Start by marking “The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World” as Want to Read:
The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World

The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Lonely Planet Journey Books)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  4,658 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher*

Celebrate the world. 229 countries & destinations to explore, 817 beautiful images to inspire - this international best seller features 100% all NEW images and text.

Bigger, brighter and bolder than ever, the second edition of Lonely Planet's definitive travel pictorial has been revised and updated to be even mor
Published October 1st 2010 by Lonely Planet Publications (first published October 1st 2004)

Natalie
Jul 24, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not buy or read this book if:

1.) You have no time to go on a long trip afterwards...
2.) You have no money to go on a long trip afterwards...
3.) You have no intension to be going on a long trip afterwards...

because it is sooooo well written and illustrated, you will feel antsy down to your toes...
...so off You go...
Ariel
Aug 04, 2007 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coffeetablebooks
This is one of the most beautiful books I've come across in years. Stunning full-color, full-page pictures, country facts, and brief bits of Lonely Planet trivia--paging through this book is such a joy. Though the pictures don't necessarily represent the most typicaly beautiful parts of a country, they somehow capture those things that are remarkable about it. Books like this remind us why we love traveling and why we love this amazing world.
Pete
Jul 04, 2007 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This might be my favorite book in the house.

Two pages devoted to each country in the world. All of the countries are in alphabetical order, so you skip around the world haphazardly - but that's part of what I like about this book. It's easy to navigate, well researched, and there's beautiful photography. Don't use this book to decide what country you'd like to visit though. it'll just make you want to visit them all.
Sally
Jan 26, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I didn't exactly read *this* book, but I read the 2nd one. And until its on GoodReads, I'll keep this one on my bookshelf.

I wanted this book because I thought it would make for a great coffee table book. I love, love, LOVE to travel, so what better?!

Things I liked:
-it has almost every country
-the layout of each page (the pictures, the info, the stats)
-the majority of countries have 4 pictures
-the information provided (best time to visit; what to read, listen, watch, eat; in a word)
-the
Meaghan
May 23, 2009 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 1,200 photographs in this book are, for the most part, mouth-watering, and I like the egalitarian design (the countries are listed in alphabetical order, and each one gets two pages, no matter the size or population or relative fame). A word to the easily offended: there are several photos of bare-breasted women and at least one of nude children.

Certainly this book whets a person's appetite for international travel. As a travel guide it's not very useful, since there's only bits of informati
Jen
Jun 03, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is one of my favorite books to look through. Whenever the travel bug bites I either watch one of Samantha Brown's shows on the Travel Channel or I pick this book up and the travel bug (temporarily) goes away. As much as I love to travel and see new places my bank account does not always agree! Actually, it rarely agrees! But this book helps keep me sane!

This book is amazing. Seriously. Lonely Planet takes you on an adventure, an adventure that goes through 230 countries (in alphabetical ord
Sharon
Dec 01, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Lonely Planet has done something very unusual here. With 213 countries (from Aghanistan to Zimbabwe -- and yes, in alphabetical order), with four pages per entry, they manage to get across a great deal of information.

Each country's entry has the same subsections: best time to visit (sometimes this is a different historical era), essential experiences, getting under the skin (with sections on what to read, listen to, watch, eat and drink); in a word (usually a greeting); trademarks, surprises, an
Tisha
Oct 22, 2008 Tisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers & Wanderers
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This book is an excellent summary of every country and island in the world. Lonely Planet takes you on a brief journey to countries far and wide in a completely unbiased way. The U.S. or China get the same 'face time' as Cyprus or Djibouti.

On each page you will find spectacular pictures capturing the culture of the country and its people, rather than the famous landmarks. The text begins with an introduction to the country, then proceeds with information that would be interesting to travelers; n
Eric Wilkinson
I bought this as a coffee table book a while back and use it often when determining where I want to go in the world. Although it is a great generalized resource guide to every country on the planet, it offers little to actual travel information about each country and furthermore acts as only a small snapshot of each countries unique culture and people groups. Think of it more as a guide to broadening your idea of what is out in the world rather than an actual travel "guide".
Deb Oestreicher
Feb 24, 2016 Deb Oestreicher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is typically not the kind of book you read but the kind you leave on your coffee table to occasionally browse (being organized alphabetically, and being full of pretty pictures), but I actually did read it from cover to cover because there was no room on the coffee table.

The photos are absolutely gorgeous and it is great to learn a few things about each country, like official language, population, and so forth. One big surprise for me was the number of countries around the world with En
Katie
May 27, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for a travel fiend with a wanderlust problem. Although actually, it does make it worse by making you want to travel even more.

This is a huge photography book, much in the style of a Lonely Planet or Fodor's type travel guide, except different. It's basically 2 pages about every country in the world, with photographs, quick facts (language, size, population, etc.), info about the country's signature foods, drinks, books, movies, etc.

You can't just sit down and read it cover-to-cover...
Katrin
Jun 17, 2014 Katrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-of-the-day
what a book!! this is simply amazing. a free ebook with info on all the countries of the world. pictures for every entry, a small introduction and quick facts. I learned about countries I never knew existed. I learned where some countries are situated, I learned about cultures, diversity and most of all the mingling of different peoples, cultures, traditions, modernism.. all of it! this was a trip in itself and i loved it. :) thank you lonely planet for this. I also like how the book is objectiv ...more
Samantha
Jul 07, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book and cannot rate it high enough! I am an avid traveller and am always excited to get my hands on a new travel book. This is far by my favourite of any travel books I have read, what makes it even better is how the book has been presented. It has beautiful photographs of over 200 countries in the world. If you didn’t want to visit anywhere before you got your hands on this, you certainly will once you have read it!

