Witchlight

Witchlight (Light #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  993 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of the most beloved and praised fantasy storytellers of our time, has once again written a compelling and powerful novel with larger-than-life characters.

Winter Musgrave's past is largely blank, her memories missing or tissue-thin. She seem to be possessed--objects shatter when she passes, the corpses of animal appear on her doorstep. And she has...more
Published September 15th 1997 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

Chibineko
I've read a few books by MZB, so I was pretty surprised at the subject of this book. Where I usually associate her with fairy tale kingdoms & Arthurian legends, this book is solidly in the "present" (1990s). The end result is something that both pleased & disappointed me.

Winter is a young woman running from something that she is unable to describe. Previously she was a self-assured young mover & shaker on Wall Street, but took a leave of absence from all of that due to reasons she is...more
Holyn
I love Marion Zimmer Bradley's writing but have never read her books outside of those associated with the Mists of Avalon series. So this novel was my first foray into her general fantasy fiction.

It was a strange ride, although I did read the entire book in one day as I had to find out what happens. This is a sort of mystery novel with a sci-fi/fantasy twist. The main character, Winter (I have to say the names in this novel were a little like something out of a bad renaissance fair. Everytime a...more
Althea Ann
Winter Musgrave awakens one morning in a remote farmhouse, and realizes she has amnesia. She cannot remember exactly how long she's been living in the house or why she came there. She has vague memories of being a successful New York stockbroker, but doesn't know why she quit... until she begins to find dead, mutilated animals on her doorstep, and flashes of the horror she's endured come back to her. In the fear that she is causing occult phenomena unconsciously, she seeks out psychic researche...more
Amy
Poorly written, way too cliche, flat characters, wholly unsatisfying. The third MZB book I've read, and it failed to deliver at every level. Countless times I yelled out "...WHAT." while reading. This was usually followed by some of the biggest eye rolls I've ever performed in my life. Useless, lifeless book.
Connie
This book has the most unlikable main character I have ever experienced. She is selfish, bitchy, self-absorbed and judgmental. 95% of the book is about her exploration of her "forgotten" past. She goes to several people for help, but is nasty to them. In one scene, she pushes through a bunch of students to get to the receptionist. Then she is angry when the receptionist doesn't drop everything and help her immediately. That is typical of how she is throughout the book, and she doesn't change. Wh...more
Catherine Yezak
I really didn't care for this book. I didn't get very far in it. It took to long to get into the story and I couldn't really follow where it was going. It didn't make any sense to me.
Chiara
I've read a number of Bradley's books and enjoyed most of them (though Mists of Avalon was by far her best). But this... was horrid. Don't waste your time.
Jillian
I was rummaging around on my shelves, and I came across this. Eh. Sort of forgetable.
Melissa
After the mess that was Ghostlight (book one in the Light series) I was relieved to find this one was written a little better. It isn't really necessary to read them in order, although you will miss out a little on the backstory of some characters. And there's been some uproar about the fact that this book was co-authored (ghostwritten, completely written, noone seems to know for sure) by someone other than Marion Zimmer Bradley, despite her name being on the cover.

When Winter Musgrave finds her...more
Millerbug
I liked this better than the first one. It had a little bit more plot twists in it. Although the main character was a bitter woman, kind of like Truth was in the first book, Winter finds herself and discovers that she doesn't have to be so bitter and angry over her past and how much forgiveness heals. Thrown in are some interesting things about the paranormal and some witchcraft and occultism, makes for a interesting read.

I wanted to learn more about the "Grey Angels", but that seems to be bein...more
Freya
Boek kan op zichzelf gelezen worden, alhoewel het handig is om deel 1 ook gelezen te hebben (met name voor het "begrip" van het personage Truth). In dit deel borduurt Bradley voor op het paranormale thema. Ik kan het met de beste wil van de wereld eigenlijk geen fantasy noemen, want het zijn zaken die ook gewoon in deze wereld spelen. Denk bijvoorbeeld maar aan de Wicca-Cultus, deze is in deze wereld springlevend.
In deel 1 speelde het paranormale ook wel een rol, maar in dit deel zit het er boo...more
Linda
Thirty-something Winter Musgrave awakens one morning possessing only ragged shreds of memory about her very identity. Even more scary are the mutilated animals she keeps finding in the yard, and the creepy way in which things keep flying off shelves. Hysterical, Winter seeks the assistance of a team of parapsychologists, and by following their advice, she begins to recover bits and pieces of her past. She also discovers that she has some formidable psychic abilities.

Witchlight cannot even hold a...more
Susan Kelley
Aug 20, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Do I have to say more than blah??? I suppose I should. I couldn't stand this audiobook. I just completely disliked it. First of all, the main character, Winter, is a woman - yet they get a man to read it? Why? Secondly, the reader, Pat Bottino, was HORRIBLE! He flip-flopped between being too dry and being a drama queen. And, all of his characters sounded the same!

I blame the director/producer mainly. The quality of the recording was not good. Sometimes the reader sounded like he was in a huge em...more
Kim
I should have read this book BEFORE I read Gravelight, but since there was nothing on the books telling me which order was correct, I ended up reading them as I did.

