Start by marking “The Complete Works” as Want to Read:
The Complete Works

The Complete Works

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  2,693 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Compiled here are over 50 of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories and tales in one giant book. This includes an active table of contents to make finding stories easy.

This edition includes the following stories:
The Angel of the Odd
The Business Man
The Cask of Amontillado
Colloquy of Monos and Una
Conversation of Eiros and C...more
Published October 7th 2010 by Golgotha Press (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Works

Suvi
Me and Edgar first encountered each other in seventh grade, when I was 13. I think it was love at first sight when we read one of the short story collections. Not only they were morbid and depicted the horrible nature of evil I thought he himself was like one of his tragic characters. This edition was a great chance to finish the rest that I hadn't come across. Illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley, Harry Clarke etc.
Katy
Edgar Allan Poe is a mixed bag for me. The stories and poems that I like, I like very, very much; but there are others that are just yawnfests. Still, this is the definitive collection for all Poe fans, so be sure to check it out.
Terrance Zepke
Edgar Allen Poe is definitely the 1800s version of Stephen King. What a dark mind! But what great stories comes from it! I'm not into poetry so didn't read much of that section but like his most famous one, The Raven. I read most of the stories. Some are short and some are quite long. Here are favorites: The Oval Portrait, The Oblong Box, The Gold Bug, The Lighthouse, The Masque of the Red Death and The Murders in the Rue Morgue. But be warned! This is a complete collection--everything Poe ever...more
Carey
This book is probably one of my favorite books. I loved how the stories could pull you into the mystery and make you experience every event with clarity. The stories are filled with drama and murder, and sometimes the descripitons are so good that you can almost feel the exact moment. In 'The Tell Tale Heart' when the heart starts beating, my heart started beating to the exact rythym I imagined the one in the story did; ya it's that good. The only downside I can think of is how it was written so...more
Ashley Logan
Tess
POEMS
"Astarte's bediamonded crescent
Distinct with its duplicate horn
And I said: 'She is warmer than Dian:
She rolls through and ether of sighs--
She revels in a region of sighs:

She has seen that the tears are not dry on
These cheeks, where the worm never dies,
And has come past the stars of the Lion
To point us the path to the skies--
To the Lethean peace of the skies--
Come up, in despite of the Lion
To shine on us with her bright eyes--
Come up through the lair of the Lion,
With love in her luminous eye...more
Debbie
"Father of the modern mystery, the science fiction, and the horror genres" are just some of the credits given to Edgar Allen Poe. This book would be good for 8th graders and above who enjoy these genres. The fact that it is a collection of short stories makes this book excellent for students who struggle with following the vernacular of classics. The stories are short, so students can be exposed to classical literature quickly and easily. Because the entire collection is over 1,000 pages, teache...more
Katya Mills
Edgar Allen Poe lived a difficult life, and his suffering informs the darkness of his work. As an author, I believe suffering informs my work. This is not to say you have to suffer to write well. Or that you should look to suffer. We all suffer in our own personal journeys through life, suffering is inevitable. Heartbreak. Fear. Terrifying moments, sometimes. Edgar Allen Poe's writing inspires me like no other. Very concrete. I care about the narrator. I can feel the horror, I am walking beside...more
Christine
FINALLY! I have been reading this book for years, one little bit at a time, and I finally finished. It should be getting 3.5 stars if Goodreads would allow that. The stories that everyone knows are classics for very good reasons. I've never been into poetry but you can't read "The Raven" without feeling that creeping sense of dread. "The Tell-Tale Heart" is a short story that fully engrosses and absorbs the reader and deserves all the accolades it gets. However, there are some stories in this bo...more
David Ward
The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allen Poe (Create Space 2010)(818). First published in 1938, this is the unabridged Poe. His versatile and volatile works are all included in this single volume of his poems and short stories. My rating: 7/10, finished 2010.
Rachel Whitley
The summer before my freshman year of high school, I eagerly awaited this book, which encompassed twenty-four Braille volumes. I had nothing to do except sit by the pool and read, my fourteen-year-old girl version of Heaven. As irony would have it, the book came in the mail on the first day of my freshman year, when Algebra, Physical Science, and American history beckoned me away. That's why it took five months to finish the book, but twenty-odd years later, I can still remember the haunting lyr...more
Jami Lowe
I'm still reading through his stories and poetry but i thought i should submit something because it's been a while. his stories are usually really weird and twisted, and sometimes the symbolism is lost on me (i will figure it out one of these days) but that's part of why i really enjoy his writings. i don't know if i can pick a favorite, because they all are rather intriguing. 'The Masque of the Red Death' sticks out in my mind though. so, I'd suggest reading that one first. : ) his poetry is li...more
Bryan
All in all, Edgar Poe was and is overrated. I don't see why he causes such a big draw.
Lexa
Edgar Allen Poe is an amazing author (my favorite!) and will keep you on a thrill ride throughout his dark tales and mysterious poems. Whether it's in The Raven or The Cask of Amontillado, Poe has a beautiful writing style that paints a dark and sometimes morbid world with his words that leaves my eyes incapable of leaving the page. My taste in literature is very different from my peers however, so one might find the horror and mystery disturbing and not worth the read, but to me, Edgar Allen Po...more
Nicky
I started reading Edgar Allen Poe, aged 17, in a rowing boat. No joke. I had a summer job at a vast inland boating lake, and I'd row out to an island and sit there reading EAP. My brother had given me a tiny volume. It seemed a million miles away from my provincial existence, and, of course - it is. Dupin, and all his work, are classics. Prior to this I think I'd read a fair bit of Conan Doyle too, but I digress. I don't see how you could give EAP anything less than 5 stars.
Rachel Marie
Well fuck. How do i describe Edgar Allen Poe? Guess i really cant. What i CAN say, however, is how amazing he is. His stories are corrupt, depressing, haunting, chilling, goddamn terrifying, and downright inhumane.

