Start by marking “Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes” as Want to Read:
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes

Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Foot pain and injuries can thwart even the most experienced athletes. Foot expert John Vonhof discredits the conventional wisdom of "no pain, no gain," teaching instead how the interplay of anatomy, biomechanics, and footwear can lead to happy or hurting feet. With a focus on individual and team care, this fifth edition covers everything that an active person needs for imm ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Wilderness Press (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fixing Your Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fixing Your Feet

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
When I first started this I thought there was far far too much focus on blisters. I'm more of a half marathoner - but am working on increasing distance. I'd never had too serious of feet problems - but had just been diagnosed with metatarsal bruising. As it turns out I fixed my metatarsal injury but that created..wait for it....BLISTERS! and Calluses. Oiy! So, as it turns out, this is a very timely book. I found lots of great information here to help me figure out what to do and what products mi ...more
Tori
Feb 12, 2014 Tori rated it really liked it
This book was long, very detailed, and repetitive. It was packed with tons of great information though. I thought I already knew quite a bit on the subject, but I was wrong. I know I will return to this again and again as a reference.
Danika
Jul 17, 2008 Danika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: athletes or anyone w/ foot problems
This book is extremely thorough. Highly recommended for any endurance athlete. He covers just about everything you could think of- from taping and blisters, to orthotics and shoe fitting. Great reference, although I sincerely hope I never have the problems he sees w/ people who really abuse their feet.
Marjorie
Oct 16, 2012 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with foot problems caused by walking, running, etc.
Recommended to Marjorie by: Read Amazon reviews
When my feet were hurting, I got three books out of the library. This one was the best, even though I'm just a city streets/park walker, not a runner, backpacker, or other athlete. It's very detailed and is more for reference than for reading straight through. It has a ton of advice on how to buy shoes, on preventing blisters, and on dealing with foot injuries.

(The other two books I got from the library were "Your Feet Don't Have to Hurt" by Suzanne M. Levine, which was more chatty, and "The Who
Shayne
May 12, 2015 Shayne rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-book
Great organization, easy reference as a result. Good stuff.
Peachie
Oct 22, 2014 Peachie rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
4.5 Stars. Great resource for runners.
David
Mar 04, 2013 David rated it really liked it
great book to read on common foot injuries due to i) lack of prevention ii) lack of understanding of one's feet iii) lack of understanding of shoes' and socks' selection iv) lack of understanding on how to treat various foot injuries with different medicine.....especially blisters' prevention and post treatment are the focus of the book. Low: Did not talk much on tendonitis foot nor muscle hamstrings..still a must read especially the prevention portions.
James Eckman
Oct 25, 2014 James Eckman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Runners, hikers, etc.
Shelves: non-fiction
Good basic and advanced advice about keeping your feet healthy for runners and other people involved in foot sports. The basic info agrees with other sources, it's generally accepted practices. The more advanced info I'm not familiar with but at least it's something you can ask a sports doctor about.
Noelle VanVleet
Aug 10, 2015 Noelle VanVleet rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, travel
This book gave me the information I need to find the right shoes and socks, and to prevent and treat foot issues. The book is meant to be used as a resource and therefore repeats itself a lot (which can be annoying if you're reading straight through). But I found the information to be valuable.
Amber Leberman
Jul 01, 2011 Amber Leberman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved my enjoyment of backpacking. Essential tips on everything from lacing patterns to blister care. Vonhof covers taping, products for problem areas and even whether one should have one's hard-won callouses sloughed off via pedicure.
Laura Sheffield
Feb 24, 2011 Laura Sheffield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: outdoors
An excellent handbook for athletes with information my podiatrist never discussed or considered as part of my treatment! Included are diagrams, photos, preventative measures, and treatments. Saving my feet is saving my backpacking!
Keith Martin
Sep 06, 2015 Keith Martin rated it liked it
Overly long and repetitive but has a lot of ideas for things to try. Unfortunately, the overall message is that everyone's feet are different, and you probably need to try several techniques to find one that works for you.
Katie
Nov 17, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
A little repetitive but packed with great information on taking care of your feet before, during, and after events. Used some of the tips in preparing for a recent half-marathon to great results.
Dave Brillhart
May 09, 2013 Dave Brillhart rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-challenge
Good reference book for dealing with (ideally, preventing) common foot issues on LONG distance runs, which generally begin after 25 miles... Issues most marathoners don't need to deal with.
Cherie
Jun 27, 2008 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
B+ A must for any endurance athlete. Wondering what to do about those scary black toenails that keep frightening your sig others? Not sure how to tape your feet? Check out this book!
Joshua Welbaum
Nov 23, 2012 Joshua Welbaum rated it it was amazing
with all the walking I do and the hiking and mountaineering I want to do this book is awesome.
Jeff Griffeth
Feb 10, 2013 Jeff Griffeth rated it really liked it
Not a glamorous subject, but a great book on fixing sore feet due to running injuries or overuse.
Eric
Fantastic reference guide for runners, hikers, and medical professionals.
Sanborn Hodgkins
very useful. Of course, only if you need the info!
Thebestdogmom Stiner
Jul 05, 2011 Thebestdogmom Stiner rated it really liked it
Awesome book. Great resource for the ultra marathoner.
Nicholas
Super informative, but a little overwhelming if you're reading it all. A great reference!
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Adam Ren
Adam Ren marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Ethel
Ethel rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Elizabeth Reichow
Elizabeth Reichow marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
matt newell
matt newell rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
  • The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing
  • The Patient's Playbook: How to Save Your Life and the Lives of Those You Love
  • One Simple Change: Surprisingly Easy Ways to Transform Your Life
  • Lore of Running
  • Why Isn't My Brain Working?
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inpiring Stories, and the Ultimate Training Tools
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
  • Athletic Body in Balance