Start by marking “The Keeping Room” as Want to Read:

The Keeping Room

Revolutionary War novel with a difference
When Colonel Joseph Kershaw leaves Camden, South Carolina, to lead the American rebels in their struggle against the British, he leaves his son Joey behind as the man of the house. But what can a 13-year-old do when General Cornwallis comes into town and makes the Kershaws' home his headquarters, and begins hanging American prisoner
Published July 19th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published September 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Keeping Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keeping Room

Julia
May 11, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Great ending, I can't believe the ending!!! If you want to know the ending... TOO BAD!!!!! READ IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victini
Feb 10, 2011 Victini rated it really liked it
This was a good book about a kid in the Revalutionary War. I felt sad at some points. The main character was interesting to me because he was a kid like me.
Laura Verret
Sep 10, 2014 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
From the author of Captain’s Command comes a tale of bravery from the American War for Independence.

The Story.

I’m the man of the house now that my father has left to fight in the war. But I don’t feel like a man – I feel like a scared child. Why, even my sister Mary shows more courage and spirit in the face of danger than I do! But my father entrusted the safety of my family to me. As he commanded, I will stand tall in the face of the enemy.

But then, everything goes wrong. First comes the news t
Yoey
Mar 06, 2015 Yoey rated it liked it
Overall, I thought this book was just not really interesting, by no means poorly written. The story was a little confusing at times and I just couldn't get an idea of it. In my opinion, Anna Myers did an okay job on the characterization, because the history of the family and their background didn't bring enough insight into their lives before the British invaded. This book was more about the change in their lives rather than the past moments before the invasion, the changes were very quick, for ...more
Saneel Patel
Jan 08, 2012 Saneel Patel rated it really liked it
If you like books set in historical times than this is a good book to read. The author Anna Myers wrote many award winning Novels including this one. The Keeping room takes place in Camden, South Carolina and the whole book revolves in this place. The main character in the book is Joey Kershaw whom is 12 years old. The main setting is taken place in the keeping room in Joey's house. In the story his father is off to war and it is up to Joey to keep his family safe. Joey's favorite room was the ...more
Mary Kincaid
Nov 29, 2015 Mary Kincaid rated it really liked it
By Anna Myers
eISBN 978-0-8027-3532-4
Walker Books for Young Readers, 1997

This is a historical novel about the Revolutionary War, 1775-1783. A father must leave his family and fight the British. He leaves his wife and children with his thirteen-year-old boy Joey in charge.

Here is the opening paragraph:
“My father’s troops wait on their horses just outside our front door. I can hear the murmuring voices of the men and the snorts and pawings of their mounts, anxious to be down the ro
Luis
This book was a great read! I was definitely not expecting the ending. There are many core truths that are forgotten during times of wars. Anna Myers does a great job at letting us see things through Joey's eyes, who learns that not everyone was as evil as he initially thought. Furthermore, in Joey's efforts to prove to his father that he is a man, he comes to the conclusion that people are not always right. He experienced what it was like to live under the same conditions the slave Cato was in, ...more
Max Willi
Dec 19, 2015 Max Willi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: youngsters in grades 5-8
Thirteen-year-old Joey Kershaw has to endure the occupation of his hometown of Camden, South Carolina by British forces during the Revolutionary War. Worse, his family home is commandeered as Lord Cornwallis's headquarters and American prisoners are hung in its yard.

Myers's book is historically accurate. While the descriptions of the horrors of British occupation are somewhat toned down for her intended audience, she still is able to effectively communicate the trauma experienced by the Kershaw
Sandra Fahrlender
Nov 06, 2014 Sandra Fahrlender rated it it was amazing
GREAT READ for American History! Especially for a 6th Grade Boy who is a very picky reader. He wanted to read this book, was anxious to know what happens and we actually had conversations other then a response of this book was fine. It included subject matters on slavery, educating women and the importance of treating everyone as you would like to be treated. Highly enjoyed this book!
Shannon Clark
May 09, 2013 Shannon Clark rated it liked it
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
Even thought I only rated thsi book a 3 I can't wait to recommend it to my 5th graders-especially my boys who are all about some war. This story has a great message- putting yourself in another person's shoes. Empathy.

A simple read about the American Revolution and how one American boy started out hating the Redcoats and ended up, well let's just say he was a changed boy by the end. :)
Elizabeth
Nov 15, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oklahoma author.

Revolutionary War fiction novel of young (~12) boy in Carolina who wants to be like his father and protect his family. Deals with key issues of slavery, respect of all human, peace/war, however the ending seemed rush- almost as if wanting to leave room for a sequel.
Olivia
Nov 15, 2008 Olivia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Elementary boys
Shelves: owned
It wasn't my favorite book...but as an education major, I could see where a young boy would love it. This could be a useful tool when teaching the history of the Revolutionary War.
Lori
May 06, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Another historical fiction, this one about the American Revolution. However, my 8 year old son didn't seem to really enjoy it. Maybe another child at another time.
NewFranklin School
May 13, 2014 NewFranklin School rated it it was ok
Shelves: chase-b, grace-r
it was a little to slow reading and didn't really speak to me it didn't really make me think either.
Jamie
May 20, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I KNOW RITE IT WAS LIKE THE BEST BOOK EVA!!!!!! GREAT ENDING AND AWSOME BOOK!!!!!!! Read in school did not think i would like it!!!!!
Addy Browning
Addy Browning rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Julia
Jun 14, 2013 Julia rated it did not like it
ugh
Wende
Wende rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Katie Barnett
Katie Barnett rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Gnmsmom
Gnmsmom rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2007
evans k holl
evans k holl rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Zanéa
Zanéa rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2010
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Mr.
Mr. rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Laura Fossen
Laura Fossen rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Kara Gilbert
Kara Gilbert rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Idelson
Idelson rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Darcy
Darcy rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Kristen G Farmer
Kristen G Farmer rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Anna-Maria Lane
Anna-Maria Lane rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Five 4ths of July
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • George Washington's Socks
  • The Black Dragons
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • The Story of Harriet Tubman: Conductor of the Underground Railroad
  • The Prize: Vermont (Tales from a Revolution)
  • Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah Sampson
  • Lewis and Clark
  • Hope's Crossing
  • George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
  • William S. and the Great Escape
  • The Fighting Ground
  • Katherine: Heart of Freedom (Hearts and Dreams, #1)
  • A Ride into Morning: The Story of Tempe Wick