Start by marking “Life & Laughing: My Story” as Want to Read:
Life & Laughing: My Story

Life & Laughing: My Story

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  6,167 Ratings  ·  440 Reviews
Michael McIntyre has become Britain’s biggest comedy star. His debut stand-up DVD was the fastest selling of all time, only to be eclipsed by his second that sold over 1.4 million copies and was the 2009 Christmas number one. He hosts his own BAFTA nominated BBC1 series, Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, and won the British Comedy Award for Best Live Stand-up in 2009 fol ...more
Published 2010 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Life & Laughing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life & Laughing

David Staniforth
Feb 01, 2017 David Staniforth rated it really liked it
I have always given autobiographies a wide birth. With no real interest in the personal lives of the rich and famous, I assumed they would be dry and boring. Well I flicked this open when shelving at the library, found a chuckle on the first page, and then discovered it was hard to put down. In some ways it read like a work of fiction and was very entertaining, often making me laugh out loud.

So, it transpires that the first autobiography I've ever read was a hit. Maybe, more than likely, it was
Caroline
A real rags to riches story concerning one of our most popular comedians – Michael McIntyre. Bombastic, gauche, upper-class-twittery, sweet, charming Michael. He is almost as good on paper as he is in the flesh.

He comes from a very eccentric family, and that in itself makes entertaining reading. Add a sprinkling of Michael’s humour and you are guffawing regularly throughout the book.

I was struck by how much of his humour seems based on his real life. So many comedians tell outrageous stories ab
Gemma (Passion for Novels)
May 12, 2011 Gemma (Passion for Novels) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys his comedy
Michael never ceases to amaze me on stage and in his book he is exactly the same! His funny attitude and character really shines through even in the difficult parts of his life. I would give this book to anyone I knew because McIntyre just makes you smile with every page turn!
Ryan
Oct 18, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
AUDIO BOOK REVIEW

Michael McIntyre is a British comedian that I love watching on TV and he has been actively performing stand-up since approximately 2006. This is his story.

This is the first AudioBook that I have ever fully listened to and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The book is read by Michael himself and I'm glad he did it, it helped me understand the story better and definitely enhance the experience for me. "Life and Laughing" is Michael's autobiography and it tells his life story from the first
C.J. Wright
Jan 08, 2017 C.J. Wright rated it it was amazing
Great autobiography. If you love Michael McIntyre, you'll love this book.
William Clay
Dec 20, 2010 William Clay rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographical
I like Michael McIntyre. I think he's one of the best comics around at the moment. And this book is extremely well written and put together. The beginning and end link very well. And it's actually quite fascinating to see how quickly he became so incredibly successful. A very interesting book about the life of a comic and how much they can struggle.

However, I was a bit disappointed. I will admit there are some great laughs in this book.
But the first quarter is basically about his parents when h
Sophie
Dec 27, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it
Overall this was a nice easy read. I was actually quite surprised to find out about McIntyre's family life, it would have made a great sitcom I'm sure!I assumed from his squeaky clean demeanour that he came from a perfect family life so I was taken aback by how eccentric and dysfunctional his family are. The book managed to be both funny and heart-warming in parts and if you are a fan of his then you are sure to enjoy reading "Life and Laughing". I loved the way he spoke about his parents, his f ...more
Katie Sheldrake
Jul 17, 2012 Katie Sheldrake rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. It is a gripping story of the struggle to success, which I found difficult to put down.

The tone suits Michael's voice down TO A TEE! Stupidly, some of the sentences had me bobbing my head along in a McIntyre-esque style, as if delivering a punch line.

He also writes characters with bags energy and life, which is something I really appreciate in a biography. It is not self-centric at all. His grandmother is one of the best characters I have read in a biography … ever. She
Danielle
Jul 20, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Micheal Mcintyre fans, comedy fans and everyone in general
Shelves: favourites
ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT.

I dont know what my favourite parts are because there are so many hilarious and wonderful moments!

It's just brilliant, witty, very interesting, written perfectly.
I recommend it to everyone (Except young children).

Wonderful read!
The pictures are brilliant and captions hilarious as expected.
Amanda
Aug 24, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Made me laugh out loud whilst negotiating the M25.
Soph Goodswin
Apr 21, 2014 Soph Goodswin rated it it was amazing
amazing, I laughed I cried Just a great book x
LitAddictedBrit
I'm a huge fan of Michael McIntyre as a comedian; I adore his stand-up and it always seems to make me laugh no matter how many times I've seen it! But, going into reading this, I was trying to balance that against my innate dislike of autobiographies. That's unfair, actually. Make that my innate dislike of modern autobiographies by celebrities. I've never read one and would still maintain that it isn't a habit. I wanted something funny to read; I know I find Michael McIntyre funny SO I spotted t ...more
Carry
Jun 17, 2011 Carry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
basically, i picked this book up in a service station to entertain me on the 2 hours journey i had left between scotch corner and grimsby. it served it's purpose. it's a really insightful book, despite at the beginning worrying me that it probably wouldn't be that informative. it wasn't as funny as i'd expected, but obviously his life isn't ACTUALLY a complete joke all the time, and at points it almost brought me to tears. i really enjoyed it though, and advise it to anyone that's a fan, and per ...more
Abi Lowe
Aug 10, 2011 Abi Lowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a fan of Michael McIntyre when I first heard him (on Mock the Week) but as I watched some of his own shows like 'Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow', I began to see why everyone found him hilarious. I thought it would be a good thing to read his autobiography for curiosity more than anything. I am so glad I bought this book as it is such an easy read and I have been reading it for the past 2 months or so as just small bits at a time for some light reading. It had me laughing from the fi ...more
charlottebibliophile
Jul 11, 2015 charlottebibliophile rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
'Life and Laughing' is a memoir written by comedy star Michael McIntyre, which reflects on his life from birth to his rise to fame, and everything in between. It incorporates amusing anecdotes from Michael's life, and how he discovered he wanted to be a comedian. As well as the humour, the autobiography also tells of dark times in Michael's life, particularly with reference to the sudden death of his father.
This book is very funny - I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Michael himself, so I
Erik Rådbo
Jun 25, 2015 Erik Rådbo rated it it was amazing
This is just good fun. It's also an easy start into the world of biographies, which was good since I personally hadn't read that many. Its a nice reminder of how success just doesn't come as quick as you would expect, and not as depicted in most fictional books and movies. This is a great example of how hard work and strong will really is needed all the way through, and how talent - although important - is secondary to persistence.

