Start by marking “Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1

Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1 (Ai Ore! Love Me! / 愛を歌うより俺に溺れろ! #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Reads R to L (Japanese Style) T+ audience. Mizuki is the female “prince” of her all-girls school and the lead guitarist in an all-girl rock band. Akira is the male “princess” of his all-boys school and wants to join her band. Love may be on his mind, but romance is difficult when everyone keeps mistaking Mizuki for a boy and Akira for a girl!

When the lead singer of Blaue R
Published May 3rd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ai Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
262nd out of 588 books — 1,226 voters
Black Bird, Vol. 1 by Kanoko SakurakoujiOh My Goddess!, Volume 1 by Kosuke FujishimaHana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya NakajoFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaAi Ore! Love Me! Vol. 1 by Mayu Shinjo
Worst Manga
5th out of 61 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
Mizuki is referred to as the Prince of her all-girls school, which sits right next to the much more poor all-boys school. What adds even more sparkle to her spotlight is that Mizuk is the lead guitarist for the band Blaue Rosen, a band that her and her best friend had made together. But now that her best friend is leaving for New York, the band will have to find a new lead singer! If only Mizuki would give in...
Next door, at the much poorer all-boys school, Akira is called the Princess of his sc
Serene
Want the gist of my review in three words? Ew. Skip it.

Ai Ore starts out mediocrely; not good but not all that awful. But after the first chapter or so, it just collapses into cliched and, more importantly, disgusting. My first and most subjective complaint is the art. It’s just ugly. The art alone almost made me drop it four pages in. I wish I had. It’s almost a parody, how angular it all is. The male looking characters look like they have triangles for heads, slits for eyes, and got their clo
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

When the lead singer of Blaue Rosen announces she is moving overseas, Akira does all he can to convince Mizuki and her bandmates to let him join. But will a resistant Mizuki allow him into h
Jennette
I absolutely adore this series , I read volume one through seven and I cant get to get eight when I get money, not only is it super cute , its kinda hot , it seems like yaoi , because the girl looks like a guy and the guy looks like a girl , I absolutely recommend it .
Hikaoru
i doubt that i'm going to continue this.
there's so many scenes that makes me mad.
its intriguing, i can give it that.
however, i dislike the heroine and her school, including the students.
the blurb about the book implied about it being a story of gender bending idiots.
sadly, its shounen ai drama.
i like shounen ai.. but the existence of the heroine makes it annoying 'cause it won't be one.
if its a shoujo, i was more hoping for a cute story.

if my curiosity wins out, i might pick this up again. the n
Karen Chong
Was trying something different. Found it to be kind of silly.
Laura Graves

I was browsing the graphic novels and manga at the library and figured I would just pick up a few first volumes to see if anything new would reel me in. Weirdly enough almost everything I looked at was gender-bending. Ai Ore was one of those. Even more bizarre is the fact that the girl (who looks like a boy) in Ai Ore is named Mizuki… just like Hana-Kimi’s heroine. They’re very different characters though, so I should be able to keep them se
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5/5
[Also available at my blog.]

I haven’t read anything else by Shinjo that I remember all that clearly; I think I read the first volume of Sensual Phrase several years ago, and I think I’ve glimpsed through another of her series. I never really had enough interest to invest in any of her manga, though. Mostly, they seemed dramatic and clichéd, but not something that I really wouldn't like, but I never got around to actually reading any of it. With VIZ releasing this recently, I decided to giv
Diana Dang
Mizuki's boyish features have her as the prince at her all-girls school. She rocks the stage with her all-female band called Blaue Rosen. Akira is considered the princess of his all-boys school next door because of his feminine frame. Akira wants to join Mizuki's band when their singer moved away. Mizuki was against it as first but finally gave in. What is in hold for these two??

This took me quite awhile to get into. In the beginning, I was really annoyed by the fact that the girl looks like a g
Jordan
I have conflicted thoughts toward this...

FIRST THINGS FIRST: The short one is the boy. The tan haired one is the girl. There are a lot of awkward gender themes, even though it's not yaoi or yuri or anything. If it bothers you, no more further reading is neccessary ^^

Alright, art is wonderful, assuming you like the style, which is pretty typical of a shojo. They are relatively attractive characters, and obviously a bit... switched around. For instance, I admit that Mizuki wasn't too bad looking.
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
Aug 30, 2013 Skye (Skye's Scribblings) rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Black Bird
Interesting twist - girl who looks like a boy, boy who looks like a girl. Definitely made for confusing romantic scenes (I had to CONSTANTLY remind myself Mizuki was a girl). Always thought this was Yaoi - imagine my surprise, although it certainly still looked and felt like it.

