Start by marking “The Kidnapping (Inspector Rutledge #12.5)” as Want to Read:
The Kidnapping (Inspector Rutledge #12.5)

The Kidnapping (Inspector Ian Rutledge #12.5)

Published (first published December 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Kidnapping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kidnapping

Miki
Sep 29, 2011 Miki rated it it was ok
An Ian Rutledge story could never be really bad, but this one just didn't quite make the cut. I should confess that I don't really like short stories , so it would be difficult to find one I really liked anyway. This one wasn't long enough to develop the storyline, and the writer(s) actually FORGOT Hamish!
Patsyann
Aug 18, 2015 Patsyann rated it it was amazing
A very short Ian Rutledge mystery story.
Though it is Ian Rutledge at his best, solving a mystery without fingerprints (which would have been very helpful in this story), it does not include the angst of Ian. Ian’s back story is not in this story. Just plain old solving a crime with your wits and common sense.
Always love a good Ian Rutledge mystery.
BEST USE OF: Canada and Africa
PROLOGUE/EPILOGUE No
Gunnar
Jun 10, 2011 Gunnar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I'm not a fan of mysteries that hinge on a little-known bit of trivia, and the writing for this short story wasn't as well crafted as that for the novels. This seems less an attempt to satisfy current fans, and more a means of putting sample chapters of the three most recent novels (the bonus material) in front of new readers, who perhaps aren't willing to spend more than 0.99 for a writer they haven't previously tried.
Bob Lenning
Jan 10, 2013 Bob Lenning rated it liked it
It's a fine short story, but the disappointment for fans of the Rutledge series of novels is that the detective here shows no connection to service in WWI. Indeed, the character that many would identify as 'main supporting' in the novels does not appear at all in this story, though two other regulars do. I would guess that this was written as an exercise before Ian Rutledge was fully formed in the authors' minds.
Nancy
Oct 06, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Typical Ian Rutledge style in solving a murder - all brains.. Very short read!

In an original short story by New York Times bestselling author Charles Todd, Scotland Yard inspector Ian Rutledge must put all his detecting skills to use to solve a baffling case. A man and his young daughter were returning home from a dinner party when three men appeared from out of nowhere and grabbed the girl. Rutledge has to act quickly to find the child and bring the surprising culprits to justice.
Petra
Jan 13, 2013 Petra rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend any of the Ian Rutledge mysteries by Charles Todd. All of them are well written and the "who done it" keeps you guessing. The main character Ian Rutledge is a shell shocked soldier that survived world war 1 and returns to his job with Scotland Yard. He is a highly likable character.
Jack Sakalauskas
Jul 05, 2015 Jack Sakalauskas rated it really liked it
"The Kidnapping," is a short story from the Ian Rutledge series. It shows Ruthledge at his best solving a crime by his wits and brainpower. He can't have all cases that last for weeks or months. Some are short, lasting only a few hours. There is no mention of Hamish in this story. Takes less that a few hours to read because half of the download is a preview of his next book.
Jessamy
Mar 07, 2015 Jessamy rated it it was amazing
What can I say but that I wish it were longer.

This story is clever as are all those by the writing team of Charles Todd but it is truly a gem. You spoil us with these occasional bits of light and thank you so very much.
Valerie Jackson
Apr 12, 2015 Valerie Jackson rated it it was ok
A fast read (short story) and not particularly clever. Didn't seem like the same Inspector Rutledge at all. Not sure what the point was in writing it. SPOILER - no Hamish at all, which made Rutledge far to flat.
Joy
Jan 29, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok
Not a bad story, but the length here doesn't play to the strengths of Todd's writing, namely their ability to evoke the time period and their attention to character.
Stacey
Dec 09, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing
It was a short read as it was a short story, but it was still very good. I really love this series. I'm so glad I found it.
February Four
Mar 08, 2015 February Four rated it liked it
Didn't have the complexity I expect from Rutledge books, but I guess for a short story it didn't have the room.
Susan Jones
Jul 21, 2015 Susan Jones rated it liked it
I could only find this as an online/ebook. It's a short story and was good as far as short stories go, but it certainly didn't have the usual Ian Rutledge feel.
Elisha (lishie)
Jun 25, 2015 Elisha (lishie) rated it liked it
Solid, short story without the "true" feel of a real Routledge novel... Too quick, too easy ;) Not enough Hamish!
Shelly
Dec 12, 2013 Shelly rated it really liked it
I missed Hamish in this brief story. We didn't really get much of Rutledge's thoughts either, which was a bit disconcerting. Still, it was a good mystery and convincingly solved.
Jennifer F Jones
Jennifer F Jones rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Helen Hills
Helen Hills rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Tay Mueller
Tay Mueller rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Audra
Audra rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Peniford
Peniford rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Jacky
Jacky rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Lela
Lela rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
  • The Million Dollar Bond Robbery
  • Booktaker
  • Hilda Hopkins, Murder She Knit
  • No Man's Land
  • Works of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Small Plates (Faith Fairchild)
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • The Body Snatchers Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon #3)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
Charles Todd is the pen name used by a mother-and-son writing team, Caroline Todd and Charles Todd.
More about Charles Todd...

Inspector Ian Rutledge (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
  • Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #4)
  • Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #6)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
  • A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9)
  • A Pale Horse (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #10)