Start by marking “Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2

Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2 (Thor: The Mighty Avenger #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  31 reviews
He's banished, he's mad, and he wants to fight. ROGER LANGRIDGE (Muppet Show, Eisner and Harvey Award nominee) and CHRIS SAMNEE (SIEGE: EMBEDDED, The Mighty) re-imagine the God of Thunder in THOR THE MIGHTY AVENGER! THRILL as he battles robots the size of cities! GASP as he tames the mightiest sea creatures! SWOON as he rescues damsels from the vilest villains! COLLECTING:...more
Published March 23rd 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 2

Nicole Chiodo
I mistakenly read the second volume first due to the lack of any visible numbering on the library copy I checked out (perhaps there's a volume number under the spine label). It is easy to pick up the plot without having read the first volume if you at least have a passing familiarity with the character (though I hadn't previously read any comics with Thor as a solo hero, I've seen both the Thor movie, as well as The Avengers movie, and I watched almost all of the animated Avengers series). The r...more
Mark Johnson
So sad that this series only lasted 8 issues. Absolutely brilliant. You've gotta love a series that manages to incorporate homages to Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew from The Muppets.
Joshua
Good like the first collection of this too short series. The stories are all episodic, but do a good job of exploring Thor in his isolation and confusion about being banished to Earth and slowly finding things to like about it. The characterization of Namor seemed off (this may be the only time he doesn't come off as the bitter and arrogant loner that he usually is).
Gayle Francis Moffet
I can't believe this book only ran 8 issues. It's fun, looks great, has an over-arcing story that doesn't take away from the monster-of-the-week feel of the battles, and is exactly the type of all-ages book I love to find because it really is for all ages.

On the other hand, at least there are 8 issues I can recommend to everyone all of the time.
James
The comic finds its stride in this volume, right before it's called to a premature conclusion. Strife on Asgard is balanced with troubles on earth, and the Sub Mariner and Iron Man make excellent guest appearances.

The art is wonderful, blocking out the characters in bulky, but fluid, linework that gives them weight and grace. One flaw is that Thor's appeal isn't as apparent to the reader as it is his love interest. The story admits he's self-centered and babyish, but we don't see enough to fully...more
Kate
I'd been forewarned that the series was canceled smack in the middle of plot, but there's a difference between being told that and getting to the end of the book and going "...wait, but what's next?!" This is especially frustrating because it ends by dangling a reference to the cause of Thor's lost memories.

This isn't the fault of the story, though, but of whoever decided to cancel the series. The story is great! Jane and Thor are just as delightful here as before, and this volume brings Tony St...more
Matthew
A wonderful continuation of the Langridge/Samnee series that was so unwisely cancelled. With this volume we get giant sea monsters, battling robots, and an appearance from that always irritating Loki, all to give us more hints as to why Thor was kicked out of Asgard to begin with. The volume opens with a wonderful appearance from Namor/Submariner; Langrige really manages to nail a very complicated character in a short space that is so often simplified and demonized. Really wonderful stuff here a...more
Emma
This is a well-paced series with snappy writing; clean, simplified inking and a bright colour palette. It's a lot of fun to read through.

The other Marvel heroes who are featured in this issue are well-written and true-to-form, and I think I actually enjoyed Namor and Tony Stark's roles more than Thor and Jane's.

This is one of my favourite Thor series in a while, a great read for old fans as well as a fantastic introductory series for new fans. It's just a shame it got cancelled before a lot of t...more
Rosa
The second volume in Thor the Mighty Avenger. It's more of Thor's tale of being on Earth. There are cameos from many people that will end up in the Avengers with Thor. I love watching his relationship with Jane Foster develop. The big mystery of what happens to Thor's memory is sort of solved but I feel like there is more that I want to know and the way the graphic novel ended it implied that there will not be more which makes me very sad.

I did skip the vintage Thor at the end but that's mainly...more
Mza
May 23, 2011 Mza rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
... a tall and fairly effeminate Thor, written in a lighthearted Whedonesque style (minus Whedon's sexual politics) ...

This version of Jane Foster is an archaeologist who works in a museum and dresses in earth tones. She's pretty much a flawless execution of a nerd's idea of a desirable long-term girlfriend. If the series hadn't been cancelled suddenly she might have had a chance to become interesting.

