Start by marking “Too Close to Home” as Want to Read:
Too Close to Home

Too Close to Home (Women of Justice #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  4,728 ratings  ·  423 reviews
The FBI has a secret weapon. But now the secret's out.

When missing teens begin turning up dead in a small Southern town, the FBI sends in Special Agent Samantha Cash to help crack the case. Her methods are invisible, and she never quits until the case is closed.

Homicide detective Connor Wolfe has his hands full. His relationship with his headstrong daughter is in a tailsp

Published May 4th 2010 by Baker Publishing Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Too Close to Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Close to Home

I am so far unimpressed and I'm very close to the end. That makes me sad to say about Christian writers but often I feel like the writing is mediocre at best but since it says good stuff about God it's left alone.

Within 50 pages I was rolling my eyes. The story seems very redone, conversations are stilted and unnatural and the love at first sight thing is ridiculous.

I did not buy the reactions to the similarities between the wife that died and Sam. Even if they looked a lot alike, a sixteen-yea
This book was incredible. An absolute I can't put it down or turn the pages fast enough to find out what will happen next and how it will end. Full of twists, turns, and unexpected surprises, this book would be a great movie. I liked the characters and thought they were all very credible. Another winner by Lynette Eason.
TOO CLOSE TO HOME by Lynette Eason was a riveting, fast-paced novel that kept my interest throughout.

Special Agent Samantha Cash is called in to assist the SLED - South Carolina Law enforcement division- in the unexplained disappearance and deaths of local teen girls. With her expertise in computer forensics, she hopes she is able to dig deep enough to find what the other task forces have missed in solving this case.

Homicide detective Connor Wolfe is being pulled in two directions. He knows he n
I rarely rip apart a book. But this? I can't even figure out where to start?

OK, OK. COMPLETELY UNBELIEVABLE. There. That's a place to start. It was horribly written. I felt like the setting was never completely developed. I had this sense at one point that its big city, then it feels small town. I was totally lost.

Then, the sequence of horrifying events - they just weren't realistic. I don't know why I read stories like this. I feel like Eason didn't do her research. Things like when the detect
This one started rather well, but it quickly fizzled out. There was too much of the annoying teenager hating and loving her father (hating without a just reason, but that’s the teenage way, I suppose—apparently she blamed him for her mother’s death, because they fought before her mother crashed her car; honey, unless he cut her break lines, I don’t think he was *directly* responsible), there was definitely too much God-talk (for someone not religious so much faith and God ‘banter’ grows tedious, ...more

Ok, when the publisher says "read this one with the lights on" um.... you better read it with the lights on - or at least don't do what I did and read it while house/dog sitting.

Let's just say, I didn't sleep much that night, because just as I got to an "intense" part, the dog I was watching proceeded to "bark" at something in the yard. (Yes, the rational part of my mind knew it was a skunk, rabbit or some other creature, but well, the subconscious mind was a bit freaked out).

I liked the charact
This review is from: Too Close to Home (Women of Justice Series #1) (Kindle Edition)
I have been struggling to figure out how to review this book. I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I finished it but rather than the average three days it takes for me to devour a book, it took over a week.
I loved the characters, their own personal strengths and weaknesses. I love how Connor struggled to be a devoted father and cop, wanting both but not able to figure out how. The story was good, but not gripping,
Excellent romantic suspense. The romance is mostly a side subject, with the suspense building as the killer sets his sights on the team hunting him down. The first half was a bit slow for me, and took me a while to care about the characters, especially when one I liked falls in the line of duty.

In the end, the main characters had a nice ending, though it was rushed but two things seemed to not be concluded: was A. "The Boss" or not? And did they ever find Sydney's body? Was it unanswered or sim
Warning: this is one great page turning suspense and be sure to start it only if you sufficient reading time to finish it, especially the last 20% of the book.

I have read A Killer Among Us about 2 years ago and then bought the first 2 books in the Women of Justice series, and cannot believe I waited till now to read it. Lynette Eason is one gifted suspense writer and after this book she moved up the ranks of favourite suspense writers.

The characters. I loved the characters. They were real dealin
Jun 02, 2011 Iola rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Dee Henderson
I really like Dee Henderson's writing, and have had trouble finding a worthy sucessor since she seems to have stopped writing. Lynette Eason is the first writer who has come close - not totally suprising, as she says in her author note that Dee Henderson has been her mentor for many years.

