Start by marking “A Lost Love” as Want to Read:
A Lost Love

A Lost Love

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  229 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
She didn't have to guess how Rafe felt about his wife

Brooke Adamson knew the whole bitter story. Because she was Rafe Charlwood's wife, or rather she had been, before the terrible car accident Rafe believed had claimed her life.

Now, three years later, she had a new face and a new identity, and only a mother's love for the son Rafe had so cruelly taken from her could have b
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #740
Published November 1984 by Harlequin (first published August 1984)

To ask other readers questions about A Lost Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lost Love

Leona
Aug 29, 2012 Leona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqn-presents

Four years ago, Jacqui married Rafe after a two week tempestuous love affair...that probably should have stayed just a love affair. They marry and have a few months of happiness until everything starts to go wrong. Rafe becomes a control freak, not allowing her any independence not even the ability to care for their son. She becomes more
~M~
May 02, 2010 ~M~ rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: vintage, romance
Jacqueline
Don't know why I haven't reviewed this before. This was a reread for me. Lovely angsty hidden identity story. The plot, once you have your willing suspension of disbelief in place, is beautifully done. The heroine has been divorced and had her child taken from her. After convenient accident and plastic surgery she returns to get to know her son as a stranger. Consequently of course, she also gets to know her husband again and they fall in love again. Of course it is an HP after all. Loved both t ...more
Jasbell76
Other shelves: heroine-is-a-former-dancer, heroine-changed-her-face

The beginning was slow but then the story started to turn more interesting. I enjoyed more the 70% of the book. Hero's grovelling was GOOD.
I always question myself why Harlequins have a few sex scenes, sometimes just one "detailed" and other little to the imagination/the morning after XD.
Well... this book hasn't have a lot, but since the hero and heroine fell in bed, they share a lot in there :D
I MISSED my epilogue as u
Boogenhagen
Oct 19, 2015 Boogenhagen rated it it was amazing
Lyuda
Nov 26, 2015 Lyuda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hp
Oh, where can I start? I’m truly in a minority here based on all these 5-star reviews. I know, I know its older HP which I normally try to avoid and I shouldn’t expect much but come on… There were so many suspend believe moments and situations that, at some point, I stopped counting them.

The whole premise is ridiculous. The ex-wife survived a deadly crash just 3 years ago right after divorce, ended up in a hospital, elected to undergo numerous cosmetic surgeries to the point of being unrecogni
Lena Papanikolaou
Jun 29, 2015 Lena Papanikolaou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Διαβασμένο σίγουρα αρκετές φορές σε πιο μικρή ηλικία ....Είχα χρόνια να το πιάσω στα χέρια μου.Το ξαναδιάβασα πρόσφατα.Τα συναισθήματα που μου άφησε μοναδικά μετά απο τόσα χρόνια που έχω διαβάσει και εγώ δε ξέρω πόσες ιστορίες αγάπης Τι να πρωτογράψω? για την ευρηματική πλοκή του που μετράει 31 χρόνια? για την ένταση? το πάθος?...Για μένα σίγουρα είναι μία από τις καλύτερες ιστορίες αγάπης που έχουν κυκλοφορήσει.Κρίμα που τέτοια βιβλία δεν έχουν τη δυνατότητα να διαβαστούν από τους λάτρεις του ε ...more
Kay
Feb 24, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print
Fiona Marsden
Jan 22, 2013 Fiona Marsden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love reunion stories
Recommended to Fiona by: Author Preference
THis is a reunion with a lot of angst. Rafe and Jaqui's marriage broke up in a blaze of hatred and suspicion caused by her immaturity and his unwillingness to yield. The custody battle over their child only solidified the barrier between them. Her death shortly afterwards should have been a relief. For Jaqui, re-emerging from her brush with death it was a relief. It enabled her to rebuild her life as a different person under the name Brooke. With the help of Rafe's sympathetic aunt, the deceptio ...more
Julz
This one was a lot of fun with many exciting moments. Some of the other reviews summarize it pretty well.

I thought the plot was interesting and original, though creative license is definitely at work.

The heroine, although insecure during the flashbacks, is strong and enpowered, particularly after she reinvents herself. The hero is HORRIBLE and flawed. He is never really redeemed completely IMO, but I feel that his actions were the result of his own insecurities and I feel that he's sincerely r
Tia
Feb 29, 2012 Tia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit openly that I've never read a book like this. I've read the amnesia books that I guess are similar but never a plastic surgery book. I have to admit I loved this book, I was spectacular, not to mention well written. The characters were amazing, had emotional depth and it felt like being with them in the story. I connected on a level I haven't with a lot of books.

Jacqui married Rafe when she was a young adult but things didn't work out all that well. They both loved each other but
Saly
Jul 05, 2011 Saly marked it as to-avoid  ·  review of another edition
Rapist hero not my cup of tea.
Vintage
Well, talk about the ultimate makeover. H reinvents herself after a car crash results in plastic surgery so she can come back to England and see her child that was denied her.

Carole Mortimer does a good job redeeming what is obviously a cruel, cruel hero. He doesn't so much grovel as fall apart over this new version of his wife.

