Start by marking “Solibo Magnifique” as Want to Read:
Solibo Magnifique

Solibo Magnifique

When Patrick Chamoiseau, Martinican author of the brilliant, magical novel Texaco, turns his hand to writing a police procedural, you can be sure that the "usual suspects" won't be usual at all. In Solibo Magnificent the title character, a master storyteller, dies on the first page, having uttered the mysterious phrase patat'-si ("this potato"). Though it is evident to his ...more
Published March 2nd 2009 by Gallimard Education (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Solibo Magnifique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solibo Magnifique

Chrissie
Disliked the writing style. Every sentence is filled with extraneous information. The writing is disjointed and confusing, stuffed with words that must be found either in the glossaries at the end of the book or translation notes in tiny text at the bottom of the pages.

Every time I pick up this book I think, now I will understand, I must have been tired last time I tried to read it. But every time the same thing happens. I don't understand what the heck is being said and think: jeez, get to the
Leeyanne Moore
Nov 15, 2009 Leeyanne Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because it uses meta-fiction so naturally to bring the author into the narrative, and it has a very dry use of humor. I particularly love how the author uses great narratorial techniques to show how authorities automatically dismiss and denigrate the poor people they encounter and how the author gets wrapped up into the same shocking off-hand dismissal. It's brilliant.

This is the kind of writing that I find says more about the human spirit and says it more accurately than other
Nancy
Jun 27, 2007 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Storytellers and those that love them
The art of storytelling is alive and well but in Chamoiseau's tale the storyteller has done the ultimate -- he has become a magnificent tale. A story of clashing cultures and the misunderstanding of an art form, this great book is a teaching tool for the beauty and art of wordsmithing.
Brittany
May 12, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solibo, solibo, solibo.
The more important question was, who was Solibo, not why (or rather how) did he reach his ultimate demise. It is unfortunate that when we meet Solibo that he is at the end of his long journey. This, however, magnifies his inevitable death. I don't think it'll be lost on anyone that Solibo is the loss of the once prevalant oral tradition of telling story to the progression to written works. Solibo was the last of his kind, dying what was presumed a natural death. What I fou
Kie
Sep 16, 2013 Kie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading a novel about Martinique, or any of the French Caribbean islands for that matter. To say the least, it was very insightful! The novel was presented in a very interesting way and I thoroughly enjoyed the way the novel was written. Chamoiseau, the author, sets himself in the novel as the narrator/character and writes down all of the events in the investigation of Solibo's death. Chamoiseau attempts to unify the two different cultures, namely the Creole oral culture an ...more
El
When the title character, Solibo Magnificent, a popular storyteller in Fort-de-France, Martinique dies suddenly in the middle of telling a story during an annual carnival, the local police force swoop in with all of their over-eagerness and power-hunger to accuse the witnesses - the listeners of the story - of murder. The inspector takes all of them (including the author and protagonist of the book in a sort of story-within-a-story sort of manner) in for questioning; despite their insistance of ...more
Alcesti
Chamoiseau c'est un écrivain pour lequel l'équilibre entre l'écriture et la tradition orale c'est la direction fondamental de sa propre recherche. Voila pourquoi cet "improbable" roman policier peut être considéré comme un acte d'amour pour "les mots. Toutes les mots" (comme l'auteur même admit), et pour cette tradition orale que, comme Solibo, n'arrive pas à survivre (pour asphyxie elle aussi) dans une modernité de plus en plus sourde (et muette?).
Le roman nous donne des portraits savoureuses d
Jasmine
Solibo Magnificent by Patrick Chamoisseau compares and contrasts, yet also highlights, the importance of both written and oral language in the city of Fort-de-France, Martinique. The storyteller Solibo Magnificent dies during one of his storytelling sessions and this event symbolizes the death of the Creole language. The French are the ones in power in Martinique, and they impose French as the dominant language, forcing the Creole language to die out. Meanwhile, Chamoisseau, the narrator, uses w ...more
Andrew
Magical realist tropes that would otherwise seem tired somehow become fresh when touched with Creole wordplay and insertion of the author as character. Martinique, for such a small country, has produced so much damn literary intelligence. I do, on the other hand, feel like this is just stock magical realism, and I've seen a great deal of what goes on in this book done better by Grass, Marquez, and especially Rushdie.
Cisco Jae
Really good but not great. I read it a few years ago and I'm wondering if I read it now would I not think it is much better maybe a four star. It is pretty sad from a racial perspective. But it is definately worth checking out.
Sean
Sep 11, 2009 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is probably considerably better in the original, semi-made-up, half French, half Creole it was written in. It's all very good as a metaphor for a dying language, but kind of not very interesting as a story. I liked the bit about the ants.
Prooost Davis
Mar 11, 2011 Prooost Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I've read in a long time. It is ostensibly a police procedural, but it's also a lament for the loss of Martinique's oral storytelling tradition.

The language sings, even in translation. There's plenty of humor, but the ending is very powerful.
Melondrop
May 24, 2014 Melondrop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, florid, transporting descriptions, captures the violently ludicrous and rampaging nature of law enforcement, and a lament to the fading art of storytelling in a world very different from the one I'm used to. Gorgeous.
Jillian
Jul 27, 2007 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book rocks. it's like having a storyteller stand before you and recite/perform the story--wisdom, horrifying parts, humor, and all. plus we had some killer class discussions based on this book.
Rachel
Sep 09, 2007 Rachel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Caribbean lit lovers
This book is for my Francophone literature class. I just started it. It's a detective novel that takes place in Martinique.
Dov Zeller
Mar 16, 2011 Dov Zeller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, brave, cutting, elegiac, comic, cruel, bewildered and irreverent. Funny and horrifying and horrifyingly funny.
Aramis
Apr 03, 2010 Aramis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to reading this one. I wasn't blown away but I did appreciate its humor and the storytelling aspect.
Jazzy
Sep 14, 2013 Jazzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chamoiseau writes so poetically and beautifully. I love his use of metaphor and simile. Took me to a whole other world in Martinique. GREAT writer! Interesting twist on the detective story formula.
Pedro Cabiya
Pedro Cabiya rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2011
Laura Faludi
Laura Faludi rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
MichaelP
MichaelP rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Mo rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Alix
Alix rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Gena
Gena rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2008
Rebecca Stokes
Rebecca Stokes rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2014
  • The Chosen Place, The Timeless People
  • The Wine of Astonishment
  • Poetics of Relation
  • The Last Warner Woman
  • Masters of the Dew (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Camera
  • Abeng
  • Un Papillon dans la Cité
  • Papi
  • Roberto Zucco
Patrick Chamoiseau is a French author from Martinique known for his work in the créolité movement.

Chamoiseau was born on December 3, 1953 in Fort-de-France, Martinique, where he currently resides. After he studied law in Paris he returned to Martinique inspired by Édouard Glissant to take a close interest in Creole culture. Chamoiseau is the author of a historical work on the Antilles under the re
More about Patrick Chamoiseau...