Start by marking “The River Cottage Family Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The River Cottage Family Cookbook

The River Cottage Family Cookbook

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  576 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Bringing the River Cottage philosophy to the whole family, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall describes the joys of cooking food together, including recipes for how to make butter from a jar of cream and how to make your own sausages.
Unknown Binding
Published October 1st 2005 by Not Avail (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The River Cottage Family Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Cottage Family Cookbook

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanEating Animals by Jonathan Safran FoerAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Food Politics
44th out of 76 books — 60 voters
River Cottage Veg Every Day! by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThree Good Things by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallThe River Cottage Year by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallGlobal Vegetarian Cooking by Troth WellsRiver Cottage Every Day by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Kitchen essentials
19th out of 38 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 01, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Beautifully photographed, this is very beginner-foodie friendly. It's great if you're looking for information to share with older kids, who may be curious about where their food comes from. The recipes are pretty simple, comfort-food oriented and very family-friendly. At least half this book is information about food, rather than recipes, so it's more of a general reference than just a cookbook.

A good choice for families; a little preachy in places but interesting to check out.
Althea Parker
Oct 13, 2014 Althea Parker rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I bought it to share the love of cooking with my children and it has taught them so much. My daughter (then aged 9) baked her first loaf of bread completely independently using this book. It explains the recipes very clearly and with great detail which is great for young or inexperienced cooks. The book now automatically opens on the drop scone page.... Need I say more :-)
Vanessa
Jan 16, 2015 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
It's a bit more of a coffee table book than a cookbook. It might be a nice book for beginners to check out of the library, but there isn't really enough useful content for it to be a good investment in money or space.
Bebedough
Jul 21, 2015 Bebedough rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I really love the whole River Cottage collection - well done from photos to full recipes with suggestions. Authentic, nothing overly done or overly tv-food-show-ified!
Just_me
Dec 07, 2015 Just_me rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-book
Another fantastic cook book. Lots of recipes to try.
Anne
Dec 29, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I should not have given this 5 stars since I haven't actually cooked anything from it...but I LOVE it anyway! Lovely photos. Lots of scientific and social studies info about food and food history. Lots on Shrove Tuesday and pancakes. And the tone of the writing makes me wish I had written it...it says much of what I would want to say to kids about how to cook, and why to cook, and where food comes from.
Betty
Nov 18, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
Cute little book - has all the basics! Good for a busy family looking for simple dinners, snacks or sweet treats. Nothing too fancy or difficult but excellent instructions and illustrations. It has good background to each section and its ingredients which the kids love! The chocolate chip cookies are a dream! Definitely a family essential in my house!
Dayna
Wow did I luck out!! Found this for $6 at a local discount store. This is a delightful family cook book. Full of all kinds of kitchen projects as well as the hows and whys of kitchen science. The organization of the book is smart. I will be sure to have this one for years to come. We will certainly be making more butter, homemade sausage, and jellies.
May 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I passed on this book the first five times I perused it. Now that the garden is coming in, I'm more inspired by it. Definitely a good basic book to have around for straight forward bread and pizza dough recipes. There are also some fun things I can't wait to try with the kids, like the mint candy and make your own salt.
Stephanie
Meredith
Aug 14, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
If you crossed Macaulay's "The Way things Work" with a simple but fun cookbook--that is the sort of book this is. I think this would be a great book for families with younger kids (6-12) that enjoy learning and being creative.
Julie
Oct 13, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this cookbook. The recipes are very simple, using local and seasonal ingredients. The kids really enjoyed the lentil soup and bread. They weren't as thrilled by the corn/spinach fritters, but I liked 'em!
Jaq
Aug 13, 2013 Jaq rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - again I'm over the moon with the range of great recipes which are quick to cook, and delicious.

Hugh does not disappoint - and it's one of those cookbooks that have gone onto my to buy list!
Kelley
Aug 04, 2009 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
good one with lots and lots of info, but i only got a few recipes from it. one though is a keeper - a simple tomato salad with onions and balsamic vinegar. It went perfect with our steaks on Sunday night.
Amy
Jun 29, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of good basics as well as information about ingredients. A good book for beginners with a few recipes that encourage you try making ingredients that you normally buy such as bacon.
Jess
Jul 25, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
i recieved this as a birthday gift, and couldn't wait to dig into the recipes. the photographs, illustrations, and anecdotes make this much more than a cookbook.
Mrs.
Jun 11, 2012 Mrs. rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Nice book for beginners, those without an extensive cookbook library, or those ready to make the leap into cooking without an actual recipe.
Deb
Aug 08, 2010 Deb rated it liked it
Good for a novice cook, I gave it to my husband and he enjoyed it, but I find it much too basic for my skills.
Stephanie
Jul 13, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good recipes, good pictures, good intro-information in each section. What more can you ask for?
Kyle Anderson
Aug 20, 2009 Kyle Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
this is a WONDERFUL cookbook I bought in Dublin published in England.. LOVE the recipes.
Pnmp44yahoo.com
lots of great basics here- the whys and why nots.
Sep 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Probably the best cookbook purchase that I have ever made!
Meryl
Dec 01, 2008 Meryl rated it it was ok
Fairly basic stuff--nothing very fun or earthshaking.
Deborah
Mar 10, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing
My go to cookbook - love it!
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Marbeth Lynch
Marbeth Lynch marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Thyme Sage
Thyme Sage marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Julians
Julians marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Delia's Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • Modern Classics Book 1
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
  • The Cook's Companion
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Jamie Does...
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a British celebrity chef, smallholder, television presenter, journalist, food writer and "real food" campaigner, known for his back-to-basics philosophy.

A talented writer, broadcaster and campaigner, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is widely known for his uncompromising commitment to seasonal, ethically produced food and has earned a huge following through his River Cott
More about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall...