Start by marking “Witchlight” as Want to Read:
Witchlight

Witchlight (Light #2)

3.52  ·  Rating Details ·  1,190 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of the most beloved and praised fantasy storytellers of our time, has once again written a compelling and powerful novel with larger-than-life characters.

Winter Musgrave's past is largely blank, her memories missing or tissue-thin. She seem to be possessed--objects shatter when she passes, the corpses of animal appear on her doorstep. And she has
Published September 15th 1997 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Witchlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchlight

Olga Godim
Mar 08, 2016 Olga Godim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I never read this author before, despite her celebrity status in the speculative fiction genre, and this book definitely wasn’t the one to start. It’s rather blah. The heroine’s all-consuming emotion throughout the story is anger. She is stubborn, snooty, and she doesn’t treat anyone well. For all I can tell, she doesn’t like anyone, with rare exceptions. She is cold and inconsiderate and indecently self-absorbed. I disliked her, and my attitude towards her spilled over to her story. I disliked ...more
Amy
Jul 25, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, way too cliche, flat characters, wholly unsatisfying. The third MZB book I've read, and it failed to deliver at every level. Countless times I yelled out "...WHAT." while reading. This was usually followed by some of the biggest eye rolls I've ever performed in my life. Useless, lifeless book.
Chiara
Sep 20, 2012 Chiara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read a number of Bradley's books and enjoyed most of them (though Mists of Avalon was by far her best). But this... was horrid. Don't waste your time.
Chibineko
I've read a few books by MZB, so I was pretty surprised at the subject of this book. Where I usually associate her with fairy tale kingdoms & Arthurian legends, this book is solidly in the "present" (1990s). The end result is something that both pleased & disappointed me.

Winter is a young woman running from something that she is unable to describe. Previously she was a self-assured young mover & shaker on Wall Street, but took a leave of absence from all of that due to reasons she is
Holyn
Jun 18, 2009 Holyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Marion Zimmer Bradley's writing but have never read her books outside of those associated with the Mists of Avalon series. So this novel was my first foray into her general fantasy fiction.

It was a strange ride, although I did read the entire book in one day as I had to find out what happens. This is a sort of mystery novel with a sci-fi/fantasy twist. The main character, Winter (I have to say the names in this novel were a little like something out of a bad renaissance fair. Everytime a
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After the mess that was Ghostlight (book one in the Light series) I was relieved to find this one was written a little better. It isn't really necessary to read them in order, although you will miss out a little on the backstory of some characters. And there's been some uproar about the fact that this book was co-authored (ghostwritten, completely written, noone seems to know for sure) by someone other than Marion Zimmer Bradley, despite her name being on the cover.

When Winter Musgrave finds her
Linda
Nov 10, 2011 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty-something Winter Musgrave awakens one morning possessing only ragged shreds of memory about her very identity. Even more scary are the mutilated animals she keeps finding in the yard, and the creepy way in which things keep flying off shelves. Hysterical, Winter seeks the assistance of a team of parapsychologists, and by following their advice, she begins to recover bits and pieces of her past. She also discovers that she has some formidable psychic abilities.

Witchlight cannot even hold a
Millerbug
Aug 27, 2008 Millerbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the first one. It had a little bit more plot twists in it. Although the main character was a bitter woman, kind of like Truth was in the first book, Winter finds herself and discovers that she doesn't have to be so bitter and angry over her past and how much forgiveness heals. Thrown in are some interesting things about the paranormal and some witchcraft and occultism, makes for a interesting read.

I wanted to learn more about the "Grey Angels", but that seems to be bein
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 Althea Ann rated it it was ok
Winter Musgrave awakens one morning in a remote farmhouse, and realizes she has amnesia. She cannot remember exactly how long she's been living in the house or why she came there. She has vague memories of being a successful New York stockbroker, but doesn't know why she quit... until she begins to find dead, mutilated animals on her doorstep, and flashes of the horror she's endured come back to her. In the fear that she is causing occult phenomena unconsciously, she seeks out psychic researche ...more
Kim
Jun 25, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should have read this book BEFORE I read Gravelight, but since there was nothing on the books telling me which order was correct, I ended up reading them as I did.

