Start by marking “Friday Nights at Honeybee's” as Want to Read:
Friday Nights at Honeybee's

Friday Nights at Honeybee's

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Everyone who’s anyone in the Harlem music scene has heard of Honeybee McColor and the famous Friday night gathers that fill her brownstone to bursting. In the early 1960s, nowhere but “The Big House” attracts so many renowned jazz and blues musicians--and no one but Miss Honeybee attracts such talented lost souls as Forestine Bent and Viola Bembrey.

The two women come from
Published January 1st 2003 by The Dial Press

To ask other readers questions about Friday Nights at Honeybee's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friday Nights at Honeybee's

Cosima
This book was wonderfully written and has fully fleshed-out, soulful characters. It's a compelling tale of two struggling young women from very different backgrounds who become friends when their paths eventually cross at the home of a magnetic socialite known as Honeybee.

The first chapters alternate between the two women in their home states, detailing the things that will bring them together. The final setting is '60s Harlem, but the reverberations of the Harlem Renaissance are felt throughout
Babydoll
Andrea Smith was highly successful in creating a great story that enchants the reader within the first couple of paragraphs.The characters are truly memorable and the focus on blues and jazz made the novel even more delightful. Smith captures the soul of Harlem during the blues and jazz era. Certainly a great read, I recommend this book to all who appreciate a well written, Harlem based novel.
La Tonya  Jordan
Jan 25, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Go On Girl! Book Club
Recommended to La Tonya by: Everyone
Shelves: good-read
Friday Nights At Honeybee’s is a good first novel for this author. This novel has a slow start. Interest did not peak until after Viola was excommunicated from the church and town, for wanting to know what true warmth and passion is like. This was at the end of the eighth chapter. The host of characters who attended Miss Honeybee McColor establishment for the gather where full of life, intrigue, passion, and danger. The gather was every 1st and 3rd Friday night at Miss Honeybee’s where jazz came ...more
Jenene
Loved this book! The author transports you to the time when you wanted to party and listen to jazz and blues, you had to sneak into the back woods to clubs that were more shacks than real clubs. You can feel the energy!
Daphne James
Loved it! I felt like I knew all the characters. Would love to read more by this author.
Yolonda Chestnutt
Hard to find.. But if you can get your hands on this book READ IT!!!
Lorna
I just finished "Friday Night at Honeybee's" and I think Andrea Smith did an excellent job telling this story. The characters were well developed and the references to the jazz greats was enjoyable as well as educational. The "gathers" reminded me of any Black gathering - good company, good food, and good music.

I would have liked to see a "wrap-up" of what really happened to Isabel. Did the church people do it? I loved the friendship between Forestine and Viola because quite often women can be c
Hyacinth
Andrea Smith did a wonderful job in the telling of this story! The coming into their own of Forestine Bent and Viola Bembrey Hinson was a story I won't soon forget. This is historical fiction at its finest. The story was easy to follow and flowed nicely. I could smell the foods and hear the music. I chuckled and cried with the characters and was left feeling wit a sense of awe and peace at its conclusion.
Kathy
I like books that evoke a sense of time and place. This does both. It's an excellent book that really portrays the black American jazz scene in the 1950s extremely well. The two lead characters are both interesting in their own right and I enjoyed following their stories. This is the second book by Andrea Smith that I have read. Both have been excellent.
Susan
loved reading this book. I noticed as I read there were times i was actually talking to the characters out loud as if i were there too. at one point in the book i actually thought "oh, i can't look", like i was in a movie, but then had to laugh at myself because i was READING and wouldn't know what happened next unless I opened my eyes. EXCELLENT STORY.
Robbin
By the time I got to chapter three, I realized I'd already read this a while ago and loved it. Sadly, I don't remember anything about it.
Tori
Though somewhat predictable for me from almost the beginning, I had a good time reading this book nonetheless.
Chenai
It was cool. But nothing out the ordinary.
Sherri
Excellent story, hated to see it end.
Anita
I loved this book!
Donna Alspach
Donna Alspach marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Tanika Jones
Tanika Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Iulia
Iulia marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Shaunte
Shaunte marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Nicole Allen
Nicole Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ten
Ten marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dancing on the Edge of the Roof
  • Gotta Keep on Tryin'
  • A Love Noire: A Novel
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Divas, Inc.
  • Sweet Little Lies
  • Leaving Cecil Street
  • From Cape Town with Love (Tennyson Hardwick, #3)
  • Single Girl Summer
  • Resurrecting Mingus
  • Playing My Mother's Blues
  • Blind Ambitions
  • Babylon Sisters
  • This Bitter Earth (Sugar Lacey, #2)
  • Groove
  • Rhythms of Grace
  • You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • Sunday Brunch: A Novel
The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner Save Cash and Save the Planet From Thinking to Start Running: The Ultimate Beginners Running Guide on Learning to Run Effortless Foundations of American Sign Language: Course 2 - Ecommerce Dr X's Top Ten Villains