Start by marking “The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion” as Want to Read:
The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion

The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion

Three celebrated thinkers and business consultants explain the striking implications of our shift from a Push economy to a Pull economy
Published April 13th 2010 by Basic Books (AZ)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Pull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Pull

Doug
Feb 09, 2012 Doug rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, nonfiction
While reading this book, I was already mentally categorizing this book as a two star, 'it would have been an interesting article in The Atlantic or the New Yorker but is a little long as a book' book, but then I stumbled on this passage:

Now, some might find this an elitist view of work. Of course, creative marketing people or talented software engineers or highly trained chemists can be passionate about their work. But what about janitors, truck drivers, or assembly-line workers? How will they
Dennis Fischman
If you're a manager--particularly a corporate manager--particularly a manager in a top-down, siloed, "do it the way we've always done it" corporation, then The Power of Pull may be for you. It will tell you:

1. People need to learn new information and make new contacts all the time, because the challenges they will face in the future are unpredictable. You never know what it is that you will need to know, or who will be your most valuable collaborator. Seek serendipity.

2. Organizations need to cr
Oleg Kagan
Jul 01, 2010 Oleg Kagan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: idea-books
The purpose of an "Idea Book" is to introduce the reader to a new concept or a creative reorganization of old concepts. An idea book should guide as well as inspire. In either case, it should leave the reader thinking. Like a literary classic, an idea book should welcome rereading, yielding something new every time. Based on this sketch of what a good idea book should be, it is clear that most idea books are not very insightful, The Power of Pull is one of those books.

Just like most idea books,
Bill
May 10, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, career
The Power of Pull succeeded in getting me to think about the hypothesis - that current business is trending away from top-down effectiveness toward bottom-up, using new networks of relationships and communication. But they didn't convince me that they have a unified theory that allows individuals and institutions to succeed in this new scheme.

The argument is built anecdote by anecdote. I don't disagree that there is a paradigm shift occurring. But a collection of anecdotes does not a paradigm ma
Jimt43
Jan 14, 2011 Jimt43 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another in a very long line of books in which the author has about 2 chapters worth of book and then is forced (or wants) to extend it to book length. The information in here would make a great blog or two, but not a book... give me a break! The little information contained here (I got bored and quit reading after not too long) DID give me pause and I am in the process of rethinking my approach to social media for IP2Biz.
David Hood
Aug 03, 2010 David Hood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in creating something or changing something you should read this book. One of the best books I've read in the last five years. Fantastic. Also follow @jhagel on twitter.
David Reno
Feb 01, 2011 David Reno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It is a high-level business book that looks at some of the technological/business environments that have fostered success. The "Power of Pull" is about how businesses must operate in our new environment. In the past, the power of push based initiatives dominated corporate decision makeing. The authors suggest that push-based decisions require accurate foresight to be effective, as companies would forecast demand and set production in motion to meet it. In their new suggested model, p ...more
Bob
Nov 18, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is an overall theme to this book that is important, critical even, to large, established businesses that are struggling to increase their relevance and improve innovation. While the ideas in the book may be clear to those of us who, as described by John Hagel, live on or near the edge; it is not clear to mainstream businesses. This may sadden some of us given that the Web is now 25 years old, but it remains true. I choose to believe the negative reviews of this book overlook this fact and ...more
Kerry
Feb 12, 2014 Kerry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: project
Lost me in the beginning when they started using terms that they hadn't yet defined.
Then once I understood, the extent to persuade me that this "Big Shift" was inevitable involved stating that 'this big shift is inevitable.' I'm sure there was more here than I found. I definitely found islands of clarity but the shipwreck of a start made it hard for me to master the tumultuous seas. There were things I agreed with but as the whole book was about this one thesis, given they left me confused abou
Lloyd Fassett
Oct 29, 2010 Lloyd Fassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For the first time in history we are dealing with a technology that shows no sign of stabilization in terms of price / performance ratio improvement. In fact, the exponential rate of improvement of the three building blocks of digital technology - processing, storage, and transport - is likey to conintue for an indefinite period of time." pg 44.

