Start by marking “Frog And Toad All Year” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Frog And Toad All Year

Arnold Lobel

Frog And Toad All Year (Frog and Toad #3)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  22,236 ratings  ·  128 reviews
For fans of these famous amphibians, the continuation of Frog and Toad's saga gives a glimpse of what those rascals are up to all year long. They frolic together over four seasons, with a story for each celebration, plus one for Christmas. Glide down the snow-covered hill with Toad, hunt for spring with Frog, and discover just who is hiding under all that melted chocolate ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Frog And Toad All Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frog And Toad All Year

Susan Mortimer
Nov 12, 2009 Susan Mortimer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 4-8
Shelves: lis-565
This third of four Frog and Toad from Arnold Lobel provides five short stories describing the adventures of two friends throughout the seasons of the year. From the time they come out of their winter’s sleep to encounter the freshness of springtime, on through to their Christmas Eve spent together, Frog and Toad remain the best of friends despite their obvious yin and yang relationship. Lobel’s beautiful and soothingly colored drawings bring to life not only the funny adventures, but the dispara ...more
Cheryl
At least for me, the Frog and Toad stories are the 'gold standard' for very-early-chapter primers & for friendship stories. Every time I read them with my sons or reread them myself for a comforting pleasure, I just felt the warm fuzzy 'aww.' But they're not sappy either; there's plenty of drama.
Annie
If you've read the first two books in the Frog and Toad series, by now you and your child are hooked!

This book, published in 1976, is the third of four books about Frog and Toad, written by Arnold Lobel. This book has five stories, starting and ending with Winter tales.

As usual, Toad is a bit negative and nervous, while Frog is calm, positive and dedicated to being a very good friend to Toad.

In "Down the Hill", Frog gets Toad to come outside and try sledding down a hill with him. Toad goes reluc
Lissa
The story I am reviewing from Frog and Toad All Year is Frog and Toad: Ice Cream. Both Frog and Toad wanted some ice cream, so Toad said he be right back and went off to get some ice cream. Toad didn't take into consideration that it was hot outside and the ice cream would melt by the time he got back to Frog. Toad was a mess by the time he got back, so in the end they both went to the ice cream store got some more ice cream and ate it right there under a tree. This is a fun story all about frie ...more
Matthew
Frog and Toad are THE BEST. Frog and toad are best friends experiencing life in each other's company, and almost every one of these short stories contains warmth, hilarity, and communicates a positive lesson. Every Frog and Toad book is uber-entertaining and totally endearing, and I love the illustrative style. Honestly, it's difficult to believe that anyone has ever given a Frog and Toad book less than 5 stars.
David
Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad #3) by Arnold Lobel is a classic beginning reader about two friends through the seasons: Frog who is optimistic and Toad who is pessimistic. Down The Hill features a classic Toad panic attack. The Corner is sweet. Ice Cream is quite funny. The Surprise is ironic. Christmas Eve is worried Toad at his best.

Themes include friendship and seasons. The text is large font, the dialog is easy to read, and there's sufficient word repetition for beginning and transit
Twee
This is the first Frog and Toad book that I've read. The storylines were okay, but it was Frog and Toad's friendship that hooked me to the book. I thought it was great how Frog and Toad did things for each other without asking for anything in return. A friendship like theirs is one that is rarely seen. How many of us would go to someone's house, rake their leaves, and never say a word to the other person about it? I know I wouldn't keep my mouth shut.
Evan
I liked when Toad thought Frog was lost in the hole and cold, wet, and hungry. I liked the Toad when he got ice cream all over him. I liked the story when he was a little guy and he found the end of the world where the sun was.

I liked when the bird said to Toad, "You are all alone." Then he got mad.
Suzanna
Frog and Toad All Year Long is a wonderful story about two best friends, Frog and Toad. The adventures of Frog and Toad are simple, but still unique and delightfully charming. The two characters in this book, Frog and Toad, are the perfect pair. Frog is always positive and excited, keeping Toad calm when things get a little scary. Toad is a little more nervous and tends to worry a little more than Frog so Frog helps to keep him happy. There personalities balance each other out. In this particula ...more
Ethelen V.
Lobel, A., Lobel, A., & Harper & Row, P. (1976). Frog and toad all year. New York: Harper & Row.

I'm not sure about the current generation, but the Frog and Toad series were a classic when my sisters and my children were growing up. In this collection, Frog and Toad, the ultimate best friends, share good times and memories throughout the various seasons. They rake leaves, build snowmen, and count on each other throughout the year. They portray true, lasting friendship.

This is a begin
This is my kids' favorite book. All four of them gather around and ask me to read it, particularly the story about the melting chocolate ice cream. Frog and Toad are awesome!
Angie
Synopsis: "Friends all year.
In winter, spring, summer, and fall, Frog and Toad are always together. Here is a wise and wonderful story for each season of the year-and one for Christmas, too."

