Start by marking “Marti Talbott's Highlander Series I (Anna, Rachel & Charlet)” as Want to Read:
Marti Talbott's Highlander Series I (Anna, Rachel & Charlet)

Marti Talbott's Highlander Series I (Marti Talbott's Highlander Series #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  827 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Neasan MacGreagor came home an angry man determined to get revenge for being sent away. Yet the man he most wanted to kill, Laird Justin MacGreagor, died before he could. Now the clan had to choose a new laird and most expected it would be Justin’s son, Sawney. However, Neasan had other plans. Could all his plotting and scheming actually make this ruthless man their next L ...more
Published October 9th 2010 by Marti Talbott (first published April 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Marti Talbott's Highlander Series I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marti Talbott's Highlander Series I

Julia
I'm going to give it a shot regardless of the reviews some being a bit negative...

All in all I loved the stories within this book. Yes I got to know the characters in each short highlander story but then again the characters did not disappear from the story as I thought after reading the reviews... Each story is one tacked on to the story before with some time between and yes you get to know the characters well in the time during their story. I did like the twists and turns of the book as well a
TJ
If I were looking at this from a strictly professional point of view, this would not rate higher than a three star. But, I'm not, in spite of the many mildly annoying glitches that jumped out, I really liked these stories! So... here is what I should tell you:

Talbott's mechanics need work. Her use of the word "and" is applied so often it literally litters the pages and (hee, hee) a simple comma will do! Once she lands on a term, or name (in this instance "toerag", I don't even know what that mea
Carolyn
While not like the usual "Highlander" books I'm accustomed to reading with in-depth historical research, grit and violence (along with those hunky highlanders), this book nevertheless still rated 5 stars from me. It is a series of four individual stories about one family that is character-driven and beautifully told. Normally, I avoid a book with several short stories because just when I'm getting to know the characters and getting into the story, it ends and I feel let down. That was not the ca ...more
Kathy
This is a collection of three short Highlander stories, about Anna, Rachel and Charlet. While I enjoyed the overall story and characters, the writing left me wanting. My biggest complaint is the constant POV changes; at times it felt like the book suffers from ADD. I did enjoy the idea for each story; I just found it to be poorly executed. I admit, I am tempted to read this author’s later work and see if there is any improvement.

ANNA: I’ll start with what I liked. I thought the story was fun as
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This was actually three short stories in one book. The stories were well done, and I enjoyed reading them. They were not quite as in depth with research and history as some I've read, but still good. I can't help but love reading about the strong, brawny men of the Scottish highlands. I did like that we kept up with the characters from the first story through the next two. It made me feel like I wasn't giving them up quite so quickly.

There was some mild swearing (hell, damn) and some sensual sit
TC
This was painfully bad! It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the author was a teenage when she wrote this, but what does surprise me is that it was ever published in the first place! This is actually a series of multiple stories, but after reading the first one I couldn't bring myself to try the others. I purches this cheep for my kindle and I got less than my money's worth. Oh well, books like this give me hope that someday maybe even I can get published.
Jeanne Johnston
Meh. Harmless, but not compelling. Painfully chaste for the genre and the writing was a bit pedestrian. Nothing jumped out as great word crafting, many words and phrases were used to death ("scunner"is one I hope to never see again), and much of the premise irked me. In a society where a clan only as strong as its weakest link, why mollycoddle these women to such an extent? Chivalry is great, but the whole "let her go and if she doesn't return, she was never yours to begin with" thing is just no ...more
Rose
The three short books had great potential but the writing was very flat. Like one other review said, I think the author was in high school when they were written. Kissing was as steamy as they got which isn't bad just that I like my books hotter than these. I doubt I will read any others by this author.
SheLove2Read
I cull very few Highland romances. In fact, I can only think of 2 or 3 at most that I ever have, but this one will be added to that list. This is a 3 part novella of related stories. I read the first one which was less than impressive - to me - and attempted the second before giving this a DNF.
Pam
This is the first book to a Highland series I got free in one of my email newsletters and am so glad I did. It's a saga about the start of a proud Scottish clan and through generations so I'm sure I will shed some tears. I loved these first characters, Anna and Kevin, Rachael and Conner and many more. Reading these types of books make you watch your friends grow old and die and some of the good peoples children turn out not so well and people you believe to be friends turn out to be betrayers. I ...more
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
I am enjoying this series and hope to finish it by this week. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Sally Hannoush
Very romantic short stories within a story. I hadn't really thought much of it when I started reading the book. I like how each story has action and romance with a resolution to each storyline and then the following story feeds off the first one so we aren't really starting over since some of the same characters are in each. Each story is a progression of time in the life of the - village? I really like how the coming together with other clans is also thrown in. Sometimes when I read a book and ...more
Paliden
This was my first foray into Ms. Talbott's works. I wasn't expecting much, just a quick, fun read. Boy, was I in for a surprise! I thoroughly enjoyed reading Anna's, Rachel's, and Charlet's stories. They were fun, refreshing, and surprisingly clean. They (the stories) were not as thorough historically as some that I have read, and Ms. Talbot does tend to overuse some words. Also, the amount of switching between POV got confusing. But being that I LOVE books about the Highlands.....I enjoyed this ...more
Amber Wiebeld
Hopeful, but...

