Start by marking “Rumpel” as Want to Read:
Rumpel

Rumpel

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Rumpel is the dark and quirky retelling of the Brothers Grimm Rumpelstiltskin.

When foreigners arrive on an island beach in search of a lost spinning wheel which they believe rightfully belongs to them and on which their very existence depends, the island inhabitants are thrust into a course of events during which some will become allies and others will turn against their
Nook
Published October 4th 2010 by Eileen Cruz Coleman

To ask other readers questions about Rumpel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpel

Gretchen
I really liked the idea of this book, but the reality of it was not as exciting. There were so many characters and plot lines to keep track of, and the narration changed across chapters. Rumpel did not play a large part in the story for some reason. I know it is a retelling, but I expected the story at some point to encompass the original. A few of the original details were there, but if Rumpel had a different name, I don't know if I would have recognized which story was being retold. Like a fai ...more
Jessica Bronder
Rumpel follows several people but is based around the classic story Rumpelstiltskin. This is a darker, more mature version that we grew up with. Rumpel is a troll that had a wife and child that have passed. Through a series of misfortunes, he has come across the opportunity to reclaim a child as his.

Elizabeth is Rumpel’s target. She has been friendlier than she should have with the prince and is now with child. But being the target of Rumpel’s obsession and the king’s desire for an heir don’t m
Beth
High-points: Great story idea, new take on an old and well known tale, interesting world created, beautiful prose.

Hell-pits: Chapters names confusingly long (unnecessary, in my opinion), important world information only released when it came up in conversation making it seem forced.

Mini-review: Rumpel is told from many different points of view, which was at times confusing. It is set in the kingdom of Rodavlas, with threatened war from the kindgom of Niaps, in a world where you might be born wit
Brandie Lagarde
I was intrigued with the plot because Rumelstiltskin was one of my childhood favorites. I thought it to be well written but have to agree that it was difficult to follow with different narrations and timelines. The story was so compelling that I was hooked and kept looking forward to picking it back up when life made me put it down. Have no fear, midway through you begin to grasp the characters and the author binds them all together. I was disappointed in the end because I wanted the story to co ...more
Liesl
The idea of this book is really cool and I liked the characters, but the way it was written was so confusing. Each chapter was a different character and they switched from present to past in no apparent order. Then, just when I was figuring everything out and getting into the story, it ended with no sequel that I know of. Very frustrating book!
Robyn
Note: I received a complimentary review copy of this ebook. This review is also posted on Amazon.com.

This was a compelling read! This rich and dark retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale Rumpelstiltskin brings the reader to a well-conceived fantasy world where trolls and humans co-exist, and the spirits of the dead roam the earth and interact with the living.

The is the story of many interconnected characters, told in bits from each of their points of view. It is a puzzle where the pieces arr
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
Don't forget to check out a guest post from Eileen Cruz Coleman, which reveals a bit about Book 2 in the Cursed Tales series!

Last year for Fairy Tale Fortnight, I read my first Rumpelstiltskin novel, A CURSE DARK AS GOLD by Elizabeth C. Bunce. This year, I read my second version of the tale, RUMPEL by Eileen Cruz Coleman. I knew the tale of Rumpelstiltskin as well as anyone else growing up, but it was never my favorite tale. I've grown to love Rumpelstiltskin a lot more this past year with the p
Robert
This story definitely had the essential elements of the original Rumpelstiltskin story like the straw to gold and the first born being the price of his help. The story did not have a set time period which was really nice and it was a lot darker than I thought it would be. The main character, Rumpel was not only the troll from the original story but he was also mean and nasty. The intrigue and weaving of the many characters was done well. Ms Coleman did a great job with showing the dynamics betwe ...more
Loretta Giacoletto
Eileen Cruz Coleman’s RUMPEL has given new life to the Brothers Grimm fairy tale. In Ms. Coleman’s version the devious Rumpelstiltskin still strikes a deal with a poor miller: a magic spinning wheel that turns straw into gold in exchange for his unsuspecting daughter’s first born. But from royalty and common folk to spirits, trolls, witches, and angels, there’s so much more to the tale this author weaves, one that in many ways parallels the injustice of modern society—misuse of power, forbidden ...more
Kristen Byers
I was pleasantly surprised by how good this book is. Rumpel is the classic tale of Rumpelstiltskin retold from the point of view of several narrators. All of the stories are woven together to form a tale of love, loss, despair, and hope. I do agree with the previous reviewers' comments about how the book is not an easy read due to the multiple narrators and a timeline that seems to jump all over this place, but I plan to read the book over again just so I can better understand all of the charact ...more
Jess B
I don't recommend this book. This was another book I obtained free of charge for my Kindle. After starting it I felt obligated to see it through and find out where the characters were headed. I couldn't tell you now where that was. The story jumped from character to character and backwards and forward in time so much it was hard to continue following. I was intrigued by the reinvention/expanding on the Rumpelstiltskin character but this book didn't succeed in doing that in a way that was satisfy ...more
Chris
The idea sounds interesting but the writing makes my teeth hurt.
Nicole Trainor
Bleh. I couldn't even finish this one. I didn't mind the jumping of perspective so much as much as the change in tenses/viewpoint (going from 3rd person limited in passive to 1st person active). Also, it felt like things were happening that weren't being described - a character would react to something that I had no idea was going on. At least it was free. I did read the reviews and thought I would give it a chance - should have paid better attention to the less than 3 rating on Goodreads.
Kimberly
This book was a very incoherent retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. Every character in the story was unlikeable, and Rumpel himself seemed like he was written to garner sympathy when really he was a psycho weirdo. The setting itself was strange. Very often I found myself wondering if I had missed something, only to come to the conclusion that I kept getting confused by the strange world and writing. Not worth the time.
Stacy
I don't think I've been this lost in a book since Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Or my college calculus textbook. It just doesn't make sense. I can't figure out a plot and haven't recognized one since the first page. Perhaps it's a formatting issue since it's an eBook? I'm a huge fan of fairy tales being re-invented and updated and Rumpelstiltskin is a great option but this just didn't work for me.
Larry B Gray
“Rumpel" by Eileen Cruz Coleman was a very good book and hard to put down. With all the twist and different character storylines it kept my interest and wondering what was going to happen next. The author did a great job of developing the various characters and their stories. She weaved an exciting tale and brought it all together for a surprising finish.