I laughed out loud so many times that my girlfriend now demanded
Lynda
4.5 stars for me.

I listened to this book while recovering from a vitrectomy and it felt so good to laugh along with Michael and have my mind taken off my recovery process.

Having Michael read his autobiography was excellent and indeed touching. It was good to hear about his early years as well as the hard work he has put in to be the great entertainer that he is today. It was particularly interesting to learn how the confident Michael we see on stage is in fact quite an anxious and insecure perso
Stacey
Feb 08, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable book, I struggled to put it down! I always found Michael McIntyre to be a really talented comedian and found myself really moved by his autobiography. He chronologically writes about significant experiences in a really interesting and often humorous way, I found myself laughing and crying during this book and it's given me huge insight into life behind the glamour of a comedian. I'll never watch his shows in the same way again! Would definitely recommend.
Elizabeth Harrison
Mar 06, 2014 Elizabeth Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiographies
Michael McIntyre is one of my most favourite comedians. A story of rags to riches, you learn all about how the funny man became so popular. The book had me in stitches and the pictures were a particular favourite.

He discusses his children Lucas & Oscar and how he met and fell in love with his wife Kitty, he also discusses how he never actually finished university - or rather doesnt remember what course he was studying nor if he finished.

This book is laugh out loud from start to finish.
Sian
Oct 28, 2016 Sian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
A genuinely funny insight into the life of one of Britain's best comedians. Michael Mcintyre's life was full of stardom but it wasn't easy, and in this autobiography he tells of the hardships and struggles he went through to become a comedian and find the woman of his dreams. But at the same time, this book is full of anecdotes and pictures that that make you laugh out loud.
Jan 01, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Writing a review of someone's autobiography feels really weird - like saying 'yes, I liked this; your life was averagely interesting to me'. Basically, I thought this was a very entertaining read and a lot of fun. Also, the observations on public schools were scarily accurate.
ZZ
Sep 01, 2014 ZZ rated it really liked it
It's so interesting to read the story of how this very talented guy. I had no idea about his background, his struggles, the details of his earlier life. I was always enjoying his stand-up material and I always laugh hard and loud at his jokes.
So, overall a very very good read.
Audrey
Feb 15, 2015 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I am so glad I got the book on cd edition of Michael McIntyre's memoir, he is a hilarious comedian and his book is just so full of funny stories of his childhood and he became the famous British funnyman he is today.
Daniel Woodfield
Oct 26, 2016 Daniel Woodfield rated it really liked it
An engaging and heartfelt read. It was a shame his career was largely squished in the last 50 pages or so (I imagine so later biographies could appear, and to cash in on his newfound success) but the book is a joy to read regardless.
Sarah-egan Pentland
May 23, 2016 Sarah-egan Pentland rated it liked it
It was interesting to read about his life. I think he's a great comedian, perhaps not such a great writer though.
Charlene Quinn
Oct 19, 2015 Charlene Quinn rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I have ever read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a good giggle.
Ellie
Aug 17, 2013 Ellie rated it really liked it
One of my favourite comedians, this book had me laughing out loud when I was reading it which made me look a bit odd since I was on a plane at the time.
Really enjoyable quick read
linah
Aug 23, 2011 linah rated it it was amazing
i never though that someone as talented as Michael McIntyre have struggled at the beginning that hard, he is great! this book was like his author funny . it was enjoyable and exciting .
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Jan 29, 2017 Melanie Cusick-Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, library-picks
This the second autobiography of a comedian I've read recently and I enjoyed it even more than the first. If Graham Norton was the comedian I grew up with mainly through my late teens and early twenties with doggy-phone and So Graham Norton, Michael McIntyre is the one I've watched most recently over the last few years (this book is several years old now and takes you to the point where he began appearing on TV a lot).

Like Graham Norton's book, I read 'Life and Laughing' in Michael's voice - so
Stephanie
Michael McIntyre is a household name in UK comedy, featuring on TV and selling out arena tours. His autobiography tells of how his success didn't come easy, and how his hard work and some amount of luck got him to the top.

The book goes through his early life, school, work, relationships (or lack thereof), his discovery of stand-up and his struggles to be recognised. I listened to the audiobook version, narrated by McIntyre himself, and it really brought it to life with voices and pacing. It sou
  • The Life of Lee
  • It's Not What You Think
  • On the Edge
  • Look Back in Hunger
  • Thanks for Nothing
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
  • At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints
  • That's Another Story: The Autobiography
  • My Shit Life So Far
  • Camp David
  • Tickling the English
  • Dear Fatty
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
More about Michael McIntyre...