Start by marking “Ghost Rider, Vol. 1: Vicious Cycle” as Want to Read:
Ghost Rider, Vol. 1: Vicious Cycle

Ghost Rider, Vol. 1: Vicious Cycle (Ghost Rider Vol. 5 #1)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Once upon a time, Johnny Blaze made a deal with the Devil - and to no-one's surprise but his own, he got shafted. Now trapped in hell, with the Spirit of Vengeance bonded to his immortal soul and weighing him down, Johnny may have finally found a way out. But at what cost?
Published January 24th 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Rider, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Rider, Vol. 1

Gavin
Dec 23, 2015 Gavin rated it liked it
The new series begins, and once again, Johnny Blaze is tormented trying to escape hell every night.

Except this time...he makes it out. Only problem? Lucifer hitched a ride...

The Rider is back, and Blaze as his host is alive...ish...once more. However, Lucifer also made the trip back, but as he had no Earthly host, he bonded to 666 souls who were dying as he crossed over with Ghost Rider.

As he inhabits each dead person, Rider must take him out, but each time he does it, Lucifer gets stronger, un
Jesse A
Jul 06, 2015 Jesse A rated it liked it
Interesting start. This is my first Ghost Rider book so slightly confusing. Is Doctor Strange a normal part of G.R.?
Kaotic
Oct 16, 2015 Kaotic rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ghost Rider Fans
Recommended to Kaotic by: My Father
Shelves: owned
This is the current Ghost Rider series that I'm reading and I love it, the writing and art are both really great.

Mind you, I own the individual comics, not the trade paperback. Which is what this is, but this is the only version I saw that looked right, and I've read past this point.

I don't know why everyone is hateful of this series, it's got wonderful art (I am an artist so I am INCREDIBLY critical of others art, it's not an easy profession, trust me), a compelling story, and great wit.

I gu
Johnny Zombie-writer
First appearance of GR is still pretty good for its time, the comics code just relaxed and more horror themed characters were coming out of the works. Johnny Blaze aka the Ghost Rider was and still is a cool bad ass looking Marvel character.

Vicious Cycle starts off with Lucifer holding GR in Hell and torturing him in a playful way. Like a cat with a poor mouse. Eventually Blaze breaks out of Hell followed by the big red one who is split into shards...666 to be exact all possessing the recently d
Andrew Uys
Apr 06, 2014 Andrew Uys rated it liked it
Not even the latest reboot of the series anymore, this volume sets the stage with Johnny Blaze escaping from Hell yet again. Gone is Danny Ketch ("my" Ghost Rider in the 90s), but a lot of his more 'badass' design remains...except for the motorcycle. While this could be my biggest disappointment with the particular relaunch, the plot behind Blaze's escape - the Devil is hidden aboard the bike when it breaks free from Hell & the Ghost Rider has to stop him from taking over Earth - makes for s ...more
Silas
Apr 21, 2015 Silas rated it liked it
I had this compulsion to check out some Ghost Rider comics. Once again, I find that it's just kind of not my scene. The themes revolve around a conflict between heaven and hell (which I suppose is to be expected, given the nature of the main character). This fits strongly into that mold, and as a consequence is less interesting to me (and I felt like they didn't capture Doctor Strange's character very well). It is rather well done. The painting here is excellent. Still, I'm just not terribly dra ...more
logankstewart
Oct 14, 2014 logankstewart rated it did not like it
This was not very good. I've been on a kick reading comics from the 2006 era. Thought I'd try this out, but it just wasn't for me. Johnny Blaze was not compelling at all, nor was the artwork. The premise is slightly interesting--Ghost Rider escapes from Hell and Lucifer follows after--but not enough to keep me going on.
Patrick
Jul 03, 2015 Patrick rated it liked it
This was a solid read and the art was considerably better than I'd thought it would be. Lucifer being based on Tim Curry was a fun addition.

May very well read the rest of this run.
Paul Young
Mar 16, 2014 Paul Young rated it liked it
Nice art and review of GR's origin. Boring, predictable fight w/Dr. Strange, unfortunately.
David
Sep 25, 2007 David rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nicolas's Cage's kids
Shelves: comics
I picked up an issue of this not too long ago, not expecting too much, expecting nothing really, and was pleasantly surprised. The art, especially the coloring, is a little rough at times, but the basic idea behind the series is actually kind of neat, and Daniel Way somehow makes Ghost Rider a viable character. Which is a tough thing to do when all he's got going for him is that his head and motorcycle are both on fire.
Feather Mista
Qué sé yo... Está bien, mucho fuego y quilombo y maldiciones y malos malosos y toda la bocha. El dibujo está muy bonito y la ambientación está bien lograda, pero tampoco es un comic imprescindible. Como me pasa con la mayoría de comic de Marvel que agarro: no está mal, pero tampoco es ninguna maravilla. Si la intención de los autores era entretener un rato, aprobado.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
My friend Ronnie loaned me this one. It was interesting but not fascinating. The movie made me think the backstory could be better. There is likely some others out there with richer content. Overall this was the better of the two he loaned me. I liked the artwork and action was pretty consistent. The Ghost Rider is an interesting character.
Donald Armfield
Oct 04, 2012 Donald Armfield rated it it was ok
Really never knew the origins of Ghost Rider. Just thought he looked awesome on his flaming motorcycle with a skull engulfed in flames. Either Daniel Way wrote a horrible comic or I found no interest in reading more of the hell firing skull head.
Sue
Dec 31, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
reading the four ghost rider graphic novels that we have to make sure they are appropriate for all our students - i find the concept of the books really clever and the art is crazy! i wouldn't have a problem letting even a 7th grader read these.
Arturo
Jun 08, 2016 Arturo rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-marvel
Lucifer and Johnny escape hell. Now Johnny must fix his mistake. Guest starring Dr. strange.
With great art by Texeira.
Jeremy Spaulding
Apr 17, 2009 Jeremy Spaulding rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is horrible, one of the dumbest stories I have ever read.
tricia e guinle
tricia e guinle rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Dilek
Dilek added it
Jul 10, 2016
Johnny Blaze
Johnny Blaze marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Bookworm Amir
Bookworm Amir is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Landed James Godown
Landed James Godown rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Daniel Vaughn
Daniel Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Jaime Guzman
Jaime Guzman marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Erk
Erk rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Adam Fisher
Adam Fisher marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Hartzler
Hartzler rated it it was ok
May 19, 2016
Sarah Kirby
Sarah Kirby rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Marc Lanham
Marc Lanham rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Class of 2014: Matthew-Book Review 1 3 May 24, 2014 12:44PM
  • Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation
  • Marvel Zombies: Battleworld
  • Fear Itself: Uncanny X-Force/The Deep
  • Ghost Rider Omnibus
  • Siege Prelude
  • X-Men: Fairy Tales (Marvel Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Spider-Man: The Return of Anti-Venom
  • Avengers Undercover, Vol. 1: Descent
  • Fear Itself: Secret Avengers
  • Essential Ghost Rider, Vol. 1
  • Ghost Rider/Wolverine/Punisher: Hearts of Darkness (Marvel Comics: Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Punisher, #1)
  • Fear Itself: Deadpool
  • Marvel 1602: Spider-Man
  • Runaways: Battleworld
  • Secret Invasion: Thor
  • Avengers Assemble, Vol. 5
  • Fear Itself: The Fearless
  • Captain America: Hail Hydra

Ghost Rider Vol. 5 (10 books)
  • Ghost Rider, Vol. 2: The Life & Death of Johnny Blaze