Start by marking “I'm with Stupid” as Want to Read:
I'm with Stupid

I'm with Stupid

2.84 of 5 stars 2.84  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  66 reviews

A hilarious tale of girl meets boy, girl falls in lust, girl discovers boy is not playing with a full deck...

When Kas meets William while on safari in South Africa he seems perfect-a gorgeous park ranger, both kind and brave (he saved the tour from certain death by water buffalo). Her two best friends, Max, an endlessly scheming personal trainer, and Libby, a jobless bombs

Published July 24th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I'm with Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm with Stupid

Living in the moment does have consequences…

Kas, a twenty-three-year-old editorial assistant at a small publishing company, is one her way to South Africa with her best friends, Max (a rich enough gay 24-year-old) and his cousin Libby, her across-the-hall neighbour (23 and would rather sleep all day than work) on a much needed break from home. She recently found out her boyfriend, now her ex, was cheating on her with his fiancee. While in South Africa, on her last night there, she has a one-nigh
Mary (BookHounds)
Szewczyk's entertaining debut novel chronicles a one-night stand gone wrong. Kas Sienkiewicz and her buddy Libby are whisked away by their rich layabout friend, Max, on a luxurious South African vacation. At the posh resort, Kas catches the attention of hunky ranger William Johnson. Nursing a wounded ego after learning that her ex was cheating on her (and his fiancée), Kas heeds her friends' urgings and has a fling with William. When he later turns up in New York, the well-meaning if culturally ...more
I'm with Stupid is a hysterical account of what can happen when a vacation fling goes wrong. Recently jilted by her boyfriend, Kas Sienkiewicz is whisked away by her two best friends, Max and Libby, to a luxurious South African resort. Suffering from a deflated ego, Kas indulges in a hot fling with a gorgeous park ranger, William, at her friends' urging. Convinced he is out of her leage, Kas returns to NYC and her job at a small, struggling literary agency. When she gets an unexpected email from ...more
No matter how shallow and superficial I am, no matter how many dumb things I do or say - and it happens all the time - I at least understand my place in life: I am here to make fun of the world. It's usually no more complicated than that.

I won I'm With Stupid by Elaine Szewczyk from a book giveaway hosted by The Misadventures of a Single City Chick. This book has been a real pleasure to read; it made me roll on the floor laughing, it's so funny.

The main character, Kas, is a twenty-something girl
Aug 24, 2008 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a light read
Shelves: fiction
I read this book while on vacation in Hawaii, and my first impressions were positive ones: the protagonist goes off to South Africa on safari with her two best buddies. While there she meets a drop-dead gorgeous ranger and has a one-night stand with him. He ends up following her back to New York, and she discovers that he's unrealistically confident, not particularly savvy in the ways of the world, and distinctly lacking the ability to pick up social signals.

I liked some things about this novel:
This was a great vacation read. The main character goes on a post-breakup South African safari with some friends, where she falls for the best-looking safari guide EVER, and they end up getting it on their last night there. She's a little less than thrilled when he emails that he's coming to visit her in New York... and it's all downhill from there. It's structured like typical chick-lit, but what sets it apart is that she falls for herself. Things don't work out with the SA guy pretty much imme ...more
Martine Henry
This book was borderline idiotic but I found myself occasionally cracking up despite myself. I needed a little break from all the non-fiction I've been reading and this fit the bill. If you can suspend belief for a while and accept ridiculous coincidences you may enjoy this book.

It did remind me though of a Halloween party I went to in college. I met a cute "pirate" - you know the type - big gold earring, black eyeliner, cute British accent - Johnny Depp way before his time. We agreed to meet fo
Shannon McGee
The book was interesting in the beginning, when they first made the trip to South Africa. Once they got to New York again, it became a little predicable. I have seen this storyline in tv shows, and to me it is an unrealistic story. I can't see it ever happening to someone. This book had it's humorous moments, but it just didn't have enough story or plot for me. It had it serious moments too. In fact, one moment about Kas and her brother Henryk had me tearing up. I think had the book mixed the se ...more
I laughed and laughed! It's written like a sitcom. The characters are colorful, lively and hilarious. Highly recommended read!!
I struggled in the beginning with this book and it felt like it was going nowhere. That said it was in fact going nowhere but in the middle were lots of bits of funny moments. This book in my opinion is exactly what I needed and that is candy - not that good for you, some of it not all that enjoyable, but little bits of sweetness along the way.
Congrats to Miss Szewczyk for writing a first novel that had a plot and was entertaining. To do this, she drew from what she knew aka her own Polish Heritage and everyday experiences. The final product was a light reading with over the top characters, pop culture references, hysterical situations, and events that made you think "Hey that happened to me recently."

