Start by marking “Embers of Love” as Want to Read:
Embers of Love

Embers of Love (Striking a Match #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,064 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Adventure meets romance in 1885 east Texas. When her matchmaker ways get her--and her friends into trouble, will true love really conquer all?
Published October 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Embers of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embers of Love

Amy
Mar 08, 2012 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Rebekah M
Allow me to begin by refreing you to the title.
Embers of Love.
I should have been warned right there. Should have been, but I wasn't. And that isn't neccesarily a bad thing. I'm impressed with Tracie Peterson. She writes good Christian romance. The problem is, I don't like Christian romance novels. And I can't seem to remember that. The first half of this book was really good, maybe even the first three-fourths. And then it kind of...lost me.

Plot
Deborah Vandermark is returning home from col
Talia
It took me more than ten chapters to actually get into this book. I usually just quit reading at three if I am not interested, but I had the second book at the time as well so I figured I might as well.

First off; there was a lot of emphasis on ettiquette. Yet, in the end, nobody seemed to obey it. I get that we're in Texas here, & things are a little bit looser but not all ettiquette is thrown out the window. Especially when *SPOILER ALERT* somebody kissed a certain somebody & got way t
Carina
Before writing this review I had a quick look at the author page on Goodreads to see what the next book in this series was called but couldn't seem to spot it anywhere. It is kind of a shame because, although this book doesn't end in such a way as to force you to read another book (as so many series do) I do find myself wanting to return to these characters and see how they get on...

The characters that you are meant to like you like, and the characters that you are meant to dislike you dislike -
Emily
Free for nook. Not bad, other than the horrible title. There were also a few story threads that were dropped. I know there are more books in the series, but unlike the last Tracie Peterson book I read, it ended happily enough that I could imagine "happily ever after" if not for those few dangling storylines. Still, I can't imagine I will go out of my way to read the rest of the series. If it falls in my lap, perhaps.
Rita
Embers of Love was an enjoyable book overall. It had a good storyline with well-developed characters. My only complaint would be that some things seemed a bit rushed. That being said, I'm glad Deborah's story continues throughout the series and I look forward to reading Hearts Aglow and Hope Rekindled.
Darlene
just in the first couple of pages I was hooked in this book. the way the book is written I can feel what the characters are going through. love the faith that they have. the thing they go through and the faith they have I am sure we all can relate in some way. can't wait to read the next 2 books
Jaime
Boring. Predictable. Mindless.
Sensitivemuse
I enjoyed this book somewhat. Deborah was enjoyable to read as a character, she’s very strong willed and knew exactly what she wanted from life. Especially during this particular time period where she had an interest in medicine and science, it would have been hard for a woman during that time to pursue these types of interests. Her strong and likable personality was what made the book a nice read.

So! why did I say I enjoyed this book ‘somewhat’? a few things. The pace of the plot was a bit too
Rachel Thompson
I downloaded this as a free ebook for my Sony reader.

Lizzie is about to marry a man she doesn't love as a means to show her mother that she can make her own decisions, as a strong, independent woman, yet she panics at the last minute and her best friend, Deborah, convinces her to run away to Texas with her. There, Lizzie is readily accepted by Deborah's family and learns how to cook, sew, and do other 'womanly' duties that her own mother always thought were beneath her. Lizzie finds something sa
Sydney
I read this book about three years ago, but didn't really understand what was going on, so I decided to re-read this so I could give a review, and found myself enjoying it much more now then I did when I was 12/13.

This book has so many good aspects of it. Firstly, I love how interesting the story is. It was many different things going on (click for spoiler (view spoiler)) to keep you interest, but it doesn't feel
Margaret
I definitely should have written this review before starting the second book in the series Hearts Aglowbut I was eager to jump in. I'll try not to give my feelings away on that book quite yet... Tracie Peterson was one of my first introductions to Christian Historical Fiction and although I have not been a fan of her contemporary novels (too sad and emotional for me) I really love her historicals. The last Song of Alaska series left me off with a poor opinion of the third book Twilight's Serenad ...more
L
Beginning another inspring series by Tracie Peterson, this is the first in the "Striking a Match" series, with this one set in Perkinsville, TX (not a real town but a realistic portrayal of life in Texas right after the Civil War). As always, a relaxing, humorous read with many glimpses of how God may seem to be absent, but when He decides to make Himself known, the outcome is always better than what the characters in the book were expecting.
Elizabeth
Historical novels seem to go one of two ways – either the heroine is a simpering pansy or so headstrong that you want to roll your eyes. Fortunately Deborah VAndermark, the focus character in Embers of Love, is neither of these.

