The Day of Small Things (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #5)

The Day of Small Things (Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A night of reckoning . . .
A dawn of danger . . .

In the misty folds of Appalachia, the girl they call Least grows up cursed by her mother’s cruelty and blessed by her neglect. Deemed unfit to join the outside world, Least turns to the wisdom of the land, to voices she alone can hear, to legends left by native Indians, and to the arts of pination and healing.

But the time com...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Day of Small Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day of Small Things

Lisa
In the past, I have thought of Vicki Lane as Sharyn McCrumb's ugly Appalachian step-sister. Good, but not in the superlative class of McCrumb. With this book, while I didn't completely change my mind, Lane edged a LOT closer.

I have enjoyed the Elizabeth Goodweather mysteries -- why not? After all, we share a great deal: fifty-ish ladies with grown children, interested in neighbors, dogs, herbs, gardening, and nature. With the last book In a Dark Season, Lane began adding in the historical under...more
Carolyn Hill
Sometimes a minor character insists upon having her own story told. This is what happened to Vicki Lane with her Elizabeth Goodweather mysteries when the character of Birdie interrupted the series with her own tale. Born in Dark Holler in 1922 and named Least by a mother grieving the loss of her husband and son, she grows up neglected and wild, finding comfort in the "Little Things" in the bushes and talking to the "Quiet People" in the graveyard. By all accounts, Least is "quare" and her mother...more
Zanib  Sajjad
I really don't know what to say about this book. *SIGHS*
Ok so lets begin.

*****************May contain SPOILERS******************

Soo, there are three POVs, yet with the same person.
Least, the little girl that starts us off, has a special tallent. She has cherokee magic (for those who do not know what that is, i suggest you stop reading. No no, just kidding, go on, uh, you might want to google 'cherokee magic)

Anyway... so she has special tallents, she can talk to little goblin thingies (sorry abou...more
Nikki
Like those of Sharyn McCrumb, Deborah Grabien, Phillip DePoy and Erin Hart, Vicki Lane's books mix folklore and old crimes with contemporary mystery. In The Day of Small Things, Lane steps aside from her Elizabeth Goodweather series to explore the history of Miss Birdie, a character who has had a part to play in some of the previous books. Birdie -- who has had several different names in her long life -- richly deserved her own book.

Readers looking for a fast-paced, thrill-a-minute story will no...more
Janet
I have to admit that I was initially disappointed when I learned that the new book would not be picking up where In a Dark Season left off, but Miss Birdie was a favorite supporting character, so I was very hopeful. Vicki Lane has again written a moving and compelling story set in Appalachia with all its mystery, mythology, and magic.

This is the story of Least and what she would become. From her early life as the unloved "Least", she learns to listen to the voices around her and with her Granny...more
Sheila Beaumont
What a lovely, magical book! At first I was taken aback when I found out that this fifth suspense novel by Vicki Lane was not to be another in the Elizabeth Goodweather series (especially since the fourth book, In a Dark Season, ended in something of a cliff-hanger), but instead would center on one of the supporting characters, Miss Birdie.

As it turned out, I loved this tale, in which the reader comes to know an Appalachia in which the characters are not the usual stereotypes, but real, human ch...more
Cheryl
Once again, Vicki Lane writes another magical tale - this one about Miss Birdie's life. Part of what I love about these is the location, because I was lucky enough in my youth to spend some time in that area and a favorite relative has a cabin there now. So, my point being, that "place" is as much of a character in Ms. Lane's stories, as the humans. To me, one of the signs of a good novel is that -- the author's ability to combine human character & plot with place, telling a well-rounded and...more
Joanny
Vicki Lane is a versatile writer, she researched thoroughly her topic of choice. I believe every one has a purpose and some folks are more in tune then others, and Ms Lane certainly has that keen understanding of the people and the place of Appalachia - and in general folklore. Her style of write will engage you from the beginning to the end, no wasted words, or caught up in the details, that nebulous area for some writers -- but said in a very highly descriptive form --. This book can almost be...more
Tommie Lyn
I gave this book 5 stars only because there's not a 6 star option.

