Start by marking “Home/Birth: A Poemic” as Want to Read:
Home/Birth: A Poemic

Home/Birth: A Poemic

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A lyric essay & total collaboration of extraordinary & shocking beauty, this hybrid text troubles the waters of genre, gender, motherhood, and the politics & poetics of birthing. An exacting and honest conversation between two of our most interesting writers and our most dedicated activists.
Published December 1st 2010 by 1913 Press

To ask other readers questions about Home/Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home/Birth

Melissa
Aug 29, 2014 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: Blue
I loved this book. As soon as I got it from the library, I started reading it and didn't put it down for a couple of hours, reading almost all of it, skipping to the end, crying a little. It's really an incredible document of an honest, powerful, beautiful conversation between these two women. I've read over half a dozen books about birth, and none like this. My only critique is that some of the lyric poem fragments separating the sections just aren't that good.

I could excerpt from anywhere real
Mia
I have many thoughts about this book, most of which I just want to tell to one particular friend. I loved reading it. It's momentous! I found the telling of the homebirth of Day, a stillborn child, to be profoundly moving, and deeply encouraging. What solace and wisdom and (somehow!) goodness, there. There is a need for a movement toward dying at home, of course. Hospice began that return.

Other thoughts, which I will ask said friend, will be about these things: Do true radicals call themselves r
missy ward-lambert
This "poemic" is cerebral and visceral, painful and beautiful, triggering and illuminating. Kind of like birth.
Megan
Amazing...I put this book down stunned by the presence and vulnerability of these two authors in this text.
Matthew Salesses

Would be useful if you are thinking about a home birth.
Patricia
The advocacy in this book is powerful because the imagery is vivid and honest. Because Zucker and Greenberg are poets, they know how to make words paint a vivid picture and they never shy away from telling the truth as they know it. I can't imagine any women of childbearing age, reading this book and not recognizing the home birth is the best option.

My guess is that I'm the same age as their mothers and they are the age of my daughter and daughters-in-law so I've witnessed the much of the histo
Lisa M.
I saw Greenburg and Zucker read at the 2011 AWP. It was at a workshop that considered the idea of poetic collaboration. Honestly, I remember the other performances more. But the reading inspired me enough to buy this book, which was popular with the literary crowds that year. I attempted reading this shortly after I got home, but I was too busy with my thesis and personal life to get into it. This book is not for people who have issues with control. Originally, I had difficult reading this. This ...more
I read this book in two days. If I didn't already have a toddler, it would have been one. Lots of good stuff about the fucked up maternity care system in America. Good arguments for home birth and doulas and midwives. Scary statistics about c-sections and unnecessary interventions. It was like reading a conversation about The Business of Being Born.

And holy cow did I cry at the end. Spoiler alert! The Maine home birth ends in stillbirth. Not the thing to read while pregnant and hormonal. And I
Literary Mama
Feb 25, 2012 Literary Mama added it
Shelves: memoir
Home/Birth, affirms a birthing woman's individual knowing, and the right to birth where she feels safest and most empowered. Arielle Greenberg and Rachel Zucker are friends, established poets, and mothers with a variety of birthing experience. Home/Birth is a call and response that weaves together threads of conversation: birth stories (their own and others); legalities and politics; bumper stickers and slogans; humor; sadness; anger; and joy.
Read Literary Mama's full review of Home/Birth here:
Margaret Adams
This book read like a transcript of a conversation between two women--prose-poems of late-night emails back and forth, maybe, but with the to's and from's and date-stamp's deleted. I loved it for the structure of the writing as much as for the content. You don't necessarily have to be a birth junkie AND an unusual-narrative-structure junkie to love this book, but you probably ought to be one or the other.
Summer Thorp-lancaster
I loved this book. Raw, juicy and true. It was like reading some of the many conversations I've had with my best friend over the years. I deeply appreciate the inclusion of Day's stillbirth, although I imagine it was horrifyingly difficult to write/include.
Laurel
I'm still processing this book, and not ready to review, but it knocked me off my feet. I cried, reading it. I ate it in one sitting.
Jai Danielle
"There's a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong."
Khadijah
Wrenching and skilled collaborative work. A must-read.
Cari
Cari marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Kirsten Eisele
Kirsten Eisele marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Netcaterpila
Netcaterpila marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
levi young ringener
levi young ringener marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Tamanna Sohal
Tamanna Sohal marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Arielle Greenberg is the author of My Kafka Century (Action Books, 2005) and Given (Verse Press, 2002), along with the chapbooks Shake Her (Dusie Kollektiv, edited and made by Jen Hofer, 2009) and Farther Down: Songs from the Allergy Trials (New Michigan Press, 2003). Her poems have appeared in journals including the American Poetry Review, Denver Quarterly, Black Warrior Review, Crazyhorse and Am ...more
More about Arielle Greenberg...
Given My Kafka Century Women Poets on Mentorship: Efforts and Affections Shake Her Fa(r)ther Down: Songs from the Allergy Trials

“What's most aggravating is feeling like I'm a radical for saying something so commonsense.” 2 likes