Start by marking “Silence” as Want to Read:
Silence

Silence (Kimmo Joentaa #2)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A young girl disappears while cycling to volleyball practice. Her bike is found in exactly the same place that another girl was murdered, thirty-three years before. The original perpetrator was never brought to justice - could they have struck again? The eeriness of the crime unsettles not only the police and public, but also someone who has been carrying a burden of guilt ...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Vintage (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence

Aoife
White Man Pain. The Novel
Well one of the many. But it's a prime example of one.

Featuring:
- a guy who once witnessed his friend raping and murdering a girl. It was horrible enough that he friend-broke up with him afterwards but not horrible enough that he told the police. It is now more than 30 years later and he still feels guilty but not guilty enough to tell the police. Basically a third of the book is him feeling guilty and don't you feel sorry for him? For the guy who is responsible that a r
Jim Coughenour
A few years ago I read Ice Moon, the first of Jan Costin Wagner's novels to be translated into English, and I was immediately curious about the next. Wagner is German, but his Detective Kimmo Joentaa is Finnish. His plots are set in Turku and Helsinki, amid forests and lakes and the abundant natural beauty of Finland's climate and geography. For a Californian like me, the landscape described through Joentaa's eyes is enough to set me dreaming of endless snowy nights or a midnight sun flickering ...more
Karen
Because SILENCE is the third of the Detective Kimmo Joentaa series, I read it third. (Rebellious you may well think, not paying attention is a much better explanation).

One of the things that I most love about these three books - ICE MOON, SILENCE and THE WINTER OF THE LIONS is the sheer beauty of everything. The place, the culture and the emotion. Sure Joentaa is in deep mourning for his wife who died too young, but there's no sense of self-pity, this is simply a beautiful example of a man strug
Corny
This Finnish detective novel, written by a German, is a muddled ethereal romp through a 33 year old murder case, somewhat in the style of Crime and Punishment. I found it of little interest. I am not sure what the message is but the plot lacks any shred of credulity. The detectives on the case start laughing for no apparent reason. Either the translation is horrific or most Finnish detectives are insane. Perhaps it is the climate. What saves this novel is the character of Timo who as a wannabe R ...more
Petra
Ich lese die Krimi-Reihe um Kimmo Joentaa zwar in komplett falscher Reihenfolge, angenehmerweise macht das aber nichts. "Das Schweigen" ist nichts für Leute, die Tempo und Action brauchen. Eigentlich ist es eher eine Psychographie als ein Krimi. Täter,Opfer, Angehörige und Polizisten - alle Charaktere sind bis ins Detail ausgearbeitet. Obwohl eigentlich nicht viel passiert, fand ich das Buch wirklich spannend. Der fünfte Stern fehlt nur, weil man am Schluß (gerade weil er glaubwürdig ist), ein w ...more
John
A young teenaged girl disappears in the same place and almost identical circumstances to where another girl did 33 years ago. In the earlier case, the girl's body was discovered some weeks later in a nearby lake; she had been raped and strangled. Clearly there's a possibility the same has happened again. But could a sex-murderer really leave 33 years between his crimes?

It's a promising premise but, for me, the book offered little more than this.

The characterizations of the central figures seemed
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Another Kimmo Joentaa detective mystery. Kimmo is a loner and depressed after the death of his wife 2 years previously. He is a man of few words, very introspective and insightful. The atmosphere of his books is a quiet, sadness with a curious desire to understand - to put the pieces together
In this story his boss Ketola has retired - but a crime occur which involves a crime that occurred back in his (Ketola's) early days - 33 years ago. A young girl was killed and the perpetrator was never foun
Carol
This book was better in that the protagonist did not spend the whole book in mourning, but he did not seem the main investigator of the crime, which is the hunt for a missing teen as related to past crimes. The solution in this book, leads to a sequel, I am sure.
Ellen Keim
I liked this better than the first novel in this series (Ice Moon). Although I only gave the first one three stars, I thought it had potential or I wouldn't have tried another. I'm glad I did.

The main character, Detective Kimmo Joentaa, is still grieving for his wife, who died only a week before the first book takes place. But his grief doesn't dominate this novel like it does in the first one. I also thought the story was better. And the end had a bit of a twist, which I like, too.

All in all, I
Anna
If you like the classic, old-fashioned Scandinavian style of crime and mystery stories, you might like this. Think among the lines of Matti Yrjänä Joensuu's Harjunpää series (please do ignore their horribly mediocre translations - the art has been perfected in the past 25 years), or Sjöwall & Wahlöö. Wagner's detective is Joentaa, a Finnish inspector who's got the sad lonely air around him, and not only because he's mourning his wife.

A girl disappeared in 1974, and it took months to find her
I really enjoyed this book - while it explores some pretty dark themes, it's not violent. The story was written from the perspective of various characters, which was interesting. I liked that the plot, like most of the characters, ended up not being what it seemed.

