Start by marking “Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine” as Want to Read:
Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine

Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine

'Looking back at The Libertines is like catching flashes of sunlight between buildings as you race by on a train. An old film reel where the spools are weathered and worn, leaving empty frames on the screen.'

In the final years of the last millennium, Carl Barat and Pete Doherty forged a deep musical bond, formed The Libertines and set sail for Arcadia in the good ship Alb
Published September 30th 2010 by 4th Estate

To ask other readers questions about Threepenny Memoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threepenny Memoir

Charlie
Oct 11, 2014 Charlie rated it liked it
Carl seems to be a very unreliable narrator. There's a lot of stuff he's left out, presumably to make himself look better. He talks about being almost incessantly "off [his] face" on a variety of mind-altering substances that he felt unable to function without; but then he says it was only Pete's addictions that caused the problems in the Libertines and in Pete and Carl's relationship, and acts like his own drug and alcohol use are no big deal.

I tend to be nervous about memoirs, since they are
Niklas Pivic
I did an NME cover with Morrissey once, and Morrissey said, 'To some people I'll always be Morrissey from The Smiths, no matter what else I do. And you'll always be Carl from The Libertines.'

Yes, but these are not the words from a panicked man, even though Carl Barât seems to be frazzled and afraid at times. In a good way, because he lets his emotions go and reveals himself as another person than the confident man onstage, as he says he often comes across as, according to other people.

He writes
Rosemary
Mar 17, 2013 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-books
A fairly short read and very enjoyable despite the often depressing subject matter. Carl has a talent for imagery you don't see in most books written by rockstars. Those looking for a detailed picking apart of his relationship with Pete may be disappointed. The book begins, after a very brief chapter on his childhood, with his moving to London to start university and spans his career until 2009. Laid out like that it is incredible to realise how short lived The Libertines really were. However, I ...more
TLW
Mar 01, 2011 TLW rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Got a bit cringe worthy in places, but my nostalgic obsession with The Libs and my overwhelming lust for Carl saw me enjoying it anyway. Also, Istrongly identified with his feelings on Paris. There's also the occasional laugh out loud moment and really, it's not all that bad.
Jemma Jeanes
Oct 01, 2016 Jemma Jeanes rated it did not like it
They say 'never meet your heroes', Carl Barât is not quite in the hero leagues but I admire his work. This was a tragic meeting. Laid bare without any music or poetry it confirmed the rumours were true - the 00's were not profound, exciting or groundbreaking. A horrible indictment of everything I suspected was true but had previously refused to believe.
Jake
Apr 04, 2016 Jake rated it really liked it
'Threepenny Memoir' is a welcome chance to hear musican Carl Barat's side of things surrounding his love-hate relationship with fellow 'Libertine' Peter Docherty. The man has a romantic style of writing, and a rare (for a rock star's memoir at least) talent for creating imagery, which makes this book a very easy read. If you're a fan of his, then this book makes for a good companion.

At the start of this memoir, Carl briefly writes about his childhood in one chapter, and quickly progresses to his
Janitag
Aug 10, 2011 Janitag rated it liked it
Recommended to Janitag by: Elisa
It was nice to finally hear the whole story from Carl's perspective.

A very sad read, even though from time to time I found myself giggling out loud. I absolutely love his romantic style of writing. His love for London made the whole reading experience all the more enjoyable for me and my yearning to be back in England only grew while reading the memoir.

I'm so glad he has found happiness in his life, he deserves it.
Paula
Apr 08, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it
No creo yo que sean muy fiables mis estrellitas teniendo en cuenta que es peor que yo híperadjetivando cuando habla de todos los sitios insalubres que pueden existir en Londres (no he visto a nadie más enamorado de una ciudad) y que menciona a David Niven en A Matter of Life and Death.
Kate
Oct 21, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Libs fans
Really enjoyed a slightly different perspective of this familiar story. Sorry to hear straight from the horses mouth how fucked up it all got - but that was fairly obvious anyway.

Would read another five of these - I'm sure he has enough stories to write again.
Polina Liberman
Oct 07, 2015 Polina Liberman rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read. Fun and heartbreaking, bittersweet.
Memoirs rarely feel like adventures but this one truly is.
Suzy.
Suzy. rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2016
Nobby
Nobby rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2011
Matilda
Matilda rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
CiderandRedRot
CiderandRedRot rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Ayse Cihanyandi
Ayse Cihanyandi rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2011
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Marketa
Marketa rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Janie
Janie rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Anamarija
Anamarija rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Danika Hinz
Danika Hinz rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Reread
Reread rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Alishia.
Alishia. rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Steven Claeys
Steven Claeys rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Martyna
Martyna rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Adam Coatham
Adam Coatham rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Libertines Bound Together: The Definitive Story of Peter Doherty and Carl Barat and How They Changed British Music
  • The Books of Albion
  • Bit of a Blur: The Autobiography
  • Blur: 3862 Days: The Official Story
  • Post Everything: Outsider Rock and Roll
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Suede: Love and Poison: The Authorised Biography
  • Quaderni ucraini: Memorie dai tempi dell'URSS
  • Vivian Leigh
  • Secrets of the Geisha
  • Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell: The Dangerous Glitter of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed
  • My Spiritual Autobiography
  • Pete Doherty: Last of the Rock Romantics
  • Hinter goldenen Gittern: Ich wurde im Harem geboren
  • Freaky Dancin'
  • Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life
  • Look up for Yes
  • Revoltingly Young: The Journals of Nick Twisp's Younger Brother
Carl Barat was formally in British band, The Libertines, who have recently reformed.

He has just published his autobiography Threepenny Memoir, and is about to launch a solo album.

More about Carl Barât...