Of the three I've read: Ghostlight, Gravelight and Witchlight, I liked Witchlight the best. It has several of the characters present in the other two books, and they play a somewhat minor role. The main character, Winter Musgrave, has recently checked herself out of an asylum for the wealthy. She can't remember most of her past, and
Catherine Yezak
Jun 15, 2009 Catherine Yezak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't care for this book. I didn't get very far in it. It took to long to get into the story and I couldn't really follow where it was going. It didn't make any sense to me.
Jillian
Jun 29, 2009 Jillian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was rummaging around on my shelves, and I came across this. Eh. Sort of forgetable.
Susan Kelley
Aug 13, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Do I have to say more than blah??? I suppose I should. I couldn't stand this audiobook. I just completely disliked it. First of all, the main character, Winter, is a woman - yet they get a man to read it? Why? Secondly, the reader, Pat Bottino, was HORRIBLE! He flip-flopped between being too dry and being a drama queen. And, all of his characters sounded the same!

I blame the director/producer mainly. The quality of the recording was not good. Sometimes the reader sounded like he was in a huge em
Bex
Jul 22, 2010 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to Marion Zimmer Bradley. The story was not at all what I thought it was going to be, but I enjoyed the book nevertheless. Bradley's writing is clear and concise and brings you right into the scene and into the characters minds and who they are as people.

Winter Musgrave is a strong heroine, on the search for a part of her past she has repressed and therefore forgotten. She is strong enough to figure it out and face up to it and come out a better person for it in the end
Jeremy Preacher
Witchlight is the most internally consistent and successful of the series, I think. I like Gravelight's first half better, and fans of gothic romance might well prefer Ghostlight, but Witchlight has a solid plot, some interesting metaphysics, and a twist ending that was actually pretty startling. It's still not a good book, really, but it has some things to say and it says them.

(It is worth noting that this book, and the rest of the series, were published years after MZB's death, and are in fact
Connie
Jun 11, 2014 Connie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has the most unlikable main character I have ever experienced. She is selfish, bitchy, self-absorbed and judgmental. 95% of the book is about her exploration of her "forgotten" past. She goes to several people for help, but is nasty to them. In one scene, she pushes through a bunch of students to get to the receptionist. Then she is angry when the receptionist doesn't drop everything and help her immediately. That is typical of how she is throughout the book, and she doesn't change. Wh ...more
Cathi95
Feb 20, 2012 Cathi95 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
(Fantasy 1995) Light #2. Winter Musgrave is the center of strange phenomena, including the bloody bodies of small animals. It took a really long time to get the story rolling, the narrative just kept rolling around the same information over and over. But once it took off, the story was engaging. Winter ends up finding Truth Jourdemayne (from book #1) and they work together to find out what's going on. I read it in a day. So far, this series is interesting but not great. Sometimes it feels like t ...more
Nicole
Apr 19, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok
I was really expecting to love this book and was shocked by how bored I was reading it. The characters were flat, the storyline was predictable, and most of it seemed to consist of the characters inner monologue. Every time I thought something exciting was about to happen, I was left disappointed. The only thing that kept me reading was the hope that the story would pick up, followed by the sheer will of knowing that I was almost done so I might as well finish it. At least it had a happy ending, ...more
Luseride
Aug 30, 2015 Luseride rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter Musgrave knows something is wrong but has no idea how she got to where she is or why she is there. The dead animals, open doors, and the fear of outside just add to the stress of the mystery. She finally ventures out and gets help from Truth Jourdemayne and learns more about her past than expected but there are still many blank spots.

Her journey to sort out her past also takes her on a journey to find herself and her strength.