And I say, rumininate on the idea of how this message found you.
Bernadette Boas
Aug 15, 2011 Bernadette Boas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will let you know
Phillip
May 25, 2010 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why business is different now than it was 20 years ago and what it means to you.
Shantyadhyyudhistira
cinta yang tak pernah padam...

hari ini aq mencoba menelaah tentang perasaan cinta yang tak pernah padam...yang mana aq berpikir sepertina tak masuk logika...meskipun sering aq dengar lagu milik vina panduwinata...yg judulna 'logika'...

dimana...logika...hati q...jatuh cinta kepadana...
tetapi...ternyata...asmara...tak kenal dg logika...

ketika teman aq mengalami cinta yg tak pernah usang...cinta pertamana...yg dialamina ketika saat kuliah...tadina aq berpikir...apa seh yg dia tunggu...sedangkan dia
Elizabeth Licata
May 30, 2014 Elizabeth Licata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting this book to be about technology and/or the future of the digital age. This book is not like that at all. The Power of Pull is rather about how to use the internet, social media and conferences to learn new things and influence others. Fundamentally, that’s not a bad thing to learn. Unfortunately, I got next to nothing from The Power of Pull.

There were two main problems I had with The Power of Pull. The first is simply that I am not the target audience. As far as I can tell, The
Todd Sattersten
Jun 20, 2010 Todd Sattersten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hagel and his cohorts at Deloitte's Center For the Edge, a research center based in Silicon Valley, have being doing research to understand what they call The Big Shift. Their work has uncovered a variety of insights, but the most telling is the reduced profitability of today's corporations versus their counterparts forty years ago. We talk about how information, networks, and execution are changing the way individuals and institutions compete.

From the book:

"Pull is a very different approach, on
Stephen Redwood
Compared to most popular business books, this is an above average read. A simple model lies at the heart of it (think in terms of stocks and flows, gain Access to the worlds you want to be part of, Attract interest and Achieve one's potential), but the writers avoid the common plague of repeating the core proposition ad nauseum and, instead, have enough interesting insights (like their thoughts on Creation Spaces and Collaboration Curves) which mostly justifies the length. There are also some go ...more
Peter
May 27, 2010 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be involved in communities. Create communities. The whole is greater than its parts. When you're part of something, you can do more. You can't lead without a community to lead. If you're not part of a community, you're missing a lot, and you could be out of business. "Pull" is not Customer-Centered product development. It's a new concept. It's about providing for a community, and by giving to that community and providing a mechanism for them to use and give back, you can get back in spades. I'm ...more
Andrew Gillette
This book is all about a way to look at post industrial economies differently. Modern economics uses a push approach whereby the market tells consumers what they should want. There is some review of the more nuanced business/economic theory as to what is and what could be; for example there is much talk about the Business Administration theory of "the experience curve," along with behavioral models and "scientific management" or *taylorism principles.

Contrasting the above, the book emphasizes to
Roger K.
May 25, 2014 Roger K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book based on Chris Dancy's recommendation and I am so glad I did. I recommend it to anyone trying to understand how to influence in a world where traditional techniques don't work well.

It focuses on how to make things happen in a world where hierarchies are losing their power. The authors emphasize a few key points in the book, with numerous, vivid examples:

- Focus on flows of knowledge, not stores
- Value primarily arises from the edges of systems, not the core (what Gladwell refers
Peter House
This book has a lot to say about how to foster serendipity and creativity. In its best moments it pulls from creative sources like surfing and World of Warcraft. In its less creative moments in falls back on the rather rote narratives of Silicon Valley.

The book is valuable. It shares a number of keen observations about how things are changing, speculates on possible outcomes, and offers suggestions on how to take advantage of those changes.