The story is about a widowed detective working on a case of missing teenage girls that have started to turn up dead. At the same time, he is dealing with problems at home, with a rebellious teenage daughter wh
Victor Gentile
I had the privilege of interviewing Lynette Eason, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for her new book, "Too Close To Home" Book One in her Women Of Justice series published by Revell. People look at me funny when I tell them that I am a sucker for a good romance but that is part of my makeup and that is that. However, give me a romance where cars get blown up, there are sniper attacks and there is a sociopath on the loose and I am a very happy person. It has a lot to do with testosterone I ...more
Erin Butler
I'm trying to decide whether or not 3 stars is too generous.

The plot line was decent, at best. I figured out who the killer was by chaper four. The auther didn't really draw in many new details or suspects, and the characters seemed to circle endlessly around the same basic facts for most of the story.

Also, what city cops drive mustangs and corvettes? Seriously.

The part that annoyed me the most about his book, however, was the poor writing. The author's sentence structure was terrible. She also
I read this book because, like some of you, it was a free friday nook book. I will try to be positive. I actually liked the story. I liked where the story was going. My problem with this book is 1. there is no spacing between the end of one scene and the beginning of another. 2. The bad guy was known as "The Agent". If FBI Agents are a part of your story, don't name the bad guy "Agent", Especially if there is no spacing between the actual FBI agents talking and the "Agent" talking. Are you confu ...more
A Quickie Review

Author Lynette Eason paints an all-too-real portrait of young women being taken advantage of online. This book will definitely make you think twice before meeting someone in person that you only "know" via the Internet. Plenty of suspense, likable characters, a despicable villain, and a cliffhanger ending all made for a great read.

Content Concerns: I don't do my usual listing for Christian-themed entertainment, but I will say this: This book is rife with emotional intensity, and
4.4 -- This was the first book I've read by Lynette Eason, and I enjoyed it a lot. It held my interest all the way through. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series.
Criminal Minds with a Christian Twist! I picked this book up as a free Kindle title, and was a bit wary about starting it, as my tastes have been gradually moving away from mystery books and heading for romances. I was pleasantly surprised by this book though! It mixed elements of a mystery with a romance pretty seamlessly and I began to care about what happened to the characters. From the beginning, it reminded me of a Criminal Minds episode, which is one of my favorite television shows. Later ...more
WOW...just...WOW! I don't even know where to start!

This was my first taste of Lynette Eason's spell-binding suspense, but it most definitely will NOT be my last! Too Close to Home grabbed me from page one, and didn't let go 'til the very end. I devoured it in less than 6 hours -- with a few annoying interruptions. ;)

Even though there were times I wasn't sure I could go on, I just could NOT put this book down! Those of you who know me well will understand what I mean by not being able to go on. I
Every once in awhile a book comes along that just begs to be in a series so I have something to look forward to when the book ends, "Too Close To Home" is one of those books. From the beginning I knew Lynette Eason had created something unusual with her homicide detective, Connor Wolfe and FBI Special Agent Samantha Cash. The book opens with Conner arriving at the scene of another dead body. She is young, obviously murdered and has one very unusual feature... she has been pregnant recently. A pa ...more
Homicide Detective Connor Wolfe, has been brought in by the police in his home town to help investigate the disappearance of teen age girls. This hits very close to home, as he himself has a teenage daughter in this town. He is determined to figure out what the link is between all these girls disappearing, and finding them alive if possible. Also called into the case is Special Agent Samantha Cash from the FBI. An expert computer analysist, she will take the computers and examine every part poss ...more
Seven teen girls have gone missing in a small Southern town, and four of the seven have turned up dead. The police have hit dead ends, and have absolutely no leads left, but Homicide detective Connor Wolfe knows the deaths have to be related. So he asks for help, and the FBI sends in Special Agent Samantha Cash, a computer expert, to help crack the case.

The town is demanding answers, Connor’s sixteen year old daughter is demanding attention, and the case has Connor, Samantha, and the rest of th
Review on Amazon:
Review on my blog (to be posted 2/21):

Too Close to Home was another great suspense read! Having read two of Lynette Eason's newer books (When the Smoke Clears and When a Heart Stops), I was excited to finally read one of her older novels.

The mystery was really good and I loved that I was actually able to guess correctly about who the killer was! The case was very attention grabbing and there were m
When one girl went missing, there was some concern. Though when another girl went missing shortly after the first one, people started to panic; especially when the body of one of the missing girls turns up.