Vicki Lane accurately captured the culture, the place, the people of the mountains where I grew up. Even though much of the book was set during my grandparents'/parents' era, there was such an authenticity to the speech, the habits and attitudes of the characters...I was mesmerized. And I felt like I'd come home.

It was such a delight discovering Vicki Lane and I'm looking forward to reading her other works.

Namedoris Powell
I always enjoy reading Vicki Lane. I love her backdrop of the North Carolina Mountains. This book featured Birdie Gentry. She has been a supporting character in Vicki Lane's previous books. That is why it helped a little bit to have read her previous books. The book kept me interested throughout. I always wondered what happened to Least's mother throughout the book. On the very last page the author told what had happened to her,
Caroline
This is a Vicki Lane book that is about Miss Birdie from the Elizabeth Goodweather series. It was good but I'm wanting to read more about Elizabeth soon. Miss Birdie had a very compelling life story though! As with all of Vicki's books, it was extremely well-written and fascinating with information about life in the Carolina mountains.
Cranbery
I liked this book, but not as much as the first ones she wrote. Hope she goes back to the original story line next book!

Vicki is a wonderful author ............everyone should read "Signs In The Blood" as a start to her series!
Gypsie Holley
Wow, this takes me back to days gone. This whole book reads seriously hillbilly country and I totally understood all of it! I really loved it and it's not something I had read anything like before. I know who to recommend this too!
Nancy Martin
Once in a while I am fortunate enough to find a novel that will stay with me forever...& this one joins that select group. Birdie's story is poignant, magical, evocative, tragic & yet hopeful. A lovely story, wonderfully written.
Kathy
I really enjoyed this one, lots of interesting characters and fast-paced. In it, the mother names her youngest child "Least" because she knew she'd always be the least one. Sounds like stories my grandmother used to tell.
Beth Lias
This book is not actually an Elizabeth Goodweather mystery; instead it gives the background of Miss Birdie, Elizabeth's elderly neighbor and friend. This was my favorite book of Vicki Lane's that I have read so far.
Debsbooks
If you enjoy reading about Appalachia, folklore, superstition and the mountains, within the mystery, Vicki Lane is the author for you. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of her books but I was drawn within on this one.
Ronda Simons
This book just draws you in from page one. You will love Least and Birdie and you feel like you know them but the ending was definitely a good surprise. Great read and would recommend to all.
Christine
This book was a pleasant surprise. I downloaded it from the library having never heard of the author. A bit like some of my other favorite authors - Lee Smith, Sharon McCrumb.
Robynn Merkel
I tend to read several books at a time but I have set aside all others until this one is finished.
I am enjoying this book so very much.
Nancy
I love these lyrical, magical appalachian stories. Lane evokes the mood and senses of the mountains beautifully in her story of Leaf.
Pamela Beason
I always enjoy the characters and settings in Lane's books, but this one felt kind of like two different books stuck together.
Kelly
Miss Birdie's story. Wonderful, lyrical writing with a mystery too. Vicki Lane's best -- so far.
Anthrodiva Stommen
I think I finished it, but I cannot remember the ending. Did not 'wow' me.
Kitsey
Unbelievable story of magic and overcoming childhood trauma.
Teresa
I hate that she gave Ms. Birdie such a painful history.
Pat
Loved it! Probably a 4 and a half star book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Vicki Lane is the author of THE DAY OF SMALL THINGS and of the Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mysteries from Bantam Dell:IN A DARK SEASON, OLD WOUNDS, ART'S BLOOD,SIGNS IN THE BLOOD. Vicki and her family have lived in western North Carolina on a mountain farm since 1975.

For lots more info, go to http://vickilanemysteries.com or check Vicki's blog http://vickilanemysteries.blogspot.com
More about Vicki Lane...
Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1) Art's Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2) Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3) In a Dark Season (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #4) Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)

“I remember something that my granny told me once about these misty mountains of ours they call the Smokies. Granny said God hung that haze on purpose, to hide these hills from the folks up in Heaven who was raised here, so they wouldn't look down and be homesick.” 3 likes
“He finally got off the chain that was in his head: do you see that, honey? The chain in his head was stronger than the one you undid every night. You remember that, now. It ain't only dogs that is on chains.” 2 likes