The book falls short in meeting its potential because,
Paul W
As value is increasingly drive by information flows, stocks of knowledge have a rapidly depreciating value.
The world of Push was determined by forecasting needs and designing systems and standardised processes to respond to those needs.
The world of Pull is determined by three levers - Access, Attract and Achieve. Finding and accessing people and resources; attracting people and resources that are relevant and valuable; and using those resources to achieve.
This book co-authored by John Hagel, co
Pierre
Aug 12, 2011 Pierre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The executive summary and a handful of chapters were very thoughtful and convincing. Overall a good book with very useful practical advice and framing devices to help comprehend and manage the massive changes taking place as a result of the digital-communications age taking firm root in our daily and professional lives. Some chapters and examples, however, were a little light on substance (applied examples) and perhaps a little too Silicon Valley / California-based. I also found it difficult to ...more
Vishnupriya Sharma
It would be hard to give this more than 3.5, but, I'm unable to give it on goodreads. The author provides a framework for tapping the network and connecting with the proverbial 'right people'.

This book is not a "10 step guide" and does not lay out the things to do to achieve what he is doing. It is only a set of ideas that the author has connected in order to solve problems. If one has to apply these, one has to figure out how by oneself. I find the ideas quite fascinating and carrying high-ene
Dave
Jul 05, 2011 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a really tough time staying focused on this book. As other reviewers have commented, there doesn't seem to be enough "meat" and the last few "Idea Books" that I've read have gone by really fast, with me coming back excited for more every time I get some free reading time. This one actually has been putting me to sleep...I think I've read the same page 4 times now. The slog is getting to be too much for me and I have a stack of other far more interesting books waiting for me on my "To ...more
Joao Cerdeira
The book have a excellent subject well explained. The changing in the way we work is coming and for the better I think.

But, 250 pages to explain this simple subject is to much ... so, the authors repeat the same sentences over and over again. The same book smaller would be a great book.

But the book is very good !!!
Ryan Price
Dec 07, 2010 Ryan Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read half of this (audio) book in one sitting - a very compelling look at how new ideas are formed. Of particular interest to me are the passages about creating spaces with a high amount of pull. I am involved in several movements to that end.

The interesting part for me were their ideas about how innovation happens in communities.
Sandra
May 11, 2010 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although a bit cerebral, the power of pull is a compelling exploration of the paradigm shift that has occurred from push to pull. The authors explore the principles of pull and how understanding and effectivly using pull can guide us through this rapidly evolving world.

The authors mainly focus the institutional level but some of the principles can be applied at the individual level.
Zane Safrit
May 03, 2010 Zane Safrit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a dazzling book. I’m dazzled at every page in how crisply and concisely the 3 waves of this Big Shift are described, case studies and profiles are shared, data is presented.
I have 6 pages of notes from the book’s first 60-70 pages. Very few books have inspired that engagement.

I'm interviewing John Hagel, one of the co-authors. You can listen here: http://bit.ly/c1MOOC
Christina Boyle
This is a business book and thus it is a little painful to read but the meat of the discussion was thought provoking on how is it that you use networks to access new ideas. It was an interesting read.
John George
Sep 09, 2010 John George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A very good book and reflect our times. Some of this might be common sense and already folks practicing the same. Overall enjoyed reading this and reinforced my beliefs on this subject that the trajectory is right.
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • The Art of Immersion: How the Digital Generation Is Remaking Hollywood, Madison Avenue, and the Way We Tell Stories
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us about Innovation
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age
  • Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork. Start the Work That Matters.
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • YEARNINGS: EMBRACING THE SACRED MESSINESS OF LIFE
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Stalking the Divine
I'm a visiting scholar at USC and the independent co-chairman of the Deloitte Center for the Edge.

In a previous life, I was the Chief Scientist of Xerox Corporation and the director of its Palo Alto Research Center (PARC). I was deeply involved in the management of radical innovation and in the formation of corporate strategy and strategic positioning of Xerox as The Document Company.

Today, I'm Ch
More about John Seely Brown...

“Institutions designed for push cannot easily accommodate pull.” 2 likes