Start by marking “The Lasko Tangent” as Want to Read:
The Lasko Tangent

The Lasko Tangent (Christopher Paget #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,329 ratings  ·  30 reviews
William Lasko is a self-made millionaire with an eye for wealth and influence, the ear of the president, and a talent for using both to get what he wants. Now the Economic Crime Commission wants Lasko brought down, and US Attorney Christopher Paget is tipped to take on the job.
Published August 30th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Lasko Tangent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lasko Tangent

Linda Gosslin
Sep 18, 2007 Linda Gosslin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Legal thriller fans
I read this book many years ago, when it was first published. I decided to re-read it and see if I still liked this author. I started with The Lasko Tangent because it's the first, chronologically, in the Christopher Paget series.

I found it as interesting, absorbing and well-written as I remember finding Richard North Patterson's novels in the past. THIS Patterson is a lucid, well-spoken writer who presents his characters in such a way that they are memorable. It isn't necessary to keep referrin
K1d2
I'd call the first half OK. The latter part of the second half really gets interesting -- the kind of "I don't want to put it down" interesting -- but then abruptly, the story is done. It's not the way I expected it to end, so that was a bit disappointing. I do realize that Patterson's later books will fill in the gaps with flashbacks back to this book, but it would be nice to have kept the story going and see the story play out here.
Scott
Ths is a fast read. Lots of twists and turns. A real mystery until the last couple of pages.
Aries
Leggere il primo libro di uno dei propri autori preferiti è sempre una sensazione particolare; quando poi il libro è in lingua originale, il tutto assume un'aura ancora più intrigante, dando l'impressione di essere ancora più vicino al narratore della vicenda.Nel mio caso l'acquisto di "The Lasko Tangent" in lingua originale è stata una scelta obbligata, dato che si tratta di uno dei quattro romanzi di Richard North Patterson colpevolmente mai pubblicati in Italia."The Lasko Tangent" è un romanz ...more
Bob
Chris Paget is a lawyer with the Economic Crimes Commission and he has a reputation of being a bit a a maverick, but his bosses assign him to investigate some security dealing by a big businessman with a shady reputation and also a friend of the President. When Chris gets some leads he has to fight his boss to follow up and eventually goes around him and goes it on his own. A lead ends up dead and Chris gets some threatening calls as he continues to dig. He gets tied up with another lawyer from ...more
Richard
My first R N Patterson book and definitely not my last. I noted from other reviewers that his early books were not as good. If that's the case I look forward to reading all his later stuff. I agree that the plot was not twisting and turning every other page, but sometimes I just want to read something not too taxing and easy to follow. I liked the humourless banter of the 'maverick' lawyer, Chris Padgett, although it did start to get mildly tedious towards the end. The good little guy up against ...more
Ken

This is an early work by Richard North Patterson, and it is not very good. This novel is so predictable and trite that it verges dangerously close to 'boring'.

Christopher Paget is an agent for The Economic Crimes Commission, and he is after, William Lasko, a politically powerful industrialist, and friend of the president, for illegal stock manipulation. One of the witnesses is killed right before his eyes, and Paget is convinced that Lasko had him killed to cover-up his evil machinations.

The ch
Sharon
The plot kept me interested and guessing what would happen next. I really liked the main character. This was the perfect mix for me of lawyers, government, politics, and corruption that needs to be brought to justice. This was Patterson's first novel and it's a great first effort. Sometimes the author has characters make comments that seem like inside jokes that I don't get. Other than that, I really liked this book.
Mary
This was Patterson's first book and the first of what are now three Christopher Paget stories. It was good. His style was a little strange in the beginning but it got a lot better or I became more comfortable with it; in his introduction to the re-issue of this book he said that his style then was different from his style now. The plot held my attention and it was a quick, easy read
Samantha
I really enjoyed reading Richard North Patterson's first novel. As I am a big fan of his, I felt it only right to go back and read the book that started his incredible career! If you are a fan as well, it is definitely a worthy read and doesn't disappoint. I gave it 4 stars only because it took me a little while to get into it, but once I did, I was hooked!
Ralph McEwen
I am in full agreement with K1d2's review. That why I "liked" that review. The only thing I would add is that my emotional response while reading the first half of this book was "Just why is he putting up with this crap from all these people?". Of course my next thought was because if he didn't the book would end right here, duh. :P
Al
Why does everything always get wrapped up tightly in these books. It's always a disappointing end to an otherwise great read.
Jeanette
It was an interesting mystery. ChrisPaget realizes that Lasko is into something big, not just a little crime of stock manipulations & that Lasko is killing to prevent the truth from being discovered. He really doesn't know who to confide in as the mystery pieces start to fit together & Lasko is out to get him too.
Joe
Enjoyable enough debut novel set in late 1970's, plot was interesting around shady financial practises of a well known successful businessman with plenty if political connections. I enjoyed the lead character and see there is some subsequent follow ups which I will look to get to in the not too distant future.
Jc
An interesting book, a new author to follow. It is the first time I read a mistery novel about white collar crime. The plot is good with fast pace. The business story is actually pretty credible. The lawyer/investigator from the SEC is an interesting character. Good stuff
Luann
You can tell this was the author's first novel. It had the potential to be so much better but Patterson was more interested in how many "big" words he could use throughout the story instead of spending more time on character development and the story itself.
Bobbie
A light read that moves pretty fast. I would say it is only slightly dated, but not bad since it was written in 1979 and, BTW, is the first book by this author. I do plan on reading the other two books in the triolgy.
Amber
Incredible debut novel that had me turning pages all the way through. Patterson created a detective that was my kind of cynical as well as being very intelligent. I really enjoyed following him through the novel.
Mark
My 1st in the Chris Paget series...decent for the ride on the subway...written back in the 70s so its dated and the office techniques are laughable now...a so-so read with an entertaining, smart-ass main character
Renee
I have not read much from this author but this was a very good and fast paced book. I will be reading more from this author.
Caroline
probably the dumbest book I read while on vacation and I wasn't reading a lot of high literature
Emily
Read for my mystery book club. I will definitely read the rest in the series!
B
may have enjoyed this more if read in the proper sequence, but still good
Julie
Disappointing given how good his subsequent books with this character are.
Liz
I actually read this one before, but it was pretty good.
Sheryl
Nothing special, but not bad. Your typical crime mystery.
Predictable and disappointing....
Babsmu
Couldn't put it down.
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • Forbidden Flowers
  • Abuse Of Power
  • The White House Connection
  • Ordinary Heroes
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • Sacred Ground
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • Missing
  • The Delta Star
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs Novel)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • The New Glucose Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index -- The Dietary Solution for Lifelong Health
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • Double Jeopardy
Richard North Patterson is the author of fourteen previous bestselling and critically acclaimed novels. Formerly a trial lawyer, Patterson served as the SEC’s liaison to the Watergate special prosecutor and has served on the boards of several Washington advocacy groups dealing with gun violence, political reform, and women’s rights. He lives in San Francisco and on Martha’s Vineyard.
Macmillan.com
More about Richard North Patterson...
Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2) Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2) The Final Judgment Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget, #3) Exile

“If someone really interests you, you'll learn about them yourself.” 5 likes