human accomplishment. The entire spectrum of drama is fully represented in a tale so filled with wonder and delight as to make all other books redundant. The fact that the story's wealth of knowledge and inspiration is so remarkably accessible to persons of most any age is surely a testament to the unarguable brilliance of Margret & H.A. Rey. I loathe to at ...more
David Abrams
It's impossible to understate the importance of this book in my life. I first read it when I was seven. Within a few months *I* would be going to the hospital for an emergency tonsilectomy. During my recovery, George was there with me in the hospital room the entire time. I read the pages until I had every nuance of the illustrations memorized. This book comforted me and, for one of the first times, broadened me beyond my grade-school world. There were others out there who had gone through simil ...more
Tots R
Curious George Goes to the Hospital by Margret Rey, H.A. Rey (Fantasy)
"Curious George Goes to the Hospital" is a wonderful book. I have loved Curious George books since I was child. I loved reading his books to my sons when they were kids. Curious George helps children to understand by fantasizing about everyday life. For instance in the book this makes put children at ease when going to the hospital. I recommend the book for children ages 2-7. George mistakenly eats a jigsaw puzzle piece, think
Rosa Cline
This is a 'classic' Curious George book, so for readers that are used to the cartoon they may not like this book but for those of us that grew up with Curious George it's a fun book to read to our grandchildren (like I just did) This is word for word for the Scholastic movie with the same title, so if you own it or have watched it several times this book maybe 'boring'. But for us it was fun.

George , as always was curious. He found a puzzle the man had left on the table he didn't know what it wa
This particular Curious George book was always my favorite one while growing up, and I still enjoy it today. One thing that always aggravated me, though I enjoyed the pictures because they looked like they were drawn right onto the pages, I didn't like that it kept calling the man 'the man in the yellow hat' but his hat was white in the story. I feel like if kids didn't know anything about Curious George and just picked up this book, they would be extremely confused. Of course, it always aggrava ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oh, no! Curious George swallows a piece of his puzzle, and doesn't feel so good. Off to the hospital he goes, where he finds puppets to play with, and wheelchairs to race down the halls. Another classic George story!
I like Curious George now. Seeing George go to the hospital and have an operation was just like me.
I wanted to include Curious George on my list because my children love these stories. I think they are worth reading. There are several new stories of Curious George that say " In the style of Margaret and HA Rey" but the best ones are the originals. They include Curious George, Curious George Takes a Job, Curious George Rides a Bike, Curious George Gets a Medal, Curious George Flies a Kite, Curious George Learns the Alphabet and Curious George Goes to the Hospital. I strongly recommend the orgi ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the last of the original Curious George books by Margret and H.A. Rey. In it, George is home alone when a package arrives at the door. Since the man with the yellow hat is away, George opens the package, and everlastingly curious, swallows one of the puzzle pieces that he finds inside. When his stomach begins to hurt, the man with the yellow hat checks him into the hospital children's ward to have it removed. There he meets many children, among them the frightened and sad Betsy. In the p ...more
Neha Amin
Review: I think Curious George is a wonderful series for young children.In this particular story, George goes to the hospital and getting surgery. This story teaches children about the hospital and the different people that work there.

Learning Experience: In small groups, the children will be given different materials and will be told to act out the story by pretending to be all the people that are at the hospital. For example, one children can play the patient, another can play the doctor, anot
Christina Deroche
This is a great book. It teaches children a lot and helps them understand what doctors use. Curious George books were my favorite as a child.

L.E. Bring in things that doctors use and describe and demonstrate how they are used. An otoscope is used to look in your ears, nose, mouth. May need a scalpel for many reasons. Aspirin to help with pain. Stethoscope is used to listen to how you breathe and heart beet.

Heather Johnson
I have two favorite books... This is one of them. It's one of the original Margaret and H.A. Ray books (don't let many of the other Curious George books fool you... Most are BASED on the original CG). Anyway, this book is simple and doesn't have too many moving parts like some of the other original stories, which I appreciate, especially for children.

The mischief George gets into is really CUTE, and consistently provokes a smile. The ending, of course, is heartwarming.