I highly recommend this book.
Janet Rice
It took me three tries to get into it, but once I figured out the author's style of each chapter having a different narrator it got better. The story is thinly based on the children's fairy tale. Once you stop trying to force it into the constricts of the original tale, and read it for the story that it is, it is very interesting and enjoyable.
Rowan MacBean
It's been a long time since I found a book so hopelessly boring that I couldn't finish it. For a little while I sort of wanted to know what happened to one of the characters so I kept reading but by the time I hit the 2/3 mark (a week and a half later) I really didn't even care about him anymore so I gave up.
Suzanne
Just could NOT get into this one! I stayed with it for 30% (yes on the Kindle)...maybe it was the writing style, but never grabbed me, and I'd rather be reading books that pull me in and entertain me! If someone else reads it and tells me it gets better....I'll go back to it.
Kathy
This was a great book until it ended. By that I mean that it just ended, leaving things unfinished, and me wondering if the author is going to write another book to finish this one! I hope so, as I would like to know what happens.
rainyfeathers
Choppy as hell and unreadable. Not even as a free book could I read this this crap.

Find an editor A.S.A.P. and just remember you don't need to use 5 dollar words to impress your audience.
Annetta
It was a slow sart, but it grew on me. But just as the plot got interesting the book ended. There was no conclusion, no ending, the author just quit. What a disappointment it was.
Julie S.
I gave up after 20%. There was just too much skipping around and the story was not making sense. It didn't hold my interest so I'm moving onto something else.
Debbie
Written strangely, even for a fairytale. Don't waste your time. I already did that. I think book must have made sense when the author was high.
Kelly Knight
I liked this book once I figured out all of the characters. It was a quick little read that explained why Rumpelstiltskin wanted a baby.
Maureen
Interesting twist on an old fairy tale. Despite this book being around 600 pages, it held my interest and kept me reading to the end.
Angie Hoffman
If you want the classic story read the fairy tale but if you are looking for a new twist this is the book for you.
Amy
A retelling of Rumpelstiltskin.
  • Romancing Snow White: A Prince Charmaine Story
  • A Knight in Central Park
  • Prisoner of the Flames
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Wild Knights (Passion Unbound, #1)
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • Heart of a Knight
  • The Seeking Kiss (Midnight Playground, #1)
  • Dark Prelude
  • Into The Woods
  • Lights, Camera...Monsters (Monsters in Hollywood, #1)
  • Garden of Darkness (Pale Immortal, #2)
  • The Last Killiney (Ravenna Evans, #1)
  • The Rhine Maiden
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • The Abandoned Edge of Avalon
  • Legacy
Eileen Cruz Coleman was born in Washington, D.C. to an immigrant El Salvadoran mother and a Puerto Rican father. She is a graduate of the University of Maryland with a degree in History. Her short stories have appeared in numerous literary journals both online and in print. She lives in Maryland with her husband and two children.
More about Eileen Cruz Coleman...
Sweetwater American Frantic (Never Leave Me, #1) Taker of Light Damaged (Never Leave Me, #2) A Daughter's Guide to Traveling With Your Mom