Start by marking “The Zeroes” as Want to Read:
The Zeroes

The Zeroes

An insider’s memoir of how Wall Street went insane with greed — and took the rest of us down with it

Randall Lane never set out to become a Wall Street power broker. But during the decade he calls the Zeroes, he founded a series of magazines for business high-flyers, exalting their lifestyle and enticing them to splurge on luxury brands from Maybach to Bulgari. When the cra
Published September 27th 2010 by Scribe Publications (first published June 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Zeroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zeroes

Daniel
Jan 20, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've become a junkie for all the books about the recent economic crisis. For one reason, I think it largely defines (along with the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan) the great narrative of the new millennium. Secondly, I happened to be in New York at the time of the great struggles on Wall Street in 2008 and 2009 with a window seat to many of the issues that came out of that period. For instance, I remember the dollar bills taped to the doors of the Bear Stearns building on Madison Avenue as I passed th ...more
Rob Eelkema
Sep 04, 2010 Rob Eelkema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great review of the 2008-2009 financial implosion and the events that triggered it. Excess big time. Great book from the publisher of Trader Monthly.....loved the insight to the Wall Street mentality and the amount of money made by some of the traders was absolutely insane....$4 billion in one year by John Paulson.....many traders not even 27 years old making $100 million or more in one year and they do it again the next. Just amazing but it came crashing down and most didn't have much ...more
Sandy
Fascinating book. Some of the excesses detailed (like the $175 hamburger or the $1000 frittata) were jaw droppers - it's really hard to even imagine making and spending as much money as many of the traders discussed in this book.

I did find that I walked away with a better understanding of what was going on in the financial markets during the decade and how all the old investment rules were thrown out the window, as it became one big casino.
It all made more sense, when told in specific dealings w
Donna Rochow - Poljarevic
Nov 10, 2010 Donna Rochow - Poljarevic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: own
Randall Lane does not make any excuses for the decade he calls The Zeroes. This is not the kind of book that i would normally pick up, I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, and thought well i had better give it a read and i'm so glad i did. Because this book is so different to the genre i normally read i thought i would give it a minimum of an hours reading before i gave up on it. But an hour came and went before i realized i was really enjoying the story so much that it o ...more
Katie
Sep 22, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Rob Eelkema
I liked the topic but gave it three stars because of the wall street/trader/etc. lingo that I couldn't keep up with. Felt like the author needed to take a breath! (Lots of run on paragraphs...)

But...a good read in that the events that happened were very recent and topical. Amazed at the Wall Street greed, ego, competition, etc. (even AFTER the bailouts). Interesting story just didn't like his writing style.
Anthony
Nov 07, 2010 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decently written narrative about the continued struggle to keep Doubledown Media, publishers of Trader Monthly, Private Air and like, afloat from 2001 through 2009. In between, there's some interesting stories about two of my favorite quasi-Wall Street characters, Tim Sykes and Lenny Dykstra. Not a must read, but a "can read" for anyone interested in publishing, the magazine industry or Wall Street in general.
Dec 02, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, it was extremely dense reading so it took me a while to get through. At first I was fascinated, but it soon turned into a laundry list of all the amenities that bankers/hedgies had. Furthermore, the end of the book seemed more intent on the author's own agenda (e.g., calling out those who had wronged him) rather than telling the true story of the decade. However, it did teach me a lot more about the hedge fund industry as a whole, and I appreciated that.
Peter Knox
[kindle edition:]

Really enjoyed this book, as it encompasses the Zeros as experienced by the writer, who lived the bubble till it burst. Loved the first person personal touch in a way that other books on the subject usually lack. Well written detailed page flipping read I'd suggest to anyone interested in the bank bust, magazine publishing, and a look inside the luxury life unobtainable to most.
Rena
Oct 30, 2010 Rena rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in the first-read giveaway...

I gave this a 3 star because of the nature of the topic, which I don't quite get and it took me a while to get through the whole thing. But by the end of it, the author manage to weave a story-like tale of his adventure through the Zeroes which made it much more bearable.
Patti Koning
Interesting look at the last decade from someone who was very close to Wall Street. I got tired of hearing about how rich all of the traders are, the author's own arrogance, and the way he lambasted many people in the book (Lenny Dykstra and Peter Max, to name a few). They may have deserved it but man, this guy is vicious.
Stephen Brownell
An entertaining read and perspective on the insanity of Wall Street in between 2000-2010. It was well written, though at times it feels like the author had too much joy from insulting those who had wronged him and just wanted a forum to publicly humiliate them.
Similar to "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis, though that book is better than this which is more entertainment than educational.
Kevin
Nov 06, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow start but gets pretty good. It does a really good job of chronicling the wallstreet attitudes from 2000-2010. The characters the author come into contact with are interesting but just as important they are real. In many cases through out this book truth is stranger than fiction.
Gary Baughn
Dec 26, 2012 Gary Baughn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A glimpse into the high-flying ways of the punks of high finance.
Some of the reasons all of our homes have lost value.
Tom Armstrong
Jun 11, 2011 Tom Armstrong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This came very close to getting 5 stars. A really interesting look at Wall St, The luxury Publishing Industry, and trying to run a start up when the financial world went to hell..
Paul W
Jan 17, 2016 Paul W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, finance
A sobering tale of the debt-fuelled conspicuous consumption of Wall St in the first decade.
Mike Graber
Jun 28, 2010 Mike Graber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting view from someone who had a backstage pass to the decadence of wall street without actually being part of the club.
Manny Tzavlakis
Apr 07, 2015 Manny Tzavlakis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this. Have been a fan of Randall since he put out POV magazine. Great story, hard to put down.
Ken Megale
Wildly and laughably entertaining...and sincerely insightful. Ken Megale
Tyler Nals
May 19, 2015 Tyler Nals rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. And I find myself witnessing a similar situation.
Proskurin Sergei
Proskurin Sergei rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Tan Tze Hon
Tan Tze Hon rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
Dave Ring
Dave Ring rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2017
John
John rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Yumikate
Yumikate rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
MICHAEL J
MICHAEL J rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane
  • Street Fighters: The Last 72 Hours of Bear Stearns, the Toughest Firm on Wall Street
  • Twelve Fair Kingdoms
  • The Invisible Hands: Hedge Funds Off the Record - Rethinking Real Money
  • Packing the Court: The Rise of Judicial Power and the Coming Crisis of the Supreme Court
  • Adam Smith: An Enlightened Life
  • Between Debt and the Devil: Money, Credit, and Fixing Global Finance
  • The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law
  • Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street
  • The Devil's Casino: Friendship, Betrayal, and the High Stakes Games Played Inside Lehman Brothers
  • Bailout Nation: How Greed and Easy Money Corrupted Wall Street and Shook the World Economy
  • Hedgehogging
  • Maestro: Greenspan's Fed and the American Boom
  • Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers
  • The New Geography of Jobs
  • Miami Babylon: Crime, Wealth, and Power--A Dispatch from the Beach
  • Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy
  • The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Will Cause the Next Great Credit Crisis