Start by marking “Pocket Guide to the Bible: A Little Book about the Big Book” as Want to Read:
Pocket Guide to the Bible: A Little Book about the Big Book

Pocket Guide to the Bible: A Little Book about the Big Book

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A Little Book About the Big Book

An new guide to the original good book, focusing on thefascinating, touching, off-beat, unusual, and the downright bizarreaspects of the Bible.

Jason Boyett (Amarillo, TX) is a former copywriter and creativedirector in the advertising/marketing industry whose work regularlyappears in publications like Relevant magazine, Christian Single, and
Published June 29th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket Guide to the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket Guide to the Bible

Seth Comfort
I finished reading The Pocket Guide to the Bible by Jason Boyett and what a fun book to read. It is about the Bible and I did learn a few new fun facts. It was clear that Jason Boyett did a lot of research in order to pack this book full with so much information.

It starts off with chapter one: Biblicabulary - "A glossary of the Good Book"
Chap 2: Cast of Characters (A to J) - He gives us the major player of the Bible, plus some of the strange minor ones too.
Chap 3: Cast of Characters (K to Z) -
Aug 01, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julie
It was fun to read this reference to the bible, old and new testament. I got it from the library, but I'm thinking about buying it. The author has a way of writing in modern jargon without being at all disrespectful or critical of the message of the bible. He gives a who's who, a what happens part 1 and 2 (old and new testaments), a history of the development of the bible as we know it, and finally what he calls flotsam and jetsam. (For instance, twelve biblical names that are still popular toda ...more
Brandy Shark
The day I found this book at Barnes and Noble, I was thinking to myself: I wish I understood the Bible better.

The Pocket Guide is just that. It's a clear and concise look at the Bible. Descriptions of several of the major figures of the Bible, and what I liked best, summaries of each book of the Bible. It's unbiased and just gives you the facts of each book, along with a little dab of humor.

Of course, this isn't a deep and expansive view on the Bible, but it's certainly a great place to start i
Chad
I really enjoyed this summary report on the Bible. Mr. Boyett tried to keep it light hearted and some of the humor was a little too much, but all in all it was nice read. I will use it as a reference in the future and it is a good way to start kids and others not familar with the Good Book as to what to expect.
Adam Lockhart
Hilariously snarky. It is a great blend of humor and fact that makes for a quick, easy read. While it doesn't pretend to be a "take itself seriously" presentation of theology, etc., it will likely at least teach you one or two things you may not have previously known about the Bible.
Squirrely G
Friggin' hilarious at-a-glance guide to all sorts of info about the Bible. Who's who, statistics, Old Testament in a nutshell, etc. NOT for the easily offended - openmindedness a definite plus!
Dana
May 03, 2010 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to read.
Recommended to Dana by: My Husband.
Shelves: christian
Handy little reference book about the Bible. My husband and I literally laughed out loud when we were reading it (the author is HILARIOUS)...and we learned a few things as well.
Denise
Mar 26, 2010 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in learning more about the Bible, minus the preaching
Really a funny little book. A great way to read non-fiction. I've since ordered two more of Boyett's pocket guides because this one was such a treat.
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with any interest at all in the Bible/People who like funny books.
It's a quick, hilarious run through the Bible. It has all sorts of information, including the characters, the books and the formation of the Bible.
Andrea
A non-threatening intro for those who have never dared read the bible, and a lot of laughs for those who have. Quirky. Entertaining.
Esther Daang
Esther Daang marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Anw
Anw marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Oct 07, 2013
Cara Meredith
Cara Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Daniel
Daniel added it
Jul 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse: The Official Field Manual for the End of the World Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: Heaven, Hell, and Other Ultimate Destinations Pocket Guide to Adulthood: 29 Things to Know Before You Hit 30 Things You Should Know by Now: A Mini Life Manual for the Quarterly Aged