Of the three I've read: Ghostlight, Gravelight and Witchlight, I liked Witchlight the best. It has several of the characters present in the other two books, and they play a somewhat minor role. The main character, Winter Musgrave, has recently checked herself out of an asylum for the wealthy. She can't remember most of her past, and...more
Bex
This was my introduction to Marion Zimmer Bradley. The story was not at all what I thought it was going to be, but I enjoyed the book nevertheless. Bradley's writing is clear and concise and brings you right into the scene and into the characters minds and who they are as people.

Winter Musgrave is a strong heroine, on the search for a part of her past she has repressed and therefore forgotten. She is strong enough to figure it out and face up to it and come out a better person for it in the end...more
Jeremy Preacher
Witchlight is the most internally consistent and successful of the series, I think. I like Gravelight's first half better, and fans of gothic romance might well prefer Ghostlight, but Witchlight has a solid plot, some interesting metaphysics, and a twist ending that was actually pretty startling. It's still not a good book, really, but it has some things to say and it says them.

(It is worth noting that this book, and the rest of the series, were published years after MZB's death, and are in fact...more
Cathi95
(Fantasy 1995) Light #2. Winter Musgrave is the center of strange phenomena, including the bloody bodies of small animals. It took a really long time to get the story rolling, the narrative just kept rolling around the same information over and over. But once it took off, the story was engaging. Winter ends up finding Truth Jourdemayne (from book #1) and they work together to find out what's going on. I read it in a day. So far, this series is interesting but not great. Sometimes it feels like t...more
Kate
One of the best of the Light series so far, with several spine-tingling moments and real suspense. Winter Musgrave is a typical not-terribly-likable MZB heroine searching for a way to rid herself of a poltergeist and at the same time unlock a past she's completely forgotten. Truth Jourdemayne and Dylan Palmer from Ghostlight play a significant role, and while it's not necessary to have read the previous book to enjoy this one, it will help explain some things.
Kilgallen
A true urban fantasy novel. Overall this was a good quick read and would have been a four or five star rating if I could have felt anything other then annoyed with the main charater. It was not that the character was poorly written but she was so abrasive and unlikable that I was less then concerned with her fate. In fact I would not have been at all concerned if she had been killed off at any time.
Angie Lisle
This book was better than Ghostlight, in that the writing wasn't overtly draped in the Gothic Romance characteristics that overwhelmed Ghostlight. There was less passive sentence structure written in past tense, so the book read easily and quickly. But I still find the characters lacking; none seem like real people, which makes it difficult to lose yourself in the story.
Crispina
This was better than the first - though the main character Winter didn't quite inspire my empathy at the start. You see Truth fully embracing her abilities in this book, helping Winter (although in limited fashion) deal with the phenomenon that is bringing dead and flayed animals to her wherever she flees.
Maggie
The second in a series of 4, continuing the story of Truth Jourdemayne and her ongoing battle against 'bad' magic, especially those dealing with the Blackburn Work (established by her father). After reading the first two in this series I decided not to read any further. They're ok but enough is enough.
Nicole
Review; "Witchlight" by Marion Zimmer Bradley
"Brilliant! Intoxicating! Enthralling! Why read the classics when there are so many wonderful contemporary books like this one."
Nenia Campbell
The Avalon series is amazing. MZB pays incredible attention to historical detail, which makes the books doubly enjoyable if you like learning something new. The first thing that kind of put me off about this book was the fact that it's urban fantasy. Bad urban fantasy. She injects some 90s pop culture references (like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Nirvana-esque grunge, which, I admit, made me LOL in fond nostalgia) but they don't really work. Winter, the main character, is in her thirtie...more
Margo R
It feels lame now, but Young Margo loved this book. I will remember it always because it was the first book that I stay up all night reading because I literally could not bring myself to stop.
Linda
Boring, boring, boring. The only reason it got two starts is because the main character has some spunk. It's been a long time since I picked up a book by Bradley - oh well.
Laurie
Sad to say, after all the wonderful Avalon books, I reached for Witchlight with great anticipation, only to cast it aside after reading, terribly disappointed.
Mark Ferguson
Jan 06, 2013 Mark Ferguson is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Not engrossing as some of her other works. Early on the plot unfolds and only the story between the lines needs to be filled in.
Still a good read.
Annie
I enjoyed this book, it was the first book by Bradley that I read. It was definitly a little different from most fantasy books that I have read.
Shannon
I liked this book. It's the first of Bradley's books I've read that wasn't based in some sort of mythology, and I really enjoyed it.
  • Burning for You (Blackwater, #1)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Return to Avalon
  • The Quartered Sea (Quarters #4)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Bedlam's Bard (Bedlam's Bard, #1-2)
  • Into the Green
  • Lammas Night
  • Serve it Forth: Cooking With Anne McCaffrey
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)
  • Anointed
  • The Hound and the Falcon
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • Sands of Time
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham...more
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand

“Even in her mind the words had the forlorn gallantry of someone whistling in the dark.” 3 likes