Chris Samnee is a pleasant cross between Mike Mignola and Jeff Smith -- uncluttered, kinetic, c...more
Amy
Jun 28, 2014 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Still totally adorable. It's a shame it doesn't continue.
Snow
I enjoyed Langridge's work on this series, but Marvel could have easily combined his work into one volume and left off the early Thor comics, which were so painfully bad. Plus, since this series was cancelled so soon, it has a very unfinished quality to it. The Muppets joke in book 2 was cute. The art was strong -- very lively and modern, without being too over-the-top superhero. But overall, the series was only okay, never given the opportunity to reach greatness.
Abby
I really enjoyed these comics. I get easily bored with many superhero comic books, but I find Thor's storylines very appealing, most likely because of the mythology aspect of them. This volume was fun, but I am not quite sure why it was not published in one book set with the first volume. I enjoyed seeing the early Thor comics (which were pretty bad), to see how the characters have evolved. I only wish there were more of these.
Brian
I didn't realize this was the last volume. There were only two volumes (8 issues) of this series. Perhaps it's because the art was more unique than the usual "comic book" art style. This is more of a playful Thor, but it is a bit disappointing that there's no resolution. Still, worth a read.

Also, the art at the end described Jane Foster as more (someone whose name I forget) than "Natalie Portman." Huh. Funny.
Keith Davis
The Jane Foster of this series is for all intents and purposes a brand new character. The only similarities between her and the old Jane Foster is her name and a connection to Thor. Jane reminds me of Sue Dibney in the way she becomes a full partner with her superhero boy friend; so in a way I'm glad Thor: the Mighty Avenger was cancelled at issue 8 before something horrible happened to her.
Dru
More great comics! This is a fun book that continues the stories from volume 1. We have a few more super heroes show up as well as a mystery villain and giant robots! The problem is that there is no volume 3 to continue the story. The art is fantastic and the writing is superb. It's disappointing they stopped making these comics.
Shaun
The thing I really love about the 'Thor: Mighty Avenger' run is that the utterly wholesome, old-school feel to it's storytelling. Somehow Langridge managed to tap right into my nostalgia about comics when I was younger. Samnee's art is amazing too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this comic except that it ended too soon.
Rachel
Jenna Goodall
The issues in this volume were just as good, if not better, as those in volume one. It's too bad this series ended as I would have definitely been interested in reading more. Best part of this volume: Iron Man makes an appearance!
Ninon
Not a great fan of the art - but there's a LOT of cool and funny references throughout the whole story.. and it has a lot of great humour!!
If you're a nerd/geek it's quite fantastic to read! :)
Same feelings as the first volume, overall I enjoyed it a lot, and the art is worth the buy alone. I actually think I would have continued to check out this series if it hadn't been cancelled.
Matt
Another fantastic volume of this book. It's an absolute shame that it got cancelled as quickly as it did; Langridge writes a far more interesting Thor than pretty much anybody since Simonson.
John Stone
This is the best Marvel series I've read in a loooong time. I may be mistaken, but was this trade the last one? If so, whoever cancelled it fucked up royally.
One of the best comics running in 2010, so of course it was canceled. Went out with a bang, with Steampunk!Ironman.
Ann
May 14, 2013 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I read this because I read vol. 1. Vol. 1 was a top ten recommended Graphic Novel for Teens 2012.
Amanda
Squeee! Iron Man/Tony Stark cameo! There's also a pretty awesome dinosaur/dragon(?) thing.
Andy
Along with Vol. 1, an excellent introduction to Thor, one that's also quite kid-friendly.
Maxwell Heath
Kinda fun, good artwork, nothing really mindblowing.
Michael
I love reading old comics and graphic novels.
Laur K.
  • The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media
  • Thor: The Trials of Loki
  • Sidescrollers
  • Marvel Chronicle
Roger Langridge has been producing comics for over twenty years. Most recently, he has attracted critical attention for his work on the Harvey Award-winning Muppet Show Comic Book (Boom! Studios) and Thor: The Mighty Avenger (Marvel Comics); other works of note include Marvel's Fin Fang Four, Fantagraphics' Zoot! and Art d'Ecco (in collaboration with his brother Andrew), and the NCS, Ignatz, Eisne...more
More about Roger Langridge...
Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1 The Muppet Show Comic Book: Meet The Muppets John Carter: A Princess of Mars Thor the Mighty Avenger Snarked Vol.1: Forks and Hope