Start by marking “Classical Music for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Classical Music for Dummies

Classical Music for Dummies

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The more you know about classical music, the more you love it. Now, thanks to "Classical Music For Dummies," you can achieve a whole new level of insight into both the composers and the compositions that have made classical music one of the great accomplishments of humankind. "Classical Music For Dummies" doesn't assume that you have a degree in musicology -- or even that ...more
Published September 4th 1997 by For Dummies (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Music for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Music for Dummies

Marleen
Feb 08, 2012 Marleen rated it really liked it
This fun, friendly and well-thought-out guidebook (for non-initated) has been on my bedside table for the better part of 2011. Each night I would read snippets and get a better understanding of what classical music is all about. For an entire year I would pick 1 composer every two or three weeks, read about him and then go to the library to get his main work on multiple CDs. I would listen to the various pieces (on my iPod, at home, sometimes at work, or in the car), then I'd move on to another ...more
Jasmine Wheeler
May 06, 2013 Jasmine Wheeler rated it it was amazing
This book is quite a fun read. The authors, unlike some other classical music historians, try very hard to make it fun and user-friendly, and in my case it worked! Readers will laugh when they read this fun book. It covers the history of classical music, why it's important, concert guidelines, and much, much, more!
Jenny
Jul 14, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Loves it. Great humour and a good amount of info. Just what I was after.
Elizabeth
Jun 18, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This is a really nice basic overview of classical music. Composers, orchestras, pieces, instruments, and basic music theory are all covered topics. I do wish there were a few more lists- grouping composers by period, grouping them by country, etc. I do feel you get a good taste of the important composers and their works as well as some insight into orchestras and pieces.

Recommended for someone who hasn't studied music before or needs a quick review.
Ken
Mar 11, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a useful book. Although we have been going to classical music concerts for a couple of years now, I still consider myself a classical music rookie and not particularly knowledgeable. Now I feel like I have a good foundation to build on as I learn more about classical music. One of the most helpful sections for me was the history of classical music, which surveyed major movements in music with spotlights on the important composers from each period. I learned that I had no good idea of wh ...more
Michaelchan
Sep 26, 2015 Michaelchan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Light and easy reading with plenty of interesting historical figures of the classical music world. I like the way this book fills a typical boring subject will little surprises that keep me turning the pages for more.
Sam Pryce
Apr 13, 2015 Sam Pryce rated it it was amazing
Indispensable, engrossing and really very funny, this is perfect for anyone who, like me, is both baffled and fascinated by classical music. Pogue and Speck lead you through the entire canon, the entire orchestra and everything else you could possibly wonder about the classical music world, all in this highly entertaining tone. They make you want to hear everything there is to hear, and more.
Bonnie
Jul 11, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, nonfiction, 2012
I would love to take a college-level course from these guys. This book is really funny, not to mention well-written and laid out, fascinating at times, interesting at others, and a great way to learn a topic I have very little experience with. We read the 80 page chapter on the composers of classical music during dinner with the kids. The stories about the composer's lives were very entertaining.
Jim
Jan 25, 2008 Jim rated it did not like it
I'm trying to learn more about classical music; so I bought this book. Big mistake. I think that maybe I shouldn't read books that are written for dummies. How about "Classical Music for Moderately Intelligent People with Little Background in the Topic"? If anyone can recommend such a book, please let me know.
Pam Chun
Nov 03, 2013 Pam Chun rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of David Pogue. This book reflects his irreverent humor. I'm a musician and still learned a lot, and was reminded of much I haven't reviewed since I was a child taking piano lessons. Fun, informative, detailed. A GREAT gift for the right friend!
Jon
Sep 04, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
I’ve never had any formal musical theory training, so I really wanted a quick way to learn about classical music. This book gives a great, quick overview to classical music for those who haven’t studied music.
Doc Kinne
Mar 08, 2013 Doc Kinne rated it really liked it
Very nice introduction to both the music and the theory. I may have understood more music theory here than before. The included CD was just good enough for illustrative purposes.
Cornelia
Very interesting for people who don't know a lot about classical music. Sadly, there were not many things in it for me.
Definitely a good book though.
Kathryn
Feb 24, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
For someone like me just learning to appreciate classical music this book is a must. And the included CD just adds to it's abundance of information
Djuna
Nov 17, 2015 Djuna rated it it was ok
Probeert veel te hard om grappig te zijn. Bovendien staan er veel typefouten in.
Chintushig Tumenbayar
Udtal unshihn yumdaa hehe. CD giin sonsood nomoo davhar guilgeh taatai yum baina.
Isaacpants
Apr 30, 2008 Isaacpants rated it did not like it
ok I didn't really read this and I'm not going to. but don't tell anyone...
Frank
Jul 20, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing
An excellent primer for anyone starting out with classical music.
Dayo Adewoye
Aug 20, 2012 Dayo Adewoye rated it it was amazing
A funny and witty introduction to classical music.
Hannah Kinnon
Apr 10, 2014 Hannah Kinnon rated it it was amazing
Taught Classical Music in a hilarious way!
Jane Austen
Love this book! :D
Beth Terry
Beth Terry marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Chrystèle
Chrystèle is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Chris Bunnell
Chris Bunnell rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
default .
default . marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Cumhur
Cumhur rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Yılmaz Unal
Yılmaz Unal rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Celine Tsoi
Celine Tsoi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Hilal
Hilal marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • Poetry for Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Canadian History for Dummies
  • Philosophy for Dummies

David Pogue, Yale '85, is the weekly personal-technology columnist for the New York Times and an Emmy award-winning tech correspondent for CBS News. His funny tech videos appear weekly on CNBC. And with 3 million books in print, he is also one of the world's bestselling how- to authors. He wrote or co-wrote seven books in the "For Dummies" series (including Macs, Magic, Opera, and Classical Music)

More about David Pogue...