Start by marking “Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 3

Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 3 (Death Note: Black Edition #3)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  2,552 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Killer 2-for-1 value on the hit thriller Death Note!

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for audiences T+. Contains Volumes 5 and 6 of Death Note!

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he’s bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook d
Published May 3rd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Apr 21, 2015 Catriona (LittleBookOwl) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
My goodness!
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 05, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
*4.5*

There were a few slow parts in this one, but DANG the last 50 pages or so were nuts!
Nerdish Mum
Nov 21, 2015 Nerdish Mum rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten about the Yotsuba arc of the anime and I remember why, it's definitely not my favourite arc within the storyline. Far too much time is spent on people in meeting rooms and not enough time on the main characters. However as usual it's wonderfully written and beautifully convoluted. The artwork is perfect and I still thoroughly enjoyed this book overall.
Sue Moro
Mar 16, 2013 Sue Moro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Overall, still enjoying this series. I found the parts involving the meetings of the Yotsuba group to be a little tedious, however, and they slowed down the plot.
Monica Go
Mar 16, 2017 Monica Go rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
For now the second volume is my favorite. Although, I'm enjoying how the story is progressing and I want to see how Ryuk is coming back in it. I'm also eager to know how Light's plan is going to work out. Need more voluuuumes.
Gav451
Jul 25, 2015 Gav451 rated it really liked it
Holy cow there is a twist and a half at the start of this book. Something that made sense but that I did not expect at all. Amazing piece of plotting. I do not propose to reveal or spoil any of it but rest assured it left me agape for a while.

As before this is a densely written thriller with continuous twists and turns that you need to focus on in order to keep apace with all of them. As before it eschews the action and violence for a far more ethereal and thoughtful experience.

The bravery of th
Josef Hare
Jun 11, 2015 Josef Hare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of this volume contains an event that pretty much completely changes the story, I can see why they'd want to do something like this after two volumes of the same set-up, but it was extremely disorienting. It felt like everything that had happened previously suddenly had no influence, and it was like the manga had somehow rebooted itself before it was even done. I had negative feelings about all this initially, but I soon began to really enjoy it. The event in question doesn't reall ...more
Teya Agnese
Jun 10, 2016 Teya Agnese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
(CONTAINS SPOILERS)
OMG these just keep getting better and better!

Light's plan had gone exactly how he expected it too even though he lost all memory to do with his possession of the death note!

Matsudu and Misa-Misa's roles in this book were brilliant even though they're portrayed as almost useless characters, they proved themselves worthy of being part of the team.

Overall I enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed the others and I am going to continue on with the next book immediately ! ;) haha
Mel
Jan 14, 2016 Mel rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I don't love where the story went but it's still so good and I'm enjoyed it so much.

Around The Year in 52 Books Challenge #36 - A book about a different culture/religion/sexuality
Giovanna
May 26, 2016 Giovanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
3.5

- Good Light is something I never want to see again. Never.
- Misa is still a big no
- This one was slightly boring

I think the next one will be better. Come back to me psycho Light :333

RTC
Chloe
Jan 28, 2017 Chloe rated it really liked it
Ever since I finished volume 2 of Death Note, I have been eager to jump back into the story. After getting the rest of the books for Christmas, I finally got the chance to rejoin the battle between Light and L and although I enjoyed it, it was still not at good as the very first volume.

The plot for the first and second volumes were quite similar; Light trying to outsmart L in order to create the world in which he has judged to be free from evil. However this one took a different turn, following
Georgia
This series is literally my favourite thing at the moment! I'm definitely buying the last 3 this saturday coming up, because I cant wait to find out what happens! (also I have to wait 3 days to continue this on, and its going to kill me) I'm very glad this series is so long because I love it so much!