I like this book as it runs through countries alphabetic
Tony Halttunen
May 26, 2016 Tony Halttunen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was psyched to purchase this book, being a wanderluster with a penchant for the uncommon road. I think the choice of photos reflected a desire to portray the uncommon backroad, hidden, less-traveled path. But I was disappointed with some of the written editorial and photo choices with the countries to which I relate. My Albanian friend disliked the Albania spread because the individuals portrayed consistently throughout all photos were only from the country, I disliked the South Korea and Bras ...more
Lorri
Jan 27, 2013 Lorri rated it it was ok
A nice coffee table book of interesting photos. However, given the errors and omissions I noted about the countries I am familiar with, I would discourage anyone from using this book to plan a journey.

1. In Canada (my home country), Anglophones are not predominantly bilingual and Francophones do not have control over the country - yes, they are disproportionately represented in parliament as is Prince Edward Island but they are still a minority in a huge North American sea.
2. Despite giving reco
Korrina Davis
Sep 23, 2015 Korrina Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is cool. It includes a heap of countries that I wouldn't have otherwise known existed and inspires a shit-tone of wanderlust!! It doesn't have the room for in depth analysis of each country but it provides a nice little overview of each which might prompt you to look beyond for more information. It has fun facts and heaps of beautiful photographs. I bought it for my Dad and ended up stealing it for myself.
Anna Wilde
Apr 03, 2014 Anna Wilde rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kudos for listing so many countries, however with no more than a few paragraphs and about two paragraphs of information on each country, it's really not useful for anyone wanting to travel. Keep as a memoir of your adventures or a display piece on the bookcase for conversation starters..
Melissa
Mar 16, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travel buffs; wanderers of any kind
Shelves: reference
The format of the book is perhaps my favorite aspect of it: every nation -- no matter how large/small, populous/deserted, rich/poor, developed/struggling -- is profiled in the same manner with the same amount of information. To further accentuate this, nations are listed alphabetically, which also makes for easy reference when you're watching a NGC special and just have to know a little more about Reunion or Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (which I still maintain would be a great name for a ban ...more
Steve
Oct 28, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful. As someone who loves (no, lives to) travel, I use the Lonely Planet guide books religiously, and they have never let me down. When I heard they were doing this, I knew I had to have a copy. One of the things I've always loved about the Lonely Planet books is that they find ways to use photos of off the beaten path stuff to show what the everyday life in a country is like, rather than just the usual big tourist attractions. So, in Italy, we see a waiter setting up sidewalk ...more
Lindsay
Jan 23, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has travelled extensively, I've read my share of travel guides. I have always found Lonely Planet books to be very evidently 'Mercian; there are several condescending remarks about many cultures and counties in this book (and others I've read) that have really turned me off. National Geographic or DK guides are the best by far!
Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I own two editions of this book. I also have the red one. I love these books and will likely get the next one. They make me dream and plan the trips I want to take. The format is pleasing- a small snapshot of each country with food, literature, and sightseeing information as well as amazing photographs. I have gotten tips on interesting books to read and movies to watch.

My three-year-old son has taken to requesting we look through the book together, too. He asks me if we can go to the places (s
Lysa
May 29, 2016 Lysa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's not the kind of thing you read in one sitting. But I go back to it any time I want to fantasize about travel. Great photos, maps and general information.
Tanja
Jun 26, 2015 Tanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really beatifull,
there is so much information in it with beautifull pictures on every page!

One in a while I open it to read about some new countries.
DrLoni
Jun 23, 2014 DrLoni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every photograph in this book makes you want to be exactly where the photo was taken.
Rebekah Goodwin
Jan 07, 2016 Rebekah Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful images and useful, quick facts about each country
Heidi Mumford
Great armchair reading to fuel those with a wanderlust heart!
Jodi
Jan 03, 2013 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Wow! This is a fantastic book! It gives a snapshot of every country in the world - one two-page spread for each country. One page is all incredible photographs of the land, the people, etc. The other is information about things to see & do, what to expect, what the people are like, and a "fun fact". Information is given honestly, (for example, if you shouldn't go to a country right now, the book tells you to stay away and why), if with a slight British "lean". I have a lot more places on my ...more
Am Y
Jul 10, 2012 Am Y rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: High quality pages and printing, so even flipping the pages is a joy. The photos are stunning and engaging. Countries are easy to find (in alphabetical order).

Cons: Too little information is given on any particular country. I wouldn't call this book a "journey through every country in the world"; it's more of a quick summary of every country in the world, giving the most important facts and essence(s) of each country.

It's still a good read though, especially if you want a very general idea
LINDA
Jul 09, 2008 LINDA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One rainy sunday I traveled to every country in the world without leaving my bed! My husband and I flipped page by page through this book and took in the photos and short organized information about each country!

Some places that stood out to us.

p. 351 about seychelles

P. 431 about Virgin islands

p. 309 Peru

p. 391 Thailand

Ireland Labyrinth at Dublin Castle

There is a photograph by Martin Harvey on page 79 of boys cansing a fishing net that is amazing!
The Travel Book: A Journey Through Ever 1 2 May 27, 2016 01:16AM
  • Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • The Road Less Travelled: 1,000 Amazing Places off the Tourist Trail
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • 1000 Ultimate Experiences
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die
  • 501 Must-Visit Destinations
  • Atlas of World History: Concise Edition
  • 100 Places Every Woman Should Go
  • Europe on a Shoestring
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • China (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Mexico
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th
More about Lonely Planet...

Lonely Planet Journey Books (9 books)
  • The Africa Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the Continent