One thing you have to say about the old school Harlequins and M&B while they may be more un-PC, the have better plots (usually) and much better titles.
Rute Sousa
***FEW SPOILERS***
What attracted me a lot in this book was the plot, I always wondered if I would be able to recognize my husband or I would still fall in love with him if he somehow change his face... Rafe was able to recognized that Brooke was actually Jacqui the instant they made love, it was very strong ....
Body or way of being? What is the part that really represents who we are?
Now talking about the novel itself, I blamed the bunch of stupidity and selfishness that they had for the end
Yas
Mar 08, 2016 Yas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Saintlyjuliet
In order to enjoy this book, you must make sure you get into the plot because without that it really will not appeal to you.

As I was able to get into the plot, I enjoyed the book quite a lot. I loved the drama, the emotions, the angst and the dialogue. The h had no choice but to deceive the H into thinking she is someone else when in fact she is his wife. The woman he was unbelievably cruel to in the hopes of, get this, getting her back into his life. I felt the hero was unnecessarily cruel and
Missy
Apr 16, 2016 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing read.

This book was a totally different lost love type of read and really brings a lot of emotion in. All the tears, the anguish, the anger, and the love just roll right of the pages and YOU feel with Brooke and Rafe. A real rollercoaster of emotion that packs a punch!

I loved how both Brooke/Jacqui and Rafe realized it takes two to make a marriage and that they both made mistakes in the past. They both learned from the past mistakes and are trying to be better because of it.

A nicely w
Pravana
what I liked about Leona's review
"This book absolutely packed a punch. I have read many themes in my romance novels, amnesia, revenge, second chances, etc, but never a book about hidden identity."
....I have to say that I did not care for Rafe one bit. Even the big reveal at the end where he tried to justify his actions, left me cold......
... I didn't feel that Rafe deserved her or the HEA.....I still can't take away from the intensity and entertainment of this read"

what I liked about Lyuda's rev
Jenny
Jun 28, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
The heroine left me cold. I thought she was extremely self-centered and immature and the alpha but caring and tender hero was too good for her. Still it was a fun enjoyable ride. It was worth the read!
Lilydaffodils
Apr 12, 2014 Lilydaffodils rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much respect for the heroine. I love the story and the way the hero kept his silent about him knowing Brooke as his wife his agony and delight rediscovering her. I like the way they resolved their past mistakes(Jealousy,misunderstaning, immaturity and violence) I only hate the part where in he pulled her necklace on her neck the causes bruises on her lovely neck ughhh..I hate to say this but the hero had a tendency to hurt his wife physicaly and practically rape her..nevertheless he realized ...more
Sheila Melo
Just Too Crazy a Plot to Ultimately Accept

FINAL DECISION: While I have always loved some of Carole Mortimer's old books because they are just big and emotional and with some crazy plots. This book isn't one of my favorites because the crazy plot is not well resolved.

THE STORY: Rafe Charlwood is a widower who everyone knows hates his dead wife. Her infidelity led him to taking sole custody of their son. HIs wife then died in a car accident. At that car acccident, Brooke Adamson was born. With a
Ira
Mar 17, 2016 Ira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stars for the heroine.

Poor thing!
She married the hero when she was only 18 and he was a perfect 36 years old guy! Well, at least that how she felt.
So, we should know who the growns up in this relationship shouldn't we?

Guess what happened?
The married broken down, the hubby cut her relationship with their baby boy and she had to run away to the state to start a new life.
When she almost dead because a car crash she beg the lady who need to indetify her to tell the hubby she was dead.
Because sh
Sahar
Feb 12, 2016 Sahar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ending felt rushed and I didn't buy H's reasoning about being cruel so she would come back to him like dafuq you talking about man?
Lilyfrancesca
May 16, 2015 Lilyfrancesca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, each time I read, it makes me cry.
Fatima
Aug 26, 2015 Fatima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I liked the story was fantasticI
Pearl Eke
Jan 27, 2014 Pearl Eke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it but boy did i cry.. just a lil bit tho
April Brookshire
Nov 19, 2014 April Brookshire rated it liked it
Shelves: harlequin
This was a good story, but I think the heroine should take maybe 1% of the blame for things going south in their marriage. 99% is definitely ALL HIS FAULT. What a bastard he was. No excuses. Amazingly, I actually believe the HEA.
Francis
Dec 09, 2012 Francis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
esta novela me dejo impresionada, no la solte desde la primera pagina el desarrollo de los personajes y la historia me dejaron impresionada estoy feliz por la heroina que lucho por su hijo y su esposo
100sweet
Apr 28, 2016 100sweet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The H was definitely crazy about the h. I also liked that the h wasn't falling over herself to be with the H. She insulted him when he deserved it.
J.D.
It was a great book, but I would have liked it more if there were at least couple of chapters in heroes point of view.
  • A Vengeful Passion (Harlequin Presents, #1696)
  • Lelaki Dalam Ingatan
  • Shattered Trust
  • Lost in Love
  • The Fire Of Spring (Silhouette Desire, No 265)
  • A Whirlwind Marriage
  • A Lingering Melody
  • Saved from Sin
  • Devil in Spurs
  • A Man to be Feared
I have written almost 200 romance novels in contemporary and Regency.

I am a USA Today Bestselling Author and recipient of the 2015 RWA Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2014 I received a Pioneer of Romance Award from Romantic Times in the US and in 2012 I was recognised by Queen Elizabeth II for my 'outstanding service to literature'.

I am very happily married to Peter with six sons, and live on the
More about Carole Mortimer...