*spoilers*
The ending of this one was so good, (especially Volume 6), but I found I missed Light being Kira a lot? like I definitely liked the plot of him giving up his deathnote to escape the police
Victoria
Each volume continues to get more exciting and volume 3 certainly did not disappoint. L and Kira continue in their battle of wills to see who is victorious in the end. They are both two individuals who are on opposite sides of the spectrum yet they are so strikingly similar. They are both incredibly competitive, they are perfectionists, they are compelled to beat the other person and they will go to any lengths necessary to win.
Ingrid
Sep 07, 2016 Ingrid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Still 3 black editions (so 6 original volumes) to go and no way of predicting what will happen next! The story and the art are amazing. However, I do miss strong female characters (the male characters are good, so that is why I noticed the difference) :/ Until now there has only been one female who was fairly well written, aii
Xavier (CharlesXplosion)
Characters: 1/5

Writing: 1/5

Plot: 1/5

Setting: 1/5

This volume was such a disappointment. Everything that I loved from the prior volumes completely went away for me in this volume. I hope things pick up soon.
Halley Hopson
May 23, 2016 Halley Hopson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, manga
Those last fifty or so pages were crazy! I'm absolutely loving this series and can't wait to get my hands on the next one.
Pooja (Infinite Reads)
Jun 03, 2015 Pooja (Infinite Reads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
Mar 30, 2017 Lucrezia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, fantasy, drammatic
J.
Jan 27, 2014 J. rated it liked it
The story of Kira & "L" continues.

In this installment, Light gives up ownership of the Death Note in order to forget everything about it, and be truly honest in his attempts at convincing "L" that he is not Kira. In the meantime, the shinnigami that hunted Misa-Misa gives her Death note to a corrupt & ambitious businessman in order to deflect suspicion away from Misa-Misa. "L" ends up believing that both Light and Misa-Misa are innocent of being Kira & Kira 2, though he suspects that
Jay
Feb 13, 2017 Jay rated it it was amazing
I think this series is amazing. Yes it makes you think and focus a lot but it's a page turner for sure. Wouldn't have it any other way. Now I need to get vol 4!
Aubrie
Aug 01, 2015 Aubrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oo! I can't tell you how many times I was literally yelling at this book while I was reading it! I just wanted to absolutely devour this book!

Light and Misa lose their whole memories regarding the Death Notes after being taken into custody by L. But was this all part of Light's plan? Meanwhile, an entire company seems to have gained the powers Light and Misa once had. L tries to plan Light's innocence so he can put him on the case to finding out who this next person with the powers is. Light coo
Sohi
Jun 09, 2015 Sohi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death note is about a notebook that has the power to kill anyone whose name is written on the notebook. One day, Light Yagami comes in possession of this notebook, and he begins to try to "rid the world of evil." I love this concept so much, and the writer seems so brilliant. I do find it a bit less fascinating than it was in the beginning, but it is still very interesting. I never really have any idea where this story will go, and I enjoy the artwork. I picked up volume 4 immediately after I fi ...more
Agne
3.5 out of 5
There is a big twist in the beginning of this volume. I didn't like it that much, but I can see why it was necessary for the story to continue. Also, it took me a while to get used to the aftermath of this big twist: the personality change just doesn't seem too believable (view spoiler). Thus, the first half of the volume was a bit slow for me, but when I finally did get used to the new direction t
Am
May 07, 2016 Am rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No estoy segura de como calificar un manga, pero admito que he AMADO este. El segundo tomo (por alguna razón), se me hizo eterno y aún así le eché la culpa a la resaca literaria, pero debo admitir que este ha estado bastante mejor.
Aquí queda claramente demostrado que Light no es tonto precisamente y todo el plan que había ideado para demostrar que él no es Kira. Pero, como no, L no está demasiado alejado con sus sospechas.
Por otro lado, sigo sin aguantar a Misa, es un personaje al que odio, lo c
DimitraDmr
Jun 02, 2016 DimitraDmr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot understand why my heart keeps wanting to burst out of my chest.

I've watched the anime, I know what is going to happen, but still... What if?

What if not all those who die in the anime die in the manga? What if something is different?

I care too much about Light and L and more or less everyone. They are both geniuses. All their guesses and speculations are not just correct, they are accurate.

Death note is just too good. Too good.
Chelle (crazytrinket)
Dec 23, 2016 Chelle (crazytrinket) rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, manga
Not as good as the first two books or volume and there are parts that are quite boring.
Isabel
May 15, 2016 Isabel rated it it was amazing
I need to know what happens next but I ha to wait until Thursday until I get volume IV.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • The Adventure of the Yellow Face (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • NARUTO -ナルト- 69 (Naruto, #69)
  • Another: 0
  • 黒執事 XXII [Kuroshitsuji XXII]
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Candy and the Broken Biscuits (Candypop #1)
5502079
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is spe
More about Tsugumi Ohba...

Death Note: Black Edition (6 books)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1