Start by marking “Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day” as Want to Read:
Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day

Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day

A 2005 Evangelical Christian Publishing Association Gold Medallion finalist. How can we make our lives matter? John Adams and Thomas Jefferson lived in serious times. And, because they chose to live serious times, they turned the course of history. Finding inspiration in their example, James Emery White looks not at them but at our society. He shows how understanding our ...more
Published November 9th 2005 by IVP Books (first published July 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Serious Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serious Times

Charlie Dennis
Jan 09, 2014 Charlie Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
The book was very good as it showed the deplorable state of our "Christianity" within the individual. The book can be summed up in 2 quotes from the book:
The purpose of understanding the serious nature of our time is to undertake a serious life, a life that not only understands the times but is then moved to act within those times for Christ. This will demand a heart that is open to this world, but also one breaking over it."
When we live like salt and light, with lives infused by Christ, it affe
Patrick
It's been a long time since I read a book that punched as far above its weight as this one does. Serious Times can stand worthily next to E.F. Schumacher's A Guide for the Perplexed and Thomas Howard's Chance or the Dance? Highly recommended to and for any thoughtful Christian.
Tim
Nov 24, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
White's Serious Times was a brief read. I appreciated the first part, the historical review, though it was too typically evangelical in its historical villains. It also felt a little rehashed and overquoted (X said this, "long quote"), but it provided a quick overview of our modern condition (including consumerism). I liked the second half, on actually living the Christian life in these days, much better. Its focus on deepening the soul, developing the mind, answering the call, and aligning ...more
Julia
Dec 29, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, discipleship
This was a compact, easy read with great motivating ideas. White emphasizes four areas in our lives that need tending - the soul, the mind, vocation and the church (community). If we can choose to discipline ourselves and combat the comfort of apathy in these areas we will make a real difference in the world around us.

What makes his writing especially enjoyable and convicting is that he is so well read and uses examples from other writings throughout to illustrate his points. I leave this book e
Chuck Engelhardt
Dec 21, 2009 Chuck Engelhardt rated it it was amazing
I received this book free as an unsolicited thank you from Gordon Cromwell Seminary for supporting a student there and quite frankly, I didn't have any intention of reading it when it first arrived. Now, I am glad I did. There is a history section at the beginning of the book that places our current concerns in context and a call to growing an active faith toward the end. I found this book refreshingly non-partisan and recommend this book to those who believe that Jesus left us here to make a ...more
J.D. Camorlinga
Aug 04, 2013 J.D. Camorlinga rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Author James Emery White exhorts readers in his book, Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day to understand and act within the times in a way that honors God and cares for the lost. He underlines the urgency of the Christian message in the context of our time and encourages Christians to be the salt and light of the world while deepening the soul, developing the mind, responding to God’s call and investing in a church body. It is within this context that a Christian can truly ...more
Dustin
Sep 04, 2008 Dustin rated it liked it
Recommended to Dustin by: Greg Koukl
A great concise history of culture and thought and how it has affected our lives. An easy to read journey from ancient philosophy to postmodernism. The section called "interlude" was the most inspiring part of the book. I appreciate that J.E. White loves the church but is honest about its many problems. I have read this book twice just to be reminded of the history behind our current thinking and philosophy.
Jim Hale
Jan 19, 2014 Jim Hale rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Fine little book for young or old. White takes aim on the complacency and shallowness of today's evangelical church culture, without joining the chorus of anti-church whiners who think reinvention is required. This book looks back on what has made the Christian church the hope of the world for two-thousand years. I was refreshed and encouraged, and have added it to my son's lifetime reading list.
Shep
Apr 09, 2012 Shep rated it it was ok
A worthwhile book for readers who wish to see the ways in which their culture influences them and challenge those influences with a Christian worldview. A great prelude / starting point for someone who wants to start reading apologetics. The presentation of various philosophical movements is oversimplistic in places, however, and in some cases I think the influence of these movements seems overstated.
Sean Higgins
Aug 29, 2010 Sean Higgins rated it it was ok
This book was recommended (and given) to me by a friend. It was okay. I appreciate the title and subtitle and, working with students week in and week out, I think it's an important topic. I'd probably recommend other books before this one.
Bruce Baker
Mar 13, 2013 Bruce Baker rated it really liked it
What a challenge. This is an excellent book about being who Christ has created us to be. It is too easy to think that my little life won't make a difference. God forbid! Thanks for waking me up! I recommend reading this one.
Darin Davis
Mar 30, 2008 Darin Davis rated it really liked it
Bought this book at Grace Community Church in Brentwood, TN while on assignment at a client in Nashville.
Shu Lindsey
Jan 04, 2008 Shu Lindsey rated it liked it
"...every believer be seen as a priest, and thus be able to powerfully 'espouse the cause of the faith" to a lost and dying world."
Mike
Jun 06, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
A good read dealing with both the Christian mind, walk and spiritual formation. The kind of book to be circulated in a book and reading club.
Mart Martin
Mart Martin rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Bob T
Bob T rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Nate Sala
Nate Sala rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Don (The Book Guy)
Don (The Book Guy) rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Michael Burd
Michael Burd rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Tina Long
Tina Long rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2016
Gary Allred
Gary Allred rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Kevin Reed
Kevin Reed rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Eric Samuel Samuel
Eric Samuel Samuel rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Me
Me rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2012
Amy Knack
Amy Knack rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2014
Chad
Chad rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2010
Jon Clydesdale
Jon Clydesdale rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2014
Mara
Mara rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2012