Loved the concept, but it was too sexual for my tastes - most definitely on the Mature side of Older Teen. Akira was way too forceful, and I never quite pinned down his character - he was gentle one minute and a beast th
Mazohyst
I haven't read a genderbender in a while. Even though I read the summary, clearly saying that this was a genderbender, the first few pages caught me in a surprise.

Ai Ore! consists of an all girl band who looks likes guys, and a guy who looks like a girl and wants to be in the band, and at the same time is in love with one of the members of band. Read this over and over again until you are completely familiar with it.

Genderbending aside... Actually, I'm not done with that. Throughout the whole vo
Feliza
I was really enjoying this manga - it's very funny and an entertaining romantic read - until I reached the end of the volume. It seems light and like a typical romance at first, but it gets a bit more disturbing towards the end, to the point that despite how much I enjoyed the series so far, I'm not sure if I want to continue reading this series.
Vanessa
What a way for the ending to destroy a good manga. The ending is the reason why I give it two stars instead of four, which is what I was intending all along. I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series after that awful ending. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.
fabby
May 09, 2014 fabby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
at first I didn't feel like I liked it too much it sounded it and read a little too ordinary and only the reversal of ways they were treated made a difference but it got better so I'm looking forward to the second issue
Sami C
You know...there were countless times during this volume that I thought, "I should just stop reading". I had to keep reminding myself which one was a girl, and which one was a boy. I was more confused than entertained.
Rossana Peña Rivera
Me encanta la historia, el dibujo, los personajes, todo de principio a fin. me encantan las mangas de Mayu Shinjo sobre todo el arte que pone en los ojos
Chrissie
Absolutely disgusting. Selfish, dramatic characters with a rudimentary plot focused entirely on the shock value of putting the characters in sexual situations. a plot point even suggests that rape should be used as a punishment. Which is so morbid I can't even think properly.
Rachael
Very entertaining.
Arielle Rae Aguilar
Type of text: graphic novel/manga

At first I was confused but the more I read it, the more I loved it! By the time I even finished reading the first chapter, I was already squealing and grinning and laughing. I absolutely LOVED it!
The characters are unique and always have a surprise or two up their sleve. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND IT! READ IT! By the time you finish this book, you will be very happy.
Yoselin Aguirre
Quick manga that I purchased while at Little Tokyo.
I've only read the first volume to this but I hope that the rest is just as good. Ai Ore is a hilarious romantic manga about an all girl band that admits a boy into the band. I honestly can not wait till' I finally purchase the next volume.
I feel as if I should warn you though about some of the scenes in the manga. But then that wouldn't be any fun really.
Lucy
There were several times when I thought that someone was going to get raped... but nothing happened! I felt so disappointed. (Just for the record I believe rape is a vile, disgusting, & terrible act, but I find nothing wrong with reading about it.)

Jasmine Rose
I have to admit, this series isn't great and has a lot of downright cringe-worthy moments, but I still find it strangely readable. There are probably better series I could be reading, yet I also find it difficult to put down.
SYNCHRONIZED DAAANCE!!!!
I liked it. It always threw me when there were moments when Akira actually looked like a guy and Mizuki actually looked like a girl. And I liked Akira until I reached the end. Now...not so much. Now he scares me. ; A ;
Kerry
I don't generaly like manga like this and I'm not really sure what made me pick it up, but I'm so happy I did! I haven't laughed this hard at manga in long time. Too much fun.
Chrystal
This was a good read. The characters are crazy and I'm liking them. There is more to Akira than meets the eye so I look forward to picking up the next volume.
Ashlyn
This is cheesy, full of cliches, recycling a recurring shoujo plot, and still very funny. Will read next volume.
 Sariuz
Sariuz marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
793640935 marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Angelic Layer: Omnibus Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Innocent
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 06
  • Fallen Moon
  • Mistress Fortune
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 3
  • Crimson Empire Vol. 1: Circumstances to Serve a Noble
  • Butterflies, Flowers (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 1 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #1)
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 2
  • The Magic Touch, Vol. 1 (The Magic Touch, #1)
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 2
  • Dramacon, Volume 1
  • Loveless, Volume 3
新條まゆ in Japanese
Mayu Shinjo debuted in 1994 in Shogakukan's Shōjo Comic with "Anata no Iro ni Somaritai". She continued writing for Shogakukan until 2007, with her works appearing in both Shōjo Comic and their other magazine Cheese!. She left the company to go freelance citing a dispute over working conditions and abusive treatment by her editor.
More about Mayu Shinjo...
Love Celeb 1 Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1 Demon Love Spell, Vol. 1 Demon Love Spell, Vol. 2 Sensual Phrase, Vol. 2