Unfortunately, I feel that Marti Talbott fell short in her Highlander Series 1.
I read through this novel quickly as her character development is lacking. Just as soon as I thought "this is starting to get better" the story would end and another would begin.
Anna's story starts the novel and in just over 100 pages she falls in love and gets her husband to rescue her mother and sister from her evil, abusive father.
Secondly, Rachel's story involves a Scottish Clan War and she too fa
Tiffany
I am so pleasantly surprised by this book. I am definitely going to get the next book in the series (once October 1st hits as my book allowance will allow that). I am always a little bit leery of the free books and I tend to have a little bit more lenient review for free books because…well they are free.

As you can see from the title of the book, this book is actually a compilation of three novellas featuring first Anna, then Rachel and finishing with Charlet. I loved each of the stories by them
Donna
This first book has the stories of Anna, Rachel & Charlet. I thought these stories were well written, each pulled you and kept you reading. You liked the Characters especially these Highlander men.

ANNA -- In love with a woman he had only seen once and could not find, the Highlander, Kevin MacGreagor, was growing older and needed a wife to give him sons. No other woman pleased him, even the daughters of other lairds, so he finally settled for Anna sight unseen. But when his men went to meet h
C.D. Loken
This book is just too good to pass up. I have always loved this genre and because I too am from Scottish and English heritage,anything regarding the royalty and clans fascinates me. I read books to escape into another place and time. To feel as if I am right there with the characters of the story. I was not disappointed when I began the first story which was an intriguing, yet humorous portrayal of a English heroine(ANNA) and the handsome and honorable clansman (Kevin). Now that's not to say th ...more
Kyra Dunst
All three of these highlander romances were very well written. The characters flow from one story to the next, and the women are as strong and stubborn as the men. Anna is my favorite of the three, as she is fiery and determined, and holds the MacGreagor clan together well. Rachel's competitive nature fit well with Connor, and Charlet was stunning and brave. Highlander women are always a determined lot, and these three stories showed that well. I would read more from this author.
Amy Hinds
Here's the deal: I enjoy Marti Talbit's books. They are good stories without the smut of most romance novels. The problem is that these are hardly novels, more like novellas. Most can be read in a couple of hours. While I enjoy the story lines, I always feel like there is so little actual story development. I'm left wanting details. I've read several of her stories at this point and find that the climax is over and done with and the book finished before you know it.
Dena
I love how 3 women can turn a clan upside down. We don't think of age until we see it on a grander scale. In the beginning it was a laird in his twenties then we see the next generation and so forth. I thought that was a good call it added character to the stories. I liked the characters they weren't meek or cowed. They were independent and had a lot of strength.
Ebbjr
I couldn't decide on a 3 or a 4. So it's a 3.5. It's like three novellas in one book, but they are the same clan so it works. It was cool to get to read how things changed over time. I would suggest reading the prequel, The Viking, first. Don't have to (I didn't) but after reading The Viking I thought that it would have been fun to have read them in order.
Englishrose
This book was a delightful mix between a collection of short stories and a saga-like series all rolled into one book. Though the three stories are separate, they feel very much like a continuation of the same story, much more so than most series-type stories. The characters are fun and well detailed despite the brevity of their stories. Each had their own spunk and personality that made you root for each couple to fall in love in their turn, and you are able to see some of their follow-up in the ...more
Raquel
I read this last night when I couldn't sleep from a headache. I wanted something sort of fluffy and hopefully soporific and that's what I got.