Witchlight follows the mystical theme often seen in books of t
Tom
Aug 19, 2016 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"She wore a light raincoat beaded with moisture over a pink cotton Shaker sweater, tan corduroy slacks, and oxblood loafers. Her frizzy riot of copper-red hair was stifled in a severe braid that could not quite control the rain-sequined halo of frizz." ... something unseen, in the back of my mind, like dark and formless cloud, threatening to upend my carefully constructed world of reason and logic.... said to me, unbidden, that... maybe I am not the target audience for this particular book.
Debbi
Sep 27, 2015 Debbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well..it's obvious to me that MZB did not write this book. It lacked her elegance in the written word. There were a number of bad writing issues in it. However, the story was interesting and the plot moved forward at a good pace. I felt there were loose ends that needed to be addressed and some sort of closure with Truth and the Institute. I'm not sure I'll bother reading any more books in this series - too many really good books out there.
Kilgallen
A true urban fantasy novel. Overall this was a good quick read and would have been a four or five star rating if I could have felt anything other then annoyed with the main charater. It was not that the character was poorly written but she was so abrasive and unlikable that I was less then concerned with her fate. In fact I would not have been at all concerned if she had been killed off at any time.
Kate
Jun 14, 2008 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the Light series so far, with several spine-tingling moments and real suspense. Winter Musgrave is a typical not-terribly-likable MZB heroine searching for a way to rid herself of a poltergeist and at the same time unlock a past she's completely forgotten. Truth Jourdemayne and Dylan Palmer from Ghostlight play a significant role, and while it's not necessary to have read the previous book to enjoy this one, it will help explain some things.
Crisp
Jul 22, 2010 Crisp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was better than the first - though the main character Winter didn't quite inspire my empathy at the start. You see Truth fully embracing her abilities in this book, helping Winter (although in limited fashion) deal with the phenomenon that is bringing dead and flayed animals to her wherever she flees.
Maggie
The second in a series of 4, continuing the story of Truth Jourdemayne and her ongoing battle against 'bad' magic, especially those dealing with the Blackburn Work (established by her father). After reading the first two in this series I decided not to read any further. They're ok but enough is enough.
Frank
Jan 19, 2017 Frank rated it liked it
Shelves: on-tape
Book on tape. I'm kinda surprised that I enjoyed this as the reader was mediocre and the story is more about "a horror mood" than a real plot, and I rarely enjoy that, but I dug it. It was abridged which probably helped, but it kinda gave me that good campfire story creepiness...glad I thrifted it.
Angie Lisle
This book was better than Ghostlight, in that the writing wasn't overtly draped in the Gothic Romance characteristics that overwhelmed Ghostlight. There was less passive sentence structure written in past tense, so the book read easily and quickly. But I still find the characters lacking; none seem like real people, which makes it difficult to lose yourself in the story.
Nicole
Jul 29, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review; "Witchlight" by Marion Zimmer Bradley
"Brilliant! Intoxicating! Enthralling! Why read the classics when there are so many wonderful contemporary books like this one."
Rhonda
Jun 06, 2015 Rhonda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
As horrible as it sounds, I didn't finish this one. It was very dark from the onset and reminded me so much of the previous book in this series that I found it difficult to stay interested, even tho the subject matter itself is very interesting to me.
Sandy
Feb 26, 2016 Sandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so very disappointed. It took me a few chapters to get into it at all; then, when I finally decide this is getting interesting, the reason for it all comes to light. And it's a horrible let down.
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Burning for You (Blackwater, #1)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • Sword and Sorceress 24
  • Murder at Witches' Bluff: A Novel of Suspense and Magick
  • Beyond World's End (Bedlam's Bard, #4)
  • Spiritwalk
  • This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes and Sizes
  • The Book of Andre Norton
  • The Seven Whistlers
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • All Hallows' Eve
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Anointed
  • Mountain Magic
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Light (4 books)
  • Ghostlight (Light, #1)
  • Gravelight (Light, #3)
  • Heartlight (Light, #4)

“Even in her mind the words had the forlorn gallantry of someone whistling in the dark.” 3 likes