AWESOME, RIGHT?!?

If you don't have the time to get off ya bum and read the entire collection, at LEAST read the following:

The Murders at Rue Morgue
The Pit and the Pendulum
Cask of Amontillado
The Telltale Heart
The Raven
Matt 2D
Edgar Allen Poe (one of my favorite authors), was one of the most famous American authors in his time. He wrote short tales such as, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Fall of the House of Usher,a s well as well-known poems including The Raven and Annabel Lee. If you are a fan of horror and mystery, Edgar Allen Poe will soon become one of your favorites!
Yuki
I did not finish reading this book. I've read some of his stories in isolation and they are amazing, but when I tried reading the complete collection, I read The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym and had to stop. It was so scary I couldn't finish it. I need to finish this book eventually since it is so amazing though.
dario
In a word: fabulous!
The criteria, the tempo, the morbid, the darkness of the human mind, the wizardry to the faint of heart, the hyperbole, the simplicity and the craftsmanship of the plots, the creativity on those ends...
Sir, here, a simple & true lover of your writings...

pd: mind is more betrayer than heart.
David Crisman
Horror that no longer seems horrific by today's standards.
Michael
I bought this book in Perth for like 20 dollars. Some of my favourite stories were in it, that I had read separately as a child. The Tell Tale Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, The Golden Scarab and The House of Usher to name but a few!

Oh how could I forget The Raven, Nevermore!
kenzie
Poe is a brilliant poet, although some of his short stories and poems are quite morbid. They're very interesting, and well written. I really wish that he hadn't died so early in his life, because his poetry was a burst of creative genius.
Brittany Dobson
Aldo
to read his works now as an adult, sheds new light on his genius. to see such a tormented soul lament his lost love, life and talent. the epitome of not appreciated talent. we will never have another, like him.
Sarah Renée
I love Edgar Allen Poe! He truly has a unique style of writing that no other author has. When I read his stories I feel as if I am literally sitting inside of his dark yet curious and imaginative mind.
Chris Rayle
Huuge volume, took quite a while. Worth it, especially looking at how Poe weaves common and almost instinctive fears into his tales. (Being walled alive, driven to madness by guilt or the fear of living alone)
Linda Umstead
Orphaned, abandoned, rejected, betrayed—what a life Poe led! But his magnificent works live on for us to read and reread for the pure pleasure of the words and his fantastical imagination. What a genius.
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado

“I intend to put up with nothing that I can put down."

[Letter to J. Beauchamp Jones, August 8, 1839]”
315 likes