While I liked the ending, it was a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll definitely check out his other books, though.
Elli
Silence by Jan Costin Wagner. He is a German who married a Finnish woman, and this is most definitely a Nordic mystery. They live in Germany and Finland, not the English speaking world. This is a translation, but a good one. I don't think the first one by him that I read was done so well. A third one has come out and I am looking forward to reading it. It's eerie and creepy all right. He goes into much depth with his major characters similar to early Wallender according to one critic. It made fo ...more
Paul Curd
Sally
Wagner is a Finnish writer with a style infested with minutia. He awoke and rubbed his eyes with both hands. He sat up and looked across the room, then swung first his left leg and then his right leg over the edge of the bed. He put his left foot on the floo. Then his right foot on the floor beside his left foot . He took a breath and then stood up.... Tiresome and artificial.Also, the author shifts the viewpount constantly from one character to the next. Too bed, because the plot is clever, wit ...more
Jennifer Thomson
A complete shambles of an opning, perhaps caused by poor translating or poor writer (it's hard to tell) that had me thinking there was one character with a multiple personality disorder, I almost didn't finish the book.

That would have been a pity because this wasn't a bad read. The main two police characters were likeable and the woman who's daughter was kidnapped and murdered 30-odd years ago gave us a good insight into what it's like to lose a child.

Sadly this book was let down by an ending t
Shari
This is one of those wonderful psychological mysteries. Everyone is emotionally damaged. It takes a while to figure out who is who. Names are doled out piecemeal and over a long period of reading time. It's our job to figure out where all the puzzle pieces presented to us might fit. There are times when it doesn't seem anyone is sane. At times we end up thinking no one or everyone committed the foul deed, and just what is the foul deed anyway? What actually was done to create so much blood?

The c
Andrew
My second in this series and a cracking crime series it is. The central detective is Kimmo who in the first book has just lost his wife. At 244 pages the novel is a perfect length and an interesting plot in which the character's are further developed, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next.
Heather
I enjoyed this second novel by Jan Costin Wagner, although subject of abuse in the novel,not described too fully so could read the book. For the next Wagner novel shall make the ffort to find out how to pronounce the characters names, which hampers me slightly. Coincidently I met a Finn in Preston last week,I will have to carry the next book around with me on the off chance we bump into each other, or perhaps just google, a far less interesting method!
T.

I'm tempted to give this a 5, due to its usefulness for one of my prose manuscripts. I'll say more at a later date. In short: great indirect characterization, well wrought emotional states, fragmentation /nonlinear aspect that makes the book more compelling and surprising for this genre. Thinking about why seemingly strange translation choices might make this an even more interesting read ....
Vivian
Dark. Very dark. Unlike anything I've ever read and enjoyed, but I did really enjoy this one, and I liked it even better than the first entry. I've grown attached to Kimmo Joentaa and his team. I thought that this was a good translation from the German, and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Rosemary
I liked this book but felt that it lacked enough detail about the characters to make me feel any empathy. It took a while to get going and towards the end I was looking forward to how it would end. But I felt rather disappointed about it.
Abigail
Enjoyable Nordic Noir from Finland. (Well, sort of -- the author is German, but he lives in Finland and having lived in Finland myself, I think that counts). Adding this series to my crime fiction rotation. Kiitos, Jan Costin Wagner!
Simona
I read this & really enjoyed it today. I also watched the film that the book was based on - The Silence /Das letzte Schweigen(2010): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1361835 - some if it was different but a very good adaptation.
Joan
Interesting study of guilt.

Some experience it and some don't. And for the ones who do it manifests itself in many ways.

Not as good as The Winter of the Lion,so 3 1/2 stars.
Clane
Slow-moving but thoughtful, and unlike many stories that involve pedophilia, you don't feel like you're passing a terrible accident you can't look away from.
Elizabeth
Although the story was interesting the Finnish character names confused me at first. I didn't find the story particularly engrossing.
Stephanie
Humm I really enjoyed this, bit it just felt a bit rushed at the end. So a very good book, and I will read more from this author.
Matt
Briskly paced & occasionally artful Finnish crime tale. A longer, more exacting and Nordic Steven King short story.
Chris
Really moved along but, as usual, I got mixed up between who was who with all those Finnish names. My bad not his.
Lynn Kearney
A new (to me, pretty good Scandinavian thriller, set in Finland though written by a German.
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Das finstere Tal
  • Kalteis
  • Skuld
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Under the Snow
  • Yours Until Death (Varg Veum, #2)
  • Spring Tide
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • River of Shadows
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Die Süße des Lebens
  • Darkhouse
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
Jan Costin Wagner is a German crime fiction writer. His novels are set in Finland and feature detective Kimmo Joentaa.

Wagner studied German Literature and History at university in Frankfurt, and later worked as a journalist. His first novel, "Nachtfahrt" (Night Trip) was published to much acclaim in 2002 and won the Marlowe Prize for Best Crime Novel. His wife is a native of Finland, and they spen
More about Jan Costin Wagner...

Kimmo Joentaa (5 books)
  • Ice Moon
  • The Winter of the Lions
  • Light in a Dark House
  • Tage des letzten Schnees
Ice Moon The Winter of the Lions Light in a Dark House Tage des letzten Schnees Nachtfahrt