FBI Special Agent Samantha Cash is called onto the case to assist, Homicide detective Connor Wolfe. Connor is good at his job. Some of Samantha’s techniques throw him for a loop. Though when it comes to this case, he is fine with letting Samantha take the lead.

You know when you parents warne
I enjoy a good contemporary mystery. The kind that makes your toes curl and your breath pump faster.

TOO CLOSE TO HOME was a good novel, but it really got good about half way through the book. It starts off slow and I must admit that I skimmed at the start, but then it roped me in and I couldn’t go fast. The tension really kicked up a notch at that point and it kept me glued to the pages. The suspense was well done, and I was intrigued at just who was committing these crimes and until the end I
Wendy Sparkes
Missing teens are turning up dead.

Connor Wolfe, homicide detective with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, has been drafted in to help, & this case has him by the throat. He knows the killings are connected...but how? Then there’s his 16 year old daughter Jenna – rebellious & angry since her mother’s death – & Connor is terrified she will be next.

There are very few clues to go on.

The Crime Scene Unit finds a piece of paper with an Instant Message conversation on the 3rd dea
Annie Folck
I have been reading quite a few mystery/suspense novels lately. This one is okay, but not one of the better ones, mostly because it is so predictable. I knew from the earliest chapters that the main character's daughter, Jenna, was going to wind up in the killer's clutches. About halfway through, I guessed who "The Agent" was. Within a few more chapters, my suspicions were confirmed. It was also easy to tell the two main characters, Conner and Samantha, were going to be an item.

On the up side, i
Too Close To Home by Lynette Eason drew me in quickly and kept my interest throughout. It is a Christian fiction thriller about a widower detective, Connor, with a 16-yr-old daughter, Jenna. As Connor tries to hunt down a serial killer who keeps killing young teens, his daughter gets drawn in to the guy's scheme of finding girls on the internet and offering them a modeling interview. Connor's partner, Andrew and computer geek, Samantha, working the case with him are both Christians who try witne ...more
Eason's first book in the Women of Justice series is an entertaining read. While I did figure out one of the killers about mid way through, it still held me in suspense and kept me eagerly devouring the pages. I have to say that is one area where I think Eason excels - mystery & suspense. While the romance part of the book wasn't bad, it just didn't flow and felt a little corny at times. Overall, I enjoyed the read and better yet- it was free!

I have to add that I read this as an E-book and
This book was Wow! Suspense filled!! It was a real crime scene I'd so like to watch if it was a film. The events God used to turn Connor and Jenna to him was intriguing however sad. I did suspect Tom initially but changed my mind later. So it left me with suspicions, some of which were on point.

This book was captivating but at the beginning I wouldn't say I enjoyed it much till I got 55% into the book then it became worth reading.

The drive for evil well represented in The Agent. Everything bega
Eason has penned an intriguing and complicated story in TOO CLOSE TO HOME! What I loved about this story was Eason's in-depth exploration of the internet as part of the story. In a culture where our teens are growing up glued to the internet and their cell phones--and as a mother of two teen daughters and the wife of a husband who works with web security--this story hit really close to home. Very well done, and very realistic--and FRUSTRATING! :-D Eason did a great job!
  • Fatal Judgment (Guardians of Justice, #1)
  • Attracted to Fire
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Saving Hope (Men of the Texas Rangers #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • Blood Ransom
  • Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble, #1)
  • The Dead Saint
  • Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)
  • Accused (Pacific Coast Justice, #1)
  • Gone to Green (Green #1)
Lynette Eason grew up in Greenville, SC. She graduated from the University of South Carolina, Columbia, and then obtained her masters in education from Converse College. Author of twenty inspirational romantic suspense books, she is also a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). In 1996, Lynette married "the boy next door" and now she and her husba ...more
More about Lynette Eason...

Women of Justice (3 books)
  • Don't Look Back (Women of Justice, #2)
  • A Killer Among Us (Women of Justice #3)

“Be right there.” He hung up and closed his eyes for a brief moment before gathering the energy to swing his feet to the floor. Two hours of sleep. Well, he’d gone with less. However, at the age of forty-two, he seemed to feel the lack a lot more than he did ten years ago. Shaking his head to fling off the fog of interrupted sleep, he headed for the shower, wondering if he should wake up Jenna, his sixteen-year-old daughter, or just hope she slept through the rest of the night.” 0 likes
“Eventually that will pay her bills. She graduates in” 0 likes