LOVE this book to puzzle
This was the "go-to" book for years when a patron said she had a child going into the hospital and wanted something reassuring to read to the kid. Actually, it might still be the book I would first suggest. It is outdated though in several ways, so I would probably have to look up more recent authors who have this sort of book to hand to parents. But, it still is utterly delightful!
Karen Dransfield
This is one of the stories in The Complete Adventures of Curious George 70th Anniversary Edition. I just read through the whole book. I'm reading or in this case rereading through two of the 100 best books lists. One from the Times and one from the Telegraph. Curious George time. I don't remember if I read this as a child or not, but now I have (again perhaps)
The moral of the story is that if you swallow things which are not food you get to go to the hospital and have all kinds of fun. Hospitals aren't good for wheelchair races, no matter what the authors of this book imply. What do they know? They can't tell the difference between a monkey and an ape. I blame the man in the ominous yellow hat for everything.
Review: I love all the series of Curious George. I choose this book because kids are always scared to go to the doctor when they get hurt. It tells you that the hospital is not a scary place but a place where you can get well. I love the visual aspect on the monkey looks like a animal instead of guessing what it might be.

Learning Experience: The experience would be on going to the doctor the health reason on why we should. I would even have a little station in dramatic play on pretend being the
I have always enjoyed reading curious george books since i was a kid. I had never read this one though, and am glad i got the chance. this is an excellent book to prepare young children for hospital visits, or even just a doctors visit. The pictures in the book were very detailed and told the story all in themselves. It is also a good book to teach children that they should always listen, and never put things in their mouths that do not belong.

Learning extension- Teacher will bring in a box of i
Michelle Wilkes
"Curious George Goes to the Hospital" will ease a child's mind when they have to go to the hospital. I read this to a group of toddlers and they wanted to see what was going to happen next. I even found myself wanting to know what would happen to George! This is definitely entertaining and is great for kids to read.
Liliana Jaramillo

George again by his curiosity of gets into trouble but in the end always ends up doing the things right. A little longer and the colors are not very varied. Small letters.

L.E .Made different puzzles

Genre:: Health
This book is my memory of Curious George as a kid. My son thoroughly enjoyed this book as well as the rest of George's book. I think he can relate to trying to be good, but letting his curiosity get the better of him.
This is a great story to read to students so they aren't so scared of going to the doctor. We get to know the hospital a little better as George goes in for an operation to get a puzzle piece removed that he has eaten.
My son wants to read every Curious George book we come across. This one is pretty good. It is only slightly over-long and less rambly than most. The part where George makes the sick little girl laugh is really good.
This story was one of my absolute favorite growing up. I had my dad read it again and again that I promise you, he could tell it to me today from memory. Haha, I was such an interesting child...
Emily Bernd
I love the Curious George series. They are funny and usually teach a great lesson and also give a lot of opportunities for students to make connections of his actions or places he goes.
This one really helped us out today for roman's surgery. if your kiddo ever has to go to the hospital, this is a great way to take some of the mystery out of it.
Rachel Dalton
I love the Curious George books. This is one of the books in the Curious George set I recently received. I will enjoy having these in my classroom simply as fun reads.
My doctor gave me this book when I swallowed a quarter. In the book George swallows a puzzle piece and has to have surgery just like I had to.
This was my favorite Curious George books as a child. It proved to be just as wonderful as an adult. The kids love George.
read as a child I used to love curious George such a cute book (: the author really is a good children's writer.
Lindsey Adams
Margaret and H.A. Rey are the wonderful author and illustrators of the famous Curious George books. Curious George Goes to the Hospital is a fun and energetic story about George who opens the door when someone leaves a package. The man in the yellow hat isnt there and George cannot resist his curiosity--he eats a puzzle piece from the package. He is taken to the hospital where he meets a little girl who is sad. He does all that he can to cheer her up, even if that means wreaking havoc in the hos ...more
  • Curious George Takes a Job
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • Babar the King
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • Madeline and the Bad Hat
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2)
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...

Curious George Original Adventures (7 books)
  • Curious George
  • Curious George Takes a Job
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
The Complete Adventures of Curious George Curious George Visits the Library Curious George Visits the Zoo Curious George Flies a Kite Curious George Makes Pancakes