Start by marking “Teach Yourself Visually Crochet” as Want to Read:
Teach Yourself Visually Crochet

Teach Yourself Visually Crochet

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The visual way to get hooked on crochetThe art of crocheting is timeless-and its popularity is evident in the surge of modern, sophisticated techniques like amigurumi and Tunisian crochet. So if you yearn for the skills to join this crafting revolution, this easy-to-follow guide is for you!

With new patterns and even more techniques explained step by step, this updated edit
Published February 1st 2011 by Visual (first published December 1st 2005)

Karen B.
I bought this e-book as I am trying to teach myself to crochet. I am left-handed so not every book works as well for me. Although there were pictures in it because of its format I wasn't able to see them as well as I would have liked so I broke down and ordered the print copy of this just so the pages would be full size. From what I have read I can tell that this book is going to be a great help.

I just received the paper copy. The illustrations are large, clear and in color. Highly recommended.
Sara
Oct 21, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
I am technically still using this book, but I feel like I've gotten a good enough idea of its merits as an instructional manual to write something about it. I think for anyone who learns well through trial and error, this book will be extremely helpful. The pictures could be better, i.e., they could more clearly demonstrate the precise step being discussed, but the "plain english" instructions are great and quite illustrative. If you're the kind of person who likes having a teacher handy, someon ...more
Natalie
Feb 20, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I used this book as well as YouTube videos to teach myself to crochet. One reviewer criticized this book for the lack of basics, but I found plenty of useful information and I refer back to the book often. There are plenty of colorful photos to illustrate techniques, and they all made more sense to me when coupled with videos (I am definitely a visual learner.) Nice projects, too.
Kathleen Dixon
Mar 26, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
I can't wait to finish my current crochet project (a blanket for my granddaughter which could have been finished a month ago if I hadn't decided to try freeform lace for the 6th square) so I can borrow this book again from the library and make a sampler of all these wonderful stitches. I've been crocheting for years but have never done anything to a pattern, so it'll be fun to give all these ones a go.

Oh, I promised myself I'd make a cushion for my mother first.

#2 I can't wait till I've finished
Megan
Mar 12, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
This book is super helpful for those wanting to learn to crochet, or even brush up after not crocheting for a while. The pictures are extremely useful.
TC Mason
Jun 10, 2016 TC Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference tool that is easy to use. Great for refreshing and learning new techniques!
Rachel
Dec 20, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
Great resource for beginner crocheters or those that want to brush up on their skills. I have never been good at interpreting crochet shorthand, and I've always been a better visual learner, so this book was ideal for me. It gave you basic and advanced stitches, in addition to techniques, stitch variations, combining stitches, how to follow a pattern, stitch patterns, and troubleshooting. It also shows how to make different shapes/flowers/creatures, blocks and motifs, edgings, and patterns for e ...more
Leann
Jun 23, 2014 Leann rated it did not like it
Not a particularly helpful book, unfortunately... Not enough focus on the basics.
Lisa Topp
May 22, 2008 Lisa Topp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning crocheters/all crocheters
Shelves: crafting
This book is great for everything from beginning stitches to more complex ones, from fun flowers and curlie cues to easy afgans and wraps. Photos and directions are great. I played around with the afgan stitch and making flowers and curlies last night.
The book covers everything you need to know about getting started, from types of yarn and their care, to selecting hooks, and how to read patterns. This copy is from the library, and I would definately like my own copy to keep on hand. It is an inv
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
great illustrations
Paula
Aug 29, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I looked at many Crochet books before picking this one out. I think it's the best learn to crochet book out there. It's not easy to teach yourself to crochet but this book really makes it possible. The pictures are very good. I keep this book nearby and refer it often in case I forget how to do something or want to learn a new stitch. I've found that most of the mistakes I first made when starting was from not reading the text of the steps close enough.
Peggy
Mar 20, 2008 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it, reviewed
This is a very good book for beginners! I learned how to crochet from this book (with a little help from my friend Sophia), and they have a lot of different ways to crochet really pretty patterns!

I actually recommend this one over "Happy Hooker", part of "Stitch n' Bitch". While Happy Hooker has a lot of projects and patterns, if you are a beginner that wishes to learn, the Visual book is definitely worth the investment!
Hafidha
Ebook on my kindle app isn't always in sync in terms of text and photos, but this book is great. I love how everything is broken down by small chapters so you can easily find what you need in the table of contents. The language is very clear and direct. The instructions are broken down step by step. Great for the ADD person, in my opinion.
Lyndz
Dec 08, 2011 Lyndz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Quite good, but I thought there would be more pictures you definitely have to read the instructions as well as look at the pictures. I had ZERO experience at crocheting before this book, but I am now doing several of the basic stitches with ease. I plan on moving on to some more difficult ones soon.
Alison
Jan 17, 2016 Alison rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very detailed and well-written. I got it from the library, but I am very tempted to buy it for future reference. I've been doing single stitch crochet for many many years, but thanks to this book, I know multiple stitches, and finally created something other than a straight line.
Margaret Metz
Jul 04, 2013 Margaret Metz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I am very inspired by this book. It is chock full of projects and different stitches to learn. The full color photographs and step by step instructions are very helpful. The only improvement would be if I could hold my piece up to the book and it would tell me what I'm doing wrong. lol
Holly Booms Walsh
Jul 16, 2007 Holly Booms Walsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice or wannabe crocheters
Shelves: crafting
Most useful intro to crochet book I ran across while learning to crochet this spring. Great illustrations and explanations. I bought this as my reference guide and have referred to it several times already. Highly recommended to novice crocheters.
Ceanne
Jun 15, 2011 Ceanne rated it it was amazing
Even though I've been crocheting for more than 20 years I still like to look over the teaching guides around. Some times there are new spins on this old favorite of mine. This book also has some nice patterns I'm going to try.
Stella
Dec 21, 2007 Stella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
I had to turn this in because it was on request. Bummer because I still wanted to learn more stuff in it. I actually taught myself to crochet with this. I knit, but had never crocheted before. I recommend it if you want to learn.
Jan 11, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy
Great resource.

Something I could see referring to quite frequently.

I taught myself the single crochet and the double crochet.
This book got me to experiment with circular patterns, flowers, and balls.

آية  مجدي
For such an idiot like me, it was great :D
It learned me how to crochet. I had no experience crocheting before, but it was a great guide for me. I'll use it more and more.
Katie Bug
Aug 04, 2013 Katie Bug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best crochet book!!! I am interested in crocheting new stiches but I couldn't seem to find any good books but then I found this one!!! BEST BOOK!!!!
Sonya
Mar 01, 2011 Sonya rated it really liked it
Yeah, I'm a dork but this book really helped me to learn how to crochet, easy to understand and follow. Good Pictures.
Anna Piranha
Jul 14, 2012 Anna Piranha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent instructions for both left and right handed crafters. Very clear photos.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT tool for a beginner and new stitches for the more advanced! Love this book!
Apr 24, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crochet
Absolutely love this book. Great for those who like to design their own stuff.
Janis
Feb 25, 2013 Janis marked it as to-read
Shelves: crafty
On the nook. Brilliant for mobile crafting.
Monique
Jan 21, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creative-diy
a must have...perfect intro 2 crochet
Mzfitz
Apr 06, 2010 Mzfitz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
tclib 746.434 werker
Serra Kamanga
Serra Kamanga marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting
  • Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • Crochet Me
  • The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Crochet Bouquet: Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • Crocheting For Dummies
  • Positively Crochet
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World