Start by marking “Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make” as Want to Read:
Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make

Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make

Kids can sew too! This inspiring guide includes 21 fun sewing projects for children ages 5 and up. With easy-to-follow illustrated instructions and cut-out patterns, young crafters will quickly be sewing up colorful pillows, potholders, dolls, blankets, and more. These kid-tested projects require only minimal supervision and most can be made using simple hand stitches, so ...more
Spiral-bound, 144 pages
Published November 27th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published November 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sewing School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sewing School

Laura Rogers
This is the best book for sewing with children that I have seen (and I've seen some!)

The projects are adorable and have lots of open-endedness and kid appeal. The photos really help get a feel for exactly what to do and the instructions are really slow and step-by-step. They even have photos and instructions to help kids thread the needle! No prior knowledge is assumed, so anyone could pick this up and learn basic stitches in no time. One of my favorite features is the delightful photos of compl
Susie
May 31, 2011 Susie rated it it was amazing
A perfect beginning sewing book for kids. I am using it to teach my own kids basic sewing skills and love the ideas they provide for expanding it to a larger group of kids. Directions are easy to follow and I especially enjoy that each lesson or project is identified by stars that indicate the appropriate level of difficulty. Yet, nothing in here is really hard - most of it just requires a bit of supervision and allows the kids to take off on their own. My girls love that aspect of it; they desp ...more
Jeni
Apr 26, 2012 Jeni rated it it was amazing
A few years ago I taught a beginning sewing class, 4-H style, for some 3rd graders. I shelled out the money for the approved text and set about teaching the kids all about their machines, how to make a straight line, how to backstitch, etc. The kids were somewhat interested, but what they really wanted was to get their hands on a machine. How I wish I had Sewing School by Amie Petronis Plumley and Andria Lisle back then! This book is delightfully hands-on.
Emilie
May 20, 2011 Emilie rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-reads
I got this book from my local library this week. I sat down immediately and read through the entire thing. It was very inspiring. I really loved the tips for teaching large groups of children to sew and there are charming little quotes from young sewists peppered throughput the book.

Projects are easily identified by stars indicating difficulty level. There was also a lot of great pictures which made the projects easy to follow. Most projects are for hand sewing. I think this is a crucial skill
Cass
Jun 11, 2016 Cass rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
My favourite thing about this book is the photos that accompany the instructions. They actually look like they have been made by children.

So many "kids activities" are done by adults, and accompanying photos display an unrealistic result. With this book I could actually see what the child would be capable of achieving, and it helps remind me to step back and let the kids do it.
Tracey
Apr 11, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2012
children's nonfiction; crafting/sewing. Appears to be a solid and thorough introduction for kids learning to sew--from making a knot and threading the needle to basic projects (sewing on a button, making a little pillow) to more advanced projects (pouches, aprons--a few of these require a sewing machine--the book assumes that a knowledgable adult will provide the needed guidance with these parts; little or no machine instruction is given for the kids in the book itself) and even some helpful men ...more
Sonja Isaacson
Nov 11, 2012 Sonja Isaacson rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-garden
This book didn't seem too bad. Lots of pictures and covering a lot of tasks.

However, this still ends up with a lot of "stuff", something I am trying to prevent. Really, how many pillows and stuffed objects do you need? And then it ends with repairing clothes and stuffed animals... not really something I feel confident doing so why would I give those tasks to a 6YO? But I think she's like doing some of these projects so it might be a happy starting place for her. However, it is only at the end wh
Siri
Jul 20, 2011 Siri rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I haven't actually tried any projects from this book yet, but so far this is the best child sewing book I have found at the library. This book actually shows pictures of kids sewing and finished kid sewn projects are photographed, showing the reality of what the finished product might look like, not what it looks like when an adult with 20+ years of sewing experience makes the project- how refreshing!
Many of the projects seem geared towards kids 8 and under and include a lot of plush stuffed ite
Sheila
Aug 13, 2011 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my children, any child
Recommended to Sheila by: amazon
I really liked this book. But I really like teaching my children the right way to do a project, which sometimes (most of the time) makes something that is supposed to be fun turn into a tedious drudgery. This book, while not teaching what I would call proper finishing techniques, is a fantastic resource and starting point for children. My 7 year old can figure out the basic instructions, and works on her reading by working through many of the instructions. My 10 year old is inspired by the proje ...more
Erin
Aug 01, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend (thanks Susie). It is great! Espeically for someone like me that knows the basics of sewing but wasn't quite sure how to teach them to my kids. This book gives you step-by-step instructions and terminology, and demonstrates how to make 21 different projects that the kids are excited about. We are really enjoying it- even my boys! Who knew that Will could hand-stitch such meticulously tight stitches? Highly recommend it.
Katie
Jan 24, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, simple DIY sewing projects for kids ages 5 to 12. The book does a great job of highlighting projects of varying skill levels. All the projects photographed for the book were created by kids, so they have this charming, whimsical, "not perfect" look to them. A pocket in the back holds lots of patterns and templates.

