Emotional Purity: An Affair of the Heart

Emotional Purity: An Affair of the Heart

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Have you ever given your heart to someone who didn't love you back?

Do you feel like you've experienced heartache over and over again?

If you are emotionally attached to someone, it's easy to cross the line and become emotionally intimate. Then if the relationship doesn't work out, you're left with scars on your heart.

The church teaches us the importance of physical purity;...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Crossway Books (first published May 1st 2001)

Arielle
First of all, I do think the concept and basic idea of this book is good. I believe in purity, and think that you should strive to keep pure not only physically but emotionally as well. Many people tend to overlook the emotional aspect.

BUT

There are some dangerous ideas in this book that could be harmful if taken too seriously. I for one would not let my daughter read it without us discussing it heavily together. The author goes *way* overboard on guarding your heart. Yes we need to guard our hea...more
Cary
If there's a poem I've learned back in high school that I'll never forget, I think it's the poem entitled When I Was One and Twenty by A.E. Houseman. It goes like this:
When I was one-and-twenty
I heard a wise man say,
“Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free.” But I was one-and-twenty,
No use to talk to me. When I was one-and-twenty
I heard him say again,
“The heart out of the bosom
Was never given in vain;
’Tis paid with sigh
marie
Most Christians think about purity being physical, but that isn't always the case. The author, Heather, talks about how women need to guard their heart so they don't unconsciously give it away. I thought this was a very good book as it is also a wonderful reminder for me to check my emotions. As the author talks about (and I've realized), daydreaming is a very unhealthy and counter-productive activity that can make one become self-centered and at a loss of mental energy. It just isn't worth it....more
Alexandra Leonardo
Most people think that purity is just physical. As long as you keep yourself physically pure until your wedding day, then you're good to go. But this book changed my perspective even more. Purity also goes deeper - to our emotions. I know that this book can really blow your heads off because it expressed high standards on purity. But we have an excellent God and no mediocre standard would do. I know that because I’ve been lead by my emotions for far too long. It’s time to end it. So yeah, to all...more
Shannon
Usually books on relationships fascinate me, and I finish them in a few days. Not this one. The writing isn't concise. The fiction illustrations seem quite far-fetched. Some of the conclusions are simply not logical. I agree that the mind is a battlefield, and that thought control is necessary for a person whether single or married, but there's not much practical help here for that. The author seems to equate mental fantasy and emotional attachment. By all means, try to keep a check on your imag...more
Olya
It is an amazing Book actually, makes you think over some things.. I would recommend this book to single/married. It does have some good advice. People who do try to live by the Bible, should try to also stay pure with thoughts, and we can avoid certain temptations if we watch our daily walk everyday. Remember in Proverbs 3:6 in all your ways acknowledge him [Lord], and he will make your paths straight.

If your spending time with a person or things, that might lead you to certain areas of temptat...more
Stephanie
It was interesting. I am not sure I agree with everything she wrote, but it definitely led to some interesting things to think about, especially waiting on the lord and embracing your single years.
Shiloah
Excellent book and all of my children will read this in their late teen years.
Tianna
I really enjoyed this book, it has given me hope that the normal round of what happens between men and women isn't what we are destined for. I loved the philosophy that not only do you have to protect your physical purity, but also your emotional purity. The Theory is that you guard your heart from casual relationships so that when you are married you can give your mate your ENTIRE being, your heart, mind, soul, and body. It sounds to me that it will make marriage a more beautiful experience tha...more
David
Paulsen writes this book from her own experience and gears the book towards women. A few chapters have a section at the end "FOR GUYS ONLY" which helped add to my own reading experience. Paulsen thoroughly examines the topic of emotional purity in relationships and takes a look at how many young adults in todays culture are being defrauded of their emotions without commitment. She does a decent job of pulling scripture but lists them in bunches rather than sprinkling the verses throughout the bo...more
One Weird Gal
this book is great!!!! i recommend it to all young people ages 12+
Ruth Ann
Feb 05, 2014 Ruth Ann is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
will read. looks good.
Emily
I started reading this book with a pretty skeptical and negative attitude, but I was pleasantly surprised. I've never really thought of the idea of "emotional purity," but it is a good idea. I do think she takes it a bit too far at times, but it is a good basis for opposite sex relationships. I also liked that her focus was on dependence on God, not on getting married. So other than being in badly need of an editor (the mistakes were rather distracting), it was a very interesting and thought-pro...more
Cherie
Heather Arnel Paulsen is unafraid to discuss the importance of emotional purity, which makes this book well worth reading.
We pride ourselves in our firmness in the black-and-white issues and overlook the impurity of our hearts. The thing we don't realize is that an impure heart will soon carry over to the rest of our lives. The circumcised, consecrated, holy heart is what God desires in us and it is then that we will draw closer to Him and find more fulfillment than we ever imagined.
Leah
wellll, I think everyone should read this book. There are 'for guys only' sections so it is friendly to guys and girls. I think for the most part everyone struggles with emotional purity (just being blunt, lol), and this book will at least enlighten you on emotional purity because there are not that many books (or anything - except the Bible, of course) that teaches on this subject. and I gave it 4 starts because she in a okay writer, not bad, but okay.
Rose
This book is amazing. It really gets to the heart of the matter concerning purity. The author gets straight to the point and doesn't beat around the bush. I really appreciate what she wrote about. Try to get the most updated version you can. She recently added two more chapters now that she's married and they're REALLY good.
Victoria
May 20, 2008 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone , no age limit
Recommended to Victoria by: Katie
Shelves: romance
This book was perfect. It's about becomeing emotionaly attached ( to a member of the oposite sex ) and at what time in a relationship that should be allowed to happen.
It's about guarding your heart , and how most people only think to save the phisical, not the emotional for marriage.
Ben
I am not a fan of this book.
Which isn't saying that I'm not a fan of subject; I am.
I think the author probably is excited about the subject, but I don't think she has the ability to expound on it very well.
She uses a pretty ridiculous story as an example.
Bethany
Being emotionally pure before marriage is what this book is all about, and I agree wholeheartedly. I was a little confused sometimes about what she was trying to get across and how she was dealing with our questions, but I got the gist of it. Great book!
Brandy
This book was amazing!! I highly recommend this book to girl who wants to keep their emotions pure and right before God. This book will show how to define and set boundaries in relationships, and how to avoid making the same mistakes.
Hannah
A fresh perspective on guarding the heart and taking captive every thought to the Lord. Heather backs her statement up biblically as well. It is geared toward singles but there is perspective for couples as well to contemplate.
Tammy
My oldest girls just finished this book. I am now previewing it before my thirteen year old reads it. So far, I have found it to be a terrific book and it is of great value for men and women.
Tiffany Huggins
This book is aimed toward girls, but there are sections written to guys. I found this to be a really great book-it's a subject that most people don't think about, but i learned a lot from it!
Jane Lee
I wish I read this book earlier in my life, right when I began to become interested in the opposite sex. It would have saved me from a lot of heartaches and wastage of mental energy.
A MUST READ.
Cassandra Noelle
Pretty good, but not half as life changing as Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot and I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. That's just my personal opinion, though.
Lydiana
Jul 12, 2013 Lydiana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every guy and girl
I read a few years ago, and didn't really get it. Now it was really good to read. Very helpful. The author makes many good points. A must read for every guy and girl.
Ellie
Apr 19, 2011 Ellie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ellie by: Melissa Hubbard
Amazing!!! Full of Very thought provoking concepts!
and I think everyone who reads it will find themselves stretched and challenged in a wonderful way.
Mariah
This book rocked my socks off and convicted me in so many ways. I am so grateful for Paulsen's work in this book. The Lord is certainly using her mightily.
Alyssa
Every Christian single should read this book because it explores an aspect of purity that can be and often is overlooked by the Christian culture.
Amber
Loved this book. It was refreshing to see the fruit that comes when one cries out for God to purify their heart.
  • Preparing To Be a Help Meet
  • It’s (Not That) Complicated: How to Relate to Guys in a Healthy, Sane, and Biblical Way
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • Dating Mr. Darcy
  • Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are
  • Not Even a Hint: Guarding Your Heart Against Lust
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • And the Bride Wore White: Seven Secrets to Sexual Purity