My Review: Another classic to share with little ones, I must say all the Frog and Toad books are timeless and can be read for generations and still resonate. I love the friendship between Frog and Toad, I really do hope that Munchkin can learn to be a friend like they are. I will say though I was a little at
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader.

I've always enjoyed Arnold Lobel, but as a kid these Frog and Toad books didn't appeal to me so I've only discovered there charm as an adult.

This book sees the two friends through the year with a story for each of the seasons, beginning and ending with winter. In the first story Frog forces Toad out of the house to enjoy the winter weather but Toad would rather be home warm and snug in his bed. Next, on a rainy Spring day Frog tells Toad a st
Jj Le
Nayla
Vance Allen
This book is great. The pictures really support the text. I enjoy the way Toad is constantly tormented in some way. I have students who do not want to do anything and they relate to toad. The students I have who are teachers pets and active learners can relate more to Frog. The great thing about that is both types of students are staying engaged and learning. This is also a great book to use because some students have never seen snow. This book took them into a new world.
The author could have m
Ryan Dreier
Out of all the easy readers that I picked out I enjoyed this one the most. I like the stories between frog and toad, they had a certain silliness to them that I think children would enjoy and understand, like in fall toad goes over to frog's house and frog goes to toad's house and they rake each other's lawns without the other knowing it, but then a wind picks up blowing the leaves all over the lawns leaving frog and toad to rake their own lawns the next day. I also laughed when toad didn't want ...more
Ethan
My favorite chapter was "Ice Cream." It was so funny because Toad was buying ice cream and it was melting and he ran and carried it and it fell on his face. A rabbit came by and said that there was a big monster that's brown with big horns. The monster was Toad. The horns were the ice cream cones and the big brown gooey stuff was chocolate ice cream.
Sofia and Francine Dines
Mommy read this book to us, and we learned a lot about the four seasons. We have only experienced Summer and Autumn, so it was good to know about Winter and Spring. Our favorite part was when Toad is covered in ice cream, and everyone is scared because they think he is a monster.
Jess Metts
If I had to choose my favorite from childhood, it would have to be the Frog & Toad series. While I read more fantastic, descriptive, mind-blowing books as a kid, these stories remained the salve of my childhood. Why are Frog & Toad so compelling, so soothing? Here are a few reasons I came up with:

1. Frog and Toad are hilarious. The perfect odd couple. And yes, they’re gay.

2. Frog and Toad live in the world we wish lived in. Kid play, adult comforts.

3. Friendship rules. This is the heart
Ramon LaRoque
what can you say, it's frog and toad... cue Buck Owens "Together Again" I grew up with frog and Toad and I wanted my sons to know about them as well.
Lauren
Leif loves these, and so do I. This one, for some reason (maybe the changing seasons we're experiencing in conjunction with it) was particularly enjoyable.
Sue
Frog is late, and Toad is worried. Toad wonders if a big animal with sharp teeth is chasing Frog. This book has five funny stories about Frog and Toad. Emergent readers will enjoy reading the funny stories about Frog and Toad.

Uses of Frog and Toad:
1. Students can read in partners. One reads the part of Frog and the other reads the part of Toad, and vice versa.

2. Frog and Toad books are great for teaching children how to read with expression. A Reader’s Theater play could be performed using this
Paige Thomson
This is a chapter book that follows to best friends, Frog and Toad. The story contains 5 mini stories that entail the two friends lives throughout the different season in the year. I also enjoyed reading this story as a child. I think that the book does a really great job of breaking down the story into little chapters. This way beginner readers can slowly work through the book. I do think that since it is designed for beginners, that an older more experienced reader would get bored quickly. How ...more
So cute. a great way to introduce kids to seasonal vocabulary and activities. Really, I can't hardly stand how adorable these books are.
Jim
Frog and Toad are hilarious and timeless.

It's great to hear my first-grader read these, and remember the stories from my childhood.
Libby
My 6-year old read this to me. He giggled at how silly they are while he was reading. It can be hard to find an easy reader story that is also interesting, and this one fits the bill. We will be reading the other Frog and Toad books.
Emily
Toad didn't want to go out, but he figured out that he was all alone and didn't want to be. It was really funny.
Amy
Frog and Toad All Year is comprised of five wonderful stories about friendship, one story for each of the four seasons and one story for Christmas. In Down the Hill, Frog takes Toad sledding in the winter snow. In The Corner, Frog and Toad are caught in the rain and Frog tells Toad about the day he found spring as a young pollywog. In Ice Cream, Frog and Toad want ice cream on a hot summer day. In The Surprise, Frog and Toad rake up eachother's leaves as a surprise. In Christams Eve, Toad is wor ...more
Megan Gitter
great early chapter book, outlines the seasons of the year, good for a science lesson on weather
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • The Fire Cat
  • Daniel's Duck
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3) Fables