I wish I had discovered this book before Christmas because I definitely would have gifted it to at least one crafty family.
Tashaz
Jan 20, 2012 Tashaz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books
What can I say, so far this is the best book Ive found to teach little kids some basic sewing! Yowza! It totally knocked my leg warmers off when at the back of the book,it provides REAL patterns. Now I appreciate the enlarge to 200% patterns,but I really really like that they have their own.

My suggestion is that if you buy this book,take those little patterns out and laminate the hell out of them,cause that's what mama does!
Kristen
Oct 25, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Very well done. It's written at a second grade reading level, but children as young as five can successfully learn these basic steps and complete the projects. My 7 year old can follow a project start to finish with very little help. Wonderful illustrations and guides for all the basics of hand-sewing. The projects are ones that children will actually want to make. Pattern templates included in the book for all 21 projects.
Holly
Mar 07, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
One of the better sewing how-to books specifically for kids. The projects are progressive build on the skills learned in each previous project. It is primarily focused on hand sewing however, and while it does contain some machine projects it does not give enough instruction about machine sewing. My girls are excited about doing many of the projects in this book.
noor Ali
Feb 03, 2011 noor Ali rated it it was amazing
اشتريت الكتاب من احد المواقع الالكترونية لتعليم بناتي الخياطة وجدت الكتاب مفيد وممتع جدا استمتعت انا وبناتي في تنفيذ بعض الافكار وطبقت بنتي الكبرى بعض الافكار لبيعها في معرض الاعمال والمشروعات الصغيرة السنوي الذي تقيمه مدرستها انصح بتقديمه كهديه للبنات من عمر 6 الى 15 سنه
Liz
Feb 25, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool_art
This book had some great project ideas for kids. Ronan liked the wallet and the make your own stuffie idea. I think the outside apron (for tools and gardening supplies) may be a project that gets made in the coming years. Found at my library.
Julie
Apr 28, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: creative
This is very well put together. I would have loved this book as a kid and I think my creative kids will enjoy getting inspiration from it as well. I liked how the stiches weren't perfect in the photo to show it in a real light.
Teri
Sep 14, 2012 Teri rated it it was amazing
LOOK AT THIS!!! So 5 stars! Got it from the library and it is perfect for the sewing projects my kids want to do, and the mom who doesn't know how to sew. :) LOVE LOVE LOVE. There is nothing you can't learn with a good book.
Courtney Bocci
Jan 10, 2013 Courtney Bocci rated it it was amazing
Perfect for the purpose for which it was bought - to teach some kids a few sewing skills over the six weeks of lunchtime enrichment that my kids' school sponsors every year. Cute patterns, good breakdown of lessons.
Sarah Lee
It has some cute ideas for little kids that are learning to sew. Things that they would enjoy and shouldn't be too hard for them to start with. Gives them a decent foundation to get started on.
Lilia Visser
Dec 10, 2013 Lilia Visser rated it liked it
Shelves: stopped
very nice ideas for those who have no clue. and if you are trying to teach a group of children. not as much for just one. but worth the reading nevertheless.
Rebecca
Apr 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing
Brillantly written, great projects for kids and super fantastic instuctions and pictures. Perfect for the little sewer in your life.
B
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Annetta H
Shelves: resource
3.5 Stars. Cute projects, and I love the idea of a Sewing School for kids.
Hollis
Sep 13, 2013 Hollis rated it really liked it
I would have been all over this book at the target audience's age.
Candycloud
Dec 19, 2011 Candycloud rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who sews.
Shelves: books-i-own
So sweet! I will utterly enjoy making all the things inside.
Jill Miskin
Jill Miskin rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2016
Leani
Leani added it
Sep 08, 2016
Cynthia McNerney
Cynthia McNerney rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Khad Hashem
Khad Hashem marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • Charles Harper's Birds and Words
  • Sewing in a Straight Line: Quick and Crafty Projects You Can Make by Simply Sewing Straight
  • Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers
  • All Year Round: Christian Calendar of Celebrations
  • Cute Stuff: Let's Make Cute Stuff By Aranzi Aronzo!
  • Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby
  • Stitched in Time: Memory-Keeping Projects to Sew and Share from the Creator of Posie Gets Cozy
  • Bird Songs: Of North America
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »