Start by marking “Friday Nights at Honeybee's” as Want to Read:
Friday Nights at Honeybee's

Friday Nights at Honeybee's

Everyone who’s anyone in the Harlem music scene has heard of Honeybee McColor and the famous Friday night gathers that fill her brownstone to bursting. In the early 1960s, nowhere but “The Big House” attracts so many renowned jazz and blues musicians--and no one but Miss Honeybee attracts such talented lost souls as Forestine Bent and Viola Bembrey.

The two women come from
Published January 1st 2003 by The Dial Press

To ask other readers questions about Friday Nights at Honeybee's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friday Nights at Honeybee's

Cosima
This book was wonderfully written and has fully fleshed-out, soulful characters. It's a compelling tale of two struggling young women from very different backgrounds who become friends when their paths eventually cross at the home of a magnetic socialite known as Honeybee.

The first chapters alternate between the two women in their home states, detailing the things that will bring them together. The final setting is '60s Harlem, but the reverberations of the Harlem Renaissance are felt throughout
Babydoll
Sep 09, 2010 Babydoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Smith was highly successful in creating a great story that enchants the reader within the first couple of paragraphs.The characters are truly memorable and the focus on blues and jazz made the novel even more delightful. Smith captures the soul of Harlem during the blues and jazz era. Certainly a great read, I recommend this book to all who appreciate a well written, Harlem based novel.
Jenene
Jul 04, 2011 Jenene rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The author transports you to the time when you wanted to party and listen to jazz and blues, you had to sneak into the back woods to clubs that were more shacks than real clubs. You can feel the energy!
Nakia
May 29, 2015 Nakia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a 4.5. I loved this story. i feel like there should be a sequel, though. The girls were just getting started. I want more!
Yolonda Chestnutt
Hard to find.. But if you can get your hands on this book READ IT!!!
Shermain Rene
Dec 12, 2015 Shermain Rene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!!!! It broke me out of my slump.
Daphne James
Jun 07, 2012 Daphne James rated it really liked it
Loved it! I felt like I knew all the characters. Would love to read more by this author.
Michelle  Davis
Dec 12, 2016 Michelle Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book over the weekend and finished it while sitting in a crowded doctor's office with my sick nephew. That's saying a great deal being that I was surrounded by children that were whiny and sick LOL. The thing is though that Ms. Smith was able to transport me away from that doctor's waiting room and transplant me right in the thick of things that were transpiring in the 1960s Jazz & Blues era. The main characters Forestine and Viola came from very different backgrounds in many ...more
La Tonya  Jordan
Jan 25, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Go On Girl! Book Club
Recommended to La Tonya by: Everyone
Shelves: good-read
Friday Nights At Honeybee’s is a good first novel for this author. This novel has a slow start. Interest did not peak until after Viola was excommunicated from the church and town, for wanting to know what true warmth and passion is like. This was at the end of the eighth chapter. The host of characters who attended Miss Honeybee McColor establishment for the gather where full of life, intrigue, passion, and danger. The gather was every 1st and 3rd Friday night at Miss Honeybee’s where jazz came ...more
Lorna
Aug 28, 2012 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished "Friday Night at Honeybee's" and I think Andrea Smith did an excellent job telling this story. The characters were well developed and the references to the jazz greats was enjoyable as well as educational. The "gathers" reminded me of any Black gathering - good company, good food, and good music.

I would have liked to see a "wrap-up" of what really happened to Isabel. Did the church people do it? I loved the friendship between Forestine and Viola because quite often women can be c
Hyacinth
Andrea Smith did a wonderful job in the telling of this story! The coming into their own of Forestine Bent and Viola Bembrey Hinson was a story I won't soon forget. This is historical fiction at its finest. The story was easy to follow and flowed nicely. I could smell the foods and hear the music. I chuckled and cried with the characters and was left feeling wit a sense of awe and peace at its conclusion.
Susan
Jun 11, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved reading this book. I noticed as I read there were times i was actually talking to the characters out loud as if i were there too. at one point in the book i actually thought "oh, i can't look", like i was in a movie, but then had to laugh at myself because i was READING and wouldn't know what happened next unless I opened my eyes. EXCELLENT STORY.
Kathy
Jan 13, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like books that evoke a sense of time and place. This does both. It's an excellent book that really portrays the black American jazz scene in the 1950s extremely well. The two lead characters are both interesting in their own right and I enjoyed following their stories. This is the second book by Andrea Smith that I have read. Both have been excellent.
Sherry Molock
Nov 05, 2015 Sherry Molock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

What a delightful story! I loved the characters and the author captures a really important part of African American culture as our community transitioned from the heyday of the blues,Mao jazz to R& B.
Debra Henderson
Oct 26, 2015 Debra Henderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Early 1960's......Musicians. Drugs, Sex and Early pregnancy are all parts of the puzzle. These 2 characters in the book come from totally different backgrounds, but end up as friends.....in a most peculiar way.
Definitely reccommend this!!!!
marie rogers
Nov 04, 2015 marie rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotional

Everyone has a story. Everyone needs something to ground them. It was easy to be drawn into the world of the various characters. These characters are people we know in one form or another. We all need a "gather" to feel fee.
shaka thompson
Jun 07, 2015 shaka thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice

It was intriguing from beginning to end.. I enjoyed the excited and the sadness tied it all together. This was a Goodreads.
Concrete Rose
Jan 18, 2016 Concrete Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touched my soul.

love this book omg!! It was definitely a page Turner and I couldn't put it down. I wish there was a part 2 to this.

Tori
Jun 19, 2008 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though somewhat predictable for me from almost the beginning, I had a good time reading this book nonetheless.
Robbin
Aug 19, 2012 Robbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By the time I got to chapter three, I realized I'd already read this a while ago and loved it. Sadly, I don't remember anything about it.
Shirley Schuster
Shirley Schuster rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Chigee
Chigee rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Doret
Doret rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
MS. KYM
MS. KYM rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Zina
Zina rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Yola
Yola rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Karen Miller
Karen Miller rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2009
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
  • Full Figured 6
  • Sunday Brunch: A Novel
  • Amos
  • Being Plumville
  • I Ain't Me No More (Always Diva, #1)
  • Pecking Order
  • Rosie's Curl And Weave
  • Mary B. Morrison Bundle: Soulmates Dissipate / Never Again Once More / Darius Jones (Soulmates Dissipate, #1-2, 8)
  • Baby Brother's Blues
  • Shades of Jade (Strivers Row)
  • Finding Family
  • Nappily About Us (Nappily, #7)
  • The Accidental Diva
  • Grand Opening: A Family Business Novel
Andrea Smith has received fellowships from the Frederick Douglass Creative Arts Center and The New York Council on the Arts. She was born and raised in Brooklyn and now lives in Atlanta.
More about Andrea Smith...