Start by marking “Two Spirits: A Story of Life with the Navajo” as Want to Read:
Two Spirits: A Story of Life with the Navajo

Two Spirits: A Story of Life with the Navajo

Twenty years after publishing his groundbreaking The Spirit and the Flesh, anthropologist Walter L. Williams breaks his silence and publishes another book on Native Americans by teaming up with award-winning writer Toby Johnson. Together they have produced a work of historical fiction that is striking in its evocation of Navajo philosophy and spirituality. Set in the Civil ...more
Published June 12th 2005 by Lethe Press (first published June 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Two Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Spirits

Andune
I admit it, I've re-read this book about three or four times, and will probably do so in the future. It is a stunning story and I was fascinated by the understanding of "Two Spirit" people within the Navajo and other cultures. It is definitely a book that touched my soul. Not only is it extraordinarily well written and documented, but it has an ingenuity, an innocence if you will, that is so difficult to find in novels.

I enjoyed the use of myth, symbolism and ritual in this story, the esoterici
Cole Riann
Originally penned by Walter L. Williams as the journal entries of fictional character Will Lee, Two Spirits is the tale of one man, one two-spirit male, and the whole population of Navajo that for several years, were forced to live on the Bosque-Redondo Reservation, an “experiement” by the US Government that was essentially one of the steps in the slow genocide of the largest indigenous American tribe in history. The story follows Will Lee, the son of a Virginian preacher, who after taking fligh ...more
Gerry Burnie
Nov 28, 2010 Gerry Burnie rated it really liked it
This is a novel that admirably fits the category of ‘historical fiction’.

The history: Set in the rugged Territory of New Mexico in the 1860s, it tells the story of a tender love that blooms against a backdrop of shame, cruelty, corruption and death.

In 1864 twelve thousand Navajo (Diné) were forced to march from their homeland in Canyon de Chelly (now Nevada) to Bosque Redondo Reserve outside Fort Sumner; a distance of 325 miles in the dead of winter. More than three thousand individuals died en-
Emelie
When I read this story, I took the description of Navajo life with a grain of salt. I didn't know how much liberty the author had taken, or if the descriptions were very accurate. I had before heard about Two Spirits and that the Native American's are said to have been more accepting towards transgenders and homosexuality.

I thought the story started a little bit slow, and that it took a while to get to the more interesting part of the story. I wasn't interested in Will's life before arriving to
Ming
Nov 01, 2013 Ming rated it it was ok
The premise is intriguing and the writing is competent. But the story is simplistic and the progression of the storyline amateurish. I also felt there was too much explaining, verging on preachy. The characters are portrayed in a simplistic way, and without too much depth. As a result, their motivations and perspectives seemed flat. For instance, some older men to appear to simply leer at Will as dirty old men would, a rather boring stereotype. Other inconsistencies distracted, e.g., if Will is ...more
Lee Rowan
May 22, 2010 Lee Rowan rated it did not like it
I had looked forward to reading this book, and it was a terrific disappointment. The scholarship may have been top-notch, but academic credentials do not necessarily give a writer the chops to make a story interesting.
Elisa Rolle
When I was a teen I was deeply fascinated by the Native American culture. Two of my favorite books were Dee Brown's Buy My Heart at Wounded Knee (that I searched for a bit since when I was young the Italian version of that book was out of stock) and a book who tried to tell from a different point of view the spanish "Conquest", and for this reason the title was 2941 (1492 on the other verse). Unfortunately they were never light books, since it's not easy to write of the Native Americans and be l ...more
Sadie Henderson
Jan 07, 2016 Sadie Henderson rated it really liked it
A touching portrayal of Diné life in Fort Sumner during the 1860's. Each protagonist is distinctive in both their voice and actions, and are all equally compelling.

Native Americans (and, in fact, indigenous peoples across the globe) have suffered many a great injustice, one in particular being the silence surrounding said injustices. Was it only myself who was unaware that Fort Sumner was the American equivalent of Auschwitz? I think not.

The events surrounding this horrific place, as well as eve
Cedony
The writing was mediocre. There were quite a few typographical errors throughout the book that should have been edited out, and I just didn't find myself connecting with either of the two main characters. They weren't very memorable to me.

I found the stress on the mysticism of the Native American people to be really heavy handed and awkward, especially in a scene towards the end. I thought it was just kind of convenient prop that was used to bring the very predictable plot to conclusion.
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This was one of the finest historical fiction novels I have ever read. It had the perfect blend of historical setting and detail, but with a strong plot that included racism, corruption, and (of course) love. I would recommend it to any reader (gay, straight, trans, whatever) who loves historical fiction.
Juxian
Juxian rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Alexánder Obando
Alexánder Obando rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
tizi
tizi rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2010
Ralphe Wiggins
Ralphe Wiggins rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Hekil
Hekil rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
lauraღ
lauraღ rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2013
Lucia
Lucia rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
maia
maia rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Kim Saunders
Kim Saunders rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2016
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Andrew Foulds
Andrew Foulds rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Marcia Suiter
Marcia Suiter rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Raz
Raz rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2010
Christine Ferran
Christine Ferran rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Delilah
Delilah rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Jay Moseley
Jay Moseley rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2010
Miranda
Miranda rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • The Place where they Cried
  • Cut Hand
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)
  • Eye of the Storm (Royal Navy, #3)
  • Lover's Knots