Start by marking “Why Do Fools Fall In Love: A Realist's Guide to Romance” as Want to Read:
Why Do Fools Fall In Love: A Realist's Guide to Romance

Why Do Fools Fall In Love: A Realist's Guide to Romance

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Falling in love is a complicated, messy, mad endeavor — and staying in love is even worse. But while bitter experience and brutal statistics may tell us that it will probably all end in tears, we still continue to believe in and pursue romance, even if it means losing sleep, friends, or sanity in the process. In this nimble and original exploration of love’s hidden motivat ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Tin House Books

To ask other readers questions about Why Do Fools Fall In Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do Fools Fall In Love

Hira
In her "self-help" book, "Why Do Fools Fall In Love: A Realist's Guide to Romance", Anouchka Grose employs wit, charm, and a fairly comical outlook to aid the reader in his/her search for love and romance in our complicated world.

The author implements various theories into her prose, taking history and mythological characters as examples, taking some difficult subject matter and elaborates on them with relative ease. Instead of being verbose, or even condescending, Grose is empathetic and endea
Doreen
I very much wanted to give this book 5 stars, as the first few chapters are excellent. It does seem as if she loses steam towards the end, but the book, overall, is a charming, witty exploration of romance and the search for love. Many of her theories make sense, and it's refreshing to see someone not only defend but elaborate on Freud's ground-breaking work.

Most of what I love about the first few chapters is that she takes some fairly complex theories and relates them not only to examples with
Des
Full disclosure: free copy received for review via Goodreads.

A clever book written the inconsistencies and paradoxes of love and life.

Never once does this author point at these inconsistencies or doubts as if they were failings. On the contrary, she shows us how to look in the mirror without being too critical, how to look past the mess and shame to see the intriguing nature of humanity and its endless search for love, and security. It is a bridge between what the clever academics think and that
Lolly LKH
I won this on GOODREADS and it took forever to get to me in Okinawa, as I had it sent to my family in the USA in order to win it! AH the life of a military spouse.
I am not sure why it's a 'Self-help' but I enjoyed it. I did a lot of agreeing and groaning and laughing. I thought- 'My God, is love really this ridiculous' and yes, it is. And yet, we do everything to attain it, don't we? And then take it for granted, abuse it, get sick of it, worship it, placate it... well... That said, it's a fun a
Sharla
I wanted to like this book, because the title alone really felt like it would be right up my alley. However, as I got into it, it just didn't flow easily for me, and I found it a bit laborious to read through; I kept losing interest. There were good and interesting segments speckled in the first 100 pages I read, but I decided not to keep reading because the "meh" factor just kept persevering.

Valerie
I won this on Goodreads (yay!) and really enjoyed it. I do agree with the others who posted that the book slowed down after awhile. The info and insights are great, but after awhile this book started to feel a bit dry.
Ishanie
Thank you goodreads for this selection! I will update my review when I'm done reading! Thanks again!

**UPDATE**

Very interesting theories and explorations on why people tend to fall in love. I really enjoyed it.
Jackie Kristensen
I feel like this book made a whole lot of sense as I was reading it, but the second I put it down I forgot what it was about. It wasn't memorable for me. It was just okay.
Cheryl
Feb 02, 2011 Cheryl marked it as interesting-possibilities
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads
Shelves: romance, fiction
Nonfiction "In this nimble and original exploration of love's hidden motivations and manifestations, Anouchka Grose tries to get to the heart of its hold over us."
Anastasia
Nice book, a little bit depressing at the beginning but nonetheless very interesting with witty comments.
Melissa
A funny and realistic look at love. A good cure for a broken heart.
Hannah Adams
Loved this book
Shaira Javellana
Shaira Javellana marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Dorita Herrarte
Dorita Herrarte marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Nina Doering
Nina Doering marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Tracy Q.
Tracy Q. marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Julia Largent
Julia Largent is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
Raechele Leone
Raechele Leone marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Uma
Uma added it
Apr 04, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Greg K
Greg K marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Zuzanna Gwadera
Zuzanna Gwadera marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Love_me_back
Love_me_back marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
No More Silly Love Songs: A Realist's Guide To Romance The Teenage Vegetarian Survival Guide Are You Considering Therapy? Hair Book