If you are looking for something that requires a use of your brain, don't pick this up. Like the title insinuates this is meant to be a
this is a book that you finish and then ask yourself "what the hell just happened?" the first part was good, but the story just got weirder and weirder after william arrived in new york. there were so many extraneous characters that it got hard to keep track of them all, and the one plot thread i liked, the evolving relationship between kas and her brother, needed more exploration. there didn't seem to be any sense of completion, and i needed that. it's anti-chick lit and had funny parts, but th ...more
I could almost relate to Kas too much. The fact that she did things she didn't want to do because she didn't want to hurt someone's feelings is me in a nutshell. I understood her motives behind so many of her decisions that it was kind of scary. And at the end when she said what was on her mind to a certain someone, it felt like a tiny victory for me. Loved it!
This book had some funny moments, particularly involving revenge against a cheating male, but some parts went on WAAAAY too long. There are some truly obnoxious characters in the story, and they talk too much. They're supposed to be obnoxious, but that doesn't make them more pleasant company. The main character should have stuck up for herself 30 pages sooner.
Ranging from laugh out loud funny to tediously repetitive, this is a cute story, written by the editor of Kirkus. Kas, having just been jilted by her boyfriend, is invited by her rich gay friend to go to South Africa. There she meets one of the most gorgeous men alive. When he emails her and then shows up in New York, the title begins to make sense. Not bad!
Finally finished with this one...I found this book to be a unique experience for me. There were some parts that were so funny that I was actually laughing out loud. But the rest of it I just felt like skipping over. It's strange that someone can be so funny in parts and so boring/dragging in others. I'm not really sure what to make of it.
After getting to page 91, I couldn't go any further. The only reason I read as much as I did was because I had books to pick up at the library and didn't want to start reading one of the books I have at home.

There are no chapters in this book. There are parts. Part 1 was 105 pages long. It was slow moving and kind of rambling.
This book was really fun. It seems like it got a lot of bad reviews on Goodreads, but it was really just a lot of fun. It wasn't intellectually challenging. It wasn't life-altering. It didn't make you think at all. But I think that should have been obvious from the title.
This book had a couple of bright points, and picked up a bit for me at the end, but I still found myself wincing as I was reading it. The story and writing style just didn't work for me, and I found the majority of the characters to be nothing but obnoxious.
I don't think I gave this book a fair shot as I only read about 10 pages. They weren't all that great and I knew I wouldn't be able to finish before it was due back to the library so I gave up. Maybe I will pick it back up some other time.
Mike checked this out from the library. I read it on the plane to Colorado. All I know for sure is that I did a lot of eye rolling and groaning. And I said things like "This is ridiculous." I did, however, laugh two or three times.
With this title, it's no surprise this book caught my eye at the library. It's chick lit so the plot isn't gripping, but there are some laugh out loud parts. A nice change of pace to read a book with funny Polish references.
Wendy - Mingo
Truly a pretty ridiculous book, with the odd laugh here and there. I can't say that I hated it, but I didn't really like it either. If it hadn't arrived in my house as a freebie, I never would have picked it up.
Mark Polino
Just because it's twinkie, chick lit doesn't mean it's not fun. The book has some outrageous (an irritating) characters and a few nice twists which I'll not spoil for you but it seemed too much like a farce at the end.
I read this book because I was looking for something light to read and found it. I thought this book was hilarious. This book will definitely make you think the next time you see a gorgeous guy and say what
It was fine. I didn't hate the book but it wasn't one of those novels that I loved. There are times where there is nothing like a good chick-lit novel and this would not be one I would tell people to run to.
Melissa Mercado
I didn't even finish this book. The beginning was entertaining & funny but then the characters became very annoying. I am just glad I didn't pay for it. I got it as a free download on my sony reader.
Merry Bishop
This book was hilarious! I was laughing through the whole thing. I could not put it down and Elaine had such a witty way of keeping a readers attention. I can't wait to read more from her!
Wow! Stupid he was indeed.
  • Closer... (Harlequin Blaze, #265)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Disgraceful Mr. Ravenhurst (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #4)
  • Catch Me If You Can (Men of Rogue's Hollow #3)
  • Amorous Liaisons (Harlequin Blaze, #425) (Lust in Translation, #6)
  • Kissing Games of the World: A Novel
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast
  • Your Roots Are Showing
  • Gender Blender
  • Bad Boys Over Easy
Elaine Szewczyk is the author of the novel I'm With Stupid, which has been optioned by ABC TV. The novel concerns a one-night stand gone (comically)wrong. Elaine is a graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and her work has appeared in The Financial Times, Playboy, and The Chicago Tribune, among other publications. Currently she is the editor of Kirkus Reviews. She was born in ...more
More about Elaine Szewczyk...