The story opens with Deborah and her best friend Lizzie, fresh out of college, in the church preparing for Lizzie’s wedding to a man she doesn’t love. Deborah does a fine job convincing her friend to not marry and to come home to Texas with her, which is when the story t
Susan
It was an overall good book but I thought that it was a bit choppy throughout. Some ideas showed up one second and concluded the next second. It seemed that they could have just been left out. I also think that some of the characters were not well developed. I would recommend this book though as a quick read that focuses on several Christian values.
Maeleah
Awesome book. I love how Peterson combines the historical setting, strong characters, a little bit of suspense and romance. In this story, Lizzie decides she really doesn't want to marry Stuart. Her best friend Deborah offers her family's home in Texas- for Lizzie. Although the setting is completely different than what Lizzie is used to- she learns to cook, it's hot, people are more "ignorant" than in the bustling city of Philadelphia, Lizzie is thoroughly enjoying it until her mom and supposed ...more
Kayla Brock
I thought this book was very simple yet pleasant book at the same time. Tracie Peterson seems to bring alive the characters in this book in an ever so subtle manner, which makes it all the more realistic. I personally enjoy historical fiction a lot, and this book taking place in the late 1800's in Texas made it quite easy for me to be a "part of the story". I love how the author puts in Christian relevance in this book, too, and how the characters are strong in their faith with God. However, thi ...more
Elisa
Madeline Lloyd
I don't usually read books like this. My friend recommended it to me and then bought me the book so I felt like I had to read it. The first 4 chapters were good, but then it got boring. Nothing unexpected happened. There were parts that were supposed to be surprising, but in no way did they surprise me. It was really boring. I was going to keep reading and finish the book so I could tell my friend I read it, but I just couldn't finish it. It was a chore to read this book, so I stopped 1/2 way th ...more
Sherry Little
don't waste your time. this book was totally unrealistic. completely sappy. I cannot believe I read it. it was assigned for a church book club. if only living a Christian life could be so easy
Regina Spiker
The book begins with Deborah Vandermark helping her best friend, Lizzie, ditch her betrothed at the altar in Philadelphia, hop a train and flee to the Vandermark home in the backwoods of Texas. Back home, she begins to help with the family logging business by cleaning up the bookwork and assisting the new doctor in town. When Lizzie's suffragette mother and ex-fiance appear out of the blue to take her home, Deborah's entire family, especially her brother, G.W, work together to keep Lizzie in Tex ...more
Jenn
Another wonderful book by Tracie Peterson. This tells the story of Deborah and Lizzie and their life back in 1855.

Lizzie goes to live with her friend Deborah after college to escape a loveless marriage. There she finds her peace settling in with Deborah's family. Deborah has the brains and will the to be more than the typical lady of those times but her own self holds her back until she meets the new doctor in town.

I've said before and I'll say again normally I am not into Christian romance bu
Patricia Hullet
A great book. I really enjoyed this. Excited to read the next in the series.
Sara
The story begins in 1885 in Philadelphia as two young women, Deborah and Lizzie, graduate from college and begin their adult lives. Lizzie is engaged to be married to a wealthy future politician, Stuart, but she decides that she does not love him and flees with Deborah to Perkinsville, Texas, which is Deborah’s hometown. Texas is where the adventure really begins.

Read my complete review here:

Hannah
I would have given this book 5 stars, if it would of have had a satisfying ending instead of one with unanswered questions that really should be answered before the next book begins. Besides that one mute detail, I throughly enjoyed this novel with its country romance and dramatic suspense I was reading at all hours to find out how everything would resolve. An addictive read for anyone who lovs a good romance without all the sexual scenes.
Emily-Jane Orford
This is a good quick read, if you're looking for something simple. It's also a little confusing as two friend's are introduced with parallel plot lines and it's not quite clear throughout the story which friend is the main character. It's another formula Tracie Peterson story, good, but not outstanding. Reviewed by Emily-Jane Hills Orford, award winning author of "The Whistling Bishop".
Adriana
This was a very sweet story. It made me laugh and wanting for more.
Shawn
I must say I really enjoyed this book. I felt like I had stepped back in time and it reminded me so much of home. I could so easily identify with book, having grown up in East Texas and having worked for many years in the logging/forestry industry. It was amazing how well the author captured not only the era but the surroundings and the field. I just adored this book.
Tammy
Oh, I really enjoyed this book. This is the first book I have read by Tracie Peterson and I plan to read others. This is a great Historical Romance with a dose of Christian Fiction. It contains strong characters that face many challenges of the day. They learn to trust and rely on God for all things; especially love.
George Mcmillin
Medicalodges Herington Nursing Home Book Club selection. We enjoyed reading this book together. Some staff are cousins of the author's husband. One had a full collection of Tracie Peterson's books. Selecting to read this book due to it's acclamation. Being followed by the Striking a Match series.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 24, 2015 11:10AM
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • Lady in the Mist (The Midwives, #1)
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Before the Season Ends
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • Ransome's Honor (The Ransome Trilogy, #1)
  • The Frontiersman's Daughter
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • My Heart Remembers
  • Surrender the Wind
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • The Lady of Bolton Hill
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Striking a Match (3 books)
  • Hearts Aglow (Striking a Match, #2)
  • Hope Rekindled (Striking a Match, #3)
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) A Lady of Hidden Intent (Ladies of Liberty, #2)

“It was an accident," Deborah declared.
"Yeah, the man she intended to hit ducked. I just happened to be behind him.”
6 likes