The River Cottage Family Cookbook

The River Cottage Family Cookbook

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  19 reviews
'A counter-top bible, designed for the whole family ... crammed with delicious, child-friendly recipes, simply and clearly explained' The Sunday Times
Hardcover
Published October 10th 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The River Cottage Family Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Cottage Family Cookbook

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanEating Animals by Jonathan Safran FoerAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Food Politics
29th out of 61 books — 40 voters
River Cottage Veg Every Day! by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThree Good Things by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallGlobal Vegetarian Cooking by Troth WellsRiver Cottage Every Day by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe River Cottage Year by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Kitchen essentials
17th out of 31 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Beautifully photographed, this is very beginner-foodie friendly. It's great if you're looking for information to share with older kids, who may be curious about where their food comes from. The recipes are pretty simple, comfort-food oriented and very family-friendly. At least half this book is information about food, rather than recipes, so it's more of a general reference than just a cookbook.

A good choice for families; a little preachy in places but interesting to check out.
Anne
I suppose I should not have given this 5 stars since I haven't actually cooked anything from it...but I LOVE it anyway! Lovely photos. Lots of scientific and social studies info about food and food history. Lots on Shrove Tuesday and pancakes. And the tone of the writing makes me wish I had written it...it says much of what I would want to say to kids about how to cook, and why to cook, and where food comes from.
Betty
Cute little book - has all the basics! Good for a busy family looking for simple dinners, snacks or sweet treats. Nothing too fancy or difficult but excellent instructions and illustrations. It has good background to each section and its ingredients which the kids love! The chocolate chip cookies are a dream! Definitely a family essential in my house!
Dayna
Wow did I luck out!! Found this for $6 at a local discount store. This is a delightful family cook book. Full of all kinds of kitchen projects as well as the hows and whys of kitchen science. The organization of the book is smart. I will be sure to have this one for years to come. We will certainly be making more butter, homemade sausage, and jellies.
I passed on this book the first five times I perused it. Now that the garden is coming in, I'm more inspired by it. Definitely a good basic book to have around for straight forward bread and pizza dough recipes. There are also some fun things I can't wait to try with the kids, like the mint candy and make your own salt.
Stephanie
Meredith
If you crossed Macaulay's "The Way things Work" with a simple but fun cookbook--that is the sort of book this is. I think this would be a great book for families with younger kids (6-12) that enjoy learning and being creative.
Julie
I really like this cookbook. The recipes are very simple, using local and seasonal ingredients. The kids really enjoyed the lentil soup and bread. They weren't as thrilled by the corn/spinach fritters, but I liked 'em!
Jaq
I loved this book - again I'm over the moon with the range of great recipes which are quick to cook, and delicious.

Hugh does not disappoint - and it's one of those cookbooks that have gone onto my to buy list!
Kelley
good one with lots and lots of info, but i only got a few recipes from it. one though is a keeper - a simple tomato salad with onions and balsamic vinegar. It went perfect with our steaks on Sunday night.
Amy
Lots of good basics as well as information about ingredients. A good book for beginners with a few recipes that encourage you try making ingredients that you normally buy such as bacon.
Jess
i recieved this as a birthday gift, and couldn't wait to dig into the recipes. the photographs, illustrations, and anecdotes make this much more than a cookbook.
Mrs.
Nice book for beginners, those without an extensive cookbook library, or those ready to make the leap into cooking without an actual recipe.
Deborah
Good for a novice cook, I gave it to my husband and he enjoyed it, but I find it much too basic for my skills.
Stephanie
Good recipes, good pictures, good intro-information in each section. What more can you ask for?
Kyle Anderson
this is a WONDERFUL cookbook I bought in Dublin published in England.. LOVE the recipes.
Probably the best cookbook purchase that I have ever made!
Meryl
Fairly basic stuff--nothing very fun or earthshaking.
Deborah
My go to cookbook - love it!
Ewa
Ewa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Catherine Noronha
Catherine Noronha marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Colette Broomhead
Colette Broomhead marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jules Brugel
Jules Brugel marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Delia's Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Real Fast Food
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • The Cook's Companion
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets
  • Modern Classics Book 1
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
  • The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
  • Bake
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a British celebrity chef, smallholder, television presenter, journalist, food writer and "real food" campaigner, known for his back-to-basics philosophy.

A talented writer, broadcaster and campaigner, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is widely known for his uncompromising commitment to seasonal, ethically produced food and has earned a huge following through his River Cott...more
More about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall...
The River Cottage Meat Book River Cottage Veg Every Day! River Cottage Every Day The River Cottage Cookbook The River Cottage Year