This was a very sweet little run of long-short stories. The voice of the narrative reminded me a little of a children's story with broad encompassing statements telling what is going on and how people feel. Not sophisticated but very accessible. The characters are all very likable, the stories, nicely formed. I give them an eye-rolling score around 2 out o
Elizabeth
If you can deal with the poor editing , then it isn't a bad book. It consists of 3 short stories revolving a Scottish highlander clan. If you want a lot of detail or extensive character development , then this book isn't for you. It's a quick read and enjoyable.
Diane Powell
Anna, Rachel & Charlet

Another great read, exciting and adventurous. Great to see how the family doing. They manage to keep peace, and when a problem comes up they try and take care of it without too much blood she'd.
Shellie Nicholson
This was a good series. I enjoyed the characters, and getting to know each generation. It had humor, drama, love, and mystery. The plots were well developed, and I wasn't disappointed with any of the endings!
R.C. Drake
This review is from: Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 1 (Anna, Rachel & Charlet) (Kindle Edition)
Just thought that I would premise this review with the fact that I am not a Highlander, so therefore I cannot attest to the fact that this book is or is not historically correct. The comments I would like to make are simply, "I enjoyed the book." The romance wasn't too mushy and I like, 'damsels in distress,' books with action. The characters were very interesting and the plot was plausible. All
Audrey02
3.75 good read, several 'parts' to the book as if several short stories were put into one book. They would not be as good stand along, but together are entertaining.
Jody
Anna - This section was great. I was so hurt and concerned about the characters, I had trouble remembering they were fictional. I loved the fact that the horse played such a part in the story.
Rachel - This Rachel is the same from the first story! Thirteen years later. Rachel has trained to be as good as an lad at defense and it comes in handy when another lord gets greedy. Finally Anna wants to redecorate after two children! Oh and the horse makes another appearance.
Charlet was found by Connor (
Kari
The main reasons this book didn't get five stars is because of spelling errors and the fact that I wish each story was a full length novel.
Books 2 Read: Marti Talbott 3 6 Sep 08, 2011 01:53PM
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides, # 1)
  • Wild Angel
  • Unleashed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #1-3) (The MacLauchlan Berserkers, #1-3)
  • Lady Danger (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #1)
  • Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid (Kellington, #1)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • The Loyal Heart
  • Shades of Honor (Grayson Brothers, #1)
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Legacy
  • Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty, #1)
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wild One (The de Montforte Brothers, #1)
  • With this Kiss
  • Passion's Tide
  • The Kindling Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #1)
  • Midnight Marriage: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series #2)
Marti Talbott lives in Seattle and has written several full length novels, including The Billionaire's Will, Seattle Quake 9.2, The Promise, and Broken Pledge.

She began writing the 14 book Highlander Series in August of 2009. Now, readers can follow the MacGreagor Clan into Colorado's early 20th century in her new Marblestone Mansion series.

To be notified when new books are available, visit www.
More about Marti Talbott...
The Viking Marblestone Mansion, Book 1 (Scandalous Duchess, #1) Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 2 (Maree, Gillie, Jessup & Glenna) Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 5 (Clare, Dolee, Catlin & Lasha) Betrothed(Marti Talbott's Highlander Series, #6)

“you must set her free. If you try to control her, she will hate you for it and you will lose her.” 1 likes
“must honor her, trust her and listen to her. Most of all, he must be willing to let her go.” 0 likes